• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization: Beyond Earth |OT| - The Future of Mankind

Beefy

I still can't decide whether to get this game. Having watched the trailers etc it just seems meh to me. This could be the first Civ I pass on, anyone here willing to give their feelings on the what they think so far? What are the negatives/ positives that have changed since the last Civ?

Violet_0

Banned
I still can't decide whether to get this game. Having watched the trailers etc it just seems meh to me. This could be the first Civ I pass on, anyone here willing to give their feelings on the what they think so far? What are the negatives/ positives that have changed since the last Civ?

it's quite similar to Civ 5, kind of feels more like an addon than a standalone title. The potential is there with possible future expansions but right now it's a just so-so game

Played for about 15 minutes anddd crash. :( Before that tiles started to have some weird graphical effects on them, so something was definitely up. May wait until next weeked before trying to get a long game going since surely they'll release a patch to fix the most critical issues next week.

Also a bit bummed that there's no tablet/touch mode in this from what I can tell. Would love to see that at some point down the line.

jwhit28

The aliens are really causing me a headache. I tried the passive approach but all of them except the sea dragon have attacked first. Other than that I've loved it so far. I'm sure the fun of exploring, figuring out the tech web, and quest will wear down quickly and the leaders don't really have the personality to prop the game up after that, but I can still see the game lasting me a long time. Not as long as IV and V though.

I got the game for $35 from Green Man Gaming after voting for those awards to get the free copy of XCOM. I'm sure I'll get $35 worth out of it.

So I created one of those orbital miasma repulsors but every turn it's asking me to do something with it. You can't move it so what the hell is the game telling me to do?

jwhit28

I think it slowly clears the miasma in the few turns before it falls back to earth. To me it seemed like it spread out from the middle each turn.

spiritfox

So I created one of those orbital miasma repulsors but every turn it's asking me to do something with it. You can't move it so what the hell is the game telling me to do?

Did you launch the satellite?

Just finished a game via Purity's Promised Land. The main problems I have with this game is UI, which is poor compared to Civ V. I have no idea why they changed so many of the hotkeys from Civ V when it's basically the same game. Also, the leaders lack personality compared to SMAC, but that's a tough game to follow up on, so I give it a pass. It'll have been nice if they added some sort of interludes ala SMAC, which really helps to flesh out the leaders.

Also, the leaders lack personality compared to SMAC, but that's a tough game to follow up on, so I give it a pass. It'll have been nice if they added some sort of interludes ala SMAC, which really helps to flesh out the leaders.

Many people don't realize this, but a lot of the story that was hinted at in SMAC was expanded upon in a series of three novels released after the game.

It takes a few turns to clear out miasma from the center out. I had a big patch of it and it didn't manage to clear everything if I remember right.

Seth C

Wow. The tech web is so different. Before things and things led to things. Now things lead to things and things.

Danj

You have to actually launch it into orbit before it'll start clearing shit out. Clicking the launch button will send you to the Orbital Layer, where you can choose what area it will cover.

By the way, has anyone tried this on a Windows 8 tablet? Does it support touch like Civ 5 did? And does it run playable on a Bay Trail device?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Played about 200 turns tonight. Never played Civ before.

DogIHaveNoIdeaWhatI'mDoingAtTheComputer.jpeg

I get the general gist... but the skill tree... I don't get it at all. Can someone break it down for me in layman's terms?

I get the general gist... but the skill tree... I don't get it at all. Can someone break it down for me in layman's terms?

I have the same problem. I did play Civ V for a bit, but I am not a good strategy-game player. For my first playthrough in BE ( which, by the way, I am enjoying more than Civ V due to the sci-fi setting ) I chose the Normal difficulty and I am just winging it when it comes to the tech tree. As in, I have no idea what I am doing.

Seth C

It doesn't really matter that much on lower difficulties. Just click things. They like to pretend that you will have to make serious decisions but in reality you can research almost all of it (or ALL of it) by the end of a game anyway.

Facism

Orbital Bombardment is no joke.

Internal trade-routes are laughs. Can get a new colony pumping out 30+ production after it's first turn becoming a city lol.

One thing that's maddening is how little diplomacy has changed. They say the same shit, you get the same canned responses to give back as you do in CIV 5. Like it's been ripped whole-sale with the added "favor" system that doesn't really do much unless you've spunked out resources for the other civs and collected a load of them.

Managed to find the city demographics and whatnot. can't remember where they were, though.

Wes

venison crêpe
Got to play a few turns last night. Really enjoying the soundtrack. Definitely a bit lost in the building/units naming conventions - but that's because they're not as intuitive as classic Civ games as we're dealing with future tech, just need some getting used to. Have to learn what the resources offer too.

Looking forward to get stuck in a bit more later today.

CzarTim

Use the filter in the top left to your advantage. Struggling with low health? Research health techs. Need energy? Take those instead. If you need combat units do Affinity points to upgrade your units.

Really you're always balancing solving short term problems with achieving long term goals. Since this is your first game I'll say it will take you at least one or two more full games before you get a sense of the strategies at your disposal. Until then use the Civilopedia (the '?' at the top right) to learn about the different systems.

Took me so long to finally get going that I won't even get to play til tomorrow night. On the bright side it forced me to uninstall McAfee, because I kept getting Error 53 which is some firewall thing. So I did that and installed Avast since from what I understand that's better. Regardless, I'm super hype for this. I've been watching twitch streams and it seems fantastic, especially since it's more than a little different but keeps all the good stuff.

jonnyp

I haven't even finished one game and I went back to Civ 5. Beyond Earth just isn't fun to me in any way.

I was hoping for some atrocities like in Alpha Centauri .. I am addicted to beyond earth It feels like it's set up to add new content easily so I'll be playing this for a while..

Is it me or are the Wonders weak-ass in this game?

This jumped out to me as well. Most of the wonders are really just static modifiers, and the trade route that gives a city +10 production is better than the 1550 hammer endgame wonder. It's weird. On the other hand, at least there is no hilariously broken endgame wonder like Civ 5's Hubble Space Telescope in this game.

I finished a game finally (been doing a lot of experimenting). Turn 213 on Apollo difficutly, standard speed w/ Polystralia. I got a Transcendence Victory but I imagine that straight Contact might have been faster given the tech I was pushing at turn 160 or so. Got into one war along the way but it was easy to push the AI into a white peace after I killed his army. I founded 17 cities along the way and ended the game with like 290 total population and +50 health. The game rewards getting big and it fit in well with the way I like to play Civ 5.

The game is going to need some patch improvements and balance fixes, but it's certainly not flawed to the core. The game ends pretty quickly when you get to that point and I really dug how city specialization was done in the game through the endgame tile improvements.

I've only played for an hour. But somehow this is the worst looking civ game AND the worst performing.

The UI and overall art direction is terrible. So uninspired.

I'm sure I will eventually get over it becausr I love civ games. But I'm dissapointed from the start.

Chariot

So looking at the comments Civ AE sounds like it will be better to buy on a steam sell when it has dlc.
Maybe, yes. I have fun with it and it plays different than Civ V, but it feels inrefined. The issues with borderless and the monitors aside, since that is certainly not as intended, UI is a bit messy, feedback is flawed and the endings feel empty. I hope they fix that with updates and dlcs.

What I can not agree with othera though is the AI. My AI's have personalities based on their affinities. One harmony fellow actually declared war because I was destroying Miasma and slaughered aliens after he constantly told me that he didn't liked that and that we should live in peace with the xenomorphs. Plus ita a nice touch that their portrait actually changes.

Ont

I don't really understand how people can say bad things about this game. I just played this game until 4AM and loved every second of it.

Clearly diplomacy is not anywhere near Crusader Kings 2, but this what I would expect from a Civ game. Something to be fixed in future DLC.

Facism

I don't really understand how people can say bad things about this game. I just played this game until 4AM and loved every second of it.

Clearly diplomacy is not anywhere near the Crusader Kings 2, but this what I would expect from a Civ game. Something to be fixed in future DLC.

Considering that they had years with civ 5 and 2 expansions, this is something that should have been competent from the start.

Noaloha

Harmony's theme is really strong in the Tech Web.

Going from day 1 planetfall where you find Miasma icky and awful and just want to get rid of it, to -- 200 turns later -- your genetically modified humans riding bugs and slowly coming around to thinking "hmmm.. maybe I should just cover my entire region in Miasma" was a genuinely engaging bit of 4X storytelling.

Chaos17

The skill tree just suck, no point in making in like a spider web when the condittion of winning is much more about just focsing on 1 branch only.

Finished a game last night in about 300 turns yesterday.

UI is my biggest gripe. The much-mentioned 'what did my city just finish building' was annoying. But one in particular I didn't see mentioned in the thread (though it likely was and I missed it) is unit identification after a few upgrades. I went the supremacy route. At the top levels, many of the units...kinda look the same. In the build menu, they use the upgraded unit names, along with a generic icon. Same with the military info screen. Even hovering to see the tooltip didn't help much, it was like 'which one is the rocket artillery, and which one is the gunner??'... I spent 6 turns building what I thought were carriers, just to find out I made gunships. I feel like I have to remember the different upgrade names now. Am I just crazy?

Realyn

Clearly diplomacy is not anywhere near Crusader Kings 2, but this what I would expect from a Civ game. Something to be fixed in future DLC.

I didn't read any strategy prior to the release, played my first game on Apollo and won it without any problems. Challenge = zero right now and I'm not the only one who thinks this way.

No, diplomacy won't be changed in a future DLC. Civ AI is dumb like a brick. You can get them down to 1 city and they won't accept peace, or even ask you to pay gold for it. What about the removal of basic UI features? For example what your city just finished to build. There's zero reason to take that out. You really can't understand that?

Also, roughly 2 days after release full screen is still not working for me. Look, it's not a bad game or anything, but "there's not one bad thing about it" is uhm ... a bit extreme.

Saganator

Not sure what I'm doing wrong but I keep having issues with health. About what point do I start expanding? The 2 games I've played, I expand about 50-60 turns in, and ever since I do that I can never get positive health. I'm thinking that maybe my cities are growing too fast? I remember in Civ, I'd hardly build any farms so my towns wouldn't grow super quick, do I need to do the same for BE? I have 4 cities, each of them has all the health buildings, I'm one virtue away from getting the +7 Health in prosperity, which should put me in the black, but after that it will be time to expand some more and I'll just have the same issue.

Got a Contact Victory at turn 257 - got really lucky with progenitor ruins. Between finishing the beacon and every turn since while it was powered up, I received periodical threats from powers that formelly didn't give a hoot about me. That was funny.

Definitely turning OFF Contact for my future games, the potential for a cheesy victory/defeat like that isn't appealing.

Other than the uninteresting victory types, the only complaint I have to make is that Firaxite/Floatstone/Xenomass should be evenly present and distributed around each player's starting area. Getting a Floatstone-only start when I was planning to go Supremacy and a Firaxite-only start when I wanted to go Harmony was goddamned annoying.

Edit: At Vostok difficulty and Standard game pace. Considering I only played Prince on V (Vostok is like King as I understand it), really says how blunt that victory was.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong but I keep having issues with health. About what point do I start expanding? The 2 games I've played, I expand about 50-60 turns in, and ever since I do that I can never get positive health. I'm thinking that maybe my cities are growing too fast? I remember in Civ, I'd hardly build any farms so my towns wouldn't grow super quick, do I need to do the same for BE? I have 4 cities, each of them has all the health buildings, I'm one virtue away from getting the +7 Health in prosperity, which should put me in the black, but after that it will be time to expand some more and I'll just have the same issue.

Watch out for the unique health building of your chosen Affinity (the one that consumes Firaxite/Floatstone/Xenomass). That, plus mid-late stuff like Gene Smelter and Soma Distillery, plus the early stuff, means that without building them (unique health buildings) you are left with a hole in your health right during mid game.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
How do I trade with AI outposts? I make trade units but option isnt there, just my city

Top Bottom