• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2015. So many variants you'd swear it's 1995 instead.

ALRIGHT GUYS QUESTIONS TIME!!

Was gunna make a thread asking this but this feels like a Yahoo questions sort of problem so I figured I'd ask you guys cuz y'all is good peoples and don't judge cuz you's is good people (this isn't like some interesting question btw I just legit need help with something stupid lol sorry)

Alright so as of right now, whenever I go on GAF, if I'm on my phone and I click the arrow taking me to the first unread post, it will take me to the first post that I have yet to read like it should; however if I'm on a computer, it will take me to the first unread post of like the past 20 minutes, making me miss pages of peoples' posts sometimes. Anyone else have this problem or know why it happens or is it just me being stupid about something and being scrubby on how GAF works.

Rob Liefeld draws Walking Dead.............................

the-walking-dead-rob-liefeld-119095.jpg

ew.gif.html

Messi

Grant Morrison should do a few issues of Harley. Tell me that wouldn't be facinating.

It breaks my heart that I can't own the premium format Harley or Batgirl. They just cost too much to get here. Nearly €500. I just can't justify it. :(

CBTech

Just got caught up on Batman and Robin. This series is so damn good. The page of Bruce and Damian embracing was very heartwarming. I love Damian and they brought him back in a great way. It didn't feel forced or contrived. In some ways this whole run seemed like a continuation of Grant Morrison's run. Not saying Tomasi is as good as Morrison, but he handled things very well.

I'm interested to see how a "Robin with super powers" is going to be. I'm not sure how I feel with giving Damian the whole standard set of superpowers (flight, strength, speed, invulnerability). Given the "Up, Up, And Away" line at the end of #38 I suspect we might be seeing some Damian/Superman interactions next issue.

tim1138

I'm pretty sure Rafa is writing Marvel's talking points for Secret Wars. Nth degree events within events!

To be clear, Warzones! titles are not fill-ins. These are the event caliber books, magnified to the Nth degree,” added Marvel SVP Sales & Marketing David Gabriel. “Secret Wars has afforded us a completely unique opportunity to tell huge, epic, event-sized stories within the framework of this new, patchwork planet – events within events. These titles will lay the building blocks and groundwork for what’s next, if that gives any indication of how important they are!”

Boogiepop

Oh right, rage at Archie caused me to temporarily forget, but I read up to right before the start of the Future Foundation stuff in Hickman FF. And man, the issue with
Spiderman talking to Franklin after Johnny's death
was really good and is probably my favorite thus far. Also really liked
Ben becoming human again
. But yeah, definitely enjoying it a lot thus far. Pretty much the only thing that's felt kind of eh to me has been the
Old/New Atlantis diplomacy
stuff. And I'm definitely glad to see that Hickman does the small emotional moments well too, since it always felt like you guys were building him up primarily as a big master builder of some complex plot.

no guys seriously
how could i be wrong?

I think Whedon is done with Marvel for a while once he finished Age of Ultron. I doubt he wants to be tied to a monthly comic book. I can see him writing a single issue or something but if you're implying that he would be the Avengers writer following Secret Wars then I can't imagine that would happen. It would be a big get, to be sure, but if they did then I doubt he would last out a year and by the end of that year he would already have a co-writer.

In terms of Marvel's current A-list, I wouldn't be surprised if Slott got the nod for Avengers. Maybe Aaron. Between Uncanny Avengers and Captain America it feels like Remender has already covered enough Avengers-like ground that putting him on the main title wouldn't seem particularly noteworthy or different.

Not sure who else they could bring in that would really qualify as blockbuster talent that hasn't already done notable Avengers work in the last decade. Is Brian K. Vaughan still on good terms with Marvel? Doesn't seem like like there is anybody they could poach from DC- I believe Snyder is still heavily locked down and Geoff Johns is obviously not an option.

Maybe Warren Ellis?

Boogiepop

Oh, while I'm thinking of it: anyone have a decent archive of Comixology sales? I want to get a feel for how outlandish the idea of waiting for a sale on Sonic stuff may or may not be...

Oh right, rage at Archie caused me to temporarily forget, but I read up to right before the start of the Future Foundation stuff in Hickman FF. And man, the issue with
Spiderman talking to Franklin after Johnny's death
was really good and is probably my favorite thus far. Also really liked
Ben becoming human again
. But yeah, definitely enjoying it a lot thus far. Pretty much the only thing that's felt kind of eh to me has been the
Old/New Atlantis diplomacy
stuff. And I'm definitely glad to see that Hickman does the small emotional moments well too, since it always felt like you guys were building him up primarily as a big master builder of some complex plot.

FF just really does a great job at showing how well rounded Hickman can be. Yeah everyone always talks about his slow burns, intricate plotting, and payoffs but in FF he just consistently nails the emotional beats throughout the whole run. Especially in his characterization of all of the Foundation kids. And there is a ton of humor (there is a Spidey-centric story in the epilogue portion of the run that had me crying with laughter). In fact I would love to see Hickman take over Spidey when Slott leaves. He seems to get the character really well.

I love his Secret Warriors and Avengers stuff but they are both decidedly more clinical than his FF.

arkon

Oh, while I'm thinking of it: anyone have a decent archive of Comixology sales? I want to get a feel for how outlandish the idea of waiting for a sale on Sonic stuff may or may not be...

I know they had a sale for some Sonic trades a week or so ago. I ended up buying the first Megaman trade in that which was also part of the sale.

Boogiepop

I know they had a sale for some Sonic trades a week or so ago. I ended up buying the first Megaman trade in that which was also part of the sale.

Huh, fortunately it at least appears to have been entirely stuff I already own. And googling only seems to bring up one more sale that happened to coincide with Worlds Collide, and that was all more modern stuff too. I guess the older stuff just may not go on sale. Shame that those can't just be $0.99 default price, since they're not exactly super worthwhile. Maybe I'll grab the 4th Legacy volume digitally to get a feel for the stuff on Comixology and then decide if I feel like biting the bullet for more in the future...

tim1138

Thanks, Tim. I'm worried I'll lose all my fav cape writers at this point

This isn't the interview I was thinking of, but it covers it.

His move away from superheroes is not entirely unexpected, then, but it has surprised many that the biggest champion of superhero comics is stepping back. Has Morrison simply done what he set out to do when he first hit the Batman big time with Arkham Asylum back in 1989?

“Yeah, it just felt like I’d said a lot, you know,” he says. “I knew I was coming to the end of Action comics in [issue] 16, I knew I was coming to the end of Batman in issue 12, of Batman Incorporated, and it just seemed like I had all this other stuff building up that was completely different from that, and it seemed like a really good time to stop doing the monthly superhero books. And also having to work with so many artists on Action Comics, it's not that the artists are bad but I’m sometimes working for three or four guys at a time, which means you’re writing issue 14 before you've written issue 12 and then you're sending in six pages of issue 13 to someone else. So it was just too hectic. I just didn't want to do it any more. And since things were reaching that natural end... It wasn't like an announcement but it was treated like an announcement, because I think I’d already said I was leaving these comics at that time.

“But yeah, it fits into this general kind of script that's going now where we're all leaving and moving on to do creator-owned work, like we've never done it before. [laughs] So I’m just going along with that.”

There has been a recent exodus of writers and artists from the DC stable, some slipping out quietly, others angrily, and a couple leaving in protest at various ethical concerns. Morrison is keen to point out that he is leaving on good terms with DC, and still has work in the pipeline with them for the next year.

The referenced work in the pipeline is Wonder Woman and Multiversity by the way.

Cade

Don't worry. We will always have Ann Nocenti.

I just wonder why her name is an anagram of An Innocent. Why? It's so comic-y. an innocent bystander. It's mindblowing. Did she change her name?

EDIT: Thanks, Tim. Doesn't sound as finite as some others, but still... I'll miss him.

Fjordson

Got my Fear Agent library edition in. Beautiful book, even heavier than I thought it'd be. Though Barnes & Noble's packaging is kinda shitty. Some ugly marks on the cover and the corners are a little beat up.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
He did write the Flash though, he wrote like 8 or 10 issues with Millar in the late 90s.

How are those issues?
Got my Fear Agent library edition in. Beautiful book, even heavier than I thought it'd be. Though Barnes & Noble's packaging is kinda shitty. Some ugly marks on the cover and the corners are a little beat up.
www,instocktrades.com
Please stop ordering books from anywhere else.

He did write the Flash though, he wrote like 8 or 10 issues with Millar in the late 90s.

I know. You linked the article many months ago where he said this. He said he would like to explore the science behind the Flash. He said maybe one day. Then you were like "can we please get the current team off of this and make this happen now!"

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I know. You linked the article many months ago where he said this. He said he would like to explore the science behind the Flash. He said maybe one day. Then you were like "can we please get the current team off of this and make this happen now!"

tim's quote is still relevant. When the fuck is a good team gonna get on Flash?

tim1138

How are those issues?

www,instocktrades.com
Please stop ordering books from anywhere else.

It was good stuff, that's when the Black Flash (basically the speedster version of Death) was introduced. Their run was a short fill in while Waid took some time off from the book.

KoruptData said:

My short term memory is AWESOME

E the Shaggy

It's.. Not as horrible as I thought it would be. Still bad, but I expected worse. So how is Liefeld still getting work? Do people just hire him as a joke?

Are you kidding? Man you should see the lines of people who wait to have him draw/sign things for him at conventions. It stretches out the door.

People fucking LOVE his art.

Zer0 Kane

Neo Member
Amazon has the Johns Green Lantern omnibus for preorder at 52% off with release day delivery. Probably the best price you'll find. Just have to take a chance on Amazons shipping. I had a bunch of credit with them, so it was definitely the best option for me.

tim1138

My quote about Morrison writing the Flash stands, how awesome would this be:

Karl Keily: You just wrapped up your epic, decade-long, redefining Batman run. Are there any other iconic characters you’d like to revamp next?

Grant Morrison: The Flash is the only one left that I would still do. If I’m gonna do the Flash, I want to do it as a science-fiction story like The Incredible Shrinking Man or Stephen King’s Thinner, or The Fly, where you basically take a scientist and then subject him to a very simple equation. For Barry Allen, he’d just be getting faster and faster and faster — and what would that mean? Because somewhere up there is the speed of light, and when you hit the speed of light, basically all time stops and it’s the end. That’s the limit. So we’re watching this guy progress through it, faster and faster. By the end of Act 1, his clothes are burning off every time he moves, so he has to build himself a suit, and then he paints the suit red like a Ferrari and is just speeding around like he’s on coke all the time! I want to do that as a sci-fi story, but out of it comes the familiar image of the Flash. I think that’d be totally different, just taking it from a different angle.

It was good stuff, that's when the Black Flash (basically the speedster version of Death) was introduced. Their run was a short fill in while Waid took some time off from the book.

My short term memory is AWESOME

I know! I figured that out when I listed Aquaman in my top 10 of 2014 and you told me you didn't realized I read Aquaman when we have had some conversations about it through out the year. Don't worry, I take no offense, my wife is the same way, I am use to it.

Messi

I just wonder why her name is an anagram of An Innocent. Why? It's so comic-y. an innocent bystander. It's mindblowing. Did she change her name?

EDIT: Thanks, Tim. Doesn't sound as finite as some others, but still... I'll miss him.

I am afraid my infrographic on Ann Nocenti only tells me so much.

tim1138

I know! I figured that out when I listed Aquaman in my top 10 of 2014 and you told me you didn't realized I read Aquaman when we have had some conversations about it through out the year. Don't worry, I take no offense, my wife is the same way, I am use to it.

Yeah it's totally not intentional. I can remember some stupid shit I read in a comic 25 years ago or the stats of a baseball player from 1987, but not something I said a week ago. It drives my wife crazy.

tim1138

Dude, I forgot the Geoff Johns Green Lantern omnibus is coming out next week. Yeah, I'm getting it.

Oh shit, an omnibus of Geoff Johns Green Lantern? Why would it take this long to come out?

It's like 1400 pages long and is just volume one. Volume two is later this year. I've been doing the math trying to figure if they'll shove the rest into a third volume or divide it up and do four volumes.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
This new volume of WATXM isnt very good :/

I dont know what it is, the characters are there, the setting, hell its focusing on mah boy Quentin, and yet...something feels off

Top Bottom