• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CIVILIZATION VI |OT| He's Got the Whole World in His Hands

Totakeke

Meh, I'm getting a bit bummed out by some of the imbalance in the game that it's hard to keep playing the game knowing that I can either win too easily or have to force myself to play an uphill game that will only last till I conquer another civ. I played a ton of starts as Victoria on island plates, realizing that some civs will start on islands and some civs will start on the continents. Whoever that starts on islands will be severely gimped and so I make myself restart until I get island starts, then not feel like playing when I discover there is a continent that's as big as half of the map making it silly playing a naval game. I then tried Brazil, and then found the map generated for me has very little jungle and also that getting a religion on deity is super difficult. Rerolling until I get a jungle map also felt like cheating. I then tried Gandhi wanting to play tall, but then I got a start with two horses in my capital and a very close Russian neighbor. I beeline to horseback riding and start conquering his cities all too easily because the AI sucks at combat and then felt I might as well go for a wide empire again and winning the rest of the game is just too predictable. Even if I didn't conquer Russia there's no doubt he'll soon declare war back on me anyway and then I would have to force myself to not fight back.

So there's almost no reason to not play on either continents or pangaea, and get a really good lead by conquering a neighboring civ. I think I'll just to force myself to play the Victoria game or try multiplayer for a bit.

Fuzzery

New to the series, played two game and won on king and prince

No idea how culture victory even worked

In the second game I used a knight and bombardier from a great person to 2 man the entire German empire, who was #1 on strength because they had a million heavy chariot

Trading is so fucking wack. They want an outrageous amount of gold for one luxury resource but will give me nothing in return for mine. They value gold up front much more than gpt. I needed open borders with someone and they wanted 40 gpt for it, I cancelled that out and just offered them 100 gold up front and they happily accepted. And the gifts they want, jesus. I'm used to civs occasionally asking for gold in Civ V but I'll get hit up by every civ for a copy of every spare luxury and all my gold in one turn in Civ VI. The most insane part is I'll take out the gold they requested and offer them all the luxuries and they'll reject it.

Weebos

Banned
Picked this game up today. I've never been great at Civ, but I'm getting rolled in my first game already (Prince). Greece and Japan decided to tag-team me. I scared off Greece and have reclaimed one of my cities and another one from Japan, but yikes, I didn't expect full blown war so early.

I'm trying for a Religion victory with Saladin, since I didn't mess with it much in Civ V.

Do I need to worry about my world standing that much in the early game?

Palmer_v1

Why can't I build a National Park here?

O4Aeho7.png

It's a diamond.
It's all Charming or better.
All tiles are controlled by one city.
I cleared all improvements.

mkenyon

Banned
Meh, I'm getting a bit bummed out by some of the imbalance in the game that it's hard to keep playing the game knowing that I can either win too easily or have to force myself to play an uphill game that will only last till I conquer another civ. I played a ton of starts as Victoria on island plates, realizing that some civs will start on islands and some civs will start on the continents. Whoever that starts on islands will be severely gimped and so I make myself restart until I get island starts, then not feel like playing when I discover there is a continent that's as big as half of the map making it silly playing a naval game. I then tried Brazil, and then found the map generated for me has very little jungle and also that getting a religion on deity is super difficult. Rerolling until I get a jungle map also felt like cheating. I then tried Gandhi wanting to play tall, but then I got a start with two horses in my capital and a very close Russian neighbor. I beeline to horseback riding and start conquering his cities all too easily because the AI sucks at combat and then felt I might as well go for a wide empire again and winning the rest of the game is just too predictable. Even if I didn't conquer Russia there's no doubt he'll soon declare war back on me anyway and then I would have to force myself to not fight back.

So there's almost no reason to not play on either continents or pangaea, and get a really good lead by conquering a neighboring civ. I think I'll just to force myself to play the Victoria game or try multiplayer for a bit.
Yep, same as Civ V. Once you know what right decisions to make, the game becomes impossibly easy.

Time for you to move on to Paradox grand strategy.

Totakeke

Yeah, it's arbitrary, but a horizontal 4 tile doesn't even look like a diamond.

Edit: I take that back, if you rotate it then it looks the same.

emag

What are reasonable house-rules for a friendly multiplayer (email/hotseat) game?

I'm considering these three:
1. No haggling or initiating trades with the AI (due to diplomacy glitch where you can get anything for 1G/1GPT)
2. No deleting units* (due to bug where you can make a profit buying and immediately selling units; also avoiding selling builder after two builds, units near-death after attacking, etc.)
3. No clearing land outside of your nation's borders (chopping down all the forests in the world with a builder swarm is a dominant strategy)

(*Maybe with an exception for deleting obsolete units?)

What are reasonable house-rules for a friendly multiplayer (email/hotseat) game?

I'm considering these three:
1. No haggling or initiating trades with the AI (due to diplomacy glitch where you can get anything for 1G/1GPT)
2. No deleting units* (due to bug where you can make a profit buying and immediately selling units; also avoiding selling builder after two builds, units near-death after attacking, etc.)
3. No clearing land outside of your nation's borders (chopping down all the forests in the world with a builder swarm is a dominant strategy)

(*Maybe with an exception for deleting obsolete units?)

There's a mod that fixes point 3 Fruitbasket or NQ something and the 100% to Horseman is generally banned.

Anteo

Sometimes it feels like a waste of time to try to conquer the whole map. Early game defense is fun but by mid/late its just too easy.

I rather manage my cities and pass the turn

Edit: oh so thats what a national park is

Create the Eiffel Tower and create a national park pretty much wherever you want. When I built the Eiffel Tower I was placing national parks all over the desert tiles.

Trading is so fucking wack. They want an outrageous amount of gold for one luxury resource but will give me nothing in return for mine. They value gold up front much more than gpt. I needed open borders with someone and they wanted 40 gpt for it, I cancelled that out and just offered them 100 gold up front and they happily accepted. And the gifts they want, jesus. I'm used to civs occasionally asking for gold in Civ V but I'll get hit up by every civ for a copy of every spare luxury and all my gold in one turn in Civ VI. The most insane part is I'll take out the gold they requested and offer them all the luxuries and they'll reject it.

My workaround for this is making sure the AI all hate me so much that the only time they even think about communicating is to renew their denouncements.

Yeah, yeah, I heard you Pedro, you're mad I have Great People. Maybe if you weren't sitting on 0 GPP for the Engineer I just got I'd take your complaint a little more seriously.

emag

Speaking of denouncements, is there a setting to turn off the animated diplomacy cinematics? The text is repeated on the interactive screen thereafter, so they just waste time.

Gotchaye

Speaking of denouncements, is there a setting to turn off the animated diplomacy cinematics? The text is repeated on the interactive screen thereafter, so they just waste time.

Yeah, you can turn off animated leaders in the graphics settings.

How often are you all switching up your governments? And what do you generally think about the trade-off between optimizing slots in the short-term versus banking legacy bonuses for the long-term?

RedFyn

Meh, I'm getting a bit bummed out by some of the imbalance in the game that it's hard to keep playing the game knowing that I can either win too easily or have to force myself to play an uphill game that will only last till I conquer another civ.
Have you tried limiting your science gain?

Also, I'm not the best player but I'd be up for a GAF MP game if you'd like to try and get one going.

How often are you all switching up your governments? And what do you generally think about the trade-off between optimizing slots in the short-term versus banking legacy bonuses for the long-term?
I switch to a new gov't as soon as I unlock it, as long as it provides me the slots that I want. Specifically, I rush Political Philosophy asap, and my usual gov't choices are Chiefdom -> Oligarchy -> Monarchy -> Fascism.

Given the way I play, it takes too long for legacy bonuses to build up, even if I care about them. I like bonus unit experience. I like bonus unit production. I like bonus great person points. I like bonus discounts on gold purchases. But I feel the extra policy slots are more important for keeping my civ relevant.

A more curious question I have, is how often do you swap gov'ts laterally? Similar to swapping policies as needed for context or circumstances, I'm wondering how often players swap gov't for the necessary slots. An example is running Communism for peace time and production, then switching to Facism while waging war, then switching back to Communism once the wars are over (and maybe swapping to Democracy permanently when one doesn't really need military slots).

I think swapping to an earlier gov't with fewer slots is probably unthinkable though. Swapping from Communism to Autocracy or Classical Republic would be... very curious. I imagine all the withdrawal your people are going through from lack of policies would be mortifying.

Gotchaye

I haven't found myself worrying about legacy bonuses - new governments give legacy bonuses too, after all. I do think it makes sense to switch governments laterally quite frequently, depending on what policies you want. I'm pretty sure it makes sense to switch to Theocracy for a turn or two even in the late-game in order to buy units with faith.

I switch to a new gov't as soon as I unlock it, as long as it provides me the slots that I want. Specifically, I rush Political Philosophy asap, and my usual gov't choices are Chiefdom -> Oligarchy -> Monarchy -> Fascism.

Given the way I play, it takes too long for legacy bonuses to build up, even if I care about them. I like bonus unit experience. I like bonus unit production. I like bonus great person points. I like bonus discounts on gold purchases. But I feel the extra policy slots are more important for keeping my civ relevant.

A more curious question I have, is how often do you swap gov'ts laterally? Similar to swapping policies as needed for context or circumstances, I'm wondering how often players swap gov't for the necessary slots. An example is running Communism for peace time and production, then switching to Facism while waging war, then switching back to Communism once the wars are over (and maybe swapping to Democracy permanently when one doesn't really need military slots).

I think swapping to an earlier gov't with fewer slots is probably unthinkable though. Swapping from Communism to Autocracy or Classical Republic would be... very curious. I imagine all the withdrawal your people are going through from lack of policies would be mortifying.

Right. This is what I was getting at. Switching to a higher-tier government ASAP is obviously the right thing to do, but are people just picking one government per tier (e.g. Classical Republic --> Theocracy --> Communism) or are they bouncing around within tiers, as you describe? The latter seems like the better play, but I haven't really messed with it yet because in early games I was focused on the legacy bonuses, and I forgot for a while that I could switch from Monarchy to Merchant Republic.

Totakeke

Have you tried limiting your science gain?

Also, I'm not the best player but I'd be up for a GAF MP game if you'd like to try and get one going.

I haven't actually spammed campus districts in any of the games I won. Maybe it would matter in late game wars if I played for domination. I'd be up for trying MP but no idea how to set up one. :p

The three turn anarchy penalty for switching into governments you already used heavily penalizes switching around. I only switch laterally when I'm going in/out of war so far.

Finished my game with Norway. How sad the Vikings are once again so bad. I'd like to see them get bigger yields from pillaging and have the AI actually repair their improvements. A lot of talk about how putting a city in the coast is a terrible idea, which is true, but that's fine with Norway because the way I see it they aren't meant to capture many cities across the sea anyway.

How I envisioned it when picking them was I'd set up my homeland of 4 or so cities, then build a raiding fleet of longships and berserkers to raid enemy land for a spike in gold, culture, science, and faith then leave them be to repair then raid again. But the spikes were small and the repairs never happened.

Fruity Mod V1

GAMEPLAY
  • Chopping: Woods, Jungles, and Marshes now provide only half their usual yields when chopped.
  • Deleting Units: This has been completely disabled. You can no longer delete units.
UI
  • Plot Tooltip: When mousing over terrain, the tooltip will appear much faster.
  • Pop Ups: Disabled all pop ups for Techs, Eurekas, Civics, Inspirations, and Natural Wonders.
  • Status Messages: No longer has a black box around it and is much smaller and compact, preventing message spam from blocking your view (especially during war).

Did we get any info AT ALL on the dreaded CTD?

I have a marathon 20 player game I made to turn 1100+, and the game crashes 100% of the time during the AI's turn, it's now been more than a week since I reported the bug to 2K and their tech support is beyond hopeless at this point.

I want to be able to delete units though, not necessarily for the gold, but just so I don't have the attention overhead of having to micro that unit anymore :( I like having the popups so dunno what's up with that.

Looking at the change list of the mod, I only like the change to chopping and faster plot tooltip.

I just finished another game and i had loads of great people - i think the final tally was 49. At one point i had great writers and artists just sitting around waiting for somewhere to display their works. I couldnt build places for them to display quick enough and at the end was passing on recruiting them. I have no idea why i was able to get so many and it seemed like it was every other turn i was getting one.

Weird.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I just finished another game and i had loads of great people - i think the final tally was 49. At one point i had great writers and artists just sitting around waiting for somewhere to display their works. I couldnt build places for them to display quick enough and at the end was passing on recruiting them. I have no idea why i was able to get so many and it seemed like it was every other turn i was getting one.

Weird.

Were you Russia?

Maledict

Kongo generates *ridiculous* numbers of great people. I ended my game with a culture win and had 12 writers just sitting around doing nothing.

Just a heads up, if for whatever reason you end up with great people and don't care much for their abilities, deleting them gives you a ton gold back. Usually if I end up generating enough points for a Great W/A/M, and if I don't care for Culture Victory, I pick one up just so I can delete it for gold. Not as great as expending a Great W/A for a culture boost or golden age a la Civ5, but it'll do.

This game has it's hooks in me good. They just need to patch it ASAP because having it hard crash on me eight times in one day is unacceptable. Especially for a game like this where I can lose a lot of progress.

Still trying to figure out the game though. Like, I have no idea how religion works. I'm endgame in my first run and I've never created my own religion. Russia converted everyone to Orthodox or something, so when I'm spreading religion, am I helping them win since we have the same religion now? I'm seeing my faith points getting high and have no idea what to use it on.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
This game has it's hooks in me good. They just need to patch it ASAP because having it hard crash on me eight times in one day is unacceptable. Especially for a game like this where I can lose a lot of progress.

Still trying to figure out the game though. Like, I have no idea how religion works. I'm endgame in my first run and I've never created my own religion. Russia converted everyone to Orthodox or something, so when I'm spreading religion, am I helping them win since we have the same religion now? I'm seeing my faith points getting high and have no idea what to use it on.

If you don't have a religion, spend your faith on great people, or naturalists.

Top Bottom