• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2014. Lots of stores on the way to San Diego sell deodorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even though I warned you all about how goddamn terrible the Marvel 100th Anniversary issues have been still a majority of you all bought and read them. I am highly disappoint....
mrw-my-friend-uses-my-laptop-and-asks-me-where-my-internet-explorer-is-32384.gif
mrw-my-friend-uses-my-laptop-and-asks-me-where-my-internet-explorer-is-32384.gif

Zombine

Banned
Sandman Overture isn't on a very consistent release schedule, but the two issues we've gotten are some of the highest quality things I've ever read. Dark Horse Presents, Black Beetle, Manhattan Projects, and some other Image books are all up there in quality but don't come close to Saga in sales. IDK

Saga is riding a wave. It's a nonsensical story in a nonsensical universe that uses shock value to get people talking. BKV knows what he's doing, he knows what audience he's going after, and it's the farthest thing from his best work ever. Staples carries that book. Maybe I'll change my opinion once the book is complete, but so far it's horribly overrated. Y is far superior than this.

It's built for this tumblr generation I keep talking about.

Bii

I know a few of you were wondering where I've been these past few weeks. I had the opportunity to do some overtime at a ridiculous pay scale. So, I rewarded myself with some comics...

And I still have more stuff coming in (notably Daredevil: End of Days, a few more of Udon's Street Fighter hardcovers and some Green Lantern trades). I was going to wait to get the grey Hulk at SDCC but green Hulk was only $60, so I grabbed him instead. Though I may still end up getting the grey one if I like it enough. I'm pretty sure I'll be set for a few months with all these trades. Some of the trades I picked up were based on recommendations (Transformers, Hellboy, Thanos Imperative) while others I'm trying to catch up with (Mega Man, Amazing Spider-Man). Now that work has finally slowed down, I can get back to posting again! Yay!

Here's the list if you can't read the spines:
Mega Man volumes 4-6
Green Arrow, Vol. 4: The Killing Machine
Transformers: Last Stand of the Wreckers
Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye volumes 1-5
Daredevil: Born Again
Daredevil: Ultimate Collection Vol. 1
Amazing Spider-Man Big Time: Complete Collection Vol. 2
The Thanos Imperative
X-Men: Days of Future Past
Street Fighter Classic Vol. 1
A Game of Thrones: The Graphic Novel volumes 1-3
Hellboy Library Editions volumes 1-3

Saga is the first good ongoing BKV has done since Ultimate X-Men. Its already more readable than Y the Last Man and Ex Machina have ever been. And it looks better, too. It helps he doesn't have such a easy high concept idea that overrides everything, and his characters don't talk in pop culture references and trivia questions anymore, cuz they're in the future.

and The Private Eye is even better

I don't have a tumblr, but I feel like it's become a go-to site for the comic community.

For better or for worse, it is. While there are lots of overly critical and ridiculously negative comic fans on there, it's a great website to share your favorite panels, pages, images, etc. so I think it's probably the best social networking site for the medium. Lots of creators are on there too, just this morning Sara Pichelli was posting a lot of sketches she did and they were lovely.

Nice pickups Bii, looking forward to your thoughts on The Thanos Imperative! Very interested in what you think of the Street Fighter stuff too, I've been wanting to check out some of the Udon comics but I don't know where to begin.

^That is awesome!

Steve Gerber is rolling in his grave right now. We have a guy who was the HP Lovecraft of this medium who went next to nowhere only to be outsold by a dude who writes like a 16 year old girl who is toying with the idea of becoming a libertarian.

Best I can recommend is that you not read Saga. I read it, and I like it quite a lot. Others do as well. I don't think bitching incessantly about it is going to change anyone's mind.

Parch

Also, I like the idea of the comic club being within the OT. Each of the regulars could get a session, be it weekly or monthly, to pick a comic run of their choice (within reason, I'm not reading any 100+ issue runs in a week).
I don't hang out there anymore, but the CBR boards had "from the beginning" threads where OP would provide a synopsis of each issue of a comic run. Then others could add comments on each issue as they see fit. I used to participate in some of the X-book threads. It was good fun.

Unfortunately it can get a little overwhelming for the OP when it's a large run and the thread eventually gets abandoned.

Zombine

Banned
Best I can recommend is that you not read Saga. I read it, and I like it quite a lot. Others do as well. I don't think bitching incessantly about it is going to change anyone's mind.

I do read it and I do like it. But I have a hard time believing anyone that thinks it's perfect. It isn't. The book is pretty shallow.

I do read it and I do like it. But I have a hard time believing anyone that thinks it's perfect. It isn't.

I don't think anyone ever said that it is. Nothing is. All that really matters is that you enjoy it. A comic doesn't need to be held in the same regard as classic literature for it to have value. This is just another entertainment medium like television or video games.

Zombine

Banned
I don't think anyone ever said that it is. Nothing is. All that really matters is that you enjoy it. A comic doesn't need to be held in the same regard as classic literature for it to have value. This is just another entertainment medium like television or video games.

Exactly. My retort from before wasn't even directed toward fans of the book. I love it. It's silly, it's stupid, and it reminds me of The Fifth Element. My retort was for those people who say that it's the best book ever and that "it's better than your favorite book." It isn't. It's shallow and written with a specific audience in mind.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Saga is riding a wave. It's a nonsensical story in a nonsensical universe that uses shock value to get people talking. BKV knows what he's doing, he knows what audience he's going after, and it's the farthest thing from his best work ever. Staples carries that book. Maybe I'll change my opinion once the book is complete, but so far it's horribly overrated. Y is far superior than this.

Saga makes me wonder if Y the Last Man wasn't as good as I remember it. Maybe I only liked it because I was younger and it was one of my earliest dips into comics upon my return as an adult. Certainly when I read Ex Machina after Y, I found that all over the map in quality. Some good ideas, but a lot of hacky politics and repeated story tropes.

Bii

Nice pickups Bii, looking forward to your thoughts on The Thanos Imperative! Very interested in what you think of the Street Fighter stuff too, I've been wanting to check out some of the Udon comics but I don't know where to begin.

^That is awesome!

I just use the reading order that Udon put out themselves: http://www.udonentertainment.com/blog/udon/udons-street-fighter-comics-reading-order/

1. Street Fighter Classic Volume 1: Hadoken
2. Street Fighter Classic Volume 2: Cannon Spike
3. Street Fighter Classic Volume 3: Psycho Crusher
4. Street Fighter IV: Wages of Sin
5. Super Street Fighter Volume 1: New Generation
6. Super Street Fighter Volume 2: Hyper Fighting (Coming soon!)

SIDE STORIES:
a. Street Fighter Origins: Akuma
b. Street Fighter Legends Ultimate Edition

I do have bullets #2-5 coming in the mail as well as the Akuma side story. I will eventually pick up Hyper Fighting when it's released and will get the Legends Ultimate Edition soon-ish which has Sakura, Chun-Li and Ibuki side stories.

My retort was for those people who say that it's the best book ever and that "it's better than your favorite book." It isn't. It's shallow and written with a specific audience in mind.

People always do that when they find a book they really like, though. It's probably just the novelty.

Zombine

Banned
People always do that when they find a book they really like, though. It's probably just the novelty.

Like, I promise you that I am not trying to steal
any sort of enjoyment away from fans. Fiona Staples is one of the best artists in the industry, and it is a very sweet and personal story that we don't get very often.

I Just find it unfortunate that BKV has figured out that shock value works, and a lot of the success of the book is built around that. Saga is written directly for us, the millennial Tumblr crowd, and we eat it up.

Instead of giving us a close up of Princess robots vagina, why not flesh out the character so I give a fuck when she is murdered.

I fully expect one of the upcoming last page shockers to be Alana or Marko discovering that they have a cold sore or perhaps that their credit card has an unauthorized charge on it.

Zombine

Banned
I fully expect one of the upcoming last page shockers to be Alana or Marko discovering that they have a cold sore or perhaps that their credit card has an unauthorized charge on it.

Also, we're going to find out that the hacker who got the credit card information now has their location and will sell it to prince robot. It's also a green girl with a giraffe head and she flashes her chest to everyone. She also has a female partner that beats her and she looks like a lobster. Then people will talk about how LGBT friendly the book is.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
So thought I'd write a little about Baltimore today. I figure everyone knows enough about Hellboy and BPRD these days and those series get a lot of exposure, but Baltimore is pretty cool since it's Mike working with a different creator than the usual suspects, and probably more significantly it sits in it's own bubble separated from the hellboy universe, meaning it comes with no baggage. Specifically I read volume 3 this week, which is a nice short story collection and very accessible:

That was a great write-up and a pleasure to read! Thanks for that! That sounds like a great premise. Now I really want to check it out. Although since you said you still love Hellboy more, I should probably focus on that first. Haha

That interior art is fantastic!
And so is the sewn binding. Haha

I like it. It's not as amazing as it was hyped up to be but it gets the job done. It's sort of like Invincible with rape.

Ah, gotcha. That's a shame.

I know a few of you were wondering where I've been these past few weeks. I had the opportunity to do some overtime at a ridiculous pay scale. So, I rewarded myself with some comics...

Wow. Now there's an impressive haul.
Glad to have you back!

Also, we're going to find out that the hacker who got the credit card information now has their location and will sell it to prince robot. It's also a green girl with a giraffe head and she flashes her chest to everyone. She also has a female partner that beats her and she looks like a lobster. Then people will talk about how LGBT friendly the book is.

Honestly, my biggest pet peeve is how little actual character development we are getting. I still don't know shit Izabel, for example, she's just around. Even Alana and Marko have only a handle of things we've learned about them. I'd also like more explanation about the war. Also the universe they inhabit. Is it just one system or more? Where do all these aliens come from? How do some of them work? The Robot people don't make any sense; How did The Robot Princess give birth to something with a static, rigid head that should have split her apart? And if they give birth how are they robots? Wouldn't that be cyborgs at best?

I bet Senfield is your favorite TV show too, huh?

I've never heard of Senfield, but I did watch Seinfeld back in the day. It's nowhere near my favorite.

Sandman Overture isn't on a very consistent release schedule, but the two issues we've gotten are some of the highest quality things I've ever read. Dark Horse Presents, Black Beetle, Manhattan Projects, and some other Image books are all up there in quality but don't come close to Saga in sales. IDK

I haven't read Sandman, but I will agree with Manhattan Projects being stellar. There are some very solid releases from Image every month, which I pick up. I consider Saga to be better, though.

I've never used Tumblr. Nice try.

Exactly. My retort from before wasn't even directed toward fans of the book. I love it. It's silly, it's stupid, and it reminds me of The Fifth Element. My retort was for those people who say that it's the best book ever and that "it's better than your favorite book." It isn't. It's shallow and written with a specific audience in mind.

Nonsensical story. Nonsensical universe. Horribly overrated. Shallow. Written with a specific audience in mind.

Congrats! You just described comics in general!

Zombine

Banned
Honestly, my biggest pet peeve is how little actual character development we are getting. I still don't know shit Izabel, for example, she's just around. Even Alana and Marko have only a handle of things we've learned about them. I'd also like more explanation about the war. Also the universe they inhabit. Is it just one system or more? Where do all these aliens come from? How do some of them work? The Robot people don't make any sense; How did The Robot Princess give birth to something with a static, rigid head that should have split her apart? And if they give birth how are they robots? Wouldn't that be cyborgs at best?

Brother you just wouldn't understand. It's too perfect. We don't need depth in Saga. Just melodrama and sex.

See Also: Mark Millar.

Truth. Starlight seems to be his most PC book though.

fertygo

Where all of this sense of critics when you read Earth-2 breh..

Where all of this sense of critics when you read Earth-2 breh..

What about Earth 2 doesn't make sense? And I agree that many of the Earth 2 characters deserve much more character development but at least it has the excuse of having a much larger ensemble cast, one of the benefits that Earth 2: Worlds' End should hopefully alleviate. It also has certain ground rules already in place; I know how Kryptonians, Atlanteans, and the denizens of Apokolips work.

I'll happily critique most books that I read. I just expect and want more from BKV.

Hmm.

I'm not sure how I feel about Forever People #2. Disappointing that the art already shifted. It's not bad, but I kind of dug the feel of the first issue.

PsychBat!

Banned
Even though I warned you all about how goddamn terrible the Marvel 100th Anniversary issues have been still a majority of you all bought and read them. I am highly disappoint....
LOL, I actually agree. I mean, that was the ending to an arc of Spider-Man? It was supposedly an 8-parter, but that's not how you end a story.

I didn't bother reading the X-Men 100th and I saw the preview for the Avengers one and I just gave up on trying to read these things.

Sadist

I'll agree with that, the last X-book I really enjoyed was the Marvel Knights mini which featured Kitty and Rogue.

Although X-Force is shaping up nicely.
Oh, the new X-Force book with Cable, Marrow, Psylocke and others? I heard some good stuff about it. Haven't really read it yet. Maybe I should give it a try, the last X-Force book I enjoyed (Uncanny X-Force) was pretty good. I loved the Apocalypse Solution. But maybe that's because I like Fantomex way too much.

And it has a non-shit version of Deadpool.

In my defense I didn't buy it, I read it but I was not the one who bought it. I still feel dirty and part of the problem though.

I mean really it was just terribly done, and thought out. It really felt like they pulled the shittiest ideas used in the last 30 - 40 years of comics and crammed it into one shitty issue.

X-Men 2099 was better than that crap, and that wasn't even any good in the 90's when it came out.

So good.

The beyond books have been fantastic. Seriously they've been rocking it solidly for awhile now. It's a shame they're digital and most people ignore them.

I actually double dip. Digital first because I NEED IT RIGHT NOW, but then the physical copies too. As a huge fan of the DCAU, it's great to see it continue, even in comic book form.

fauxtrot

Banned
Guys, I'm totally down for a GAF (Comic) Book Club. I've been waiting for Zero Year to complete before starting it, but I'm down to get on it early to talk about it with yous guys (and gals).

I actually double dip. Digital first because I NEED IT RIGHT NOW, but then the physical copies too. As a huge fan of the DCAU, it's great to see it continue, even in comic book form.

I'll second that last bit. I wish we could get another animated movie in that particular universe. The Timm/Diniverse if you will.

I have to be truthful when I say I think the art in JLB is better than BB.

Guys, I'm totally down for a GAF (Comic) Book Club. I've been waiting for Zero Year to complete before starting it, but I'm down to get on it early to talk about it with yous guys (and gals).

I would be down for it, except my schedule is always so damn hectic. Between work and freelance gigs, some weeks are wide open for me and others I have about 10 minutes to myself for the entire week. I think it's a great concept though and I hope people pursue it, just don't think my schedule is going to let me par take.

I'll second that last bit. I wish we could get another animated movie in that particular universe. The Timm/Diniverse if you will.

I have to be truthful when I say I think the art in JLB is better than BB.

Nah son. We need a proper next series. I want something that belongs amongst the holy grouping of Batman TAS->Superman TAS->Justice League/Unlimited->Batman Beyond.

And no need to mince words; I probably enjoy JLB more than BB in general, too.

'bout 1 hour away. My friends are all booked though. It's a hella crazy signing - Los Bros, Jim Mahfood, those aforementioned people, etc. I've met the Killjoys team around the time that book came out though, which was cool

Would have been crazy to be there and all of a sudden Grant Morrison walks in.

You sure? Cost 30-40 bucks to catch up digitally.

Anyways, it begins now.

Bs3JmOQIYAA7Nqn.jpg

tim1138

Would have been crazy to be there and all of a sudden Grant Morrison walks in.

If that was local and you were holding out on me brah, bad things would have happened. Bad things...

And whoever said no comic is perfect is wrong, obviously Manhattan Projects is the most perfect comic to grace anyone's eyeballs. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom