• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2015. So many variants you'd swear it's 1995 instead.

Drayco21

This wont be the end of Miles. Not a chance. It also says 'is this the end?'

Of course not, The Bendis is going to protect him; he's just going to move over to the mainstream universe when his own world ends. Wouldn't be surprised if he takes Ganke and Jess with him too.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
when people talk about Miles, do you just mean Ultimate Spider-Man or is he in the 616 now?

Drayco21

when people talk about Miles, do you just mean Ultimate Spider-Man or is he in the 616 now?

Miles only exists in the Ultimate universe. At the end of Spider-Men,
616 Pete googles Miles name in 616 and is legit shook by what he finds, but we don't see it, and Bendis hasn't been allowed to do his sequel to the book yet to reveal it because of Slott's wild ride.
. I guess Spider-Verse shenanigans have him jumping across the multiverse with Ultimate Cartoon Spider-Man and a bunch of other wacky Spiders, but he's still living in Ultimate.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
is Banshee still around in any book or is he one of those 90s characters forever forgotten?

Here's some Convergence stuff Rich stole from elsewhere so I'm just gonna post it all in full and save y'all a click.

The more I read of this, the more I'm getting excited for it. Hopefully it is not a throw away event and actually affects things in the DCU going forward.

Rhaknar

I read Guardians of the Galaxy #1 btw (the Bendis one)... its not very good is it? :/ it just seemed completely bland, and then they throw in Iron Man for no fucking reason. And aparently Agent Venom is up there now too, acording to the Silver Surver issue I read earlier

Cable & The X-Force #1 wasnt very memorable either, but it has Dr.Nemesis and that is all that matters. Dr. Nemesis should be on Secret Avengers hanging out with M.O.D.O.K. doing SCIENCE

Zombine

Banned
What if we find out that Miles Morales' super power isn't being a human spider? What if his true power is to inspire the 616 to be the best heroes they can be, and his death is used as a jumping point for the beginning of the new Marvel U? Imagine a world where Scott Summers stops being a bitch? Imagine a world where Beast stops fucking around with time and Peter finally realizes he has this mini freak who is always DTF and would probably do crazy cartwheels on his dick and shit and he gets with her? Imagine the death of Miles even transcending the pages itself, making Axel shed one single tear for all the amazing books that were egregiously canceled for more MCU inspired crap? Thus starting a digital only line for creators to have an outlet to tell stories about all these wonderful D list teams and characters? All because we finally let Miles go. Let Miles die for Marvel's sins so we can have a better tomorrow.

Drayco21

What if we find out that Miles Morales' super power isn't being a human spider? What if his true power is to inspire the 616 to be the best heroes they can be, and his death is used as a jumping point for the beginning of the new Marvel U? Imagine a world where Scott Summers stops being a bitch? Imagine a world where Beast stops fucking around with time and Peter finally realizes he has this mini freak who is always DTF and would probably do crazy cartwheels on his dick and shit and he gets with her? Imagine the death of Miles even transcending the pages itself, making Axel shed one single tear for all the amazing books that were egregiously canceled for more MCU inspired crap? Thus starting a digital only line for creators to have an outlet to tell stories about all these wonderful D list teams and characters? All because we finally let Miles go. Let Miles die for Marvel's sins so we can have a better tomorrow.

Are you telling me that sacrificing Miles will give Kaine and the New Warriors a book again?

Bye bye, Morales!

Rhaknar

tumblr_nifuh0AJmH1qb0ppao1_1280.jpg

aaaaaaaaaaaand thats my new phone wallpaper

Rhaknar

Im looking at the Marvel april solicits...why is Powers stuff there? I thought that was a Image joint? did Marvel buy Powers?

is it on MU if so? :eek:

edit: nope, not on MU

arkon

*opens ComicGAF-enemies-list spreadsheet*

I gave it 6 issues. More than a fair chance. I've also not written it off completely but I'm not paying full price for single issues any more. I'm determined to whittle down the pull list to must-reads only. Everything else is gonna be trade-wait or digital sales.

I blame myself for letting my backlog spiral out of control as well.

kd-z

Long and badly written post coming in 3!

2!

1!

Here it goes!

Okay, I may not have been reading a lot of comics these past six months, but I did read Morrison's "Supergods" during the Christmas/New Years break and have some thoughts on it.

First of all: it really is not a very good chronicle of the superhero genre from the point of view of pure facts. Trying to fit one in 400 pages would be an impossible task, obviously, but Morrison still does a lot of time jumps five years ahead an back and straight up doesn't mention stuff like Kirby moving from Marvel to DC. He discusses his Marvel work and then discusses his DC work, but doesn't mention how that happened at all.

So "Supergods" is definitely not a very good read for someone not acquainted with the genre's history and big players. But nobody buys a Morrison book just for the facts they can find on Wikipedia, right?

Right. Everything else is just great. What Moz does is he mixes in his theories on storytelling, stories, art and the human nature, while also adding a ton of biographical stuff and spending a lot of words discussing some major comics from a creative perspective. He shows how comics reflected the real-world situations during which they were made.

His chapter on Kirby, for example, is just fantastic. He talks about the dialogue, the imagination, the ambition and manages to tell it all in such a way that it's quite emotional. He obviously feels deeply about this, too.

And what I also loved was how he explained all the crazy things that happened to him in his life/he dreamt up while high (depending on what you want to believe) in such a way that even the most sceptical person can take a valuable life lesson from, say, his encounter with the blobs from the 5th dimension. What I found really memorable was his proposition to treat seemingly random encounters and happenings in life as shamanistic momenst and to try and find meaning and inspiration in them.

All in all, holy shit what a book! I loved it quite a lot. Definitely one of my favourites and one to which I'll no doubt return in the future.

Anyone here read it (I guess quite a few people probably!)? What did you guys think?

---

A thing that came to my mind recently was just how much of a perfect time I started reading comics. I was 19 when I did it, I'm 21 as of yesterday and there's more and more books that are coming out that feel like they were made specifically for me, a person who has one leg into the life of an adult, but also is still very much a teenager. Also, a nerd, introvert (though in a positive way, I'd say) and lazy.

Like, one of the first things I read was Hawkguy. Sure, the character is in his early thirties, but he doesn't feel like it. He's a bit of a slacker, a guy who just tries to deal with the drama life throws at him while wearing t-shirts and sneakers, quoting Blade Runner and making jokes about rock music. Saga is a fantastical tale about a young family and love and sex. Sex Criminals - though its characters' sexual experiences are quite different to mine - speaks to me on a very deep level. It is, essentially, a comic about learning about your own body, coming to terms with your quirks, looking for people like you and dealing with all the weird shit that happens in your head and in your life. Young Avengers is about... well, I don't really know, but it sure is a hell of a coming of age story I guess. And we laer got Superior Foes, the new Batgirl run, Ms Marvel (holy crap I have to read that!), Ant-Man, The Wicked + The Divine and so on. I feel the obligation to read all of this stuff because it feels like it was created just for me, to help me deal with life and maybe spend an hour or two in another person's shoes and have some fun.

What I guess I'm trying to say is that I finally sat down to read Sex Criminals volume 1 and it was terrific and got me into a mood to think about this sort of stuff.

tl;dr comix = life, <3

Cade

I wanna read Supergods. I'll do it sometime this year, but I've got a lot on my plate reading-wise and I'm not sure where to slot it in. Thanks for the write-up!

Rhaknar

was the previous secret avengers run anything like the current one? I assume...not >_>

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Wait, so Secret Avengers is super good? I get all the Avengers titles mixed up and can't keep track of which ones should go on my to-read list. I didn't realize Secret Avengers was one of the ones I ought to read. It's the one that's tonally similar to Hawkeye, right? Worth picking up when it's released in an OHC?

Well this weekly MU update sure ended up being disapointing :(

I... I'm pretty sure we have different tastes in comics art.

Okay, I may not have been reading a lot of comics these past six months, but I did read Morrison's "Supergods" during the Christmas/New Years break and have some thoughts on it.

Nice review/paragraph about why comics are great!
You reminded me that I really, really need to read Supergods.

Messi

Wait, so Secret Avengers is super good? I get all the Avengers titles mixed up and can't keep track of which ones should go on my to-read list. I didn't realize Secret Avengers was one of the ones I ought to read. It's the one that's tonally similar to Hawkeye, right? Worth picking up when it's released in an OHC

I highly doubt it will get a hardcover.

Rhaknar

Wait, so Secret Avengers is super good? I get all the Avengers titles mixed up and can't keep track of which ones should go on my to-read list. I didn't realize Secret Avengers was one of the ones I ought to read. It's the one that's tonally similar to Hawkeye, right? Worth picking up when it's released in an OHC?

pretty much feels like Hawkguy but in a team book from the 5 issues I read on MU, I loved it.

And different tastes is a-ok. I have no problem admiting I prefer more cartoony style art, your joe mads / chris bachalos etc. But I love the art in Hawkguy or Secret Avengers for example, and that isnt cartoony so /shrug)

still the GOAT for me... sorry?

Well this weekly MU update sure ended up being disapointing :(

All New doop #4 - Art remains terrible, story is complete nonsense and I dont care about any of it. Ingmar Bergman whut? At least I now know who those future people that are hanging around are (since im reading Battle of the Atom on the X books)

Looks like Rhaknar has finally found an X-title he dislikes. Bout freaking time.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Yeah, Secret Avengers is legit great. You should definitely pick it up, I really enjoy it. Such a fun book.

I hope you're not talking about the awful She-Hulk art there. The Doop book I thought was pretty good though.

Rhaknar

Looks like Rhaknar has finally found an X-title he dislikes. Bout freaking time.

I hated the 100th anniversary uncanny x-men...thing. And I hated some deadpool stuff, do those count? what if venom possessed deadpool was abysmal

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I highly doubt it will get a hardcover.

Pfft. That's what everybody said about the second Hawkeye OHC. I held out hope. I was right.
I will hold out hope for a Secret Avengers omnibus OHC.

pretty much feels like Hawkguy but in a team book from the 5 issues I read on MU, I loved it.

And different tastes is a-ok. I have no problem admiting I prefer more cartoony style art, your joe mads / chris bachalos etc. But I love the art in Hawkguy or Secret Avengers for example, and that isnt cartoony so /shrug)

Cool! Sounds like something I'd really enjoy.

And yeah, I definitely see why you and others dislike that art. I just have a thing for the more atypical art like that. Haha

Yeah, Secret Avengers is legit great. You should definitely pick it up, I really enjoy it. Such a fun book.

I hope you're not talking about the awful She-Hulk art there. The Doop book I thought was pretty good though.

Awesome. Thanks for the opinion! I'll definitely pick it up if the OHC is released. And I'll think about getting the trades even if it isn't.

And you bet I'm talking about the She-Hulk art. Ron Wimberley is my main man and I'm not ashamed to say it. Filthy Slug will back me up. :p

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I think that stuff like Superior Foes or Secret Avenger will see a OHC release. They are booth acclaimed books. Maybe im Q4., at least in 2016.

Pfft. That's what everybody said about the second Hawkeye OHC. I held out hope. I was right.
I will hold out hope for a Secret Avengers omnibus OHC.

Getting that second OHC requires the last two issues of Hawkeye to come out. I'm right there hoping with you Kipp, I have the first one already and I don't want to spring for the omni. It would be my fourth time buying the first couple of issues (I bought them digitally, then I bought the TPB and gave that away when the OHC was announced).

I'd buy a Secret Avengers Complete Collection. Superior Foes too. They don't use that format enough, it's just right for me. They did announce a Secret Warriors CC, definitely getting that.

Rhaknar

I should post my queue, or Library as its called, on MU right now. So you can laugh at how big it is, considering its just 1 issue of each series in there

Also there would be a lot of "why Rhaknar...why" posts at some of the stuff there :p

Top Bottom