• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CIVILIZATION VI |OT| He's Got the Whole World in His Hands

grmlin

wow, loading times are even worse than the ones in 5? Didn't expect that.

Looks pretty good in person I have to say, I'll get used to the new look. The UI though...

Blizzard

Banned
wow, loading times are even worse than the ones in 5? Didn't expect that.

Looks pretty good in person I have to say, I'll get used to the new look. The UI though...
I've read people say it's better and people say it's worse. I have it on an SSD and the initial load when starting the game took a while (a minute or two?) but after that there hasn't been any loading.

I think the UI is pretty great in places, but I really wish I could scale the font since it's so tiny in parts.

fantomena

Not able to use Nvidia DSR to get 4K. 4K is only avaialble in windowed mode, not full screen, in full screen it always goes back to 1080p. :(

People weren't kidding about the ui. I wonder how it looks in 4k and if you can enable the upscaling at that resolution. In case anyones wondering the game works at 21:9 resolution.

I've read people say it's better and people say it's worse. I have it on an SSD and the initial load when starting the game took a while (a minute or two?) but after that there hasn't been any loading.

I think the UI is pretty great in places, but I really wish I could scale the font since it's so tiny in parts.

That's oddly opposite to my situation. I have a fairly low spec computer running this on minimum settings and the initial load is almost non-existent but to start or load a game can take a bit.

grmlin

Haha, playing on prince right now and I'm overrun by tons of barbarians. A constant flow of new units (about 7) moving towards my city.

Is it just me, or do barbarians start out strong really early on? My first barbarian encampment encounter had spearmen within the first ten turns or so, and suddenly I was being overwhelmed by barbarians on horseback within ten more.

Anno

Is it just me, or do barbarians start out strong really early on? My first barbarian encampment encounter had spearmen within the first ten turns or so, and suddenly I was being overwhelmed by barbarians on horseback within ten more.

Yeah if they spawn near a horse tile they can be a real bitch. And barbs are just stronger in general if you don't kill the scouts and let them prepare an invasion force.

Your warrior should be as strong or stronger than a spearman though, especially if you take the +5 against barbs civic and/or promote him once. Warrior class units get a combat bonus against anti-cav units like spearman.

Ahahaha Roosevelt just declared war on me, I'm America...
Warriors get a bonus against spearmen and they get Riders if they have their camp next to horses.

Shaldome

Sitting at home waiting for the mail man to deliver my Anniversary Edition from Amazon. I have today and the next two weeks off from work, so enough time to play.

Can't wait to play it myself after watching all the streams.

whyman

Loading takes a long time BUT it runs better than Civ 5 did on my weak laptop. I don't mind the long loading because of this. Great game overall.

Violet_0

Banned
it seems the AI players tend to build lots of military units very early in the game. Took me a moment before I realized that warriors and slingers have no upkeep cost
(actually, that might have been because I used the -1g upkeep policy, I need to check again)
Does anyone know what kind of penalties founding cities gives you?
I need to know this too, I don't know how the happiness system works in Civ 6 but I guess housing is part of it

Anno

Does anyone know what kind of penalties founding cities gives you?

Founding the actual city I don't think has penalties as all the happiness is local. It does become harder to have enough luxuries to go around and keep them happy though. It's really the production cost increase every time you build a new settler and every time you build a new district that adds up.

Fledz

I believe the new system is that it ramps up production if they spot you city so if you see a scout, make sure you kill it before it gets back to camp and "notifies" the others.

Sblargh

Banned
Founding the actual city I don't think has penalties as all the happiness is local. It does become harder to have enough luxuries to go around and keep them happy though. It's really the production cost increase every time you build a new settler and every time you build a new district that adds up.

Oh, setllers scale in cost? I did not noticed that.
--

Man, every time a new CIV comes out is the same ritual of re-doing my first 50 turns or so until I get comfortable. lol.

Right now, my opening is a scout -> builder -> Settler -> Slinger. Also, for staying alive purposes, a ranged unit on each city + 3 melee. Still have no idea of what is a good agressive force, but for purposes of keeping the AI from smelling blood in the water, this seems to work.

Ozium

playing as russia and met teddy and cleopatra, cleo hated me because of my weak army and teddy was all buddy buddy, but then he declared a surprise war on me for some reason so I fought back and took his city closest to me and then he begged me to stop but I was pissed it was a surprise war so I hunkered down and took washington...

what a jerk

ISee

Nearly missed an appointment at my car service station because of this. Game is as addictive as always.

Vex_

Banned
Game might as well be called Civilization VI: The Zerging of Barbarians.

I had to change some of my policies to beat dem barbarians damn. They were like a militarized army trying to swarm me FFS.

My scout was holding it down tho with his cute doggie and spear. :3

Fitz

Does anyone know where you can see the current xp for your units? I can't seem to find it anywhere, also I don't see any sort of military overview tab.

Vex_

Banned
Does anyone know where you can see the current xp for your units? I can't seem to find it anywhere, also I don't see any sort of military overview tab.

You have to click on them, and then instead of moving them, you can see the bar underneath their status.

munroe

Anyone had any issues with trying to play at a lower resolution? If I play at my native: 3840x2160, performance isn't great so i wanted to lower it down but when I do, even though fullscreen option is selected it only occupies a corner of the screen

Fitz

You have to click on them, and then instead of moving them, you can see the bar underneath their status.

Oh damn, was looking all over and I couldn't find it, that bar is tiny and really out of the way! Could really do with being larger or better placed.

artsi

I started the game, barbarians handed my ass to me and then my neighbour attacked when I had no army left.

Yeah, this is Civilization.

Vex_

Banned
"no suitable location to construct this."

Holy shit wait. You need actual space to construct wonders now?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Shitttt I was really hoping this came with better UI scaling at higher resolutions. Sitting on a couch with a 4K tv, probably boned.

Yeah even 1080p is unplayable on my 42".

I dropped it down to 720p and it's playable but looks like garbage.

Barbarians are annoying. Chasing around a scout, but I gave up because he just kept running away when you got near. Few turns later it kills my trader...

crazyprac

Finally about to win my first king game.

The loading is longer than civ 5.
I don't know when but after awhile barbarians become rare, not much change in civ land acquisition, they just became docile? I see alot of stolen builders but no camps or units lol....
I like how the AI will tell u that you are about to win so they have no choice but to attack you. How sweet of them.

Vex_

Banned
Barbarians are annoying. Chasing around a scout, but I gave up because he just kept running away when you got near. Few turns later it kills my trader...

Yea I hate that. I always keep guards next the perimeter of my cities now just in case.

EDIT: speak of the devil...

Im chasing a scout right now. He is hauling ass! He is running through forests and hills but im gonna chase him to the coast where I know he cant swim.

Im gonna light his ass up.

Top Bottom