• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2015. So many variants you'd swear it's 1995 instead.

Tizoc

What is the DC Series "Solo" about?

Basically a collection of short stories by various artists and writers. I'm planning on getting it for my birthday, as I heard a lot about it from a form I used to frequent and the recent HC has interested me for some time now.
I only saw some snippets of it but it has stories written and drawn by Alred featuring Hourman and a Teen Titans and Doom Patrol crossover story.

Messi

Bro. I'm all about that kind of smut. I've been thinking of getting it. I'm just not much of a trade / hardcover guy so I have to work myself up to it. 95% of mine are Legion and I have to work myself up to even get those. It's just a quirk.

Get it digitally. It looks fantastic on Comixology.

If only Sunstone had foobies. Still time for that though..

Lolllll he does draw his faces similarly like Terry Dodson has his interchangeable heads.

I can see that.

I don't even mean it as a slight. The first mini arc has Lisa? Getting ready to go meet the other girl and it's interspersed with the red haired guy. Made it seem like a TG Lesbian Dominatrix
smut
story as opposed to just a Lesbian Dominatrix
smut
story.

I'll probably end up getting it. I think it's the better example of his art style and I'd like to support him.

Edit: I read that last link you posted awhile back, Messi. I was totally rooting for the red haired girl to freak out cause that's how those things happen.

Messi

I don't even mean it as a slight. The first mini arc has Lisa? Getting ready to go meet the other girl and it's interspersed with the red haired guy. Made it seem like a TG Lesbian Dominatrix
smut
story as opposed to just a Lesbian Dominatrix
smut
story.

I'll probably end up getting it. I think it's the better example of his art style and I'd like to support him.

Edit: I read that last link you posted awhile back, Messi. I was totally rooting for the red haired girl to freak out cause that's how those things happen.

Which link was that? The last strip? Yeah I knew it was coming because that's how petty arguments get sometimes. You say the most hurtful shit when you get wound up.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Basically a collection of short stories by various artists and writers. I'm planning on getting it for my birthday, as I heard a lot about it from a form I used to frequent and the recent HC has interested me for some time now.
I only saw some snippets of it but it has stories written and drawn by Alred featuring Hourman and a Teen Titans and Doom Patrol crossover story.

Sounds interesting, I will consider buying it, too^^

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Here Comes Tomorow first part is great (im a sucker for alternate universes / futures) but is it a typo that its 150 years alter? shouldnt it be 15 years later or something? Beak is around, the 3 in 1 cuckoos are around, Beast (assuming thats the same Beast) is the bad guy, Wolverine is around...well, ok Wolverine is borderline immortal with his healing factor, but still!

Guess I should continue reading and hope its explained

Tizoc

^EDIT:
It's an alt. possible future wherein Cyke decides to quit the X-Men and things go to hell
I think...

ok, Planet X was great until the end where in my opinion it went out like a fart in the wind

- I loved how nobody gave a fuck about Magneto, about his ideals or his new world order. In the end he was just a junkie killing children

- I liked how it tied all the stories together, from Esme being a little bitch, the Kick drug, Xorn, all the stuff that Morrison wrote on his run since the start

- but the ending, like I said, was awful in my opinion. Magneto touches Jean and she just dies...like that? what?

- Wolverine aparently cuts his head off, which as we all know didnt last. Cant wait to see how they explain how he comes back from that >_>

I assume that Astonishing X-Men, whenever it starts, continues from New X-Men, since its basically the same team
fyi THat Marvel went to lengths to retcon Magneto's actions in the final story arc;
Instead of Mangeto being an old stubborn drug addict asshole, Xorn went insane from using the Kick drug and his powers grew stronger to the point HE THOUGHT he was Mangeto, and did everything you read.

I also want to recommend reading these interviews with Morrison about his run on X-Men as they greatly help in understanding some of the stuff and themes he used in it
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=2707
http://www.popimage.com/content/grant20044.html

Either take a break or jump right into Whedon's Astonishing run. I would like to point that during the events of Morrison's X-Men run, Colossus was MIA/KIA.

Here Comes Tomorow first part is great (im a sucker for alternate universes / futures) but is it a typo that its 150 years alter? shouldnt it be 15 years later or something? Beak is around, the 3 in 1 cuckoos are around, Beast (assuming thats the same Beast) is the bad guy, Wolverine is around...well, ok Wolverine is borderline immortal with his healing factor, but still!

Guess I should continue reading and hope its explained

its Beak's grandson, Beast has all sorts of Apocalyptic life-extending injections that keep him going, and the Cuckoos are not what you think.

And Wolverine has been around forever

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
^EDIT:
It's an alt. possible future wherein Cyke decides to quit the X-Men and things go to hell
I think...

fyi THat Marvel went to lengths to retcon Magneto's actions in the final story arc;
Instead of Mangeto being an old stubborn drug addict asshole, Xorn went insane from using the Kick drug and his powers grew stronger to the point HE THOUGHT he was Mangeto, and did everything you read.

I also want to recommend reading these interviews with Morrison about his run on X-Men as they greatly help in understanding some of the stuff and themes he used in it
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=2707
http://www.popimage.com/content/grant20044.html

Either take a break or jump right into Whedon's Astonishing run. I would like to point that during the events of Morrison's X-Men run, Colossus was MIA/KIA.

wait wait...what? they retconned so that WASNT Magneto, and Xorn was actually a real new mutant that just thought he was Magneto?

...why...why? o_O actually I know why, since I know Mags is a x-men these days, I guess they didnt want a good guy having done all that shit (except of course Mags has a long history of being evil, not just that story)

edit: oh just realized that Here Comes Tomorow is Morrison's last arc on the book...well shit :(

its Beak's grandson, Beast has all sorts of Apocalyptic life-extending injections that keep him going, and the Cuckoos are not what you think.

And Wolverine has been around forever

cool so it is explained, thats all I ask for :D

I dig this Phoenix look from Here Comes Tomorrow

hct.png

Just read all of Batman Dark Victory. Between Long Halloween and Dark Victory, Loeb/Sale are now considered legends in my mind. If you think about it, that was a 25 issue story arc and from start to finish, was masterful.

I love Loebs take on the Bruce/Selina, Batman/Catwoman relationship. Love how interwoven he made all the crime families. First time in a Batman book where they all had their separate personalities. Loved the portrayal of the up and coming "freaks".

If you can't tell, really loved this book.

Just read all of Batman Dark Victory. Between Long Halloween and Dark Victory, Loeb/Sale are now considered legends in my mind. If you think about it, that was a 25 issue story arc and from start to finish, was masterful.

I love Loebs take on the Bruce/Selina, Batman/Catwoman relationship. Love how interwoven he made all the crime families. First time in a Batman book where they all had their separate personalities. Loved the portrayal of the up and coming "freaks".

If you can't tell, really loved this book.

Read When In Rome next

Tizoc

wait wait...what? they retconned so that WASNT Magneto, and Xorn was actually a real new mutant that just thought he was Magneto?

...why...why? o_O

The series was running during the time the Fox X-men movie(s) were released which were quite popular; you wrote Magneto was a 'junkie, killing children', which is correct and Morrison wrote him that way to differentiate from how he was depicted for decades. Alas the fanbase, if not Marvel higher ups also, didn't like that, so they made it to be Xorn :p

It is? Goodbye $62.50.

I've been waiting so long for Absolute Batman Inc.

It's gonna be my first Absolute so I'm pretty excited. I held off on buying trades and hardcovers for Batman Inc since I knew this was coming so I'll be happy to finally have the whole run.

I did think about buying Absolute Batman & Robin at one point, since it's one of my favorite series, but my hardcovers are fine. The one thing that drives me nuts is how the fourth volume (the one that Morrison didn't write) is smaller vertically than the others, gah. I'm not normally one to get annoyed about that but it's really noticeable...

Agreed, bit longer than three months for me though. Every plot is the "team" or characters getting flung somewhere. It's pathetic. There is no team aspect or missions or purpose. They literally just get flung places and try to figure out how to get back. Brahs don't know how to write Magic.....

That has literally been the pattern for months, team goes to weird magic place, OMG stuff, team is sent to weird magic place, OMG Stuff, etc etc.

It's like they suddenly have no idea what to do with the characters and are just sending them into an endless loop of nothing.

Its so disappointing.

I'm tempted by Absolute Batman Inc because Chris Burnham redraws all the fill-in pages that cropped up in the second volume. That's 22 pages by my last count, so basically a whole new issue worth of Burnham/Fairbairn, heh.

Tizoc

I'm tempted by Absolute Batman Inc because Chris Burnham redraws all the fill-in pages that cropped up in the second volume. That's 22 pages by my last count, so basically a whole new issue worth of Burnham/Fairbairn, heh.

Is there a preview of these pages?

Rhaknar

and done with New X-Men. Last 2 issues were non-morrison and pretty whatever, just a conclusion to the whole thing and Emma wanting to continue the school. I see on MU that there is another New X-Men series ater this but it seems totally unrelated, I believe this run was rebooted as Astonishing X-Men is that correct? Just need to know what to read next :)

Actually MU lists the dates, its easy to find. I believe Uncanny #381 is a good jumping on point, its after the whole The Twelve thing and Cyclop pocessed by Apocalypse which was mentioned in New X-Men, and I remember still reading that way back then.

edit: so has Jean been dead since New X-Men? because that would make her dead for 10 years now, which would show amazing restraint on Marvel's part to bring her back

MG310

...why...why? o_O actually I know why, since I know Mags is a x-men these days, I guess they didnt want a good guy having done all that shit (except of course Mags has a long history of being evil, not just that story)

edit: oh just realized that Here Comes Tomorow is Morrison's last arc on the book...well shit :(

This is a big part of the whole thing with continuity not mattering so much with me. I loved the end of that Morrison run but I want to say they didn't even wait a month before the Xorn wasn't Magneto reveal.

I'm sure I was rightfully pissed about it in the moment but in the long term it doesn't take away from how great Morrison's story was. Though it is funny that real Magneto ended up using MGH anyway in his current solo book.

Also Jean has popped up in the Phoenix Endsong and Warsong stories. They're not great but IIRC that's where we get the reveal about the Cuckoos' origin.

GAMEPROFF

Banned

The editors doesnt wanted Magneto to be a drug dealing Holocaust survivor.

Cheska

My god, January is going to be expensive :/ Wonder Woman statue by Cliff Chang, Jubilee kotobukiya figure, Wonder Woman Art Fx, Wonder Woman Premium Format last payment, and IST orders ;_;

and done with New X-Men. Last 2 issues were non-morrison and pretty whatever, just a conclusion to the whole thing and Emma wanting to continue the school. I see on MU that there is another New X-Men series ater this but it seems totally unrelated, I believe this run was rebooted as Astonishing X-Men is that correct? Just need to know what to read next :)

Actually MU lists the dates, its easy to find. I believe Uncanny #381 is a good jumping on point, its after the whole The Twelve thing and Cyclop pocessed by Apocalypse which was mentioned in New X-Men, and I remember still reading that way back then.

edit: so has Jean been dead since New X-Men? because that would make her dead for 10 years now, which would show amazing restraint on Marvel's part to bring her back

Astonishing X-Men is next

and yes, Jean has been dead for quite awhile now. They teased Jean fans with Hope Summers for awhile, but that was a giant red herring. They got Young Jean now, so there's that.

Here Comes Tomorrow was so awesome. The revelations with Ernst, No-Girl, Beak's grandson, Fantomex, the Cuckoos being
Weapon XIV
, The Beast reveal. So many great moments that tied the series up well.

Messi

Astonishing X-Men is next

and yes, Jean has been dead for quite awhile now. They teased Jean fans with Hope Summers for awhile, but that was a giant red herring. They got Young Jean now, so there's that.

Young Jean is awesome. I hope she never goes away.

Rhaknar

hmmm just read a couple of uncanny x-men issues from around the same time as new x-men, more or less. issues 381 and 382, team consisting of Jean, Storm, Gambit, Cable and Beast. I remember this from back then when I was still reading /collecting, I specifically remember these new costumes and how I liked them, im a big fan of costume changes, keeps things fresh...

50040-3092-65152-1-uncanny-x-men-the.jpg

...im bringing this up because, this writing is all sorts of terrible :/ Especially compared to New X-Men. Its written by claremont, who himself is a x-men legend, but its so...old fashioned.

Shit like Gambit saying "I threw my kinetic cards but they had no effect!" or Storm saying "No she deflected my lightning bolt!"...

...did she Storm? did she really? I just saw that happen in the drawning, and dont need you to fucking spell it out for me Claremont >_<

I skimmed a few covers on MU and I actually read most of this, theres a issue ahead with Colossus dying to cure the legeacy virus, and I remember reading that. (probably was one of the last things I read back then)

So yeah, not sure what to do. I might just ignore all this and just jump ahead to Astonishing, I hear that it has some good stuff during that (thats when the Danger arc happens for example correct?)

Any Uncanny X-Men arcs you guys feel I should look for specifically from around the New X-Men era? Something important to know, or just a good story?

edit: the reason I even went to look for Uncanny from that time is because at the very end of New X-Men, there is a small Cyclops line about the mansion, and how the kids are in danger and Juggernaut says "let them come", and I thought "oh yeah Juggernaut was in the X-Men for awhile, I always wanted to read that" and I assume that was happening in Uncanny at the same time

Since I received Fear Agent Library Vol 2 for Christmas, I blazed through the first volume again to get back up to speed with what happens. I definitely feel like the

time travel stuff
kind of screws up the pacing in the first volume. It makes it seem like there may be no actual consequences to what happens since it's unclear how everything that happens ties into the
time travel/clone plot

I'm into the second volume now and it seems like it is coming back into focus, but damn, bad things keep happening to Huston.

Tizoc

hmmm just read a couple of uncanny x-men issues from around the same time as new x-men, more or less. issues 381 and 382, team consisting of Jean, Storm, Gambit, Cable and Beast. I remember this from back then when I was still reading /collecting, I specifically remember these new costumes and how I liked them, im a big fan of costume changes, keeps things fresh...

50040-3092-65152-1-uncanny-x-men-the.jpg

...im bringing this up because, this writing is all sorts of terrible :/ Especially compared to New X-Men. Its written by claremont, who himself is a x-men legend, but its so...old fashioned.

Shit like Gambit saying "I threw my kinetic cards but they had no effect!" or Storm saying "No she deflected my lightning bolt!"...

...did she Storm? did she really? I just saw that happen in the drawning, and dont need you to fucking spell it out for me Claremont >_<

I skimmed a few covers on MU and I actually read most of this, theres a issue ahead with Colossus dying to cure the legeacy virus, and I remember reading that. (probably was one of the last things I read back then)

So yeah, not sure what to do. I might just ignore all this and just jump ahead to Astonishing, I hear that it has some good stuff during that (thats when the Danger arc happens for example correct?)

Any Uncanny X-Men arcs you guys feel I should look for specifically from around the New X-Men era? Something important to know, or just a good story?

edit: the reason I even went to look for Uncanny from that time is because at the very end of New X-Men, there is a small Cyclops line about the mansion, and how the kids are in danger and Juggernaut says "let them come", and I thought "oh yeah Juggernaut was in the X-Men for awhile, I always wanted to read that" and I assume that was happening in Uncanny at the same time

Claremont's writing style is...outdated, while I can't comment on his old work, as I have yet to read it, I can safely say that Claremont is like it or hate it; whenever I look at pages of the 80s X-men run I see bubbles and bubbles of text, holy shit @_@
Dialog between characters is gonna take a lot to get me interested to keep on reading a comic, but that's just me.

Dude, def. check out Mark Waid's Fantastic Four run; it ties with Hickman's as the #1 best F4 run of all time.

you can safely go the rest of your life not reading any of Claremont post-1991 X-Men work

Ignore all of it and go straight to Astonishing X-Men

Tizoc

you can safely go the rest of your life not reading any of Claremont post-1991 X-Men work

Speaking of 90s X-men, does Age of Apocalypse still hold up? Last I heard it did, but I was never in the mood for it.

Drayco21

Jean Grey is to death and returns what Hank Pym is to wife-beating; despite being what they're best remembered for in the general public, it's really barely a footnote in their careers.

They have skirted around Jean being dead with plenty of clones, suspiciously similar substitutes and a time-displaced teenage Jean. It's cool that such a major character has actually been dead for so long though.

frye

hct.png

Yeah, Here Comes Tomorrow was the last arc since Moz was on the outs with Bill Jemas at the time and is just kind of thrown out there. As a story I remember not liking it but as a message to Marvel/ future X writers it's pretty cool.

are there any plans for just a complete batman grant morrison omnibus to come out?

its well over 70 issues crossing various titles(Batman, Batman and Robin, Batman Inc), so probably not, lol

Its all collected in oversized Deluxed/Absolute editions now tho

and it looks great digitally brehssssssss

i'd even take it in pieces. like this absolute batman inc sounds all good, but they should release absolute batman and absolute batman and robin too. and absolute cranberry flavored batman

Cheska

its well over 70 issues crossing various titles(Batman, Batman and Robin, Batman Inc), so probably not, lol

Its all collected in oversized Deluxed/Absolute editions now tho

and it looks great digitally brehssssssss

It would have been nice if they had collected all of it in omnibi or absolute form, rather than just Batman & Robin and Batman Inc. I mean, I have the hardcovers and trades for everything separately except Batman Inc (which I waited on because of the Absolute), but it's just so much easier to read in one format.

Vyer

LIST! LIST! LIST!

Wonder Woman Art of War statue by Cliff Chiang

Deadly Class #10

Elephantmen #61
Trees #8
Ant-Man #1
Miracleman #14
Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #1

How is Trees turning out? After 2 issues I decided to trade wait if it went well.

Rhaknar

I believe this is what Ill do, for now at least. I added Uncanny X-Men #1 from 2013 to the library, havent read it yet.

As for old stuff, Ill stick with Astonishing as you say. One question tho. Eventually with events they will start pulling in other books tho, I assume?

House of M, Messiah Complex, etc. All I know of these are the names, but I assume as old events (AoA, Onslaught, etc) they spanned every X book and not just one particular

edit: forgot to mention, added Moon Knight 2014 to the library to check it out, surprised nobody mentioned it in sugestions, I remember you guys talking about it months ago when I was lurking the thread

edit: reading Astonishing #1 now. Kitty is in it? I am very, VERY ok with that

editedit: LOL at Cyclops and Emma waking up to Logan at the foot of the bed, not unlike a dog be, saying "So what stage of grief is this?"

tumblr_m2qjbjeUl11qe2c25.gif

edit3!: really liked Astonishing #1, loved everything about it. Great writting, like the premise, love the art. I only dislike one thing:

thats some bad costumes o_O Also again with the small cast, I'm used to my X-Men teams to be big damn it :(

frye

It would have been nice if they had collected all of it in omnibi or absolute form, rather than just Batman & Robin and Batman Inc. I mean, I have the hardcovers and trades for everything separately except Batman Inc (which I waited on because of the Absolute), but it's just so much easier to read in one format.

Yeah, they really should have gotten David Uzumeri or someone to write them up the correct reading order (because I doubt even Morrison knows 100% at this point) and just printed that in a consistent format.

With Johns Green Lantern it looks like they're finally doing right with the omnibuses after publishing Absolute GL:Rebirth/Sinestro Corp War/ Blackest Night with nothing in between but it really doesn't feel like the Morrison stuff will ever be presented in a manner that won't be totally frustrating for new readers.

yeah i figured after the post about batman after me. cool, with 2 out of the way i imagine they'll make an effort soon enough to collect batman as well then. once that releases i'm probably just going to buy all of them at once.

...if i haven't caved to digital before that.

Zombine

Banned
I figure that the smaller the cast of X-Men, the better the chance a writer has to do some really compelling character driven issues. I would say that the current Uncanny X-Men strikes the perfect balance of teammates, and X-Men should have been great, but of course Wood's idea of a strong woman is some corny ass dialogue and some boring subplot about Jub's or some shit.

Rhaknar

sorry for spamming the thread recently btw, just...its exciting to be reading stuff again after like 13 or 14 years away :/

I believe this is what Ill do, for now at least. I added Uncanny X-Men #1 from 2013 to the library, havent read it yet.

As for old stuff, Ill stick with Astonishing as you say. One question tho. Eventually with events they will start pulling in other books tho, I assume?

House of M, Messiah Complex, etc. All I know of these are the names, but I assume as old events (AoA, Onslaught, etc) they spanned every X book and not just one particular

The funny thing about Astonishing X-Men was that it was delayed so often, that it pretty much didn't have time to reconfigure itself or play into any of the larger events. This is to your favor tho, since you basically get one distinct creative vision over the 25 issues without having to check with House of M or whatever.

Also, its a REALLY decompressed comic, especially the middle two arcs, but its a brisk read in trade, with a peppy script and snazzy art, and you're a fast reader so you won't mind too much I imagine.

I'm also of the opinion that a smaller cast of characters is for the best. Look at something like Fraction's X-Men, where most of them are all background wallpaper, with Scott and Emma getting all the screen time.

I usually buy my books physically but god damn after moving last year and having to pack all of my books I don't blame anyone who goes fully digital for comics.

Top Bottom