• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CIVILIZATION VI |OT| He's Got the Whole World in His Hands

Really feature packed for a first release of a new entry.

Only thing I dislike is the unit movement changes. Feels really fussy compared to IV/V.

SumGamer

I wish I knew more of these games since they are so loved. I tried civ 5 but felt overwhelmed with the options and the tutorial was pretty meh. Felt sort of lost.

I went through tutorial last night, it's very much hand holding. Quite bit of reading to do though.

Had fun last night playing Norse in a quick game. I settle on a coast in the middle of the map. Met Kongo who just south west of me and we have open border going real quick. The guy then brought around 10 Warriors surrounding my capitol and next to my second city. I knew it kinda fishy so I started producing Archers just in case. Two more turn then surprise wars. It was intense, as I plays expansion game and not warring so I haven't prepare for this. Spend over fifteen turns just defending unit then picking them off with archer, more warriors approaching in a steady stream. Around this time my longship has return from exploring the world, I sent it to scout the Kongo city. Luckily they settle their second city near the coast and my longship can pillage from the sea. With their two main productions in flame the guy propose a peace treaty. As a great leader of the world I accepted and move on ... to building army that is. I'm gonna wipe that smirk off your face Mvemba.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Just played 10 minutes before needing to go to work. Seriously considered catching a later train. Didn't tune the graphics so it looked a bit muddled but I like the art direction. So far I'm happy. The gameplay feels very natural. Looking forward to tonight. :)

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Run blazed through the tutorial before heading to bed. Man the music is amazing. The menu music is god tier. Sean Bean's dulcet tones lull me into happiness every time I hear them as well. Such a great choice.

The new Civics mechanics feels like a great idea. I didn't get to mess around with it much in the quick tutorial but it seems like late game you would have so many options. Really excited to dig into that.

Vex_

Banned
Look at that, 1.5 hours have passed already.

This made me lol at work because I feel like I've said this so much... Especially with this game

I usually say it in a sarcastic manner out loud, but I'm actually really pissed because I want to play still... but can't.

Did about 100 turns, but I need to go to sleep. Good first impressions so far. The art style and map is just fantastic. The music is also great. It also runs great, Civ V ran like shit for a while, so it’s nice to see good performance right from the get go. It’s a very solid game and it should have an excellent lifespan.

Blizzard

Banned
Even in the full game I don't see a production queue for cities. Is that gone since production progress now just saves?

Side note, I love that units heal when upgrading. In Civ V that choice was annoying. :p

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Aztecs are hilariously broken. Looks like it's actually a 100% chance to get a worker on kills against city states and civs.

Blizzard

Banned
I found the "View Reports" button but I cannot find why my city has an expense of -1. Do all cities have that by default?

My city has 1 amenity from entertainment. Why is that?

Also, does anyone know if there is a unit list like in Civ V, in case I put a unit to sleep and lose it? *edit* You find this by clicking the unit title in the bottom right, like "Slinger".

Blizzard

Banned
I found the "View Reports" button but I cannot find why my city has an expense of -1. Do all cities have that by default?

My city has 1 amenity from entertainment. Why is that?

Also, does anyone know if there is a unit list like in Civ V, in case I put a unit to sleep and lose it?
In addition to these questions, is there a way to see great people points? I know I can buy great people with money or faith, but where are the normal points which I slowly earn from districts etc.? *edit* They're on the Great People screen.

The-Bean

Haven't had any real time to play yet but I messed around with settings for the benchmark. Surprisingly demanding, the game is hovering in the 20's when it's busy (2500k@4.4GHz, R9 280X). Even lowest settings @ 720p it's only getting 40 in some parts of the benchmark.

Has anyone noticed the mouse movement and UI runs at a smooth 60 even when the game runs at a lower framerate? I've seen this on a few games now and really wish more games done this, it makes framerate drops much less frustrating.

squall23

How do I activate that screen that shows me tiles' food, production, etc? The button always seems to be in a place I never look in every Civ.

Dylan

Is there a PC performance thread, or would that be pointless for this game?

I'm looking to run it on a 640m... a bit scared to plop $80 CAD to see if I can pull it off though.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Have they mentioned why Greece is the only dual leader civ and if they plan to give other civs secondary leaders?

The performance leaves a bit to be desired IMO. The benchmark regularly hits 50-45fps here on a 970GTX and i5-4690 combo at 1080P. This does not bode well for the 2K screen I ordered.

How can this game be so demanding?

Just got 185 turns into a match with my friend. Definitely a solid game. I love a lot of the addictions and how the civics tree works. Our matches used to be super clear by this point in Civ V but it's our closest match ever now. I really want to finish it but it's 4am here and I have to work at 9am

The performance leaves a bit to be desired IMO. The benchmark regularly hits 50-45fps here on a 970GTX and i5-4690 combo at 1080P. This does not bode well for the 2K screen I ordered.

How can this game be so demanding?

It should be fine, I'm running at 1440p on a 770 GTX/4670k without any real framerate problems. Only thing that I turned down was that I turned off the leader animations because that was killing my fps. Honestly Civ is the type of game where 30 frames is easily tolerable.

Maledict

How do you manually assign workers to tiles in cities? I'm clearly doing something wrong because clicking them seems to be almost random?

Just got 185 turns into a match with my friend. Definitely a solid game. I love a lot of the addictions and how the civics tree works. Our matches used to be super clear by this point in Civ V but it's our closest match ever now. I really want to finish it but it's 4am here and I have to work at 9am

It should be fine, I'm running at 1440p on a 770 GTX/4670k without any real framerate problems. Only thing that I turned down was that I turned off the leader animations because that was killing my fps. Honestly Civ is the type of game where 30 frames is easily tolerable.

I don't mind low fps when in a leader screen, but during the benchmark the first part is really laggy while the rest of the benchmark is around 65fps. Then it jumps to 140, then to 45, its weird.

Played a bit today before work. Some AI went on rampage (prince difficulty), I got at least 2-3 "x has been defeated" messages and I only just got out of ancient era!

Very positive impressions so far, I think I'll have a lot to learn when it comes to city building. I'm still a bit confused about the districts.

I don't mind low fps when in a leader screen, but during the benchmark the first part is really laggy while the rest of the benchmark is around 65fps. Then it jumps to 140, then to 45, its weird.

Yeah the benchmark is strange. I went from 25 to an average of 40. The beginning seems to lag. Not sure what is going on there.

Fledz

What genius decided to have the map scrolling by moving your mouse to the edge of the screen disabled by default?

It took my like three or four turns to figure out why I couldn't move my view at all.

Aside from that, I'm just happy to be in the game, although obviously you can't judge much from Civ from the opening turns.

Hah, same! It's a bit broken though. Sometimes the top doesn't work and quite often when I'm trying to mouse over things on the sides it scrolls too sensitively, because the UI is so small.

roUW0RN.png

giphy.gif

What do the numbers in arrows mean?

Blizzard

Banned
Anyone playthrough the tutorial, is it any good?
It is very simple and handholdy. If you are familiar with Civ V it does not seem necessary, but it probably explains a couple of things.

How do you manually assign workers to tiles in cities? I'm clearly doing something wrong because clicking them seems to be almost random?
If you click a title it puts a lock icon and the worker will not move. The location the worker gets pulled from is a (random-ish?) unlocked tile.

In addition to these questions, is there a way to see great people points? I know I can buy great people with money or faith, but where are the normal points which I slowly earn from districts etc.?
I found these numbers are on the Great People screen. You see something like "0/60", or "8.1/120", and you can see whether other civilizations are competing with you.

I also found the unit list. You click a unit title in the bottom right, like "Slinger".

Maledict

If you click a title it puts a lock icon and the worker will not move. The location the worker gets pulled from is a (random-ish?) unlocked tile.

This seems unbelievably dumb. Like, I cannot believe this wasn't mentioned by anyone previewing the game at all given how important micro is for city management at the higher levels. Having to lock every tile but one and then unlock a tile to move a settler one spot is just nuts?

Rad-

Game is good but it's way more CPU demanding compared to Civ 5 (understandable I guess). I tried to start a huge map game with full amount of civilizations and even in the first few rounds it took like 10-20 seconds of wait time between rounds. I guess I have to play smaller maps with less civs. For comparison Civ 5 took like 2 seconds with similar settings.

Also I wish someone makes a normal sized Earth map asap. I love playing Earth maps.

Volodja

So, King difficulty is pretty damn easy, turns out.
Dominated the game entirely from start to finish, ending with a cultural victory that I could've converted into a Scientific victory as well without many issues (whould've taken longer, Domination would've taken even longer and lots of micromanagement).

I am, however, slightly sleep deprived.

neodeano

Argh the non-news about the Mac version release date is annoying; about to jet off for a month and fancied it on my Macbook for the flights. Bums.

dumbo

This seems unbelievably dumb. Like, I cannot believe this wasn't mentioned by anyone previewing the game at all given how important micro is for city management at the higher levels. Having to lock every tile but one and then unlock a tile to move a settler one spot is just nuts?

I think you misunderstand citizens in CIV VI. AFAICT, with a population of 6:
- each turn the AI looks at a city and picks the best 6 tiles, and selects those to be worked this turn.
- 'locking' a tile forcibly adds it to the top of that list.

Basically, you should either be ticking the preferred resources for a city on the panel, or (if you really want to micro absolutely everything) locking every tile.

this game seems unnecessarily complicated

the previous civ games were so good at presenting what you could aim towards on the tech/civic tree and then letting the player figure out when and how to get there

this one seems to have hundreds of random policies that each do something extremely specific.
figuring out the best way to get to them means looking at every single research along the way (and it's associated eureka/boost) on two separate tech trees that span several horizontal pages (compare that to civ4's civics menu or civ5's social policies menu which fit entirely on 20% of the screen).
and combining that with this district placement minigame means also needing to zoom in to each city's tile layout.
and there's a bunch of other stuff that gets triggered by something oddly specific which would direct me to a different part of the map and maybe some other submenu

it's just a mess. i have no idea how anyone could make a decent user interface for this

even something which should be incredibly straightforward (housing + amenities) is a complete clusterfuck compared to the civ4 equivalent (health + happiness)

eventually i'll have memorized enough of the game to optimize all this crap, but it feels like micromanagement hell that distracts from the actual game

it'll be harder to resume a single player game after taking a break (too much stuff to remember about district plans, tech plans, policy plans, etc.)
and turns will be way slower in both singleplayer and multiplayer (people will too much time spent cross-referencing and optimizing all the stuff)

Top Bottom