• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2014. Truly, there is no shame in continuing to read awful comics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Her Captain Marvel is good.
You schwayin' me brah. Shit reads like a my first analogy. Broad can't pull off that flight metaphor. Pretty Deadly reads like it was translated through four languages on Babblefish than transcribed by Ann Noccenti. She is the Great Value version of Morrison.

Let me tell you somethin' brother. As ComicsGAF as my witness, I will break her back like The Berlin Wall. Make her humble. Bring home the Eisner. Become comics superstar. Monopolize the comics industry like the goddam Walmart. Thereare defining moments in your life. I hope this one of them. We have a choice. Give our blood sweat and tears in the name of always low prices backed by ad match now introducing savings catcher beta for Walmart. Or become comics superstar and immaculately conceive by just a work of art. I will become a comics superstar. I will feel a woman's touch. Cuz watcha gonna do when Rafamania runs wild on you!

lol "HIPSTER"???

They nominated a webcomic strip in the same category as a god damn plain old comic that just happened to not get printed on paper.

THAT'S OLDER THAN A GRANDPA.

Come on, man. PUH-LEASE.

Be happy they threw few Hawkeye a few bones. It probably physically hurt them to nominate anything with a cape in it.

You schwayin' me brah. Shit reads like a my first analogy. Broad can't pull off that flight metaphor. Pretty Deadly reads like it was translated through four languages on Babblefish than transcribed by Ann Noccenti. She is the Great Value version of Morrison.

Let me tell you somethin' brother. As ComicsGAF as my witness, I will break her back like The Berlin Wall. Make her humble. Bring home the Eisner. Become comics superstar. Monopolize the comics industry like the goddam Walmart. Thereare defining moments in your life. I hope this one of them. We have a choice. Give our blood sweat and tears in the name of always low prices backed by ad match now introducing savings catcher beta for Walmart. Or become comics superstar and immaculately conceive by just a work of art. I will become a comics superstar. I will feel a woman's touch. Cuz watcha gonna do when Rafamania runs wild on you!

Shit. If your comics-superstar debut features more metaphors like that one, I'll be there for it day one.

Ain't even trolling, I'm cracking up right now.

ElNarez

Banned
Seriously, how in the fuck is Kelly Sue DeFraction nominated for best writer for Pretty Deadly and Captain Marvel? What in the fuck. Who thought this was a good idea? Wow.

What were they gonna do, nominate Gail Simone for her unforgettable work on The Movement?

(No but seriously Captain Marvel is pretty good and I like Pretty Deadly and those are good enough comics to be in the running for Eisners only to lose to Saga)

LMAO!

The thing with Lemire is, do you nominate him as just a writer or writer/artist (for Trillium)? Green Arrow + Trillium is a pretty good combo.

Did Sweet Tooth ever get nominated? I know his Superboy run got one.

I'd just go with writer. His art on Sweet Tooth was good it really showed that was pretty much the extent of his artistic abilities.

I think it at least got nominated, if not won something.

ElNarez

Banned
I think it's a pretty good selection save for some baffling choices. Like, yeah, most of the shit on that list is award-worthy, it's an awards selection. So, let's predict the big ones.

Best Single Issue (or One-Shot)
Hawkeye #11: “Pizza Is My Business,” by Matt Fraction and David Aja (Marvel)

Best Continuing Series
Saga, by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples (Image)

Best Limited Series
The Black Beetle: No Way Out, by Francesco Francavilla (Dark Horse)

Best New Series
Sex Criminals, by Matt Fraction and Chip Zdarsky (Image)

Best Writer
Matt Fraction, Sex Criminals (Image); Hawkeye, Fantastic Four, FF (Marvel)

Best Writer/Artist
Jaime Hernandez, Love and Rockets New Stories #6 (Fantagraphics)

Best Penciller/Inker or Penciller/Inker Team
Sean Murphy, The Wake (DC/Vertigo)

Best Painter/Multimedia Artist (interior art)
Fiona Staples, Saga (Image)

Best Cover Artist
Mike Del Mundo, X-Men Legacy (Marvel)

Best Coloring
Jordie Bellaire, The Manhattan Projects, Nowhere Men, Pretty Deadly, Zero (Image); The Massive (Dark Horse); Tom Strong (DC); X-Files Season 10 (IDW); Captai

You schwayin' me brah. Shit reads like a my first analogy. Broad can't pull off that flight metaphor. Pretty Deadly reads like it was translated through four languages on Babblefish than transcribed by Ann Noccenti.

Somebody get Rafa into one of Snyder's classes, dude could be writing Bluebird by Christmas.

I'd just go with writer. His art on Sweet Tooth was good it really showed that was pretty much the extent of his artistic abilities.

Yeah, I looked it up and he got a nom for Best Continuing. I figured he'd get one for Best Writer after I saw Trillium nominated.

MartyStu

Grayson? This is going to be a thing?

Hmm. Okay DC, you have my attention.

I would have been much more impressed had they just outed Batman instead.

VeeP

Yeah I'd hate to be a Tim Drake fan these last few years

It's been tough...

But on the bright side at least he still:

1.) Exist (looking at you Cass & Steph)

2.) isn't dead (RIP Damian)

3.) Isn't fighting off mystical beings because he's the chosen one (Jason, I like your glowy sword)

4.) Isn't going from super hero to some James Bond spy type shit (Grayson)

The whole bat family went to shit.

At least Tim has a big role in Batman Eternal and Futures End. The pre-New 52 red robin series was great as well.

frye

lmao @ the idea that the motherfucking eisners, an award that's basically validation for superhero readers, is "hipster"

Toa TAK

Banned

I honestly hope you do become a Comics Superstar.

Cheska

Seriously, how in the fuck is Kelly Sue DeFraction nominated for best writer for Pretty Deadly and Captain Marvel? What in the fuck. Who thought this was a good idea? Wow.

tumblr_mxh4i2zyUn1qdsm1jo1_500.gif

Vibranium

Banned
Nic Klein/Jason Latour should have been recognized for their work on Winter Soldier (not sure if it would fall into last year's Eisners or this year since the title ended in late June 2013). It pains me how many people in the industry seem to forgotten/ignored this book. Huge props for The Orbiting Pod podcast for recognizing Latour's short run on WS, as a part of their series on the modern Captain America legacy.

All I want by the end of 2014 is Nick Fury Sr. alive, Rich Rider back and Bucky with a new solo book. Anyone have blackmail material so I can make this happen?

Nic Klein/Jason Latour should have been recognized for their work on Winter Soldier (not sure if it would fall into last year's Eisners or this year since the title ended in late June 2013). It pains me how many people in the industry seem to forgotten/ignored this book. Huge props for The Orbiting Pod podcast for recognizing Latour's short run on WS, as a part of their series on the modern Captain America legacy.

All I want by the end of 2014 is Nick Fury Sr. alive, Rich Rider back and Bucky with a new solo book. Anyone have blackmail material so I can make this happen?

Amen to every line of this.

Mumei

All the comics and manga I ordered from Instocktrades are here now~

Planetary Omnibus
Absolute DC: The New Frontier
20th Century Boys (13 - 16)
Sandman (2, 6, 10 w/ Slipcase)
Blade of the Immortal (15)
Children of the Sea (1)

I'm quite happy with everything except Planetary; the binding feels overly tight and it takes awhile before it lays flat. I had read the DC Omnibus editions often have that issue so I'm not exactly surprised; just a bit irritated with it. I'm hoping that reading it might loosen it a bit, and perhaps the fact that it was sitting outside in 30 degree weather for most of the day made it a bit more stiff than it would ordinarily be. Who knows!

Oh, and The New Frontier is gorgeous and I need more Absolute editions.

DC COMICS
American Vampire Second Cycle #2 (The book I'm most excited about this week. I need the Albuquerque in my veins)
Batman #30
Batman And Wonder Woman #30
Batman Eternal #2
Harley Quinn #5
Justice League #29
Unwritten Volume 2 Apocalypse #4
Wonder Woman #30

IDW PUBLISHING
Transformers Windblade #1 (The art seems to be veery different from the other Transformers titles. I'll give it a try.)

MARVEL COMICS
Amazing X-Men #6 (I don't know if I'll stay for Kyle and Yost.)
Ms. Marvel #3
Nova #16
Superior Spider-Man #31
Thor God Of Thunder #21
Uncanny X-Men #20
Winter Soldier The Bitter March #3
Wolverine And The X-Men #3
X-Force #3

The end of Superior List
DC Comics
Batman #30
Batman Eternal #2

Marvel Comics
Amazing X-Men #6
Ms Marvel #3
Superior Spider-Man #31
Thor God of Thunder #21
Uncanny X-Men #20
Winter Soldier Bitter March #3
Wolverine #4
Wolverine and the X-Men #3
X-Force #3

Image is offering all their Eisner nominated series 50%
https://imagecomics.com/content/view/eisner-nominees-digital-sale said:
The sale begins on the Image Comics Website immediately, and on ComiXology, Google Play, Amazon, and Apple iBooks beginning 4/16 and ends at midnight EST on April 21, 2014.

For reference, those are:
EAST OF WEST
LAZARUS
THE MANHATTAN PROJECTS
OUTLAW TERRITORY
NOWHERE MEN
PRETTY DEADLY
RAT QUEENS
SAGA
SEX CRIMINALS
ZERO

So if you aren't reading Nowhere Men, Rat Queens, TMP and Zero; THIS IS YOUR CHANCE

That 4 issue run on Winter Soldier was fucking incredible. Cemented Klein as one of my favorite artists.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Daytripper Deluxe is half off at IST, try some of that Ba/Moon.

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. I've already made three $50+ orders from IST in the past three weeks... I've been waiting for Daytripper Deluxe to come out for months and I was planning to pick up Final Crisis too... But I think I'd be admitting the defeat of my frugality if I put together yet another order, and being proud of my frugality, I'm not sure I could handle that. And I just got my most recent batch of books from IST today.
Stupid comics making me want to spend money.

A little over halfway through with the first library edition of Fear Agent, this is some great stuff.

Just you wait!
It makes me happy that someone else is reading this for the first time at about the same time as me. Being a trade waiter, that's quite a treat. I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Vyer

All this praise has caused me to create a cart at IST with Fear Agent and that Daytrippers HC. I just have to pull the trigger....

Image is offering all their Eisner nominated series 50%

For reference, those are:
EAST OF WEST
LAZARUS
THE MANHATTAN PROJECTS
OUTLAW TERRITORY
NOWHERE MEN
PRETTY DEADLY
RAT QUEENS
SAGA
SEX CRIMINALS
ZERO

So if you aren't reading Nowhere Men, Rat Queens, TMP and Zero; THIS IS YOUR CHANCE

Damn that's a pretty great list.

I kind of completely forgot about Nowhere Men thanks to the delays though.

Costumes come and go. As long as the character embodies the spirit of what made them fun, that's really all that matters to me. And I thought the 3D Harley villains month book had a really great Harleen. Loved that art for her.

HOWEVER, if we're talking 70s Legion. That shit can be erased from history.

Edit: Those other comments aren't directed at you Messi. Just some scrappin' with Jedeye and Mono.

Now we have to fight. You will fight me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom