• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Club Nintendo discontinued worldwide, new program to follow

Wil348

Shit, I'm going to have to hurry with the MK8 tshirt. Just wondering, how many EU CN stars do the downloadable Wii games get you?

Was already Plat again this year and still have a couple games needing registered as well as a 3DS.

I really liked Club Nintendo, especially a few years ago. I really hope they can provide something worthwhile for loyal Nintendo fans/customers.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I'm just hoping it's not a digital-only program. That'd be a killer.

Digital only next-gen console from Nintendo confirmed.

Honestly though, I have no clue what they'll do. I hope it's something good but I doubt it somehow.

I'll miss CN as an institution, grew up with Club Nintendo Magazine EU and my Game Boy. Still remember my "Club card" and the Mario pin that came with it back then.

Really hope this is going to lead to a nice unified online service. I have quite a few 3DSes, I really should be able to seamlessly share digital content between them. Similarly, Virtual Console purchases should carry across platforms. I think they'd sell a lot more games if people new they were building a digital library that they could keep forever on future Nintendo platforms.

Give the people what they want!

I wouldn't expect any change on current platforms.
The new program will probably establish the basis of the unified system that will come through next platforms.

Calm down my friend...

Calm down...

Nobody knows whats going on.

The NA press release seems clear enough. I figured something was up after they decided to print the codes on the labels. There is 0% chance the old codes will work in the new reward system, if there is one (UK hints at it, NA doesn't).

Although I am curious what the rewards are in February. Hope it is nice since they are closing in July.

Boba2007

I only have 135 coins, and I'm 165 coins away from Platinum. Looks like the only thing I'm getting is the Gold reward D:

This sucks.

ngower

So I assume no gold/platinum, just physical and digital rewards until you use your coins up?

Kinda weird on Nintendo's part given how regularly CN was used for free game promos, but I guess they have something else in mind....right? RIGHT?! NINTENDO?!?!

So I assume no gold/platinum, just physical and digital rewards until you use your coins up?

Kinda weird on Nintendo's part given how regularly CN was used for free game promos, but I guess they have something else in mind....right? RIGHT?! NINTENDO?!?!

Elite rewards start April 1st.

oti

Banned
I'm at 5000 plus some stars. Let's see what they'll add.
I already got the rare MK7 trophy and that Luigi's Mansion 2 diorama.
Hoping to sell them at one point for some €€€.

Interesting... I wonder if they're going for a PS Plus style service? Could mean some interesting account announcement.

If this was a couple of years ago I wouldn't have had high hopes, but Nintendo have been smashing it as of late.

I've been hoarding all my point cards since Wii U. ;~;
I guess I should register them all soon.
But there's nothing in the EU store I want. D:

sugarless

This can only be a good thing in the long run if they replace it with something good. A consistent global brand that offers rewards commensurate with the money spent to get the stars/coins/points, and more consistent rewards worldwide instead of amazingly cool stuff for Japan and the dregs elsewhere.

Club Nintendo came online in different regions at different times, and was based on legacy services in some areas. The UK/Europe website is a mess, and is completely off brand: it's all stupid lifestyle photos of attractive models in white spaces which Nintendo were using to market Wii in 2007. Registering games is a struggle as you tell it each and every time what age you are and your gaming experience - maybe some European data protection law prevents them from storing your basic details, but that doesn't make it any less irritating. The survey questions are repetitive and don't even cover all the options: it always asks you whether the game you just bought was why you got the system and the options are something like "I bought the 3DS to play this", "I already had the 3DS", or "The game didn't affect my decision to buy a 3DS". These options barely make sense and don't cover the most likely scenario that you already had the system and of course this game didn't affect your purchasing decision for hardware because you bought the hardware before the game was even fucking announced.

Also, they now have a chance to properly integrate the whole thing into their console system software if they design it that way from scratch. Club Nintendo ID and Nintendo Network ID being separate is a clusterfuck and confusing to new consumers. The new service needs to simply operate based on NNID, and could even be integrated with Miiverse, or at least get its own system app on 3DS and Wii U. You could do the digital surveys right on the console.

More pie-in-the-sky but: the whole Wii U Premium thing was interesting but it wasn't that clear to me even as a follower of Nintendo where it was available and how to get it. If they follow the PS Plus lead and relaunch the rewards stuff as part of a subscription service - maybe even with Virtual Console becoming a monthly sub? That would be very interesting.

Axass

I've been hoarding all my point cards since Wii U. ;~;
I guess I should register them all soon.
But there's nothing in the EU store I want. D:

Register them anyway or else they're going to expire. You can buy eshop cards if they don't add anything decent. Better than nothing.

I don't remember the last time, if ever, a customer loyalty program changed for the better. Normally when those types of programs are replaced, they are replaced by inferior ones.

What I expect is a shift away from physical releases and "offers" that tie customers to things that should help lead to other purchases, for example, a reward for "points" for that Pokemon puzzle game that can let you play it for longer, or maybe an exclusive Amiibo that unlocks content in a game you don't own.

I think that with Amiibos Nintendo learned how valuable it can be to have products that offer value across their entire range of products and it wouldn't surprise me the least to see their new loyalty program take advantage of that.

In any case, I'm glad I already ordered my MK8 shirt. I only have 100 points right now.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Nevermind it's morning and I'm blind.

Glad to see that NA will still get a platinum reward.

I don't remember the last time, if ever, a customer loyalty program changed for the better. Normally when those types of programs are replaced, they are replaced by inferior ones.
I am expecting them to get rid of rewards completely in NA saying it was to "save customer's money" or something like that.

Edit:
The information in your Club Nintendo account will not be transferred to the new loyalty program. We are adding multiple items to our reward catalog, so please be sure to redeem your Coins before the deadline on June 30, 2015. Unused Coins will be deleted as of July 1, 2015.
Ha, I was right. Coins don't transfer.

Gartooth

I'm OK with them shutting down, the service clearly hasn't been as good as when it first started years ago in NA. Anyway, I doubt I have more than 5 games left to register although I've been saving points for quite a while now. (Hope they didn't expire...)

Got screwed out of a code for Smash Wii U though. I registered it for the promos, but it didn't work despite being a new copy. I think someone else generated my code which sucked, but the last time I checked my registration appeared on my account so I was able to get CDs+Mewtwo. Only unfortunate thing is I never got the coins for the game since it said the survey was closed, but assuming I don't fall short of a good reward I can deal with that.

I'm in the US program
I should register all my games & coins now right?
They stated coins will not transfer and there is a good chance any games made before April will not be redeemable in the new program, so register away.
Coins I would hold out to see what they have in Feb.

I am expecting the new program to probably only give you $10 discount for eShop games like Best Buy reward points.

espher

Was debating whether or not to hold on to my PINs in case the new program used them in some fashion, but it doesn't look to be the case...

Time to register all those 20 coin Wii/DS games and burn through all my 3DS/WiiU stuff!

Time to cash in those thousands of points I had for a...... screensaver :|

I'm pretty sure I still had thousands of points on my account left over and expired from the last time they pulled this shit.

GameE

They stated coins will not transfer and there is a good chance any games made before April will not be redeemable in the new program, so register away.
Coins I would hold out to see what they have in Feb.

I am expecting the new program to probably only give you $10 discount for eShop games like Best Buy reward points.

Cool beans thanks

Glad I didn't try to get platinum this year. More downloaded games as the elite reward?

I'm glad to see this program go, they turned it to shit in the last 2 years. Hopefully the new program requires less work to get downloadable games if that's all they are going offer.

.la1n

I guess the part of me that kept hoarding coins away is relieved. I think it's been a pretty fun incentive program to participate in so hopefully it's successor is something similar.

Javier

I have around 800 points but could reach around 2,000 with all my pending codes. No point in hoarding them anymore.

Surprise me, NoA. Go out with a bang.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
The Wii U virtual console's lack of games has been the worst expect of all this. Hate going in to Wii mode and most of the time, the Wii has much better offerings.

Physical rewards in North America haven't been interesting in years.

20 shy of Platinum this year and 900 coins.

I wouldn't be surprised either. I think at best we will see mostly digital things.
Yeah. While I enjoy Best Buy's program, it isn't that exciting of a program. You earn points by each purchase and gives you free coupons based on points.
I bet Nintendo will do the same thing. Free $5, $10, $20 eShop codes.

Gartooth

There's no point in trying to go for Platinum if you get the exact same reward as Gold again this year. FFS at least give an extra game or a higher valued one. Wouldn't be surprised if downloadable Galaxy 2 and the like were given out.

WillyFive

Terrible. I wish they would build upon their established accounts and not throw the, away for very limited and backward new ones.

Megasoum

Banned
So I assume that the new offering of games from this morning (Super Metroid, Super Punchout, Mario 2, etc) will be the last batch of games available?

Also is there a way to play Super Metroid and Super Punchout on the wiiU without switching to Wii Mode?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
So I assume that the new offering of games from this morning (Super Metroid, Super Punchout, Mario 2, etc) will be the last batch of games available?

Also is there a way to play Super Metroid and Super Punchout on the wiiU without switching to Wii Mode?
You can pay to move your Super Metroid license to Wii U. Not sure about Punch Out.

Piccoro

Yeah, you have to pay the upgrade fee to download the Wii U versions of those games.

We had a good run, I only hope they somehow find a way to carry to the new program the history, as in all the years i got platinum

I have like 800 coins unused

SerTapTap

UUUUUGGGHH aside from this sucking in general, I am 35 coins away and they removed the UI to take surveys. Can I get to the page somehow still?

Top Bottom