• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2015. So many variants you'd swear it's 1995 instead.

Zombine

Banned
Doesn't really sound like news, but it feels like news. I officially got the job and I'm officially starting full-time on February 1st. Before there was a very, very, very slim chance that it wouldn't work out or whatever (but of course I expected everything to go wrong, a bit like Colorado did, so I was still worried about it), but it's for reals now. So yay.

Looking forward to posting in Kipp |OT| less and Comics |OT| more. Probably just one more week until I finish up SiP and get back to more mainstream comics.

Congrats kipp! I look forward to your first scene.

Messi

Congratulations Kipp. You deserve it man. Get that paper. Then buy all the statues. Figure gaf welcomes you.

Speaking of figure gaf

LEZSuPJ.jpeg

Hnnnng. Gimmie. Wanted a cap for quite a bit.

Yo, Freeza and co. The Batgirl (Babs Tarr) Black and White statue is up on bigbadtoystore to preorder. So are the bombshell Lois Lane and Batwoman. Plus that dope Wonder Woman Art of War statue from the dc short. All dated 3rd quarter this year except Batgirl who is August.

I preordered them all. Fuck.

Yeah, I'm waiting for DCBS to put them up.

I was going to say the same thing,, hope they do get Batgirl.

Zombine

Banned
God damn what a sick and twisted book Rachel Rising is. SiP is great and all, but I find this to be geared much more toward the kind of things I enjoy. I just powered through 5 issues like nothing and I'm hardly even awake yet. I find it to fall under the same category as Walking Dead, where it is so compelling to me and each page flows so well that I can't stop reading it.

Messi

God damn what a sick and twisted book Rachel Rising is. SiP is great and all, but I find this to be geared much more toward the kind of things I enjoy. I just powered through 5 issues like nothing and I'm hardly even awake yet. I find it to fall under the same category as Walking Dead, where it is so compelling to me and each page flows so well that I can't stop reading it.

Rename it Katchoo Rising and I am in.

Zombine

Banned
Rachel Rising dialogue spoiler:

Zoe & Pedo said:
"Mister, I have a secret friend who watches over me. Every time I see her, somebody dies."

"No shit. Where's your friend now, smart girl?"

"Right behind you."

*pedophile goes flying*

zwhBRbO.gif

Zoe is fucking amazing and creepy as shit.

Edit: #5 god damn. 10/10

Since this has come up more than a few times in the last couple of pages, I just wanted to bring back up the topic of a ComicGAF podcast. Zombine and I were talking, and I really think we could make this happen. I'm sure we all have different skills we could provide, and were on a video game forum,there has to be someone who is super tech savvy when it comes to editing/recording/hosting etc! If everyone who participated pitched in for hosting until we're actually established, and we get a good group of people together, it could work.

In my personal opinion, I think the book(s) of the week, current topic/trends, movie/media is the most appealing. And we could totally have special edition ones, maybe book of the month style?

I know plenty of other podcasts do this too, but that doesn't mean they're good or that people don't get tired of hearing the same opinions.

Definitely down for taking part. Hoping to get a broadcast-quality mic soon anyway, so this is a good incentive.

J10

Banned
There was a moment during Siege where it was alluded to that Sentry's abilities were biblical in nature. Did they ever go back to that?

kd-z

This hangover is kind of nasty. It's 2 pm here and I'm still in bed. Also spent like two hours arguing about gay rights with a guy. Overall not the greatest party. I feel like ordering some really fat food, reading comics and playing games. It's perhaps time I finally gave Frankencastle or that X-Statix omni a go.

Oh, and of course gz, Kipp!

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Congrats kipp! I look forward to your first scene.

Hahaha.

Will PM you link.

Congratulations Kipp. You deserve it man. Get that paper. Then buy all the statues. Figure gaf welcomes you.

Speaking of figure gaf

Thanks!
And whaaat. How can they make a face look so realistic!?

Boogiepop

Speaking of figure gaf

LEZSuPJ.jpeg

I honestly have yet to see one in person, but for whatever reason those super detailed, accurate to a real life person statues like this creep me out just a little.

Is it me or are the other JLers just behave differently around Bruce/Batman mostly? With others they seem more...civil, I'm basing this off the latest Batman and Robin issue.
It's because Batman's a jerk. Nobody likes a jerk.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, Damian's a jerk too. But he's a "cute" kid as well, and people will let you get away with that just because you're a "cute" kid. You're just precocious.

Zombine

Banned
You should have seen the costume they were going to go with before that one:

captain-america-inflatable-costume-3.gif

Pitched by Rob Lifeld. It made it right up until the end, but they forgot to make the boots.

Kipp

Man, comics are so good. Just read a ton of Strangers in Paradise. So good.

Also getting even more excited to re-read the second half of Morrison's Batman. I got the Return of Bruce Wayne Deluxe Edition in the mail yesterday, so I officially have the whole run (except for Time and the Batman, but that doesn't really count) in oversized/Absolute-sized hardcovers. So looking forward to that.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Was it the Ultimte Universe where Steve was still a Virgin when he came back out of the ice?

is that why he doesnt understand the TOTALLY NORMAL incestual relationship between wanda and pietro?

its TOTALLY NORMAL GUYS, so says Wasp

Oh, Annihilation Conquest Starlord is really good. Surprised by the dialogue. Giffen was doing very well at the time indeed.

Good change of pace from AC Quasar. Dear god that thing.

Splatt

Oh, Annihilation Conquest Starlord is really good. Surprised by the dialogue. Giffen was doing very well at the time indeed.

Good change of pace from AC Quasar. Dear god that thing.

Annihilation Conquest Starlord is the best Starlord comic in the whole of existence.

LOL fuck I usually never laugh at these. Damnt.

Speaking of Sandman (which I have also double dipped on), does anyone find any problems with the glue binding for the Absolute Editions? I really don't want to be reading it like my third time and then shit just starts falling out. The omnibuses I'm aware have somewhat sewn bindings but I really don't like owning anything that gigantic with over 1000 pages unless that shit is sturdy af.

Kipp

Oh maaaaaan. I couldn't wait until I finished SiP. I just started re-reading Morrison's Batman & Robin (but my first time reading the Absolute Edition) and this is just incredible. Even better than I remembered. This is comics right here.
Both the art and the writing are perfect. So cinematic and so exciting and just so perfect.

Can't even handle it. This is pure comics bliss.

Except my copy of Absolute B&R has like an 18 page span where the pages got bent/creased so I need to contact IST and see what they can do about it. That's sort of a bummer. But it can't stop this hype train.

Looks kinda like if Frank Quitely drew Fry.

Zombie Katchoo and fat David?

That is a great excerpt though. I'm so gonna read that when the series is completed.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
LOL fuck I usually never laugh at these. Damnt.

Speaking of Sandman (which I have also double dipped on), does anyone find any problems with the glue binding for the Absolute Editions? I really don't want to be reading it like my third time and then shit just starts falling out. The omnibuses I'm aware have somewhat sewn bindings but I really don't like owning anything that gigantic with over 1000 pages unless that shit is sturdy af.

Yeah, glue binding eats shit, and it's embarrassing that DC couldn't put extra effort into 100 dollar tomes for one of the most popular/important comic series they ever put out. I think some of the newer Absolute Sandies switched it up to sewn, but I can't confirm--all of mine look like they were put together by cocaine-fueled children with glue guns.

Also, that's why I was saying the omnibus is the much better package, despite the inky black residue that comes from the black-lined edges of the paper.

Kipp

Ooooh. PunkRockPaperScissors is 50% on IST today! I guess this is where my IST ordering resumes. Now to decide what fills out the order.

Edit: Too many things I want to buy... So many options. Leaning towards something Brubaker. Sleeper omnibus or all the Gotham Central paperbacks maybe? Also, I just saw that there's a Sean Phillips art book. WHY DID NOBODY TELL ME.

Oh maaaaaan. I couldn't wait until I finished SiP. I just started re-reading Morrison's Batman & Robin (but my first time reading the Absolute Edition) and this is just incredible. Even better than I remembered. This is comics right here.
Both the art and the writing are perfect. So cinematic and so exciting and just so perfect.

Can't even handle it. This is pure comics bliss.

Except my copy of Absolute B&R has like an 18 page span where the pages got bent/creased so I need to contact IST and see what they can do about it. That's sort of a bummer. But it can't stop this hype train.

Looks kinda like if Frank Quitely drew Fry.

Zombie Katchoo and fat David?

That is a great excerpt though. I'm so gonna read that when the series is completed.
I plan on surging and wrapping up SiP this weekend. And you should read Echo next. Then Rachel Rising. Keep it in order!

And I guess with your love of zombies Zombine would love RR. And I think Zoe is Terry's favorite character in the series

Volume 2 of iZombie done. I really like it so far. It's not the most intellectual story but the characters are really fun and you care for them. Book does a nice job of explaining the zombie, vampire, ghost, werewolf myths with the oversoul and undersouls. Really like that.

Top Bottom