• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2013. Celebrate liberty with the ultimate patriotic superhero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Waid's Legion was great. It's what got me into the characters. But the current Levitz run has been great, too. The current story arc in particular has been especially good, and it's really upsetting to see the book getting cancelled when it's so strong.

Especially with the future of these great characters in doubt.

I've been meaning to continue getting the trades for the Waid Legion stuff. Better get on that before it goes OOP

Green Lantern New Guardians #21 on the other hand i didn't care for at all, especially the end.
That battle between cyst tusk guy and kyle was so bad.
It seems like this Relic guy is getting forced so fast to be important.

This is the only new GL book I read. I liked it though.

FACT: The only interesting take on the Legion was Mark Waid and Barry Kitson's 2005 run where they disconnected it from the DCU, explained that their codenames were made ironically, made it more futuristic feeling and gave them totally new storylines and villians.

But Legion fans bitched so we went back to the really silly 60s version that has no place in modern comic books. It doesn't even make sense because they supposedly arent supposed to influence time yet there always showing up and hanging out in the regular DCU for big chunks of time. It's just dumb. JL 3000 is the proper modern take. I would have also liked to see Robinson's take where the Infinity Inc. was the team in the future and characters like Jade were the far distant descendants of the Earth 2 guys.

No way. DnAs run was awesome and was what introduced me to legion (i started with legion lost). Waid's run was fun too.

Alright, I'll probably pick them up tomorrow. I remember flipping through GLC and putting it back because of budget constraints. Didn't get a chance to look at GL. The art is actually what kept me from picking up Red Lanterns though.

No way. DnAs run was awesome and was what introduced me to legion (i started with legion lost). Waid's run was fun too.

DnA's run was based on zero hour legion right? The problem is the legion "true fans" bitched so DC went back to a diverse alien futuristic team made up of....white kids who looked like their from the 60s.

Pull-lists, eh? Here's mine. I really want to get rid of about 10 books or so, but I can't do it. Someone hack it up for me, let's see what you guys come up with. Saga, Invincible and TWD aren't going anywhere.

Batwoman
Deadpool
Fearless Defenders
Jupiter's Legacy
Lazarus
Morning Glories
Nova
Superior Spider-Man
Uncanny X-Men
Uncanny X-Force

There are your 10 drops.

Since we love making lists, I wanted to share a list of the collections I own and have yet to read.

Stuck Rubber Baby hc A classic by a legendary gay comics dude. (Vertigo)
Flex Mentallo hc Morrison and Quitely. Heard good things on this one from people I respect. (Vertigo)
Batwoman To Drown The World hc Her second Nu52 volume. I quite enjoyed the first so I want to catch up with this and then read singles. (DC)
The Walking Dead 18 sc Burned through this halfway and then stopped suddenly. I'll finish it eventually. But it's just so intense. (Image)
Daredevil volume 1 sc by Waid. (Marvel)
Gotham Central book 4 hc (DC)
The Discworld Graphic Novels hc by Terry Pratchett I wouldn't be surprised if I never read this.
Pantalones, TX hc (Archaia)
Mouse Guard Fall 1152 hc (Archaia)

That's some books. Not a huge pile but I already have a huge list of collections I need to buy next. Atomic Robo! Saga 2! Captain Marvel 2! Baltimore! Change! Etc, etc, etc.

Do you guys just buy and buy until you bleed and then buy some more? Do you try to match your reading pace with your purchasing frequency to any degree? When does the madness end? Will our hero uncover the secret truth that one is actually never caught up on their comic book reading?

My back catalog for trades/HCs is almost embarrassing. Off the top of my head I've got:

Think Tank vol. 1
Spera vol. 1
Parker: The Hunter
Manhunter vol 2
Solo
New Teen Titans Omni vol. 1
JiM featuring Sif vol 1
Underwater Welder
Rocketeer: Cargo of Doom
Morning Glories vol 1
Seven Soldiers of Victory Ultimate Collection vol 1
Jack Kirby's Fourth World Omnibus Vol. 1
Catwoman by Ed Brubaker vol. 1

Thing is, I pick up books often when i see them for cheap at cons and such. I should get to these while i still have spare time

My back catalog for trades/HCs is almost embarrassing. Off the top of my head I've got:

Think Tank vol. 1
Spera vol. 1
Parker: The Hunter
Manhunter vol 2
Solo
New Teen Titans Omni vol. 1
JiM featuring Sif vol 1
Underwater Welder
Rocketeer: Cargo of Doom
Morning Glories vol 1
Seven Soldiers of Victory Ultimate Collection vol 1
Jack Kirby's Fourth World Omnibus Vol. 1
Catwoman by Ed Brubaker vol. 1

Thing is, I pick up books often when i see them for cheap at cons and such. I should get to these while i still have spare time

Underwater Welder! That is something I need. Maybe JiM, too. I hope you'll share your thoughts on Spera, when you read it.

Comics with giant Robots or transformable mecha, any current series have this?

There's that new Pacific Rim prequel OGN

also

300px-MTMTE1_cvrE.jpg

First, fuck Batman.

Secondly, is Captain Marvel any good now? I know the art's still absolute ass.

Thirdly, is it at all possible to get Infinity digitally? I missed it on FCBD...

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Since we love making lists, I wanted to share a list of the collections I own and have yet to read.

Stuck Rubber Baby hc A classic by a legendary gay comics dude. (Vertigo)
Flex Mentallo hc Morrison and Quitely. Heard good things on this one from people I respect. (Vertigo)
Batwoman To Drown The World hc Her second Nu52 volume. I quite enjoyed the first so I want to catch up with this and then read singles. (DC)
The Walking Dead 18 sc Burned through this halfway and then stopped suddenly. I'll finish it eventually. But it's just so intense. (Image)
Daredevil volume 1 sc by Waid. (Marvel)
Gotham Central book 4 hc (DC)
The Discworld Graphic Novels hc by Terry Pratchett I wouldn't be surprised if I never read this.
Pantalones, TX hc (Archaia)
Mouse Guard Fall 1152 hc (Archaia)

That's some books. Not a huge pile but I already have a huge list of collections I need to buy next. Atomic Robo! Saga 2! Captain Marvel 2! Baltimore! Change! Etc, etc, etc.

Do you guys just buy and buy until you bleed and then buy some more? Do you try to match your reading pace with your purchasing frequency to any degree? When does the madness end? Will our hero uncover the secret truth that one is actually never caught up on their comic book reading?

Congratulations, you are addicted to buying things.

I try to finish what's on my plate before buying more stuff. Sometimes I'll spluge on a bunch of books and they'll last me a couple of months before it's time to go back to get some more. But the idea of buying (expensive) books and letting them sit there is just weird. It reminds me of when I used to read too many singles and the ones I didn't like would sit unread at the bottom of the stack. Why did I bother to buy these books I was obviously not interested in?

ElNarez

Banned
Once in a blue moon, the planets align, Dan Slott has a dumb idea for a dumb terrible Spider-Man story for his dumb and terrible run that I hate, and a miracle happens. Nick Spencer wakes up from his slumber, tunes his ear to the exact frequency of fun and smart, and makes A Good Comic Book spinning off from that.

Or at least that's how I explain how I enjoyed the Spider Island Cloak & Dagger mini to myself. Well, Emma Rios helped, but LET'S FOCUS FOR A MOMENT.

Once again, that day is upon us. Superior Foes of Spider-Man is Quite Excellent. BUY IT. Holy shit it's great and funny and smart and delightful.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Once again, that day is upon us. Superior Foes of Spider-Man is Quite Excellent. BUY IT. Holy shit it's great and funny and smart and delightful.

Nick Spencer is the definition of "throw-shit-at-a-wall-and-see-what-sticks." Dude is always writing 10 books, one of which may be readable with a chance of being great while 9 are wasted paper and staples.

And yeah, Cloak and Dagger was fucking great. May check out Superior Foes if you're saying it's that rare 1/10 book of his.

ElNarez

Banned
Nick Spencer is the definition of "throw-shit-at-a-wall-and-see-what-sticks." Dude is always writing 10 books, one of which may be readable with a chance of being great while 9 are wasted paper and staples.

And yeah, Cloak and Dagger was fucking great. May check out Superior Foes if you're saying it's that rare 1/10 book of his.

The only thing I'll add to my previous post on SFoSM is this : in what I assume must be the greatest feat of self-awareness ever achieved, part of the plot is dealing with a huge heist that actually doesn't exist and that is going nowhere.

tim1138

I cannot take anything Nick Spencer does seriously. He was a (failed) wannabe politician and music promoter here and developed a reputation for not paying bands (or the rent for his bar for that matter). It blew my mind when I found out it was the same guy.

ElNarez

Banned
Also, if you're into old-school Swamp Thing stories you owe it to yourself to pick up Swampy #22 because it is part one of two of a short and sweet plant mystery horror story like they used to make them, plus it's got Constantine.

LIST!

Marvel:
Avengers #15
Deadpool Kills Deadpool #1 of 4
Superior Foes of Spider-Man #1
What If Avengers vs. X-Men #1 of 4

DC:
Batman Incorporated #12
Earth 2 #14

Indies:
Adventure Time with Fionna and Cake #6 of 6 (BOOM)
Mark Waid's Green Hornet #3 (Dynamite)
Transformers: Robots in Disguise #19 (IDW)

Light-ish week.

Savitar

FACT: The only interesting take on the Legion was Mark Waid and Barry Kitson's 2005 run where they disconnected it from the DCU, explained that their codenames were made ironically, made it more futuristic feeling and gave them totally new storylines and villians.

But Legion fans bitched so we went back to the really silly 60s version that has no place in modern comic books. It doesn't even make sense because they supposedly arent supposed to influence time yet there always showing up and hanging out in the regular DCU for big chunks of time. It's just dumb. JL 3000 is the proper modern take. I would have also liked to see Robinson's take where the Infinity Inc. was the team in the future and characters like Jade were the far distant descendants of the Earth 2 guys.

This right here is truth.

We got the boring ye ol Legion again and it got what it deserved, cancelled.

Owzers

Batman 66 #1 is out digitally, someone be brave and buy it then report back. The three panel preview on comixology didn't put it in a good light.

Also, why does batman #21 and Superman Unchained #1 have better quality paper covers than other dc books? Is this a new thing?

seems the No DRM image stuff is not day and date. according to mark waid.

mark waid twitter said:
So I CAN buy Image comics digitally DRM-free...but not on release day? Odd choice. Score one for Comixology, I suppose.

Batman 66 #1 is out digitally, someone be brave and buy it then report back. The three panel preview on comixology didn't put it in a good light.

I really enjoyed it. It's not too tongue-in-cheek at what their referencing, but it's still has the same campy feel as the show. Plus being a digital first works well for the comic with the addition of classic sound effects being added to the panels. I would recommend giving it a shot for $1.

Tizoc

seems the No DRM image stuff is not day and date. according to mark waid.

Doesn't bother me personally, way I see it they want to at least keep book sales going.
I mean heck I now just wait for gog.com to have a sale on games I want that are also on Steam.

Oh, one other thing I've just remembered. It might help if you've read Morrison's run on Animal Man.

Ah, thanks for the tip. I'll try to dig them up!

I love 52 but you should read Gotham Central first if you haven't already. 52 directly carries on from where Renee Montoya's story left off.

Two steps ahead of you ;) The first two volumes of Gotham Central are amongst my personal favourite comics and if this 52 continues from its conclusion....well..... let's just say that at first 52 had my curiosity but now it has my attention.

Owzers

Superman Unchained #1: Didn't care for this at all really, seemed....wordy and dull. Yes it's weird to call a book wordy, but i use that to describe a book with a lot of dialog that isn't interesting to read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom