• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS - October 2011 |OT| - Goons, Godmothers, and Gunwitches!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tyree said:
The Coffin is good but Deep Sleeper is better.

Also sounds wildly different from The Coffin:

Cole Gibson is haunted by vivid and terrifying nightmares that cripple his career and alienate his family. He soon discovers his dreams are merely doorways into a separate, hidden level of reality populated by beings beyond imagining. The menacing forces lurking in this realm crave one prize above all - Cole Gibson's soul.

Typically when you say X is better than Y, they are both at least in the same classification. Unfortunately comic book is too broad a categorization.

Anyhow - OH GOD YES, BLAST IT ALL OVER MY MAN-TITS!

2gwvs54.jpg

Can't wait to start buying this run.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Lionel Mandrake said:
Sweet Jesus, did anyone else pick up Penguin? It's like Brian Azzarello's Joker applied to Cobblepot. So messed up. Really good though.
Good to hear, I was hoping it would be good.

supermanbatman55a.jpg

This is what Batman would do with Superman's powers, running from the sun and kicking ass through the night all over the world! Sure, this leads to him punching a hole in Bane and nearly beating Nightwing to death, but omelets and eggs, etc.

LeonSKennedy90 said:
This is what Batman would do with Superman's powers, running from the sun and kicking ass through the night all over the world! Sure, this leads to him punching a hole in Bane and nearly beating Nightwing to death, but omelets and eggs, etc.

I don't know what's worse.

Twilight fans or Batman fans.

Just read Action and Detective. I don't know. For some reason I'm just not feeling Action so far. Detective is better to me, although, yeah, it's unclear how it fits in the universe. Also, this ending is even more WTF-inducing than the last.

Penguin was definitely the comic of the week for me.

Rafa=FedKilla said:
DC needs to reboot Police Comics to accompany Action and Detective, so Plastic Man can be loved by new fans.

I can dig it!

Loved Plastic Man on Morrison's JLA.

I've always liked him, even if his powers and costume are mildly creepy. Just a fun character.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I'm still reading this week's books (Animal Man / Swamp Thing / Chew are possible top 3), but needed to breathe this bad boy in....

eL8mGl.jpg

1st print / Mint

soooo gooood

Tyree

Neo Member
The Take Out Bandit said:
Also sounds wildly different from The Coffin:

Typically when you say X is better than Y, they are both at least in the same classification. Unfortunately comic book is too broad a categorization.

They have the same creative team and if you cant compare them on that then I don't know what you can compare them on.

Tyree said:
They have the same creative team and if you cant compare them on that then I don't know what you can compare them on.

I can dig it, but one sounds like the story of an orange versus the story of an apple.

Like trying to compare Dan Simmons crime novels to his scifi or horror novels.

Thanks for the plug though. I kind of miss Phil Hester the artist. :(

KidDork

For the second day running, my wife forgot to pick up Ghostbusters for me on her way home from work.

So I'm thinking divorce. Too much?

Satch

Banned
KidDork said:
For the second day running, my wife forgot to pick up Ghostbusters for me on her way home from work.

So I'm thinking divorce. Too much?
divorce and take everything!

Tyree said:
The sad part about that pic is it doesn't exist in reality because Bolland with completely digital a couple years ago.

Yeah, not news. Dave Gibbons is another old timer who has gone all digital too.

Doesn't matter.

So long as they're producing work, I'm good. Bolland needs to do more interiors.

He did a short story in the final issue of The Spirit from DC and it was f*cking amazing.

God damn.

Kamandi Omnibus is SOOOO DAMN GOOD!

The binding makes some of the double page spreads a little tough to soak in, but omg the fresh paper and shockingly brilliant colors just leap off the page. The issues are a nice artifact / time capsule to hold in my hand and transport me to back then in my mind, but new readers need to buy this.

Speaking of Kirby and Hester, DC really ought to get Hester/Parks to do something Kirby related. There's a similar energy to Hesters work.

God damn.

Kamandi Omnibus is SOOOO DAMN GOOD!

The binding makes some of the double page spreads a little tough to soak in, but omg the fresh paper and shockingly brilliant colors just leap off the page. The issues are a nice artifact / time capsule to hold in my hand and transport me to back then in my mind, but new readers need to buy this.

Speaking of Kirby and Hester, DC really ought to get Hester/Parks to do something Kirby related. There's a similar energy to Hesters work.

I got it too. I love the paper they use for those books. I can't believe some people don't like it. They want their art to be as shiny as possible.

Tatsumaki Senpuukyaku! said:
I got it too. I love the paper they use for those books. I can't believe some people don't like it. They want their art to be as shiny as possible.

Heavy non glossy paper stock bro-fist!

Yeah, I'm not a fan of reflective funnybook paper.

It's comics, not Camaros.

It probably makes the book cheaper too (or at least I imagine it does)

Possibly, but it's still a great decision for these older titles.

I may snag the OMAC collection due to how awesome this collection is.

Possibly, but it's still a great decision for these older titles.

I may snag the OMAC collection due to how awesome this collection is.

I've got some of the Fourth World ones and they look great as well. I'm pretty sure all the Steve Ditko ones are on that paper as well, but I'm not a huge fan of Ditko's DC work. The Gene Colon Batman collection that just came out is, unfortunately, on super glossy paper. They've got a bunch of other pre-crisis Batman artist hardcovers coming out (Newton, Aparo, and Marshall Rogers) so that doesn't bode well for them :(

bangai-o said:
my comic shop closed down. My last comic was the latest Thunderbolts.

What?

Was there any warning, or did this come out of the blue?

I've got some of the Fourth World ones and they look great as well. I'm pretty sure all the Steve Ditko ones are on that paper as well, but I'm not a huge fan of Ditko's DC work. The Gene Colon Batman collection that just came out is, unfortunately, on super glossy paper. They've got a bunch of other pre-crisis Batman artist hardcovers coming out (Newton, Aparo, and Marshall Rogers) so that doesn't bode well for them :(

I'll check my Creeper collection tomorrow. It's still unopened. :X

Anybody interested in helping a guy get his sketchbook kickstarted? I was working on something to contribute for this, but I petered out along the way.

HAW!

Inking, lol

bangai-o

Banned
What?

Was there any warning, or did this come out of the blue?
it had been hard for him all year. I knew the summer was going to be even harsher, with some bounce back in the fall, but pulling loans every so often to make the orders, people not coming in to pick up their box for months, and i guess Diamond is a pain for small comic shops. On the other hand, I think he really screwed up on the New 52 launch when he only had about 1 of each book on the shelf.

There are still 2 shops on the other side of town, but Im pretty sure I going digital.

Guess it's true people buy Batman regardless of the story. Then again, I bought all the main Bat books except The Dark Knight. Wonder what October's list will look like.

Xater

VGChampion said:
Guess it's true people buy Batman regardless of the story. Then again, I bought all the main Bat books except The Dark Knight. Wonder what October's list will look like.

Well we will se how many will return to The Dark Knight and Batman & robin with issue 2. I doubt the books will continue to doe this good.

vazel

Banned
How the hell did The Crow special edition sneak past me. O'Barr's been teasing it for years and I've been checking for it on Amazon every couple months. I'm glad it finally came out.

Xater

Now that I have read this week's comics I can say that Swamp Thing and Animal Man continue to be my favorite books. Both are just so fucking good.

wenis

This weeks books

Superior #5 - I've been really enjoying Superior lately. Especially since Millar's other offerings (*cough*kickass*cough*) have been abysmal. So Superior has been quite refreshing and a fun read. Number 5 progresses that story and left me satisfied. I just hope he can close the book up in a clever/good way.

Moon Knight #6 - This book just keeps getting better and better. An Ultron head in Moon Knights possession will only end one way...in disaster :)

Sweet Tooth #26 - I didn't finish this one all the way. It's really really really dense this month and has nothing to do with Sweet Tooth the character, but this arc is definitely going to be about the origin of the title character and the disease that's wiped out most of the human race.

Animal Man #2 - Wow is all that came out of my mouth at the end of this issue. God the entire thing is so fucked, but I really can't wait to see what comes of it. Animal Man (And Swap Thing) are kicking a lot of ass in the DCU and no one is noticing past Batman's mediocrity.

Swamp Thing #2 - What a strong read and visually pleasing. It's set up the entire road for Swamp Thing and I am really excited to see what's going to happen. Top 3 for the week right here. Fantastic stuff and Snyder is continuing to show us he's a writer at DC to watch.

X-Men #19 - Mediocre ending to a mediocre book. I forget if this book is falling off the face of the earth after the split or if it's still ongoing, but it's definitely on the chopping block right now. One more and I will probably (most likely) drop it.

X-Men Schism #5 - A Marvel event that ends in an appropriate manner and a bit of hope for the future. I'll probably end up following both X books because I'd like to see what comes of Logan's plans. Especially with that ending.

Deadpool #44 - This has been Way's best arc in a long time. Actually Deadpool's entire trip to the nut house has been great and leaves me with a bit of hope in Way that he'll do some more work like this with DP for awhile. If not, I want Simone back, writing the DP book :)

Chew #21 - I'm such a Chew whore, but it was book of the week. Layman and Guillroy continue to pump out such a solid book. Month to month with humor embedded everywhere and Tony being tossed down to work as a meter maid killed me. Especially the last panel of the book. Poor Tony :lol

Books of the Week:

Chew #21
Swamp Thing #2
Animal Man #2
X-Men: Schism #5
Deadpool #44

bangai-o

Banned
VGChampion said:
Snyder is on a hot streak and the industry knows it. I dont see the surprise of Batman taking the top spot.

Catwoman and Starfire can go swivel, here's Empowered Deluxe Edition (Bleeding Cool)

For some it’s a guilty secret.

Others shout it from the rooftop.

But Empowered by Adam Warren is an incredibly funny, heartwarming, wonderfully drafted, comic about a superheroine who constantly gets stripped of her clothing and gets tied up in increasingly uncomfortable positions, usually with a ball gag in her mouth.

It is demeaning, it is despicable – and it is honestly delightful. Emp, our heroine, whose powers only work when her costume is intact – and it rarely is – deals with constant disaster, as both a superhero and in her personal life, against crippling self doubt, and the scorn of her enemies, peers and media, to constantly triumph.

It is possibly the most life affirming comic I’ve ever read – that also depicts the lead in a series of sexploitative S&M fantasies.

And Dark Horse are collecting the the first three graphic novels with a bunch of new features, in the first deluxe edition, for February.

And I have already pre-ordered my copy. You really should too.
Yay Rich! Preach, brother! :D

Nesotenso

x1t4q.jpg

Looks like confirmation of Brian Wood working on Wolverine. Probably taking over from Aaron who is moving onto Hulk. I hope it's not a second ongoing. Aaron did great work with Logan but excited to see what Wood will do.

wenis

Brian Wood doing anything is noteworthy. Will definitely be reading that Wolverine book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom