• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2015. So many variants you'd swear it's 1995 instead.

Been awhile since I read a comic -__-

Should be getting new issues this Saturday, looking forward to that. Reading all this Star Wars and Avengers hype is getting to me, I should probably read some backlog...
lmao reading comics
Spider-Man 2099 #1, now this was fun. I'm a big fan of villains who act nonchalant (reminded me of Death's Head from the S.W.O.R.D. series) and Spidey 2099 takes me back to the good old days. Is the story that explains why he's in the present worth reading?

Spidey 2099 is really fun, I'm enjoying the book a lot. Unfortunately it's stuck in event crossover status right now so I haven't read the last few. Been craving for my Miguel fix...

Fuck I forgot about superior spidey, that's the spock run, I wanted to read it even when I wasn't reading comics again. Adding!

This all new captain America you guys are praising isn't on MU, I guess it's too recent. There's a All New Invaders which I haven't added yet, and also a couple of Avengers book I haven't added, one called Avengers World and the other Avengers Undercover

Some of those books are sequels from a previous run,

Remender's Captain America leads to All New Captain America

Avengers Arena leads to Avengers Undercover

Avengers World takes place after Infinity

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Just added Dark Reign Fantastic Four, Dark Reign Cabal and Fantastic Four #570, time to see what the fuss about hickman is

My queue/library is ridiculous right now, I don't see how I won't resub... you won Marvel Unlimited, you won

Messi

I just finished Ant Man #1. Ho-ly Shhhhhiiiiit. What an awesome first issue. This is the guy who wrote Superior Foes? Is that book like this book? Because I laughed out loud numerous times reading this. I can't believe how good it was.

Drayco21

Fuck I forgot about superior spidey, that's the spock run, I wanted to read it even when I wasn't reading comics again. Adding!

This all new captain America you guys are praising isn't on MU, I guess it's too recent. There's a All New Invaders which I haven't added yet, and also a couple of Avengers book I haven't added, one called Avengers World and the other Avengers Undercover

All-New Cap is only three issues in- just started.

Avengers World is a supplement to Hickman's Avengers and New Avengers, set after Infinity. It's mostly side stories focusing on lower level team members like Sunspot, Smasher and Shang Chi. It's solid, but unremarkable.

Avengers Undercover is a garbage sequel to the garbage Avengers Arena, written by the garbage Hopeless, built on the premise that killing niche but loved teen characters would bring in the Hunger Games crowd.

I just finished Ant Man #1. Ho-ly Shhhhhiiiiit. What an awesome first issue. This is the guy who wrote Superior Foes? Is that book like this book? Because I laughed out loud numorous times reading this. I can't believe how good it was.

Superior Foes is even more comedy oriented, but the style is very similar. If you enjoyed Ant-Man, you'll probably get a kick out of Superior Foes.

Just added Dark Reign Fantastic Four, Dark Reign Cabal and Fantastic Four #570, time to see what the fuss about hickman is

Though I don't have as deep a comics background as most in this thread, This run of Comics is my absolute favorite and I could not give a single fuck about the Fantastic Four before I read it. It may start off a little slow, just stick with it, the pay off is absolutely amazing. AAAAAND it then goes into the amazing Avengers/New Avengers run that is currently happening now.

Speaking of which, just finished reading Avengers 40....WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! That was pretty cathartic.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
^ and Undercover deleted. I didn't start it so my ocd won't bother me, and it's not a X book so my fanboyism won't interfere

I just finished Ant Man #1. Ho-ly Shhhhhiiiiit. What an awesome first issue. This is the guy who wrote Superior Foes? Is that book like this book? Because I laughed out loud numerous times reading this. I can't believe how good it was.

You haven't read Superior Foes? Janice (Beetle) is from that!

Definitely read it, the final trade comes out this month I believe.

Superior Foes is amazing and you should read it ASAP.

PsychBat!

Banned
I made this for Rhaknar and this will also help anyone wanting to read Hickman.

SwlvNRl.png

Rhaknar

So... Superior Foes #1 was fucking amazing. Is that like a established fact? Because it should be. Holy shit.

Also, I love this down to earth, every day, "realistic" vibe sone of these books have. I loved it in Hawkguy. I loved it in She Hulk. I loved it in the 6 issues I read of Waid's Daredevil. Why isn't there more shit like this? Why in Galactus's name isn't Spider-Man like this?

Also thanks for the Hickman guide Psych :) I saw S.H.I.E.L.D and Secret Warriors when I searched for Hickman on MU but you guys didn't mention those so I didn't add them. I will now correct that

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Oh my goodness. I just read the first arc of Batmanga (the Lord Death Man arc). That was excellent.
It was pretty much exactly what I was expecting it to be, except it was even better. The writing was actually pretty good (though still just cheesy enough, which is obviously what you'd want it to be) and the art was excellent. It reminded me of a slightly more mature Batman '66 (mature in tone and plot, rather than inappropriate content or something), which was exactly what I was hoping for.
I'm definitely in for any other volumes of it that come out. Highly recommended.
Oh, and the book itself is really high quality. Really thick paperstock and just a quality package overall.

Oh my goodness. I just read the first arc of Batmanga (the Lord Death Man arc). That was excellent.
It was pretty much exactly what I was expecting it to be, except it was even better. The writing was actually pretty good (though still just cheesy enough, which is obviously what you'd want it to be) and the art was excellent. It reminded me of a slightly more mature Batman '66 (mature in tone and plot, rather than inappropriate content or something), which was exactly what I was hoping for.
I'm definitely in for any other volumes of it that come out. Highly recommended.
Oh, and the book itself is really high quality. Really thick paperstock and just a quality package overall.

Glad to see you're enjoying it, I've really dug what I've read so far. I actually need to read more lol

I already made a post about it, but I think you might like Henshin if you're ever looking for another manga. It's a short read but it's good stuff.

Zombine

Banned
I've yet to read my copy of Batmanga, but I hope the transfer is better than CMX. The digital version had some awfully blurry pages.

Owzers

pre-ordered the Majora's Mask LE statue thing set, even though i don't like the statue

pre-ordered the Majora's Mask LE new 3ds, even though i rarely play my 3ds as is.

Yeah, this is a bunch of good ideas totally not driven by supply/demand and buying limited edition things because they are rare.

fauxtrot

Banned
I went from being a top 10 poster the last 4 months to this being my 2nd post of 2015.

FML

I will be back guys... I swear it.

Messi

I went from being a top 10 poster the last 4 months to this being my 2nd post of 2015.

FML

I believe in you. Just gotta up the volume. Gotta have that drive and dedication to break into the top 3. Then you get your club membership.

FML

smh, you really think you need to read comics to become a top poster here? What do you think Tyrant Rave and I don't do all day?

fauxtrot

Banned
Yo, I've been reading more comics in January that I did this fall... I just can't help but try to play catch up w/ the thread and I feel like I'm always 20 pages behind. Gotta POWER THROUGH tonight so I can see why ViewtifulJC got banned!

Messi

Yo, I've been reading more comics in January that I did this fall... I just can't help but try to play catch up w/ the thread and I feel like I'm always 20 pages behind. Gotta POWER THROUGH tonight so I can see why ViewtifulJC got banned!

It didn't happen here. He would never get banned in here.

ElNarez

Banned

FML

Quality over quantity, brah.

Unless you're John Cassaday. The man can draw on-model spaceships, but ugh, his faces. God damn. Almost ruined Star Wars.

Cheska

Clarification about Rat Queens Braga:
is Braga trans?

Really loved the issue though, can't freaking wait until we get back on track.

Drayco21

Out of curiosity, is anyone else still keeping up with Future's End? I've really liked the last few issues, but I never see anyone else mention it.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
EDIT: Kipp, you read (Pre-New 52) Batman Inc?

Yes I have! I think that's where I first learned about Batmanga. I'm really excited to re-read that Japan Batman issue now.

Glad to see you're enjoying it, I've really dug what I've read so far. I actually need to read more lol

I already made a post about it, but I think you might like Henshin if you're ever looking for another manga. It's a short read but it's good stuff.

Is this the Henshin you're talking about?
Your post really interested me in it, and then "I Kill Giants co-creator" in the description pretty much sold me on it. I'll definitely try to pick that up sometime.

I've yet to read my copy of Batmanga, but I hope the transfer is better than CMX. The digital version had some awfully blurry pages.

The pages varied in quality. Some were colored (I think those pages were from the Batmanga hardcover that was released a while back), some were black and white but still really good quality, and a handful were noticeably lower quality but still very clear. Overall, the image quality wasn't an issue at all.

FML

You better be back.

Rhaknar

Super Villains Anonymous

This book man...

Edit: please tell me these are actual Marvel villains and not made up just for this. Because there's a guy with a giant bell helmet and a hippopotamus dude, this is amazing

Lmao @ dat VJC drama. Not guna lie shit was funny af.

SO COMICS YEAH I forgot how fucking godlike Y is. Shit brings a tear to my eye. Now I have to get the other HC's to complete the collection. God damn collector's complex.

Drayco21

Edit: please tell me these are actual Marvel villains and not made up just for this. Because there's a guy with a giant bell helmet and a hippopotamus dude, this is amazing

The book has so many fantastic easter eggs like that.

The Hippo was in some Amazing Spider-Man stories before this, he was a Hippo transformed by the High Evolutionary cuz :lol comics, and was a member of The Menagerie.

Top Bottom