• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2015. So many variants you'd swear it's 1995 instead.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
also, should I read Runaways? thats one of the ones I kept hearing about over the years and nobody recomended it yet

I haven't personally read it, but Brian K Vaughan's Runaways run is a highly recommended read.

kd-z

It's around the beginning of the film when spiderman has a cold and he goes to the convenience store like this for cough syrup

Oh, I remember now! Thanks. That's a cool action fig, definitely. Though that beanie color - you kidding me, Spidey?

Regarding Runaways - I read the Vaughan part and it was very good. Cool, realistic teenage characters. Huge props for having a girl a bit on the chubby side and having her hook up with whom she hooked up with (not gonna spoil it!). After that Joss Whedon wrote it for a bit, so it's definitely worth at least a try on MU. And there's not many issues left after that (a dozen perhaps?) so you might as well go for all of it if you're MU-ing it ;) I really should read the rest of it one of these days.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
oooh Monday is MU update day, yay exciting

edit: new Ms.Marvel, She Hulk and Silver Surfer. Good update :D

I didn't like the movie, but I really want a Spider-Man Hot Toy. But after seeing this picture, I just need to own this figure.

902189-spider-man-009.jpg

Just perfect.
Ahahahahahahaha. Would go great with J Scott Campbell Gwen....

Bii

maybe I should read Superior...

also, should I read Runaways? thats one of the ones I kept hearing about over the years and nobody recomended it yet

I would just read what Brian K Vaughan wrote and skip the rest. So read #1-18 and then read #1-24 after the numbering resets.

tim1138

HOWARD THE DUCK #2
CHIP ZDARSKY (W) • JOE QUINONES (A)
Cover by JOE QUINONES
VARIANT COVER BY CHRIS SAMNEE
“Vote Howard” Variant Cover by CHIP ZDARSKY
“Run the Jewels” Variant Cover by MAHMUD ASRAR
• Howard’s first big case has taken him across the universe and landed him in the clutches of THE COLLECTOR! • But he’s not alone as the very popular ROCKET RACOON is a prisoner as well! Have you ever seen a comic book sequel to a post-credits scene in a movie?
• Well, you will now! Join comics legend STAN LEE in reading this issue (I’m assuming he’ll read it. Hi Stan!)!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
"Wow"
"Such athletic"
"Very claws"
"So amaze"

Yeeeeeeah I think I'm done with Ms.Marvel >_>

Not really but that was...ugh

HOWARD THE DUCK #2
CHIP ZDARSKY (W) • JOE QUINONES (A)
Cover by JOE QUINONES
VARIANT COVER BY CHRIS SAMNEE
“Vote Howard” Variant Cover by CHIP ZDARSKY
“Run the Jewels” Variant Cover by MAHMUD ASRAR
• Howard’s first big case has taken him across the universe and landed him in the clutches of THE COLLECTOR! • But he’s not alone as the very popular ROCKET RACOON is a prisoner as well! Have you ever seen a comic book sequel to a post-credits scene in a movie?
• Well, you will now! Join comics legend STAN LEE in reading this issue (I’m assuming he’ll read it. Hi Stan!)!

Just saw that. Well, I can't exactly hate on that particular team-up.

Hell, I got Howard and Rocket standing next to each other front and center on my Funko Pop shelf.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
That Spidey figure is resonating with me fully right now as I've been off sick from work with the flu since Friday and feel rotten.

I ain't gonna lie, I read the pre-n52 version of Batman Inc and just did not like it. There for, I didn't even bother with the n52 versions, I knew what happened basically. My wife and I went to the shop yesterday because if we spent 45 dollars, we got a free 50 bucks (stamp card). This shop does not really have toys and statues so I was forced to get books. I wound up with The Black Casebook and Vol 1 and 2 of n52 Batman Inc. Started reading vol 1 today and I'm really enjoying it.

First off, I really like the dynamic of Batman/Robin, Bruce/Damain, father/son rather than Dick Grayson Batman and Damian. Second, because of the reboot Morrison was forced to kinda gently get the reader eased back into the world and therefore is easier to pick up and read. Love Burnhams art of course. So far, glad I bought these.

Rhaknar

Well this weekly MU update sure ended up being disapointing :(

All New doop #4 - Art remains terrible, story is complete nonsense and I dont care about any of it. Ingmar Bergman whut? At least I now know who those future people that are hanging around are (since im reading Battle of the Atom on the X books)

Ms.Marvel #6 - New artist is awful, and besides the terrible art, the new arc with Wolverine is pretty lame. And that doge meme dialogue...UGH. And this Wolverine costume is fucking terrible, he looks like Shocker

She Hulk #6 - TERRIBLE ART (notice a trend here), who the fuck drew this. At least the story with the blue file stuff continues to be interesting, but nothing much happens so meh. This art tho...

Silver Surfer #4 - This was awesome. Surfer takes Dawn back home, meets her family and has lunch, while something weird is going on in the background. And Dr.Strange and Hulk are there for whatever reason. Great dialogue, I still love Surfer, this super powerful cosmic being, interacting with the most mundane normal people. Also, when you say that Mike Allred's art was BY FAR the best art of the 4 books, thats saying something about the other books. No offense to Mike, I actually LIKE his art, but yeah, its...different to say the least.

E the Shaggy

Miles Morales is ending? Fuuuuuck. ;_;

Miles is an interesting case because the Ultimate Universe no longer "works". It just doesn't have the success it once did and aside from Ultimate Spidey, no book from it can survive.

Miles on the other hand is a success but taking him out of the Ultimate universe and putting him in the 616 effectively kills what makes him so special, being the only Spiderman. If he's just thrown into a world where there's already a handful of other Spidermen running around, then he loses something.

Owzers

Well this weekly MU update sure ended up being disapointing :(

All New doop #4 - Art remains terrible, story is complete nonsense and I dont care about any of it. Ingmar Bergman whut? At least I now know who those future people that are hanging around are (since im reading Battle of the Atom on the X books)

Ms.Marvel #6 - New artist is awful, and besides the terrible art, the new arc with Wolverine is pretty lame. And that doge meme dialogue...UGH. And this Wolverine costume is fucking terrible, he looks like Shocker

She Hulk #6 - TERRIBLE ART (notice a trend here), who the fuck drew this. At least the story with the blue file stuff continues to be interesting, but nothing much happens so meh

Silver Surfer #4 - This was awesome. Surfer takes Dawn back home, meets her family and has lunch, while something weird is going on in the background. And Dr.Strange and Hulk are there for whatever reason. Great dialogue, I still love Surfer, this super powerful cosmic being, interacting with the most mundane normal people. Also, when you say that Mike Allred's art was BY FAR the best art of the 4 books, thats saying something about the other books. No offense to Mike, I actually LIKE his art, but yeah, its...different to say the least.

Disliking 3/4 is a good start. That Ms Marvel arc helped me drop the book. All New Doop's story was a complete bore.

Rhaknar

this Secret Avengers #5 cover is fantastic, its up on MU today but I havent started SA yet. But since its only 5 issues deep (on MU at least) Ill probably just plow through those today to be up to date, especially since you guys say its good stuff

Fantastic

I agree. But then the book found its feet and it's been great since. Lovely art too.

Secret Invasion caused me to temporarily quit comics. Remender's twist that
every superteam has a HYDRA agent
could well cause me to take another break. It has the potential to be awful.

Rhaknar

I love everything about Secret Avengers (2014), im on #3 now, why didnt anyone tell me it was fantastic?

Wait you did >_> Its like Hawkguy, just in a team book.

Owzers

I love everything about Secret Avengers (2014), im on #3 now, why didnt anyone tell me it was fantastic?

Wait you did >_> Its like Hawkguy, just in a team book.

i did, i did! Superior Hawkguy. Though i also said it's gotten a bit weird and unraveled. Secret Avengers #1 was probably my favorite first issue of whatever year it came out in.

Rhaknar

and caught up with Secret Avengers (on MU, which is only up to #5). Easily one of my favorite books right now, like I said earlier, I love everything about it. Except the fact that its aparently getting canceled / ending. Fucking Marvel :(

and caught up with Secret Avengers (on MU, which is only up to #5). Easily one of my favorite books right now, like I said earlier, I love everything about it. Except the fact that its aparently getting canceled / ending. Fucking Marvel :(

Marvel cancels everything not written by Bendis.

Messi

Yep it got canned. Last issue Solicit came out today.

I'm sure if you email DCBS and ask them to put that on your order they will do it! They did that for me with the Manapul Black and White statue.

Wait seriously!? Oh man alright I'll do that. Thanks for the heads up! Hopefully it'll work ;^;

maybe I should read Superior...

Yea dude Vaughan's Runaways is pretty fucking great.

Drayco21

Oh man, these Marvel solicitations. Ultimate Marvel finally getting the boot that Cataclysm should have been, Bendis getting off Guardians Team-Up, Abnett getting to write the 616 Guardians again in 3000, Lemire's Hawkeye and Hawkeye, Doc Green vs. Red Hulk, Weisman getting a new Star Wars ongoing, dat Hickvengers pay off... comic books are awesome.

tim1138

Here's some Convergence stuff Rich stole from elsewhere so I'm just gonna post it all in full and save y'all a click.

In a Previews interview with Dan Jurgens and Jeff King, we learned a few things…

Firstly, there’s a mix of Alan Moore‘s Supremacy and Grant Morrison‘s Batman, with a multi-dimensional Brainiac preserving continuity before they are retconned away. Everything happened.

That Brainiac has a “collection of more than 40 doomed “worlds” from across 75 years of the DCU” which he pits against the other.”Convergence shows you where those heroes went, what they have been up to since Brainiac bottled them and whether they will ever return from “where world’s go when they die.””

Oh and as to the worlds, “they are domed (versus bottled).”

That those who want to prep should pick up:

DC Universe Presents: Challengers Of The Unknown #7
Superman: Doomed #2
Futures End #1
Futures End Booster Gold #1
Justice League International Annual #1
Futures End #22
Action Comics #35
Zero Hour
Red Son
Kingdom Come
Flashpoint
And Jurgens promises “There will be consequences to this story– very real aspects that will stick in the DCU. The ramifications will be quite tangible… There’s a particular double page spread — or should I say, series of double page spreads — that make quite a statement.”

Top Bottom