• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization V |OT| of Losing My Religion, And I Feel Fine...

Sober

I just converted the menu music to Baba Yetu and it gave me an achievement :lol

edit: also, is it just me, or is Catherine's UA kinda cheating, since it basically gives away the fact a tile has a strategic resource even when it's not uncovered by tech yet?

Totakeke

Sober said:

edit: also, is it just me, or is Catherine's UA kinda cheating, since it basically gives away the fact a tile has a strategic resource even when it's not uncovered by tech yet?

Really? That's interesting. I wouldn't say it's cheating though. ;p

Wallach

Still holding out strong. Fucking mega proud of myself right now, I even deleted the demo. I think if I can slip into a drug-induced coma until New Vegas comes out I could even wait until a Steam sale on this.

Arozay

Wallach said:
Still holding out strong. Fucking mega proud of myself right now, I even deleted the demo. I think if I can slip into a drug-induced coma until New Vegas comes out I could even wait until a Steam sale on this.
But look what you did to me!

Wallach said:
I'd just wait until we get some more patches and the mod community fixes up some of the AI issues. The game is good but it needs some more polish for it to be fantastic... and start draining mah life away.

Dina

This game is not grabbing me like Civ 4. I feel like they dumbed down too many aspects of the game, took too much from Civ: Rev. Pollution, religion, city-happyness (how logical is it that building a theatre in a far off city improves happyness everywhere) were sometimes annoying, but it allowed for a deeper gameplay mechanic.

Combat is still good, of course, and so are Social Policies, but apart from that I have a hard time appreciating the changes and thinking it's all better this time around.

Instro

Do farms and trading posts and such not increase output over time(grow) like they did in Civ 4? I'm having a difficult time keeping my income up, thus not being able to afford buildings lots of buildings, thus not keeping up in science and culture.

Btw I cant remember, do epic and marathon games just increase turn count or do they also increase the amount of time it takes to build things and research stuff?

Zzoram

Happiness and pollution were just two different ways to control population growth, the new happiness system controls both. This is better, because having 2 nearly identical systems with different labels was pointless.

Zzoram

Instro said:
Do farms and trading posts and such not increase output over time(grow) like they did in Civ 4? I'm having a difficult time keeping my income up, thus not being able to afford buildings lots of buildings, thus not keeping up in science and culture.

Btw I cant remember, do epic and marathon games just increase turn count or do they also increase the amount of time it takes to build things and research stuff?

The only thing that increased in output over time in Civ 4 was the Hamlet as it grew into a Cottage. Civ 5 doesn't have that, but instead puts a greater emphasis on achieving and chaining Golden Ages for income and production boosts (they're easier to get and much more powerful than in Civ 4).

Epic and Marathon increase turn count AND scale up turns to build/research. The only effect of game speed is on war, with slower speed helping war (since movement speed doesn't change, Marathon makes it harder to make defensive units once an unexpected war is launched).

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone have any good general tips about citizen focus on science/production/money versus food? Like, generally I like to start with a food focus to build a up a population of roughly four or five before chooing a more specific focus. I'm not sure if that's always the most efficient option, though.

For instance, trade routes and befriended maritime states might be better options in some cases to maintain a steady population growth in newer cities who would be better spent with a production focus in early stages.

I guess it depends entirely on the situation, so it's hard to give any hard and fast tips, but there might be some already established ways of playing that are agreed upon as "most efficient" that I'm missing out on. I play on Normal difficulty so it isn't as if I don't have the leg-room to play flexibly.

Totakeke

Zzoram said:
Civ 5 doesn't have that, but instead puts a greater emphasis on achieving and chaining Golden Ages for income and production boosts (they're easier to get and much more powerful than in Civ 4).t

And that's what terrible about it and makes Persia unbalanced.

Najaf

So, I might just be delusional, but I thought I remembered that in Civ 4, once you had uncovered some fog-of-war, and left the area it would go grey. This would only allow you to see the terrain. You could not see troop movement or new cities that came about after you left.

In Civ V, in the manual, it says I should not be able to see those things as well. And yet, here I am, able to see exactly where and when people found new cities in the grey area because the new borders are shown plain as day, both on the map and the mini-map. It's kind of nice to not waste ten turns sending a swordsman and settler over to that sweet piece of land I saw earlier to expand, only to find another player had taken it. But at the same time, I miss that risk from Civ IV.

Jintor

Dina said:
This game is not grabbing me like Civ 4. I feel like they dumbed down too many aspects of the game, took too much from Civ: Rev. Pollution, religion, city-happyness (how logical is it that building a theatre in a far off city improves happyness everywhere) were sometimes annoying, but it allowed for a deeper gameplay mechanic.

Combat is still good, of course, and so are Social Policies, but apart from that I have a hard time appreciating the changes and thinking it's all better this time around.

What I really want is more diplomacy options. As far as diplomacy goes for me, I pretty much ignore it wholesale. Mind you, I haven't tried anything on Prince or Higher difficulty just yet.

leroidys

Do you guys know how to check what cities wonders are in? It was one of the F keys in a previous game. I need to know if I should be raising cities or annexing them.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Dina said:

I'd say Civ 4 is a better game overall. Civ 5 is definitely dumbed down in comparison but it's much improved combat is making me stick with it so far (even though the AI pretty much ruins that too).

Acidote

Last night I was playing as Germany (random), and I had Iroquois in my south border, guarded by 2 of my citys and an allied militaristic city state. I was being pretty peacefully excepting those barbarians I was killing with my only lanschneckt, and sitting with near 2k gold, I had few citys prettty developed and a lot of resource treatys and gold loans to other empires, so the gold income was great.

Well, those little boys on the south border declared war on me since they thought I was weak without considering how much gold I did have.

About 6-7 turns later they were asking for a peace treaty offering me a new city they just made and more stuff as I puppeteered their two northern settlements and was heading for their capital :D. Gold is power.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Man, having too many puppet cities can really harsh your buzz in the late game. I was all prepped to do my usual endgame combo of firing off enough nukes to leave the world a blighted, unlivable hellscape before taking off to become the supreme ruler in perpetuity of Alpha Centauri, laughing in my stasis pod all the way about how all the passive-aggressive d-bag civilizations that had the unfortunate fate of not being me were stuck on a benighted, lifeless orb where the only season is cancer.

... Only to discover that my annexed serf cities had tied up all my Uranium in peace-mongering power plant bullshit. I found myself wishing that we were already on Alpha Centauri so I could nerve staple every last one of my indentured servants for that.

Najaf

Sigh. I just used the map editor to convert a 'really huge' Civ IV earth map into Civ V. For comparison, a huge map in civ 5 is 128x80. (huge in civ 4 was 104x64) This map translated to 216x118; almost twice as big as the largest civ V maps. I set all the starting locations for the different empires. Resources and everything carried over nicely. I was so excited to see that the editor freely allows one to go far beyond the max amount of hexes. But, alas, upon attempting to load it simply hangs the system. My machine is tip top as well. I will poke around with it some more, but I doubt I will get it working. Hopefully someone out there will figure out some tricks to get these monsters up.

Here are some screenshots: (Southern hemisphere is complete as well)
northamerica.png

europe.png

asia.png

Edit: I should note that I did not create the map for civ IV. I got it off of civfanatics long ago. I don't recall from whom.

Edit2: Lol, you can see that hex off in the Atlantic where I mis-clicked and put what looks to be a plains tile. Whoops.

Damn that is mouth-watering. :eek:

It couldn't be a RAM issue or something like that? I know my puny 2GB system will choke if I try to load a Huge map, even Large is a crapshoot.

Moonstone said:
I recognized that I lost my production bonus for the railway several times. A traderoute can be blocked just by units I think.

What I really like about the city states is that you can gift them units. I just managed to win a diplomatic victory with just one war and one enemy. I never really had military units
and was everybodys darling except for Alexander. But I fought all big nations through city states. Some even lost several cities to the city states.:lol
Florence was in the puffer zone between me and Alexander, my only enemy. They did all the fighting for me and even got 2 great generals on their own.

Best thing about this is, that you don't have to pay the maintenance anymore if you gift them away, just try to keep the states happy.

That's just awesome because you can be friendly with those nations, do research projects with them etc. pp, while you are financing a shadow war against them behind their back at the same time. :D
yeah, I did something similar too, only on a much smaller scale. Venice was between me and that douche Alexander and they were allied with me. He attacked them, even I had pledged to protect them a few turns earlier and so I just kept gifting them units until he gave up. I eventually went to war with him myself because he was settling new cities all over the place. Now I own the whole continent. Sweet.

edit: Just loaded my savegame and the game tells me to select which production to do for one of my cities but the button is unresponsive and I can't find the city that just finished production. Is this a bug and is there a way to fix this?

Najaf

Danne-Danger said:
Damn that is mouth-watering. :eek:

It couldn't be a RAM issue or something like that? I know my puny 2GB system will choke if I try to load a Huge map, even Large is a crapshoot.

I'm running 6GB and an i7 930. I'm going to mess around with the scaling and see if there is a sweet spot I can hit.

JayDubya

Banned
Najaf said:
Edit2: Lol, you can see that hex off in the Atlantic where I mis-clicked and put what looks to be a plains tile. Whoops.

No map of the ancient world would be complete without Atlantis, dude. You just have to remember to set it to auto-sink.

Dina

Najaf said:
Sigh. I just used the map editor to convert a 'really huge' Civ IV earth map into Civ V. For comparison, a huge map in civ 5 is 128x80. (huge in civ 4 was 104x64) This map translated to 216x118; almost twice as big as the largest civ V maps. I set all the starting locations for the different empires. Resources and everything carried over nicely. I was so excited to see that the editor freely allows one to go far beyond the max amount of hexes. But, alas, upon attempting to load it simply hangs the system. My machine is tip top as well. I will poke around with it some more, but I doubt I will get it working. Hopefully someone out there will figure out some tricks to get these monsters up.

Here are some screenshots: (Southern hemisphere is complete as well)
northamerica.png

europe.png

asia.png

Edit: I should note that I did not create the map for civ IV. I got it off of civfanatics long ago. I don't recall from whom.

You could change the maps to continent only. Fight on NA, SA, EU, AS, AF and possibly AU. Not that historically correct when you place Japan in Africa, but alas.

Najaf said:
I'm running 6GB and an i7 930. I'm going to mess around with the scaling and see if there is a sweet spot I can hit.
Looking around Civfanatics, I found this thread: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=380973&highlight=RAM+usage&page=2

Talking about reasons and solutions as to why large/huge maps tend to crash. I don’t know, but maybe it'll help you out!

And what's this I read about Civ 5 not having a 64-bit mode? I'm currently on W7 32-bit so I didn't think about it, but wouldn't it be very beneficial for a game like Civ 5 to take advantage of everything that 64-bit offers (whatever that may be, more RAM usage etc? Maybe?)?

2K Greg said:
We are looking in to releasing a 64-bit version of the executable, but it won't be available at release.
Aaaaaah.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=9573085&postcount=9

Totakeke

I started like 10 games trying to figure out how to best exploit Iroquis' unique traits, and every time I run into dead end. If their UA worked for outside their territory, that would be perfect, but now it's pretty much a late game UA paired up with a early game UU since REXing is definitely not an option in this game. It would also helped if the AIs wasn't so bad at warfare.

Therefore I've concluded Iroquis sucks.

On to the next civ... maybe Germany.

Edit: Probably should also still mention that the Longhouse unique building could be very very powerful with the right surroundings, but I wasn't interested in just using that alone.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
i looked in game but couldn't find it. what are the specific bonuses given by city-states? i.e. the amount of culture and food.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Danne-Danger said:
And what's this I read about Civ 5 not having a 64-bit mode? I'm currently on W7 32-bit so I didn't think about it, but wouldn't it be very beneficial for a game like Civ 5 to take advantage of everything that 64-bit offers (whatever that may be, more RAM usage etc? Maybe?)?

Aaaaaah.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=9573085&postcount=9
Not that surprising really, not that many games have come out with native 64-bit support yet.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
XiaNaphryz said:
Not that surprising really, not that many games have come out with native 64-bit support yet.

as a newborn pc-gamer, what does that mean? I was under the impression that all the games I've been playing on win 7 64bit were inherently 64bit

Deku

Banned
Civ5 is definately going places those comfortable with Civ4 may not like. But Civ4 is essentially the culmination of the design processes that went into Civ3. There was nowhere left to go.

I think myself being a little removed from Civ4, has benefited me with 5. People are also quick to forget vanilla civ4 has a lot of balance issues. there were no vassal states, half the AI statesstarted out with an irrational 'hate' of players in an attempt to create 'blocs' of trading groups in the game. It wasn't until BTS and Warlords that Vassal states were added to remove the tedium of mopping up and religion modifiers enhances to allow human players 'better control' over their relations by simply converting to, or making the AI covert to their religion.

There are issues with 5, and I'll need more games to form an opinion, but 5 introduces a lot of things that I think would be absolutely game changing for Civ6 and future expansion packs.
The only thing that felt genuinely retrograde to me are the tile improvements. trading outposts not evolving into something more substantial is definately a WTF moment for me.

But I absolutely adore the new combat system. So long SOD. The massive columns of armies I make are also quite fun to play with. Pikes infront of archers, with cavalry right behind to make flanking attacks. So awesome.

And pro-tip, if you think AI is too dumb, play on at least Prince or above. The combat AI could use some tweaking, but I haven't discovered anything fundamentally broken with the AI yet.

P.S. yes more diplomatic options welcome, but only in relation to city states. That's the big selling feature of the game, and it works at some level. But player interaction with city states are still way too rigid to emulate the kind of diplomatic mealstorm and geopolitical fault-line of world politics the designers intended.

The city states themselves also need to play a little smarter. Most of them are incapable of growing over size 8, because of a fetish for trading posts, and they act like a super bonus resource on the map. They need to 'do' a little more.

And I'm not the biggest fan of the 'quests' they spawn. Relations need to be built up over things more substaintial than that. When Sidon requested my aid from Persian attack then subsequently became my ally ( seems for the rest of the game); it was a genuinely rewarding experience. When Venice spams me about wanting furs, a resource owned by Egypt, a Civ I wouldn't go to war with for another 30 turns, It just got annoying. And the whack a mole barbarian camp quests sucks the most, though i understand why they are there.

Zzoram

Sober said:

How did you convert to baba yetu?

Hari Seldon

I'm completely sold on Civ 5. After my first few games on easier difficulty I was wary, but now that I am playing on King I'm really digging this game. I'm using Diplomacy 100% more than I did in Civ 4. City states add a freaking ton to this game that I did not realize at first on the easier difficulties.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Hari Seldon said:
I'm completely sold on Civ 5. After my first few games on easier difficulty I was wary, but now that I am playing on King I'm really digging this game. I'm using Diplomacy 100% more than I did in Civ 4. City states add a freaking ton to this game that I did not realize at first on the easier difficulties.
I like King a lot. I think it's my sweet spot for now until I learn more about cheesing. Prince was way too easy coming from a decent amount of Civ IV, but definitely a fun way to learn a lot of the mechanics of the game without having to worry about getting wiped off the planet all the time. (I played the lower difficulty levels too and can't say the same though, they all feel like pure sanbox mode where you can literally win in any way you want without worrying about how you're playing.)

BTW SOMEONE PLEASE ANSWER MY QUESTION!!
what are the specific bonuses given by city-states? i.e. the amount of culture and food.

AstroLad said:
I like King a lot. I think it's my sweet spot for now until I learn more about cheesing. Prince was way too easy but a fun way to learn a lot of the mechanics of the game without having to worry about getting wiped off the planet all the time.

what are the specific bonuses given by city-states? i.e. the amount of culture and food.
In general:

- maritime: food for capital, less food for rest of cities
- cultural: culture
- militaristic: units every x turns

Specific numbers depends on:
- your era
- your relationship level with them

LCfiner

AstroLad said:
I like King a lot. I think it's my sweet spot for now until I learn more about cheesing. Prince was way too easy coming from a decent amount of Civ IV, but definitely a fun way to learn a lot of the mechanics of the game without having to worry about getting wiped off the planet all the time. (I played the lower difficulty levels too and can't say the same though, they all feel like pure sanbox mode where you can literally win in any way you want without worrying about how you're playing.)

hover over their names in the diplomacy menu and you get the info for each city state at that exact time.

on Warlord, i think I got 6 culture for being a friend and 12 for being an ally. I didn't check if it varies much per city state. (or by era)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Thanks, but are there set amounts? Or some way in which the amounts are calculated? I'm wondering how the number of cities you hold is relevant to those bonuses. Seems like you get more for having more cities, although obviously that doesn't help you on the culture front as much you would be getting more bang per buck for maritimes.

hover over their names in the diplomacy menu and you get the info for each city state at that exact time.

Ah ok, will give that a shot. Think I went into the actual diplomacy screen or something and I just kept getting the generic info that's everywhere.

Deku

Banned
Gaming Truth said:
In general:

- maritime: food for capital, less food for rest of cities
- cultural: culture
- militaristic: units every x turns

Specific numbers depends on:
- your era
- your relationship level with them

I like how the completely random mix of these states and where they pop changes the flavour of an entire game. I'm currently allied to 3 military city states plus a maritime one off in the corner of my continment. One I acquired as it was on my route to conquering another city state with iron but I didn't want to incur the happiness hit of taking too many cities so I circumvented it. Another I acquired initially because I helped them beat back a persian attack. A third I acquired for the extra luxury I didn't have.

The trifecta of states pretty much 'made' my army for me.

on Warlord, i think I got 6 culture for being a friend and 12 for being an ally. I didn't check if it varies much per city state. (or by era)

It scales up by era . you'll get apopup telling you this also.

ixix said:
Man, having too many puppet cities can really harsh your buzz in the late game. I was all prepped to do my usual endgame combo of firing off enough nukes to leave the world a blighted, unlivable hellscape before taking off to become the supreme ruler in perpetuity of Alpha Centauri, laughing in my stasis pod all the way about how all the passive-aggressive d-bag civilizations that had the unfortunate fate of not being me were stuck on a benighted, lifeless orb where the only season is cancer.

... Only to discover that my annexed serf cities had tied up all my Uranium in peace-mongering power plant bullshit. I found myself wishing that we were already on Alpha Centauri so I could nerve staple every last one of my indentured servants for that.

..nerve staples are the only way to go.

ALSO...is there a way to "watch" a game you played, after having played it? You know...so you can see what other CIVs were doing while you were doing your own thing?

syllogism

AstroLad said:
Thanks, but are there set amounts? Or some way in which the amounts are calculated? I'm wondering how the number of cities you hold is relevant to those bonuses. Seems like you get more for having more cities, although obviously that doesn't help you on the culture front as much you would be getting more bang per buck for maritimes.
They vary by era, though it appears the food bonuses at least don't grow every era.

owlbeak

My only problem with this game is how boring the first 50 turns or so are. It's generally just you clicking Next Turn over and over and over again waiting forever for Settlers or Workers to be built so you can start actually playing.

Too bad you can't set the game speed by era, for Ancient Era I'd like it to be Epic Speed and then once I get to whatever the next one is, return to normal.

Deku said:
I like how the completely random mix of these states and where they pop changes the flavour of an entire game. I'm currently allied to 3 military city states plus a maritime one off in the corner of my continment. One I acquired as it was on my route to conquering another city state with iron but I didn't want to incur the happiness hit of taking too many cities so I circumvented it. Another I acquired initially because I helped them beat back a persian attack. A third I acquired for the extra luxury I didn't have.

The trifecta of states pretty much 'made' my army for me.
One option with militaristic city states that I thought about in my first game but didn't really try all-out was gifting the unit they give you back as soon as it spawns. You get a free influence boost and you don't have to pay upkeep for the unit. If the city state lies close to your border (on an earth map I had Dublin shield my SE Asian empire from eastern attackers) you'll get a sizable, free protective army without loosing any turns of production and have a cheaper relationship with the city state.

I haven't looked into the city state civic tree yet, but I think you can make it so your gifts give more influence? Can you also get units faster from militaristic cities?

How does supply work with city states? Can they have an unlimited amount of iron-based units without a source of iron, for example?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Horsebite said:
My only problem with this game is how boring the first 50 turns or so are. It's generally just you clicking Next Turn over and over and over again waiting forever for Settlers or Workers to be built so you can start actually playing.

Too bad you can't set the game speed by era, for Ancient Era I'd like it to be Epic Speed and then once I get to whatever the next one is, return to normal.
I feel the opposite. I love the first 100 turns or so but that's always been the case with me and Civ. It's even more fun now that you can troll around trying to gain city-state support by picking off barbs. I mean I guess there are a few turns when your warriors are in transit but the AI turns go by so fast at that point anyway. Last 100 turns are still my least favorite part, even though the elimination of SODs makes them slightly more palatable. Honestly once I get to Modern sometimes I'll just bail. :lol

Deku

Banned
Danne-Danger said:
One option with militaristic city states that I thought about in my first game but didn't really try all-out was gifting the unit they give you back as soon as it spawns. You get a free influence boost and you don't have to pay upkeep for the unit. If the city state lies close to your border (on an earth map I had Dublin shield my SE Asian empire from eastern attackers) you'll get a sizable, free protective army without loosing any turns of production and have a cheaper relationship with the city state.

I haven't looked into the city state civic tree yet, but I think you can make it so your gifts give more influence? Can you also get units faster from militaristic cities?

How does supply work with city states? Can they have an unlimited amount of iron-based units without a source of iron, for example?

I had considered it. How much influence do you get. I know city states will sometims request units, so I assume influence boost is greater then.

I usually just walk the units I don't want over to my borders and disband them for the gold.

Top Bottom