• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2015. So many variants you'd swear it's 1995 instead.

Remember alpha

His name is Andrew mcguire(seriously)

alpha00.jpg

I had a friend who really liked Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane. I think I'll read it on MU someday. I've been reading some of the current Deadpool run. It's really good stuff. I know its been hyped a bit here but I was still surprised at the quality. The first arc was definitely the weakest but this is pretty much what I would want out of a Deadpool comic.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Read a few Deadpool team ups tonight. I liked the one with the Watcher, but the Galactus and the Hercules ones were lame. I had hopes for the Hercules one too :/ love the art on the Watcher one tho

Also I'm not sure I like this "voices in my head" new Deadpool. That's how he was in the game but I didn't know that's how he was in the comics too these days, I thought it was just a game thing.

Oh and I read Deadpool vs Carnage which was completely forgetable, so much so I read it days ago and just remembered. Sure was gory tho.

SArcher

Banned
So I'm looking at December sales and I'm saddened that Guardians 3000 is already down to 25K (from an initial 58K). It's the better Guardians book, dammit.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Read a few Deadpool team ups tonight. I liked the one with the Watcher, but the Galactus and the Hercules ones were lame. I had hopes for the Hercules one too :/

Also I'm not sure I like this "voices in my head" new Deadpool. That's how he was in the game but I didn't know that's how he was in the comics too these days, I thought it was just a game thing.

Oh and I read Deadpool vs Carnage which was completely forgetable, so much so I read it days ago and just remembered. Sure was gory tho.

That was during Daniel Way's run, other than a few arcs in the beginning you can skip it. You gotta read the new stuff man, you'll die laughing then the tears will start.

PsychBat!

Banned
Read a few Deadpool team ups tonight. I liked the one with the Watcher, but the Galactus and the Hercules ones were lame. I had hopes for the Hercules one too :/

The voices in his head schtick was dropped some time ago before the new Marvel NOW! Deadpool run started. I'm not sure how really.

Deadpool vs. Carnage was really fun, Deadpool really affected Carnage in a way I've never seen him act before. That was just crazy. It wasn't a good book I admit, I just chalk it up to okay.

Drayco21

So I'm looking at December sales and I'm saddened that Guardians 3000 is already down to 25K (from an initial 58K). It's the better Guardians book, dammit.

Paying attention to how things are selling in this industry is always the most depressing shit ever.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
The voices in his head schtick was dropped some time ago before the new Marvel NOW! Deadpool run started. I'm not sure how really.

Deadpool vs. Carnage was really fun, Deadpool really affected Carnage in a way I've never seen him act before. That was just crazy. It wasn't a good book I admit, I just chalk it up to okay.

yeah I actually read / heard good stuff about it but it didn't do much for me. I didn't hate it but like I said, I forgot I read it (and I've been trying to post everything I read even if noone cares lol)

As for his "proper" runs, I just haven't gotten around to start them yet, I'm reading so many already that it's dangerously close to all being a blur. That's why I went with the team ups since its one shots (and the stupid deadpool kills the MU before)

I assume this is the "current" run?

Paying attention to how things are selling in this industry is always the most depressing shit ever.

Like following ratings for your favorite shows :/

This new colouring in the current Bachalo drawn Uncanny X-Men issues is killing my buzz. It is really bad. It really hurts the look of his art and correct me if I am wrong but Eva has Blue eyes not brown correct? In the most recent issue she has brown eyes. That's a stupid error unless it is explained in the Eva annuals which I haven't read yet.

Here is a pic of the new colouring, with Eva's eyes also.

The old colouring and Evas blue eyes

I tried giving Bendis's Uncanny X-Men run a try but I actually lost interest due to Bachalo's coloring. There was a poster around here (Liquid! I think?) who hated on Bachalo's coloring a while back. I kind of thought he was crazy, but I kind of agree with him now. His coloring tends to work in variations of three to five colors and those colors don't seem to tie well into the story. They kind of seem random. It really takes away from his artwork for me.

The new coloring sample you've posted may be by the numbers but I think it's an upgrade for me.

Thanks for the ASM recommendations guys, I'll have to check out a lot of this stuff. I read a good chunk of JMS ASM leading into OMD but then I stopped reading almost entirely except for a bit of Big Time and Spider-Island. So I missed out on pretty much all of this stuff.

Man, I miss Spider-Man... I'm on the fence about the Roger Stern Spidey Omni, what's the word on that?

I was thinking really hard about getting that omni. Stern has written a lot of wonderful classic Spider-Man comics. With omnibuses, I tend to lean towards newer runs since those go out of print. I'm fairly certain you'll be able to grab the Stern omni in the future but not a Hickman FF omni, y'know.

PsychBat!

Banned
As for his "proper" runs, I just haven't gotten around to start them yet, I'm reading so many already that it's dangerously close to all being a blur. That's why I went with the team ups since its one shots (and the stupid deadpool kills the MU before)
Yeah, I also didn't like Deadpool kills the MU story. Not because it was violent (okay maybe a little) but because it was stupid. The whole Deadpool killing everyone off by pulling off wacky hijinks turned horrors wouldn't work on most super heroes. It's asinine.

BUUUUUT.... I enjoyed Deadpool Killustrated. It's a sequel in which he goes killing off famous characters in classic literature.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Yo, that "Imagine if Morrison was writing DC movies" or whatever thread was an abomination.

EDIT: Awww no, I went into the Secret Wars thread. Anytime I see the snippy "reading comprehension much...", I get douche-chills. Never goin' back there again.

Rhaknar

Deadpool never changed his costume, except for the x-force stint right?

Because he's actually been around for a while now

Alternate universes don't count

Drayco21

Deadpool never changed his costume, except for the x-force stint right?

Because he's actually been around for a while now

Alternate universes don't count

He gets a new costume just about once per story arc during Way's run, but always for a short time before returning to the classic. The Marvel Now costume is actually a different, updated design- the differences are extremely subtle, but they're there.

so uh

i don't read guardians (friend does) but i guess bendis ruined the symbiotes?

Edit: I see there was already some discussion about this. the venom design is awful.

Death of Wolverine was pretty good comics. I've never been super into Steve McNiven but for the most part he's good, though sometimes i questioned his choice of layouts (especially in DP spreads). It's fast paced because it's 4 issues and, despite the $4.99 price tag on the floppies, they're standard size comics. This is kinda a problem when characters conveniently show up as a deus ex machina (this happens twice in #2). But it's a fun romp, even if Wolverine is DEAD AS FUCK and will NEVER come back.

My HC came with a digital code. Anyone have codes for Ant-Man and/or Wolverines #1, i'll trade!

and here's another
out of context
Kitty panel for the collection

LBLcnsy.png

Remember alpha

His name is Andrew mcguire(seriously)
As far as I know, I own/have owned every appearance of Alpha. And yet, the "Andrew Mcguire" name still surprises me every time i see it

Rhaknar

So Namor just disappeared from the X books after AvX, but surely his invasion of Wakanda was dealt with in some book? Or is Black Panther a bitch and he didn't do anything about it?

PsychBat!

Banned
So Namor just disappeared from the X books after AvX, but surely his invasion of Wakanda was dealt with in some book? Or is Black Panther a bitch and he didn't do anything about it?
Bad form calling Black Panther a bitch. Everyone knows that Namor is the biggest bitch.
And he's in HICKMAN'S New Avengers lol.

Drayco21

so uh

i don't read guardians (friend does) but i guess bendis ruined the symbiotes?

Edit: I see there was already some discussion about this. the venom design is awful.

Bendis would have to read something written by someone other than himself to not ruin everything he touches, and he sells well enough that he has no reason to stop.

Hickman's New Avengers.

Rhaknar

Hickman's Avengers / New Avengers is you guys's awnser for everything lol

I really need to read that shit

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Oh man, this is super tempting.

LvGXggB.jpg

Jack Kirby's Kamandi, The Last Boy on Earth, Vol. 1: Artist's Edition HC—SPOTLIGHT
Jack Kirby (w & a & c)
Jack Kirby's most beloved creation is now an extraordinary Artist's Edition, collecting six complete issues of Kamandi: 1, 2, 5, 6, 7 and 9, as well as covers and extras. There is no better way to view the magic of King Kirby than in the one and only Artist's Edition format—reserve your copy early!
HC • BW • $75.00 net discount item • 160 Pages • 12" x 17" • ISBN: 978-1-63140-344-6
•What is an Artist's Edition?
•AN ARTIST'S EDITION PRESENTS COMPLETE STORIES WITH EACH PAGE SCANNED FROM THE ACTUAL ORIGINAL ART.
•While appearing to be in black & white, each page has been scanned in COLOR to mimic as closely as possible the experience of viewing the actual original art—for example, you are able to clearly see paste-overs, blue pencils in the art, editorial notes, art corrections. Each page is printed the same size as drawn, and the paper selected is as close as possible to the original art board.
•Advance solicited for a May release!
•Kamandi lives in a world populated by intelligent, talking animals—everything from lions to bats to whales, all are the inheritors of this strange new world—except for mankind…people are now the animals!
•"Kamandi by Jack Kirby was my favorite comic when I was 9 years old, and I'm thrilled to see it as an Artist's Edition!"—Scott Dunbier

Rhaknar

EmmaSleep.jpg

That is NOT a comfortable way to sleep Emma, damn woman

For those who are wondering and haven't checked it out yet... the current Posehn/Duggan run on Deadpool is absolutely fantastic. The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly arc that I read last year was one of the top five story arcs of the last couple years.

Fucking good. And Shalvey killed it on art in that arc.

Deadpool.jpg

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Man, I miss Spider-Man... I'm on the fence about the Roger Stern Spidey Omni, what's the word on that?

Havent unwrapped it yet, but Collector Boards love this thing. Also, Sterns Run is a big classic. His Hobgoblin Stuff is supposed to be great!

Edit: Oh my god, Cheska :D

Top Bottom