• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS - October 2011 |OT| - Goons, Godmothers, and Gunwitches!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is wholly anecdotal, but I'm baffled as to where these sites are getting that "returns on 'The New 52' comics will be almost nonexistent" line from. Because the shop I buy from is definitely still sitting on sizeable stacks of low-tier books from the line (Men of War, Mister Terrific, I Vampire, Voodoo, Static Shock, etc.) that they're never going to sell through completely; I can't imagine they're the only small comics retailer in the country facing that proposition.

Or maybe they are the only one. o_O

Also, OMAC apparently sold fewer copies than Men of War, yet Men of War is being mentioned in rumors as one of several from the first crop to be the chopping block.

Nesotenso said:
x1t4q.jpg

Looks like confirmation of Brian Wood working on Wolverine. Probably taking over from Aaron who is moving onto Hulk. I hope it's not a second ongoing. Aaron did great work with Logan but excited to see what Wood will do.

uhhhhuhuhhhhhhhh muh guhhhhhdddddd

bri bri weewoood

and the dubbie q?????

Nesotenso

WascallyWabbit said:
Anyone read Fear Agent this week? It was great!

I will read Fear Agent someday because of Remender. He made a fan out of me with Venom and Uncanny X-force.

Also will be interesting to see, if DC can maintain those numbers 5-6 months from now. I don't think they will.

Blader

Spike Spiegel said:
Also, OMAC apparently sold fewer copies than Men of War, yet Men of War is being mentioned in rumors as one of several from the first crop to be the chopping block.

Where are you hearing that?

(and Animal Man better not be on that list!)

TheDiabolical

I didn't read my own avatar and now everyone knows I'm not too bright. :(
got pick ups this week

Action Comics #2 lol @ abusing Superman
Detective Comics #2 wtf @ Commisioner Gordon
Animal Man #2 dug the Salvidor Dali looking page
XMen Schism #5 bring on Wolverine and the Xmen damn it!

really interested in Batman Noel next month

youbigtease.jpg

also Avenging Spiderman

phplIsJGtdetail.jpg

Blader5489 said:
Where are you hearing that?

(and Animal Man better not be on that list!)
'Men of War' has been rumored for early cancellation going on months now; its pre-order figures were reportedly lowest in the entire line for September. And according to Rich Johnston there's a big white board in the DC offices where every aspect of "The New 52" books is being managed and monitored -- including which books are underperforming and/or facing an early end.

But now, the numbers come out and 'Men of War' is ranked one place higher than 'OMAC' on the Top 100.

EDIT:

Dan said:
Can you see more than the top 10 issues somewhere?
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/10/07/will-o-m-a-c-be-first-for-the-chop/

The August issue of Venom (#6) sold about 35k copies and has been pretty steady; OMAC and Men of War then, probably sold close to that, which was 18% of what Batman #1 sold (right?). Which means Batman #1 at the top generated... roughly 200k copies sold right?

Anyone else reading the Butcher, Baker, Candlestickmaker? I kinda stopped reading the Boys, not because I didn't enjoy it, but just took a long break and finally catching up with the trades. Picked up the first 3 issues of Butcher and really liking it.

I'm not sure if I want to start buying the Boys single issues or just wait till the next TPB, although seems like it'll be a long wait, especially if the Butcher becomes one of the trades.

Barnes & Noble is apparently pretty pissed at DC

Last week, DC Comics announced that it would be digitally releasing 100 backlist graphic novels exclusively on the Kindle Fire, an Amazon-owned e-reader, including classics like The Dark Knight Returns and Watchmen. This decision did not go over well with mega-retailer Barnes and Noble, whose Nook e-reader was excluded by the deal, and has now decided to remove all copies of those specific DC titles from their brick and mortar stores.

In a statement to Publishers Weekly, a Barnes and Noble representative explained, "We pulled those 100 DC Comics graphic novels that we were not offered in digital format. Our policy is that unless we receive all formats of a title to make available to our customers, we will not sell those physical titles in our stores."

EDIT: New teaser image from Marvel:

WhatIfThereWasntOnlyOne_02.jpg

Tizoc

wenis said:
what. does. it. mean. ?.
Might have to do with Cap, but we all know the first Captain America was black =V

Acid08 said:
New Invincible this month!
Heh just read it, and while it felt slow the ending was interesting among other things-
So is Invincible quiting? He seems to want to settle down with Eve.
Also Monster Girl is sexy~ That outfit of hers is too much lol.

This panel was hilarious too-
http://i.imgur.com/l0M71.jpg

Other books I enjoyed this week were:
OMAC and Action Comics.
Great stuff but OMAC's art needs better inking IMO, and I like how Didio just has the dialog be a nod to Kirby's hammy writing lol. The ending of OMAC 2 was pure SHIT JUST GOT SERIOUS, SON!

Oh and The Boys is ending in a few months it seems seeing as we are now entering the last 2 story arcs, but is Buther sure
Jack killed his dog? Could've been Vaught American really

Oh and I have a theory that Butcher hates capes really because they're bigger cunts than he is =V

Xater

BenjaminBirdie said:
Second Bucky made from the Wintie Soldie program?

Yeah I was also thinking, probably another Winter Soldier.

Also I don't care how anything else does as long as Swamp Thing and Animal man continue. I have to say that I am surprised Animal Man is doing so much worse than Swamp Thing, I expected them to perform about the same. More people need to read it.

Another Winter Soldier would be dumb, especially since they just
killed off Bucky

Marvel needs to stop with the shocking death crap. You could have two very different Captain America, Spider-Man, etc. type heroes running around the universe. Use the extras to tell stories you never would have the balls to with the originals.

Nesotenso

Rafa=FedKilla said:
If they cancel Static Shock I'm gonna be pissed.

And I didn't lnow Avengers Academy was doing so poorly. :(

x-23 and Thunderbolts aren't doing too hot either, both being excellent books.

OMAC gets one more issue and then the hammer falls.

I finally put my finger on why the first issue didn't grab me.

Here was this super powerful character, not doing a whole hell of a lot. It's no use having a super powered character just doing property damage.

Didio thinks he can get away with dropping some bad writing in issue 2 with the whole "Our hero made a call BETWEEN ISSUES!"

No.

You're barely telling a competent action story, much less a larger story with some substance to it. By skipping on the character development, you're not giving me any reason to give a sh*t about Kevin, or OMAC.

Non-villains are a total bore as well.

People comparing this to Rulk / Savage Dragon couldn't be farther from the mark.

So far All Star Western is the only of the fancy 52 I feel is worth the cash I spent on it.

comedy bomb said:
Another Winter Soldier would be dumb, especially since they just
killed off Bucky

Marvel needs to stop with the shocking death crap. You could have two very different Captain America, Spider-Man, etc. type heroes running around the universe. Use the extras to tell stories you never would have the balls to with the originals.

Especially since Bucky was just wasted for a mediocre story.

Busaiku

I was thinking of checking out The Flash, but I don't really know much about Barry Allen.
I love Wally West though (mostly from the cartoons, but some random comics as well).

So is it worth getting into?

Busaiku said:
I was thinking of checking out The Flash, but I don't really know much about Barry Allen.
I love Wally West though (mostly from the cartoons, but some random comics as well).

I'm much more a Wally fan (ironically thanks to Johns awesome Flash run), and had no interest in a Barry Flash book, but I really enjoyed Flash #1. I would recommend at least giving the first issue a try.

Xater

Busaiku said:

I only know Wally and loved it. This book totally had a Spider-Man feeling to it, which is great for this character I think.

Captain N

I read Amazing Spider-Man #666 - #670 last night. Plus I read Action Comics #2 as well.

Action Comics | The art in these books are pretty bad. I like what they are doing with the characters, but the art is really pretty terrible so far. This is what I imagine would happen if a Superman were to come to earth. The story is good and they are doing a good job at setting up the characters for the future.

Spider Island I'm in love with the art work and the coloring. Its amazing if you ask me and some times I'd turn to the next page(digitally) and just stare at the art before I read it. So so good. The writing is really well and they have done a good job at covering a lot of characters as well as telling this story that just makes me want the next book already!

I haven't read a comic on day one until DC New 52. I havent really even read many before that either, but the writing and art in Spider-Man is more exciting and appealing to me than any of the new 52 books that I read so far.

Next up. X-Men.

Shin Johnpv said:
Barnes & Noble: We're taking our ball and going home, screw you guys!

Still sh*t news for an entertainment medium with an already limited distribution and availability.

B&N are being babies, but you're not a content provider so STFU and sell the damned books. Ugh.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Can't really blame B&N. They're desperately clinging to a near-death business. They're going to lash out at anyone exclusively helping their competitor.

Dan said:
Can't really blame B&N. They're desperately clinging to a near-death business. They're going to lash out at anyone exclusively helping their competitor.

Do they carry books on pyrrhic victories?

I got to say I'm a bit pissed at Radical Books at the moment. Hotwire is a really great series, but this trade paperback is threatening to fall apart in my hands. :(

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
CaptYamato said:
What were the DC releases this week and are they on the iPad app?

Yeah, theyre on the comixology app and they're the first of the #2s so will be fairly easy to notice. Among them are swamp thing, animal man and detective comics.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Animal Man and Action Comics have been awesome, the rest of the new 52 are at best the same as before the reset and in many cases (Superman) a lot worse.

And what is changed, fundamentally anyway? Wasn't the whole point of this to start producing comics that new readers could get into, that didn't require knowing 80+ years of back story, and updated the characters to "modern" times for modern readers who would be into this stuff?

I'm not seeing that. Superman has a new costume that is just as stupid as the old one but isn't iconic. Batman is still Batman, but before there was some real forward movement with the development of Batman Inc (I know it's not gone but postponed but still). Swamp Thing 1 and 2 heavily rely on being familiar with ST's back story. Ditto Hawkman. For the most part these comics read just like comics did before the reboot.

I think this is going to fizzle out pretty quick.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Fatghost said:
Animal Man and Action Comics have been awesome, the rest of the new 52 are at best the same as before the reset and in many cases (Superman) a lot worse.

And what is changed, fundamentally anyway? Wasn't the whole point of this to start producing comics that new readers could get into, that didn't require knowing 80+ years of back story, and updated the characters to "modern" times for modern readers who would be into this stuff?

I'm not seeing that. Superman has a new costume that is just as stupid as the old one but isn't iconic. Batman is still Batman, but before there was some real forward movement with the development of Batman Inc (I know it's not gone but postponed but still). Swamp Thing 1 and 2 heavily rely on being familiar with ST's back story. Ditto Hawkman. For the most part these comics read just like comics did before the reboot.

The cloaked woman has to be their trump card when the new DCU fails... she'll reset everything! you'll see!

Captain N

Fatghost said:

Im just curious how Superman changed for the worse.

Captain N said:
The art work in Spider Island is outstanding, any other comics from this artist that I should check out?

Does the artist have a name?

If it's Humberto Ramos - then check out his run on Impulse at DC, it's his early work but the writing is solid and the character is fun.

His two creator owned books Out There and Crimson are both work checking out.

He's a pretty prolific illustrator, so if you check http://www.comics.org/ you'll find a ton of stuff he has worked on.

Reilly Brown and Stefano Caselli are also both solid artists too, but I'm not sure if they've popped up in your run yet. Unfortunately both of these guys have been under utilized by Marvel IMO.

Captain N

The Take Out Bandit said:
Does the artist have a name?

If it's Humberto Ramos - then check out his run on Impulse at DC, it's his early work but the writing is solid and the character is fun.

His two creator owned books Out There and Crimson are both work checking out.

He's a pretty prolific illustrator, so if you check http://www.comics.org/ you'll find a ton of stuff he has worked on.

Reilly Brown and Stefano Caselli are also both solid artists too, but I'm not sure if they've popped up in your run yet. Unfortunately both of these guys have been under utilized by Marvel IMO.

I'll check and see who it is that did the art after work tonight. I like the art so much in Spider Island that I went back to look into reading 642 - 665, but the art in 642 just didn't grab me enough.

Thanks for the Heads up about comics.org. I will make sure I check it out soon enough.

KidDork

Rafa=FedKilla said:
DC needs to reboot Police Comics to accompany Action and Detective, so Plastic Man can be loved by new fans.

YES.

Finally, after an eternity of waiting in which ages came and went, I read Ghostbusters. Worth the wait and worthy of the buzz it gets here. I'm not a huge Ghostbusters fan, but I still smiled throughout and got the references. Nice cameo, too. Not as sold on the more realistic artwork for the backup story because I think the more cartoony approach works best here.

I'm unsure what's going on in Animal Man #2, but still enjoyed it. And why would a skeleton be thirsty? Of all the questions this book made me think, this one has kept me wondering the most.

Detective Comics still feels clunky to me. I'm going to have to wean myself from the need to keep collecting the title and perhaps leave it until someone else takes over the writing chores.

As for the New 52 fizzling, I think Didio announcing that the Crisises didn't happen was the first stress fracture in that particular bubble. The man is a genius. Just a genius.

LEGENDARY ARTIST ANDY KUBERT TO JOIN DC COMICS-THE NEW 52
Sunday, October 9th, 2011

By Josh Kushins

Fresh off of his bestselling FLASHPOINT miniseries, industry legend Andy Kubert will be joining critically acclaimed writer Grant Morrison for a special, two-issue arc of ACTION COMICS in DC COMICS-THE NEW 52. Issues #5 and #6 will guest star the Legion of Super-Heroes, while also laying groundwork for things to come much, much later in Superman’s story. And keep an eye out for Krypto!

“When Editor Matt Idelson asked if I would be interested and/or able to fit into my schedule two upcoming issues of Action Comics with Grant, I couldn’t say no,” said Kubert. “I don’t know of any other artist that would have. Drawing the latest incarnation of Superman and working with one of the best writers on the planet made it a very easy decision for me. And in this story, I get to do some VERY iconic stuff! I gotta admit, I’m a little nervous… Fun Fact for those keeping score: I had never drawn Superman in a comics interior for an entire issue. I had done inking over Dan Jurgens and Jerry Ordway for an issue each over their beautiful pencils way (and I mean WAY) back when but this is my first opportunity to pencil the Man of Steel interior pages for my very own!”

After Kubert’s two-issue take on ACTION COMICS, Rags Morales will return as the series’ regular artist.

Excellent! This takes away my two biggest fears of the relaunch and Supes. The Legion is still in Superman continuity and my favorite Dog of Steel exists!

Oh yeah, and Andy Kubert is cool too, I guess. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom