• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2015. So many variants you'd swear it's 1995 instead.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Hey remember when Deadpool was horribly disfigured?

1994-08-DP1-01.jpg

Edit: Welp that's one way to start a new page >_>

Vibranium

Banned
I don't begrudge artists doing whatever to make a little extra dough. Especially since they aren't able to juggle multiple monthly ongoings at the same time the way writers can.

Well I think its totally ok to charge for commissions, but for signatures fans should be allowed to simply tip the artist if they want.

I'd pay insane money to Ryan Ottley for a drawing. I've said it before, Marvel need to throw an offer at him, he would be a better addition than Land.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Can someone explain the weird numbering on marvel stuff sometimes? Was looking for Black Panther stuff and saw Black Panther The Man Without Fear, from 2010. But insteainstead of being #1 it's... #513 >_>

At first I thought "well maybe they resumed some old numbering" like they sometimes do (which is very confusing) but surely there haven't been over 500 black panther issues?

Edit: unless they are being cute and it's replacing Daredevil since its called the man without fear, but then I have to ask, there have been over 500 issues of Daredevil?

Bii

Can someone explain the weird numbering on marvel stuff sometimes? Was looking for Black Panther stuff and saw Black Panther The Man Without Fear, from 2010. But insteainstead of being #1 it's... #513 >_>

At first I thought "well maybe they resumed some old numbering" like they sometimes do (which is very confusing) but surely there haven't been over 500 black panther issues?

Black Panther took over and resumed the ongoing Daredevil's numbering at the time.

I wish Marvel had a comparable line of statues and figures to the stuff that DC Direct puts out. Overall, I like Marvel characters more, but DC puts out a better selection of collectibles.

I wish Marvel had a comparable line of statues and figures to the stuff that DC Direct puts out. Overall, I like Marvel characters more, but DC puts out a better selection of collectibles.

Speaking of figures. Freeza, were you the one that was talking about pre-ordering the new release of the Mignola Batman DC Direct for $50?? Is that shit still up for pre-sale cuz I definitely wanna fucking get that now.

Bii

Speaking of figures. Freeza, were you the one that was talking about pre-ordering the new release of the Mignola Batman DC Direct for $50?? Is that shit still up for pre-sale cuz I definitely wanna fucking get that now.

Ah man, you missed it. It was up on DCBS in early December for $54.

Yeah, the reissue comes out in a few months. Too late to get it on the cheap from DCBS, but TFAW is still taking orders [$63.96], as is Entertainment Earth [$79.99].

TFAW charges like, $20 shipping on statues, so you're not getting off that easy.

Read a little of Tom Strong and Swamp Thing this weekend. They were both great, I have no idea why I hadn't gotten around to reading them before.

:p

Order it from TFAW, jeez. $20 may seem like a lot, but shit. I import a lot of figures. There have been times when shipping alone was close to $100 on a monthly order.

Freeza. Please understand. I am a simple man. This figure business. I can't handle. It is much too painful. $100 ON SHIPPING........DEAR GOD how can you even idk.

Rhaknar

This Prime Elements arc on F4 is so weird, if I didn't know any better I would say it was stand alone stories. First they went to some high evolutionary city, then to Atlantis where Sue seems to be crowned, or at least worshipped as a queen, and then we go to the moon to hang out with Inhumans, meanwhile not referencing anything that just happened in the previous issues. It's...bizarre.

Hickman's writing seems very...detailed is how I would describe it. Like art can be very detailed, that's how I feel about his writing. Weird ass arc aside that is :p

Drayco21

Edit: unless they are being cute and it's replacing Daredevil since its called the man without fear, but then I have to ask, there have been over 500 issues of Daredevil?

At the time, Marvel was pushing an initiative to go back to the Volume 1 numberings for all their books, but while counting all other volumes as individual numbers, under the argument that Amazing Spider-Man #700 was more impressive/landmark, than, say, Amazing Spider-Man Volume 2 #137 or whatever it'd actually be. It's why a lot of stuff in the early 2010's has a run that starts and goes to like issue #20 or 30, and then suddenly becomes #600.

Black Panther: Man Without Fear continued on from Daredevil because it took place after Matt's apparent death at the end of Shadowland, with Panther patrolling Hell's Kitchen and serving the same role as DD did for some reason.

This Prime Elements arc on F4 is so weird, if I didn't know any better I would say it was stand alone stories. First they went to some high evolutionary city, then to Atlantis where Sue seems to be crowned, or at least worshipped as a queen, and then we go to the moon to hang out with Inhumans, meanwhile not referencing anything that just happened in the previous issues. It's...bizarre.

Hickman's writing seems very...detailed is how I would describe it. Like art can be very detailed, that's how I feel about his writing. Weird ass arc aside that is :p

Just give it time. Don't try to think of any of these as individual arcs. Go with the flow, the whole run is effectively one large arc.

Nudull

Banned
At the time, Marvel was pushing an initiative to go back to the Volume 1 numberings for all their books, but while counting all other volumes as individual numbers, under the argument that Amazing Spider-Man #700 was more impressive/landmark, than, say, Amazing Spider-Man Volume 2 #137 or whatever it'd actually be. It's why a lot of stuff in the early 2010's has a run that starts and goes to like issue #20 or 30, and then suddenly becomes #600.

Black Panther: Man Without Fear continued on from Daredevil because it took place after Matt's apparent death at the end of Shadowland, with Panther patrolling Hell's Kitchen and serving the same role as DD did for some reason.

It was during Marvel's 70th Anniversary plans, no? Makes sense, then.

Tizoc

Unsounded Ch. 9
Holy shit
This was all just to get Duane to Stockyard and be sold off and eventually make better Plods for war, etc. Effin' clever.

Rhaknar

Oh wait, I forgot future Franklin telling Val about a war between 4 races / armies, that's what all this seemingly random stories are building up to, fuck.

OK that's better now that it "clicked"

Edit: reading F4 made me want to look for the famous Valeria birth issue.

"She agreed because Susan, at least, knows that I'm a man of honor and style. I would not be so crass as to name the child "Dooma", for instance. No, she shall be called... Valeria."

"I place you under my royal protection, little Valeria. If anyone is ever foolish enough to strike at you... they will deal with me."

"Enjoy your family Richards. And remember every time you look at your wife and daughter that Doom saved them both... when, once before, you could not."

boom.gif

Why so godlike Doom, damn!

Oh wait, I forgot future Franklin telling Val about a war between 4 races / armies, that's what all this seemingly random stories are building up to, fuck.

"She agreed because Susan, at least, knows that I'm a man of honor and style. I would not be so crass as to name the child "Dooma", for instance. No, she shall be called... Valeria."

"I place you under my royal protection, little Valeria. If anyone is ever foolish enough to strike at you... they will deal with me."

"Enjoy your family Richards. And remember every time you look at your wife and daughter that Doom saved them both... when, once before, you could not."

boom.gif

Even if you don't read all of Waid's Fantastic Four run, because I know you have a backlog, you should definitely check out the "Unthinkable" arc, it's definitely the payoff for the Valeria set up.

Rhaknar

Has Valeria actually met Doom? Not as a baby I mean

Tizoc

Has Valeria actually met Doom? Not as a baby I mean

Yes, during Hickman's run.

boom.gif

As someone posted recently, read that F4 story, it'll give you a different view about Doom.

Rhaknar

And now for something different (and awful), What If Venom Possessed Deadpool... good lord :/ I did laugh at Galactus saying "I'm the baby daddy" but that's about it

And before you ask why I even read it, I like to switch it up :/

Top Bottom