• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CIVILIZATION VI |OT| He's Got the Whole World in His Hands

I was at +12 diplomacy with Victoria and she still declared suprise war on turn 26 :/.

This is just downright broken right now, there's no way it should be working like that.

This game has it's hooks in me good. They just need to patch it ASAP because having it hard crash on me eight times in one day is unacceptable. Especially for a game like this where I can lose a lot of progress.

Still trying to figure out the game though. Like, I have no idea how religion works. I'm endgame in my first run and I've never created my own religion. Russia converted everyone to Orthodox or something, so when I'm spreading religion, am I helping them win since we have the same religion now? I'm seeing my faith points getting high and have no idea what to use it on.

If you don't have your own religion, then you should avoid spreading whatever religion you've been given, yes. More to the point, you should look at your cities and see if (by sheer number) a majority of them are already following that religion. If so, you need to go to war with Russia and completely eliminate them ASAP, because you've effectively put yourself in a position where you otherwise have no control over when/if they win.

If they don't have a majority of cities following their religion yet, just declare war on them and murder any holy men you see coming your way with real man units.

(This is why Religious Victory is hilariously bad, by the way. Against any opponent more aware than the AI, you can't actually win one unless you could have trivially beaten your opponent with your army, anyway. It's just Domination Victory for people who like to pretend they aren't Genghis Khan.)

I was at +12 diplomacy with Victoria and she still declared suprise war on turn 26 :/.

This is just downright broken right now, there's no way it should be working like that.

Yeah, if I do that to the AI I permanently have Warmonger Aggro for the entire game, even if I liberate the three city-states that Catherine took on my border to bait the war.

But if it's the AI, it seems like even Scythia doesn't care that much if they declare ambush war. They're right back to trading courtesies in five turns.

So Immortal really is easily broken. Started another game as russia. Stole a settler from Greece, used my rushed archers to force him into a favourable peace built more archers and conquered washington while they were busy with 2 barb camps easily, instead of settling a new city they even moved a settler into the first city I conquered.

I'm attempting a religious victory as Spain and I'm probably going to save and not come back for awhile. Could be that I'm playing on huge with 12 civs making it harder than it needs to be, but I'm not liking it very much.

Science and Culture fortuitous victories I'd all about efficient city building while protecting your borders. Domination is more or less about bringing superior military units to the fight.

But religion? There's really not much there. Part of it is rushing for the best bonuses, but after that there's not much in the way of creating high faith per turn cities as its just the holy site and no additional great people to compete for after the ancient era. No outpacing others. Maybe racing to Theocracy, but there's no real progression and it's the same three units the whole time.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
It is funny, but it's been frustrating as well. There is a fantastic Civ game here under the wait of a good patch, or the upcoming expansion.

To be fair, the civs in Civ 5 pulled the same shit too, but they would telegraph it pretty easily. Hello there Alexander, you were pissed off at me not 5 turns ago, and now I see your disposition to me is "Friendly", while several of your troops are making their way to my border.....*chinscratch.gif*

To be fair, the civs in Civ 5 pulled the same shit too, but they would telegraph it pretty easily. Hello there Alexander, you were pissed off at me not 5 turns ago, and now I see your disposition to me is "Friendly", while several of your troops are making their way to my border.....*chinscratch.gif*

Open borders, not even once.

Danj

Is it just me or can you not save during the tutorial? I'd gotten past the guided section and wanted to quit out to do something else for a bit, couldn't see a save button so thought maybe it autosaved, but when I quit to the menu there are no saves to load :(

Also, while I'm not new to Civilization games, I've never really been much good at them, even on the easiest difficulty level, are there any guides or videos I should look at?

It is funny, but it's been frustrating as well. There is a fantastic Civ game here under the wait of a good patch, or the upcoming expansion.

If the diplomacy stays this fucked till the expansion I'm not even going to buy it till it's on sale out of principle. That's some shady ass shit.

This game is better than Civ V at launch but it's not better than Civ V in its current form. Civ VI needs a lot of work: Clunky and things not explained all too well. Religion is not up to par. Unless you're at war the game is pretty boring.

This game is better than Civ V at launch but it's not better than Civ V in its current form. Civ VI needs a lot of work: Clunky and things not explained all too well. Religion is not up to par. Unless you're at war the game is pretty boring.

That's weird, I'm having the complete opposite experience.

My first Civ V experience was with Brave New World and I barely got through half of the turn limit. The game was super tedious and I much preferred Civ Rev.

I'm way more captivated by Civ VI. They streamlined the right things, enhanced other aspects of the game that make a ton of sense and it just looks so much better.

deoee

If you mouse over it will tell you. For museums its 3 artifacts of the same era but from different sources. For art galleries its 3 pieces of art of the same type.

Can you elaborate further?

I just put every piece of let's say Goehte into one Museum - was I doing this wrong?

Maledict

Can you elaborate further?

I just put every piece of let's say Goehte into one Museum - was I doing this wrong?

All that matters is the type of art - Portrait, Landscape, Sculpture or Religious; and the artist being different. You need to put three pieces of the same type together from different artists to get the theme bonus - doesn't matter which era.

deoee

This game is seriously very well done.

There's some problems with AI and I still do not understand every aspect of some stuff but man - it's fun.
Especially in MP :D

Edit:

Thank you above me.
I was wondering what that bonus is for and how to get it. Now I know!

Can't seem to get very far on King difficulty. Maybe because I'm trying to do a religion victory? AI's always declare war or surprise war me and swarm me with units...

Can't seem to get very far on King difficulty. Maybe because I'm trying to do a religion victory? AI's always declare war or surprise war me and swarm me with units...

Having this issue on emperor. King is no problem for me but emperor just seems impossible with how much of an advantage the AI (especially barbs) get. Seems everyone just rushes horsemen and even with spearman and archers all my units end up getting 1-2 shotted and I just end up in a loop of making units to try and kill barbs, fucking up everything else in my production.

deoee

Yeah, even on Prince I find the Barbs really annoying early on.
You have to spend sooo much ressources on fighting and finding them, it's really really grinding my gears
LLShC.gif

All that matters is the type of art - Portrait, Landscape, Sculpture or Religious; and the artist being different. You need to put three pieces of the same type together from different artists to get the theme bonus - doesn't matter which era.

WAT

That's amazing to know.

Sibylus

Banned
TBH, after playing Civ V community mods for the past 6 months or so before VI's release, I haven't had significant barb issues. That's especially true of the basic units not costing any gold upkeep, you can have a swarm np.

Having this issue on emperor. King is no problem for me but emperor just seems impossible with how much of an advantage the AI (especially barbs) get. Seems everyone just rushes horsemen and even with spearman and archers all my units end up getting 1-2 shotted and I just end up in a loop of making units to try and kill barbs, fucking up everything else in my production.
You want to build a ton of slingers early then get the archery boost and rush the tech. This allows you to get aggressive with your neighbours and should be enough for you to knock one of them out negating any starting boost they got.
Spot barb camps early and just get rid of them asap.

MoonFrog

I never try to play Civ optimally or at difficulty much past the middle. I like to play it as a sim/role playing game really, rather than a strategy game, and I like to cultivate culture, science, infrastructure, etc., building a civilization that seems cool to me, has cool cities, borders, geography, history, etc. I mostly don't like war in Civilization since Civ IV, where I found it enjoyable early to mid game if at times terrifying; fairly boring and bloated late game.

deoee

TBH, after playing Civ V community mods for the past 6 months or so before VI's release, I haven't had significant barb issues. That's especially true of the basic units not costing any gold upkeep, you can have a swarm np.

The problem I have, if you "siege" the camps, they can spawn a warrior unit every turn.
I basically have to fight for insane amounts of rounds cause I need let's say 2 units attacks to kill 1 warrior. but the next turn, there is a new one and so on.

It's like WW1

Sibylus

Banned
The problem I have, if you "siege" the camps, they can spawn a warrior unit every turn.
I basically have to fight for insane amounts of rounds cause I need let's say 2 units attacks to kill 1 warrior. but the next turn, there is a new one and so on.

It's like WW1

I don't beeline the camp for this reason. Swarm and surround defenders and take it when it's naked or defended by 1 barb. Destroy in detail!

Grug

Is there some sort of value hierarchy on luxury resources?

Opposition leaders always seem to think one of theirs is equal to two of mine.

You'd swear Citrus fruit is the most valuable resource in the world the way the Scythians are trying to do deals.

Volodja

Is there some sort of value hierarchy on luxury resources?

Opposition leaders always seem to think one of theirs is equal to two of mine.

You'd swear Citrus fruit is the most valuable resource in the world the way the Scythians are trying to do deals.
They probably don't particularly need the Amenities and/or don't like you that much.

Totakeke

Three allies, that's a first.

HCne4le.png

Can't wait for the world war.

Embarrassing question but how do I see what technology era a civ is in?

yXni2Lw.png

See the vertical words "Modern Era"? You can also mouse over the icons on the scroll bar to check progress of other civs.

Yep, same as Civ V. Once you know what right decisions to make, the game becomes impossibly easy.

Time for you to move on to Paradox grand strategy.

Are paradox games like stellaris really that much more complex/different? I feel like it's probably just super difficult to make AI difficulties that aren't inherently based on 'cheating advantages'. And that just lends itself to figuring out the optimal choice to counter those advantages or some other exploitation of AI patterns.

Like there was one ship in stellaris that you would mass produce because it was so much more cost-effective than anything else; slavery was so economically beneficial that you were handicapping yourself by not doing it. Gamers min/max things so fast and so effectively it can kill the fun of choice and failure.

I feel like in this genre in particular there's always going to be a tipping point in the game where your victory becomes assured and you're left with just having to go through the rest of the boring motions (gaining way more science than everyone else but only halfway to tech victory, earning way more culture but tourism just started, have the most faith per turn and just have to send missionaries to cities, etc , etc).

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Been thinking about picking this up after playing Civ V and having a blast with it, but judging from some impressions both here and on Steam maybe I should hold off a bit until the patches arrive? XD

That's why the early phases of a 4x game are the most enjoyable you don't know the layout of the map you don't know who you're up against and you don't know the optimal placement of your cities yet. Once you know your wincon and see no one can really oppose you it usually ends up being mostly annoying.

That's why the early phases of a 4x game are the most enjoyable you don't know the layout of the map you don't know who you're up against and you don't know the optimal placement of your cities yet. Once you know your wincon and see no one can really oppose you it usually ends up being mostly annoying.

I haven't actually finished a game yet for that reason. Don't feel like hitting end turn until I win once victory is assured. It's the first 50 turns or so that are really interesting.

Totakeke

Island plates island start on immortal. Never went into a single war, so never conquered any cities nor stole any settlers. After 200 turns or so I'm ahead in score, science, culture (not tourism), military, and earning 700 gold per turn. So yeah, the AI also sucks at empire building even left alone. Well, the AI did fight among themselves for the whole game so maybe that's that. It would also have been more difficult if they attacked me around turns 50-100 when I'm still catching up. Maybe I should start playing random civs.

Could do with some tips, I seem to end up getting bogged down by cities that don't have enough housing or amenities. The district placement and bonuses are SO poorly explained, I don't really know what I'm doing and at least 2-3 AI always seem to end up way ahead of me in terms of culture and science.

stoff

What is the actual tile distance allowed in between an Industrial district with a factory and another city centre in order to get the production increase shared? Are both the city and district tiles included within the "six tiles", therefore resulting in a maximum distance of four tiles in between?

The wording of the Tooltip is so ambiguous.

spiritfox

What is the actual tile distance allowed in between an Industrial district with a factory and another city centre in order to get the production increase shared? Are both the city and district tiles included within the "six tiles", therefore resulting in a maximum distance of four tiles in between?

The wording of the Tooltip is so ambiguous.

The district is tile 0, and the city center has to be within a 6 tile radius of it.

Top Bottom