• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Club Nintendo discontinued worldwide, new program to follow

Shadoron

What does this mean? If I buy a digital game after tomorrow, I will no longer earn any stars? If so, I'm buying Duck Hunt today, as I was planning on getting it next week...

If I had to guess, it sounds like if a game was released prior to 1/20/2015, you will receive coins / stars for it. I'm not sure exactly how digital will work though. Obviously, retail games will have the codes in the packages.

Kiru

Aww man, I don't know if I should open my Bayonetta 2 First Print Edition & Zelda WW HD Limited Edition just for those codes... I don't think there is something worth it in the European star catalogue. Also have one code from Skyward Sword still.

EDIT: Just checked, best I could get that is that Pikmin keychain or Nintendo Points... and that's after buying the Wii U for extra 1000 stars.

Mr_L

Aw, this is kind of sad. But if it means something new and (hopefully) better in the long run, let's do it.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Got my fair share of rewards over the years - G&W Ball, coins, Mario Family Statue, soundtracks, etc.

Anyway, calling it now: "New Club Nintendo"

Rocky

Banned
Aww man, I don't know if I should open my Bayonetta 2 First Print Edition & Zelda WW HD Limited Edition just for those codes... I don't think there is something worth it in the European star catalogue. Also have one code from Skyward Sword still.

They said they will be added more stuff next month, from the NA site:

All Coins will be deleted when Club Nintendo accounts are closed on July 1, 2015. As a result, to give our members the best opportunity to use their Coins, we will add dozens of downloadable games and a limited quantity of exclusive reward items to the rewards catalog in February. In addition, as a small token of appreciation for your loyalty, all Club Nintendo members will receive a free download code for Flipnote Studio 3D in February 2015. Please visit here for information on the software and how to get the download code.

jariw

Since this seems to be a world-wide change, let's hope that the new system works in all countries this time.

Platy

Ah that sucks =/
I hope they add lots of cool digital games ...
I wonder if Nintendo Brasil was the one running Club Nintendo ...
Well that is really bad ... that suc*

*reads article*

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH FLIPNOTEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

TOTALY WORTH IT

McNum

I hope whatever replaces this is something that's useful on a global basis. Calling it "the European Club Nintendo" is an exaggeration at best, and a boldfaced lie at worst.

It's no fun to not actually know if you can get Mewtwo or not despite having both Smash games just because of geography. So here's hoping that the next thing actually works.

Yrael

There's only so much effort I'm going to put into these surveys over time.

nq3j9TD.png

YEEEEEEEES.
As much as I liked getting goodies from Club Nintendo, if it being closed down means that Flipnote Studio 3D can finally come in the US and Europe, then I'll gladly let it happen.
Watch them ruin online functions to "think of the children" after that Swapnote incident.

Wonder how the new loyalty system will work without codes.
You buy the games digitally it's automatic, you buy the game retail wise you gotta post on Miiverse to show you own it XP

I seriously hope it's not like this and they sorted out something easy to register games with.

Balb

You buy the games digitally it's automatic, you buy the game retail wise you gotta post on Miiverse to show you own it XP

I seriously hope it's not like this and they sorted out something easy to register games with.

I'm just hoping it's not a digital-only program. That'd be a killer.

Rocky

Banned
I think we might need a title change for this topic, since its being discontinued everywhere, not just Europe.

Shadders

I manged to get that statue too! though it took a long long time and many money and the damn thing is now broken :( Gold rubbing off and his sword snapped

The sword got snapped on mine too. Mum always told me not to play football indoors.

I was able to put it back together with some craft glue so you couldn't really tell now.

one_kill

I hope Nintendo of Australia add more things soon

I'm tempted to buy whatever left that seems ok, but I'm holding out for better items

Jawmuncher

Well shit. Guess I need to add some more games asap so I can use all my coins. Kinda sucks that when I decide to get platinum this happens.

Zafir

pro-gram

you're wrong, even more than putting a U in color for no reason.

huh?
In the UK, program is used for software programs, computer programming etc. Everything else is programme.

That said more recently its getting more interchangeable.

openrob

Just had trouble logging in but it went through after a minute.

I have never ordered anything from Club Nintnendo. Should I just cop some items now or wait it out?
Have enough for the MK8 tshirt.

Saiyan-Rox

The sword got snapped on mine too. Mum always told me not to play football indoors.

I was able to put it back together with some craft glue so you couldn't really tell now.

The sword broke on mine as well, then I threw it away :(

and now that 15,000 stars purchase is worthless. the way Ninty valued those games a consoles was terrible anyway so again not much of a loss. I don't even think the 3000 stars I have atm will get me anything even decent.

Shadders

and now that 15,000 stars purchase is worthless. the way Ninty valued those games a consoles was terrible anyway so again not much of a loss. I don't even think the 3000 stars I have atm will get me anything even decent.

You could get some wrapping paper!

5268-547c631640248.png

Piccoro

Wonder how the new loyalty system will work without codes.

On the original Wii, Nintendo tracked your games (physical or digital) and play time when the user used the Nintendo Channel.
Borrowed games still give incorrect data, though...

Jucksalbe

Banned
Hmm...I guess I'll wait if something interesting shows up soon and if not I'll trade my stars for Wii points on my European account.
Of course, in NA they only have 3DS download games I already own, my coins were (almost) useless until the end.

Sakujou

Banned
damn, i hate nintendo. back then i had the chance of exchanging my stars for a limited silver gba. never took the chance because i was waiting for such a program with the gba sp. then there was the golden zelda statue for 5 times more. and now they are killing the program. i have at least 2000 stars sitting in my collection, because i never opened the wii/ds games... and then there are gamecube games where nintendo stopped taking the stars in :(

damn, fuck you nintendo :(:( :( :(:( :( :(:(:( :(:( :(

(just ordered the new 3ds, zelda LE, mh4u and n3dsXL, for fucks sake)

damn, i hate nintendo. back then i had the chance of exchanging my stars for a limited silver gba. never took the chance because i was waiting for such a program with the gba sp. then there was the golden zelda statue for 5 times more. and now they are killing the program. i have at least 2000 stars sitting in my collection, because i never opened the wii/ds games... and then there are gamecube games where nintendo stopped taking the stars in :(

damn, fuck you nintendo :(:( :( :(:( :( :(:(:( :(:( :(

(just ordered the new 3ds, zelda LE, mh4u and n3dsXL, for fucks sake)
Lol...sorry.... But lol...

Shadders

Really hope this is going to lead to a nice unified online service. I have quite a few 3DSes, I really should be able to seamlessly share digital content between them. Similarly, Virtual Console purchases should carry across platforms. I think they'd sell a lot more games if people new they were building a digital library that they could keep forever on future Nintendo platforms.

Give the people what they want!

Top Bottom