• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2014. Lots of stores on the way to San Diego sell deodorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh shit! Are the Secret Origin books digital only currently? I haven't seen any on the shelves.

They are a higher price point book, $4.99 so I wouldn't be surprised if most stores didn't pull very many unless they are for subscribers.

I'll say that most of them have been enjoyable even for someone who knows most of the origins like myself; the Superman one was exceptional, IMO.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Am I crazy for really digging the shit out of All-New Doop? Like, Lafuennte is fucking great at cartooning, which yo, I'm all about that, but also, it's Milligan just out-weirding himself every single issue and doing weird meta-exploration of how we become obsessed with extremely minor comic book things in a real goddamn clever way and it's probably his best thing in like, forever.

Also they totally teased something X-Statix related which I'm not gonna believe is actually happening for real and is just him messing with people, related to the obsession with kinda obscure things theme he's got going, like he's fucking daring Marvel to just bring back X-Statix, to see what the fuck happens.

I definitely need to pick up the trade for this when it comes out. That spoiler especially sounds too good.

LosDaddie

Banned
New Marvel Select Hulk is pretty cool. (As is the Nova..just wanted to throw in a normal sized 6 inch figure for scale). I'm on board pretty much anytime Diamond wants to put out a huge figure - most of the Hulks, Abomination,Juggernaut and Rhino have been great.

DSCN3753.jpg

Nice! I have the Avengers Hulk, Red Hulk, and Thanos for my son. He's still too young to play with them, so they're just waiting right now.

I got hooked on Hot Toys, and I'm pretty sure I'll buy every Hulk figure they put out

Penguin

Batman 33 was solid, but that end.

:(

(As an aside, is there anyway to do a GAF post that counts down without manually numbering everything?)

just looking through the classic comics in the batman sale. Man some great arcs there. Death in the Family, Under the Hood, Knightfall, Batman RIP, Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader, Resurrection of Ra's. and there will be more im over looking

tim1138

Just read Zero...

...and the rest of my day is fucked.

Yeah that was harsh, and sadly close to the reality of what the situation was like at the time. I wrote my Master's thesis on that war and the prevalence of rape and sexual assault as a weapon used by all sides involved. It's horrible, revolting stuff.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Y'all are sleeping on Zero Year chat.

I dropped some serious claims and they are just HANGING there

I won't be able to read it until I get home from work, but I am super pumped to do so. It's funny, because after losing interest a little while back I only recently got back into Batman, and now this storyline has had me gripped. Will be interesting to see how they handle going back to the status quo after this.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Stop hyping the end of Zero Year y'all, I'm waiting for the trades >_<

Btw, question for NY Comics GAF : What are the best comic shop in the city? Crossing the atlantic in a few weeks to visit the city and I'm not leaving the city without at least dropping a few bucks for comics stuff.

Stop hyping the end of Zero Year y'all, I'm waiting for the trades >_<

Btw, question for NY Comics GAF : What are the best comic shop in the city? Crossing the atlantic in a few weeks to visit the city and I'm not leaving the city without at least dropping a few bucks for comics stuff.

Best Selectch: Midtown Comics Times Square
Best Shop In The Nation: Bergen Street Comics (Brooklyn)

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Thanks BB, I'm staying near the Midtown one so I'll be sure to drop by it. If I can make it to the Bergen one, I'll visit it too.

Messi

They are a higher price point book, $4.99 so I wouldn't be surprised if most stores didn't pull very many unless they are for subscribers.

I'll say that most of them have been enjoyable even for someone who knows most of the origins like myself; the Superman one was exceptional, IMO.

They Harley one today is the origin for Jimmy and Amandas Harley.

Everybody get this for the Tomasi and Ian Bertram story. And, to a lesser extent, the Snyder and Sean Murphy story.

The one I just got off Comixology didn't have the Tomasi/Bertram story in it, it did have the Snyder/Murphy one though.

It doesn't seem to be the full Detective 27.

The only ones in it are the original Detective 27 story, a modern remake of it, and the Snyder/Murphy story.

Everything else is left out.

fertygo

Bah Batman and Robin 033 is total build-up for Robin Rises 02, quite underwhelming tbh
Although its does very damn exciting

Batfamilly gonna wrecking the shit of aprokolips? fuck yeah

Vyer

As someone who hasn't read Batman in a while, I'm tempted to buy all the discounted collections. Any I should skip over?

Earth One is the only one I wouldn't consider 'essential' of those 2.99 collections. It's not bad though.

Jeez, Batman's getting new toys from all sorts of places.

Now Mezco is doing high-end 6 inch DKR versions w/ cloth uniforms.

This is awesome.

fertygo

Woah, Storm is fucking great, Dayum.. really satisfied with this opening issue.

Supreme Blue Rose
goes total introduction for the opener, but dem sketches in extra pages is gorgeous.

I wish there were more superhero books as engaging month to month, page to page as Daredevil consistently is, but I'm glad its exist at all.

Comixology sale too good to ignore. Picked up some Batman (how can I say no at $2.99 per collection?) and Manhattan Projects, since you guys turned me on to Hickman's Marvel stuff, and I've only heard good things.

tim1138

Zero was not only the best comic of the week, but solidly the best comic of the month. Super depressing, but powerful in the same sense as Dysart's Unknown Soldier (setting fictional beings in situations and atrocities that are sadly taken from actual events).

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Zero was not only the best comic of the week, but solidly the best comic of the month. Super depressing, but powerful in the same sense as Dysart's Unknown Soldier (setting fictional beings in situations and atrocities that are sadly taken from actual events).

Image had better solicit an oversized hardcover for Zero sometime soon. I need to get on that.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Y'all fellas gotta save some Zero talk for later, after I get my issue, and come home and read it, comfortably, on the shitter.

tim1138

I asked Kot how difficult this issue was for him to write (he is originally from that part of the world) and he said he cried at least twice while writing.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I asked Kot how difficult this issue was for him to write (he is originally from that part of the world) and he said he cried at least twice while writing.

You're killin' me, tim. I'll be back later, after I've read it.

I'm a trade waiter for Zero but I just read the final issue of Zero Year. It's my book of the month easy. The team nailed the ending and added so much more lore to the character. Talking gut wrenching emotional stuff here.

Birdie, not far from the truth, one of the best comic stories of our time. Very relevant.

tim1138

Full Zero spoilers below, you've been warned.

Story is set in Bosnia in 1993, at the height of the Bosnian War. Roman Zizek is selling arms to all the involved parties and playing them off one another. We see he has a significant other named Marina who is pregnant (we find out later she's been raped many times so the father of the child is unknown). Roman gets back from a meeting with one of the groups and realizes it's in his and Marina's best interest to leave Bosnia. They get within 4 km of the extraction point and are beset by one of the groups Roman was dealing to. They tell him only two are allowed to leave, not all three. Marina makes the decision for Roman and lets herself get gunned down to save her unborn child. The book ends with Roman holding the child after it had been cut out of her before fading to black.

Cheska

Full Zero spoilers below, you've been warned.

Holy shit! Can't wait to feast my eyes on this beauty.

By the way, is anyone picking up Supreme Blue Rose by Warren Ellis today? I don't have any experience with the character, but apparently she's been around for a while?

By the way, is anyone picking up Supreme Blue Rose by Warren Ellis today? I don't have any experience with the character, but apparently she's been around for a while?

No idea who she is, but I'll definitely be picking it up:
1) The cover looks amazing.
2) It's Ellis.
3) It's Image.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom