• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cloverfield Hype & Movie Thread *Spoilers Ahoy!*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blablurn

in about an hour i'm going to see the movie a second time :)

I'm looking forward to it. i'm curious what'my friend is going to say about the movie. when i watched silent hill the last time with her she almost got panic attacks xD

Blablurn said:
in about an hour i'm going to see the movie a second time :)

I'm looking forward to it. i'm curious what'my friend is going to say about the movie. when i watched silent hill the last time with her she almost got panic attacks xD
The falling thing is to the left of the boat. DON'T MISS IT.

I'm seeing it too today. Number 3 for me. Just showing it to different people...

Blablurn

I wonder what's the origin of the big explosion in the beginning of the movie. You know, the scene where they all stand on the roof and something in the middle of the city blows up.

i dont know how the monster can do something like that

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Probably the initial strike against it from the military. I mean, it takes just a few minutes before they show up in the city so they must have been aware and all.

Anyway I liked the movie, but it felt sort of like a tease. They better not fuck up the sequel.

Blablurn

Ether_Snake said:
Probably the initial strike against it from the military. I mean, it takes just a few minutes before they show up in the city so they must have been aware and all.

good anwser =)

I just watched the movie for a second time and it was still a nice experience. i want a HD version. now :<

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
Blablurn said:
I wonder what's the origin of the big explosion in the beginning of the movie. You know, the scene where they all stand on the roof and something in the middle of the city blows up.

I think that's the freighter we see briefly during the bridge scene exploding?

Blablurn said:

It's the tanker right? They go in that direction and end up on the bridge where they see the remains of the tanker.

EDIT: Curses!

Blablurn

but didn't the tanker explode just before they arrived at the roof? i mean, they saw a news report on the television before they started to ran up the steps.

Blablurn said:
but didn't the tanker explode just before they arrived at the roof? i mean, they saw a news report on the television before they started to ran up the steps.
Earthquake, News reports oil tanker has shown up in NY harbor, Roof, Tanker Boom, Liberty.

In that order.

Mdk7

I eventually watched it, simply amazing.
Even though it's far from perfect (mainly due to some silly stuff about the whole love affair, but i guess that's pretty inevitable these days...) i enjoyed so much every fucking minute of it, its intensity, its tension and the amazing way it puts you right there in the middle of the action.
I had followed all the ARG thing and i was afraid it could eventually came out as shit, but man i was wrong!!

The monster looks still does not convince me that much (though it moves in a terrific way!!), but the overall result is simply top notch: i left the theater REALLY impressed -even if like 95% of the audience here in Italy is trashing it mainly because of its ignorance (a large number of people were expecting the typical Michael Bay thing! :lol )- since the movie echoed 9/11 in such and eerie and breathtaking way.

Abrams fucking rocks.

TiVo

Saw the movie.
Liked not loved it.

At least show the dude put some batteries in his pocket like the other dude did his cell phone to explain why a camera was running using night vision and the lamp and kept running off the same battery.

Also don't most cameras these days have the "steady-cam' feature? No need for the herky-jerky movement.

Also the size of the creature compared to the buildings then seeing it[/spoiler] look down and eat the guy[/spoiler] is not believable.

Blablurn

i wonder what's dropping from the sky at the end of the movie. many people on the internet say it's that satellite which was mentioned in the viral marketing before. Others say this satellite is the reason why the monster becoms awake. but it can't be. it drops in the near of coney island. but we also know that the monster attacked this drilling platform in the middle of the atlantic ocean. and i don't think that the creature swam from new york to the drilling platform and back.

YYZ

I watched this recently and it was enjoyable, but I'm not sure if I want to see it again since so much of it was a mess to watch (visually I mean).

Blablurn said:
i wonder what's dropping from the sky at the end of the movie. many people on the internet say it's that satellite which was mentioned in the viral marketing before. Others say this satellite is the reason why the monster becoms awake. but it can't be. it drops in the near of coney island. but we also know that the monster attacked this drilling platform in the middle of the atlantic ocean. and i don't think that the creature swam from new york to the drilling platform and back.
I really don't think its the Tagruato satellite, but maybe its the first spot of deep sea nectar. Maybe it washes out to sea?

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I really liked it, not as a monster flick or as a thriller but just as an experience it was fantastic, feels really authentic and almost tricks you into thinking you're a part of this earth shattering event.

It was disapointing to not be able to understand more about what was going on simply by watching the film, but I do see how forcing that much information into the film would have probably weakened the experience overall.

Hopefully the sequel serves to reveal what actually happened (either through taking a more traditional narrative route or something else new).

Dabanton

Am so glad some of you guys will never have anything to do with a big budget Hollywood picture.

Saw the film yesterday and thought it was superb. I don't know what some of you guys were expecting when you went to the cinema.

As for the complaints about the main characters we needed to have the grounding of a storyline if the film was as one gaffer suggested news footage,and security cameras we the audience would have no emotional attachment to anyone who would be our main characters?

What would drive the film on?

Ciel

The Wispy Scoundrel said:
Why does the 'thing' falling from space have to have anything to do with the monster actually awakening? For all we know it could just be a nod to all the people who followed the events online, and it is in actuality just the malfunctioning Tagruato satellite- the only reason for its presense in the film is to tie the movie with the ARG. For all we know it could have no more significance than that.

Maybe that thing falling into the ocean is what disturbed the beast from it's slumber?

Dabanton said:
What would drive the film on?

I for one wasn't attached to any people in the film (except Marlena), but find myself intrigued by the beast and its backstory. There's a lot of places they could go with this.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
TiVo said:
Saw the movie.
Liked not loved it.

Also the size of the creature compared to the buildings then seeing it
look down and eat the guy
is not believable.

They should've never included that scene IMO.

It's kind of obvious how the sequel(s) will work. Same event, different perspective (i.e. Military etc.).

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
DaCocoBrova said:

It's kind of obvious how the sequel(s) will work. Same event, different perspective (i.e. Military etc.).
It should be from someone in the military so we can see Marlena pop from inside the tent this time.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
DaCocoBrova said:

Yeah i agree, I suppose they just needed a way to A. Get rid of the guy so you're just left with the love interests, and B. Actually give you a clear shot of the monster

I have question actually, did Lilly escape? She got on the chopper before the others...is that a possible sequel tie-in?

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
The scene where the guy gets eaten is totally fan service. JJ or someone in production said that the idea of being inside the monsters mouth was just too cool of a concept to pass up. This is a movie afterall. I don't see the need to pick apart it's realism when a gigantic sea creature with stomach bursting parasites are infesting a town.

To me it's like saying "WTF! THAT PHAZER WAS SET TO KILL! EVERYONE KNOWS PHAZERS IN KILL MODE... KILL! THAT GUY SHOULD BE DEAD AND MADE THE SCENE COMPLETELY UNBELIEVABLE. FUCK THIS STAR TREK MOVIE BULLLLLLLLLLLSHIT!"

Believability makes sense in realistic movies...not horror/action/thriller flicks.

Also, it should probably be assumed that Lily did get out. Not sure how that could play in with the sequel or not.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
RubxQub said:
It should be from someone in the military so we can see Marlena pop from inside the tent this time.

Something about Marlena rubbed me the wrong way. I'm glad she blowed up real good! I wish we would have seen it. Lily was hot I hope she made it out and she's in the sequel

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Ghost said:
Yeah i agree, I suppose they just needed a way to A. Get rid of the guy so you're just left with the love interests, and B. Actually give you a clear shot of the monster

I have question actually, did Lilly escape? She got on the chopper before the others...is that a possible sequel tie-in?

I don't think so. Right before the others take off, you see a shot of a helicopter crashing back down, and into the building across the street from where they took off. That was the only transport helicopter shown, right before Rob and co took off. The helicopter was also flying low enough to smash right into the door of the building.

batbeg

Why are so many people complaining about the monster
eating Hud? Marlena said near the beginning of the film that it was eating people, and besides that, I hardly see the scale as unreasonable - I would imagine it's like a mouse to us, clearly visible and very easy to eat if you want. Though I never could figure out the scale of the monster as we only saw it a few times, so maybe I'm wrong and it's bigger than that.

batbeg

Teh Hamburglar said:
Did it eat anyone though? It tried to eat Hud but it seemed it dropped him.

Like I said, Marlena said it did near the beginning (at least that's what it sounded like what she said), so even if we didn't see it, yes, yes it did. And I would totally count Hud as being eaten.

TiVo

batbeg said:
Why are so many people complaining about the monster
eating Hud? Marlena said near the beginning of the film that it was eating people, and besides that, I hardly see the scale as unreasonable - I would imagine it's like a mouse to us, clearly visible and very easy to eat if you want. Though I never could figure out the scale of the monster as we only saw it a few times, so maybe I'm wrong and it's bigger than that.

So the monster knocks the helicopter out of the sky at night.

What transpired between then and them waking up the next day? What was the military doing in the meantime?

Did the monster not travel uptown, downtown or to other buroughs of NYC or other states?

It just happened to reappear in the same area the chopper went down hours earlier to look down and only eat 1 of 3 people yelling and screaming?

This monster was knocking down buildings. Imagine the scale of the World Trade center and one of the office doors. Now imagine a person standing in that door. Now imagine the WTC bending down and seeing then eating something the size smaller than a door.

I am not taking this movie seriously as some people but come on.

batbeg

I didn't think about the timeshift, was it really at night? Because they said the last helicopter left at 6:00am so I was assuming it was around then. If that's the case then it doesn't make sense, no.

But I just don't see what is so illogical about the monster eating the person. You have three people, two running away, and one staying still staring up at you. Imagine you hate spiders, there's two running away, one standing right in front of you. Which are you more likely to kill?

I don't really understand why people think we should be able to understand the workings of the monsters mind, either. It's a freakin' monster, who we know eats people, why should we assume it has to eat all people in it's immediate vicinity if it wants one?

TiVo

Still doesn't explain the monster being in the same vicinity to eat the same guy it happened to take down the chopper he was in.

It is not gonna chase after or run from the guys with the guns shooting it or go sight-seeing to the 5 other boroughs or the rest of the US and world but it is gonna hang around long enough to munch on one out of 3 people.

Two people running away? How do you run from something that can knock the head off the statue of liberty. And how far did they run? They came back to the guy and got the camera/

TiVo said:
At least show the dude put some batteries in his pocket like the other dude did his cell phone to explain why a camera was running using night vision and the lamp and kept running off the same battery.
Jesus Christ, why is this such a hard concept to grasp for some people? The camera was ONLY running for the times it was recording. If your camera can't record 80 minutes worth of footage on a single battery then you have a really shitty camera.

Also TiVo, where do you live that you need a time lapse for the sun to rise at 6AM? The choppers left at 0600 hours, one crashed, and oh my gosh, the sun was up when everyone came to? CRAZY! :lol

TiVo

WordAssassin said:
Jesus Christ, why is this such a hard concept to grasp for some people? The camera was ONLY running for the times it was recording. If your camera can't record 80 minutes worth of footage on a single battery then you have a really shitty camera.

Also TiVo, where do you live that you need a time lapse for the sun to rise at 6AM? The choppers left at 0600 hours, one crashed, and oh my gosh, the sun was up when everyone came to? CRAZY! :lol

Yeah, shitty camera that didn't have a steady-cam feature.

And you really think in the midst of an attack in a world that experiences a real life monster actually took the time to power off the camera everytime we saw a break in sequence. At Coney Island YES, At the party YES. But running from a monster in the streets, subway, across a bridge, in a mall, in a chopper? Yeah, lemme power down after the Statue of Liberty's head just crashed a few feet from me and power up later in time to catch a glimpse of a monster between some buildings. Yeah lemme power down after seeing this monster is being attacked by the military and power back up minutes later. Yeah lemme power down after my crush explodes and power up later.

And even though the military is bombarding and shooting this creature it hangs around long enough to eat the guy filming it which happened to be in the chopper it knocked down.

YEAH

TiVo said:

And you really think in the midst of an attack in a world that experiences a real life monster actually took the time to power off the camera everytime we saw a break in sequence. At Coney Island YES, At the party YES. But running from a monster in the streets, subway, across a bridge, in a mall, in a chopper? Yeah, lemme power down after the Statue of Liberty's head just crashed a few feet from me and power up later in time to catch a glimpse of a monster between some buildings. Yeah lemme power down after seeing this monster is being attacked by the military and power back up minutes later. Yeah lemme power down after my crush explodes and power up later.

And even though the military is bombarding and shooting this creature it hangs around long enough to eat the guy filming it which happened to be in the chopper it knocked down.

YEAH

A) Hud has no idea how to use the camera or any of its features

B) Educate yourself on the camera he's using. I don't see "steadycam" listed there but maybe they call it something else now. Even if it is there point A nullifies it.

C) I know he didn't power down every single time he stopped recording, but he obviously shut the camera off several times over the 7 hours the event lasted. It'd take an hour to walk the length of subway track they did, (This has been "proven" and there are sites that detail how surprisingly accurate the time-frame of the movie is) yet we only see about 5-10 minutes of them walking an being attacked. It's not THAT big of a stretch to assume that during times like those he shut the camera all the way off. YEAH.

As for the monster? Let me help you.

0600 - the choppers take off
~6:15AM - bombing of the monster is witnessed
~6:20AM - Monster swipes down chopper
~6:30/6:45AM - kids get out of chopper, Hud is eaten
7:00AM - Rob and Beth under bridge, Hammer Down starts

So you see it's just IMPOSSIBLE for the monster to be in the same vicinity of the chopper it just smacked down after a span of only 15-25 minutes!!

fallout

TiVo said:

YEAH
I understand the desire to break the suspension of disbelief, but what you're nitpicking on here is shit that you could nitpick on in even the greatest of movies. People doing stupid things isn't unbelievable, it's human. Things happening coincidentally isn't unbelievable, it's life. If you didn't like the movie, that's cool. You don't have to, but stop wasting your time with this crap.

fallout said:
I understand the desire to break the suspension of disbelief, but what you're nitpicking on here is shit that you could nitpick on in even the greatest of movies. People doing stupid things isn't unbelievable, it's human. Things happening coincidentally isn't unbelievable, it's life. If you didn't like the movie, that's cool. You don't have to, but stop wasting your time with this crap.
Amen.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
TiVo said:

YEAH
You must lead a very mundane life.

TiVo

Iamthegamer said:
You must lead a very mundane life.

Yeah, so must the other folk in this thread that caused it to generate 45 pages.

And all the PS3 vs. 360 vs. Wii people that post.

And all the DS vs. PSP people that post.

All the I Am Legend arguements.

But I am the only one that leads the mundane life or you for coming in here.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I succumbed and saw it. My god, this movie pissed me off on so many levels.

Thoughts for a sequel or any imitators:

1) Fucking ditch the douchebag-amatuer-documentarian angle. It's beyond retarded how this guy kept recording during the whole ordeal. I love how he kept stopping and starting the camera in the middle of running from shit. If the goal was to make me utterly despise self-important-YouTube-generation-narcissistic-fuckheads, mission accomplished.

2) If you must keep the silly POV gimmick, can we get someone to shoot and narrate the thing that isn't a mouth-breathing Neanderthal? Had I been out there with Hud I would have murdered him so fucking fast and considered it self-defense. Just grab the damn camera and bash his skull in with it. Anything to stop him from proclaiming whatever dumb thought just popped into his head.

3) For that matter, less douchebags and utter idiots all around. I have a hard time believing some of those folks could have survived New York a normal day, let alone for 7 hours constantly in the monster's direct path of destruction.

4) Please, please, please don't have characters throw out lame exposition-style comments and questions that are so obviously directed to the audience. If you want to do a POV thing, quit being so self-consciously a movie.

If the characters had had some intelligence and non-repulsive personalities and we followed them with a Children Of Men style camera, this would have been an awesome movie. But all that other stuff was horribly offensive to my brain.

Blablurn

Yeah, i agree with you in terms of HUD's behaviour. he sucked big time. but i really liked Rob. Okay, he is crazy but I can understand him. And Lily joined him because after Jason's death she had nothing to lose.

The characters were nothing special but not as bad as you say (imo).

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I'll concede that Rob was the least offensive, but that's also because he had very little personality, if any. He was just a plot device, the guy who needs to save the girl in order to keep the camera moving towards the monster. A completely generic hero. Of course, Beth had even less personality, she was a virtual non-entity.

Blablurn

i agree with you :)

I really hope Paramount joins the Blu ray Party as soon as possible. I want to see this movie on my PS3 :<

MIMIC

Banned
Dan said:
2) If you must keep the silly POV gimmick, can we get someone to shoot and narrate the thing that isn't a mouth-breathing Neanderthal? Had I been out there with Hud I would have murdered him so fucking fast and considered it self-defense. Just grab the damn camera and bash his skull in with it. Anything to stop him from proclaiming whatever dumb thought just popped into his head.

Don't be too angry. Hud eventually got what he deserved :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom