• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2015. So many variants you'd swear it's 1995 instead.

Zombine

Banned
Only 3 people here openly enjoying Ody-C. Scust as fuck.

tumblr_naplw8nu2D1qlrd4qo6_1280.jpg

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
please tell me theres a dude in that Ant Man comic that actually has a bear cowl

Tizoc

Waid should end the run with a
confrontation with Kingpin, who turns out to be running the company that'll publish his book.
Or just a confrontation with Kingpin

Charles Soule is the comic book equivalent to prawn crackers. Dry, unfufulling and almost flavourless but we eat them anyway.

Nathan Edmondson comics tho

also, I was wondering when that new Silver Surfer was coming out, think it got delayed cuz of Allred's work on Miracleman. But it arrives next week!

SILVSURF2014008-int2-5-123dd.jpg

Owzers

Batman #37: This might make a fantastic horror movie, Capullo's artwork was great and creepy. The story though was mostly dull, as usual. It's a megavirus! Test all the cures....we did! Batman, Batman! So that first few pages were awful but then it turned around with all the amazing Capullo art. I also forgot who
Duke was, so when that part came up with Joe Chill, my reaction was " oh no, not Duke!"
Random 7/10 arts.

Some more redrawn pages, including ones Burnham did himself

Vzupnz4.jpg

This was the very first page of Batman Inc Vol.2, which was suppose to foreshadow the last issue, in a snake eating its own tail Ouroborous kind of thing. Course this was drawn like a year out and things change, as this is after Bruce's big encounter with Talia, EVIL DAMIAN BATMAN, and everybody else so he's all beat to hell in the last issue, #13. The first page of #1 has been corrected with the benefit of hindsight. They even have the right color choice.

batmanarrest.png

jT3NP16.jpg

Burnham/Fairbairn's just has so much more energy. The Henchmen are really rushing in the room, and Batman explodes into the room on some spingboard shit. Third panel is just a really fun angle.

Ce4qgOT.jpg

Jason Todd's whiny, angry pose better matches the dialog on this scene, and I love that arching eyebrow he draws on him as the Hood emerges from the shadows, the traitorous spy still recognizable with his face mask.

e5Kft4L.jpg

Our heroes bursting through the sunroof is a more distinctive Batman element, and just a bit more believable than teenage Squire-now-Knight explding through a concrete roof. And of course Burnham's actions always have more energy, with lots of movement lines instead of static poses.

Batman #37: This might make a fantastic horror movie, Capullo's artwork was great and creepy. The story though was mostly dull, as usual. It's a megavirus! Test all the cures....we did! Batman, Batman! So that first few pages were awful but then it turned around with all the amazing Capullo art. I also forgot who
Duke was, so when that part came up with Joe Chill, my reaction was " oh no, not Duke!"
Random 7/10 arts.

What happened to your dollar ranking? How much would you say the issue is worth?

tim1138

How fitting is it that the slipcover for Inc is Burnham's Batman version of the ouroborous? Instead of the snake eating its own tale, it's an endless cycle of Batman continuing forever. A great nod to Morrison's ultimate theme of Batman forever existing. Really if anything should have been called Batman Eternal, it really should have been Morrison's run.

Ant-Man was a decent start. We'll see if it can pull off the Hawkeye-isms. Also feels a bit like She-Hulk #1.

I have zero attachment to Scott Lang though, so it'll really be a test to see if he can be characterized as anything other than the loser #1 makes him out to be.

Finished reading Ody-C #1. I always love takes on The Odyssey, but this fell a bit flat. The art and paneling was great and the setting was interesting as well. But the writing didn't seem to find a good balance between using the disinterested narrator point of view and the too-much-exposition trap a lot of Sci-Fi books fall into.

Maybe it was intentional, but some of the sentences were actually difficult to parse. This one, for example.

"Poseidon is Jealous. Odyssia's sacrifice was to her bride Amphitrite and not to she herself".

Assuming prior knowledge of the source material should not be an excuse to write difficult to parse sentences.

Zombine

Banned
In my mind Absolute Batman Inc is almost a new book from all of that redrawn art. It's like the Star Wars special editions only the changes make sense.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I love the girl in the new Silver Surfer book. it was so easy for it to just be a fish out of water story, but its the opposite, its like she was out of water on earth. I love how she is totally nonchalant to all the aleins and shit and just takes charge (like when she tells Surfer that SHE is here to rescue him and he's like "wait...wtf?")

lovely book, at least the 3 issues on MU

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Anyone else read All New Ghost Rider?

Think I'll read #10 and if thats as boring as the past nine, thats me done with the book.

Picked up The Invisibles omnibus from the library. Been a few years since I read it and I didn't enjoy it much at that time. Going to give it another shot, now that I've read Doom Patrol.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Dropped it after 5 issues. All style and no substance. Art was unique but nothing else kept me coming back.

The art hurts my eyes. I can't tell for the life of me what's going on in the fight scenes.

The 'gangs' etc are written like a fourteen year olds idea of a gang war too

Owzers

Wicked and Divine #6 - i dunnnnno it seems like the first five issues would have made a decent mini and now things are getting stretched. Random 5/10.

Top Bottom