• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2014. Lots of stores on the way to San Diego sell deodorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just read that the Archie people are relaunching their superhero line and rebranding it Dark Circle Comics...

You know what, I'm actually kinda interested. The Fox looks fun. I'm hyped for The Black Hood simply cause I love Duane Swierczynski's crime novels more than his comics. I don't have a strong opinion on the Shield though. Apparently she existed before Captain America, but I'm interested to see how they pull her off. I like her design though, get a Captain Marvel x Captain America feeling. Given how awesome Afterlife with Archie is, and how hyped I am for Sabrina, they have my attention. Right now they seem like pastiches of Captain America, Punisher, and Spider-Man. But I'm still interested.

theshielddesign-2f85e.jpg

Has anyone read the first Fox: Freak Hunt mini series by Mark Waid? Any good?

Bunch of info here: http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2014/07/17/dark-circle-comics-superheroes-exclusive/12778383/

I assume this stuff was posted before, but I just came across it now.

Locke & Key volume 1

Criminal volume 1

Oh christ man, two of the best books I've ever read. You really did yourself justice. Incognito is pretty decent too. In a bubble it would be better but alonside Criminal, it pales so much. The criminal books are just fantastic.

Interested what you think of Sheltered too, I read that a little while ago, wasn't really into it. Felt it had a great premise with zero depth to the characters, which is often a trap with writing about kdis/teenagers.

Among some other things. Did I do good gaf?

That WW volume 1 is amazing, my girlfriend absolutely worships it, and I really dug it too. I think you did great!

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Original Sin #6: This is the point where it no longer matters what issue 7 and 8 do, this event is garbage. We have Strange talking about saving the world without ever having to kill anyone, which they would never do. Steve and Iron Man are working together while Steve is whining to Fury about no more secrets. Fury doing stuff no one cares about...this is as bad as it could be without Cap sitting down more frequently. I now look at Forever Evil, which i hated, and give it new respect. Another sub-par stretched-out Marvel event. Is this what gave Aaron the idea of someone no longer being worthy? Not so random 3/10, pathetic.

So when did Original Sin go wrong? I thought I remember seeing people saying that it was a great story for the first few issues, and now all of a sudden I'm seeing "This event is total garbage."

Y'know, that's a pretty interesting theory, i hadn't thought of that. He's 100% correct, too.

I'm pretty sure I'd be slightly disturbed if you had thought of that, and then you saw that that Warren Ellis quote and were like "You know, I was just thinking about that the other day! Great minds think alike!"

Rat Queens was a'ight to pretty good. Not particularly fond of the continued drug references but again that is a personal thing that does nothing for me.

Outside of that I actually enjoyed the interactions between Dee and her husband. I don't get the complaints some people had about it in some reviews I read. He seems like a surprisingly understanding and tolerant individual to be putting up with being strung along.

The random Ninja Monk montage of
murder was a little excessive
but stylistically cool.

I just read that the Archie people are relaunching their superhero line and rebranding it Dark Circle Comics...

You know what, I'm actually kinda interested. The Fox looks fun. I'm hyped for The Black Hood simply cause I love Duane Swierczynski's crime novels more than his comics. I don't have a strong opinion on the Shield though. Apparently she existed before Captain America, but I'm interested to see how they pull her off. I like her design though, get a Captain Marvel x Captain America feeling. Given how awesome Afterlife with Archie is, and how hyped I am for Sabrina, they have my attention. Right now they seem like pastiches of Captain America, Punisher, and Spider-Man. But I'm still interested.

Has anyone read the first Fox: Freak Hunt mini series by Mark Waid? Any good?

Bunch of info here: http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2014/07/17/dark-circle-comics-superheroes-exclusive/12778383/

I assume this stuff was posted before, but I just came across it now.
Red Circle was a complete bore that went ansolutely nowhere. Don't think I can give Archie the benefitof the doibt this time....

And those are the kind of useless thoughts that perpetuate through Warren Ellis mind that he lasts about as long as a virgin? Fuck off you hack.

And who the fuck thought it would be a good idea to put Brian Wood on Moon Knight? I don't want to read the TNT Original Series of Moon Knight. I want some supernatural, egyptian, psychotic shit going on. New York City os not interesting so stop writing about it. It's beendoneto death.

Messi

Harely Quinn invades Comic Con is a decent idea that gets muddied up because the art is so inconsistent. I really think it would have worked much better with one artist, let's say Amanda Conner. But I see what they were going for. It worked much better in Harley #0. It was nice to see all the different Harley's (I think I even spotted Bombshell Harley in there). As for that one page that was meant to shock people... I didn't like it. Overall a decent book but I'm glad to be back to normal issues now.

Issue 23 is done. This was a fantastic issue with lots of symbolism. First we have the leader of the Red Hood Gang(Joker?) telling Bruce that what inspired his criminal behavior was the pure senselessness of his parents death. He saw how chaos was the ultimate agent of fear.

Next, even a young Bruce, you get to see why he is considered a "super hero" for how resilient he is. He took a brutal beating and fought to survive. This issue has one of my favorite backup stories in any comic I have ever read that really reinforces this idea.

Then we have the recreation of most iconic moments in Batmans history. This is where I think Snyder and Capullo are geniuses, they never set out to create a new origin, but simply to show different angles. They always pay homage to the source material. "Yes father, I shall become a bat."

phoenixyz

I finally finished this weeks comics:
Batman Eternal #15 I was wondering when they are going to pick up that story thread. I am still hooked. Art was great this issue.

Magneto #7 Fuckin-shit-up-Magneto is best Magneto. But the overarching story? I don't know, it's starting to bore me a little bit. But I don't know much about the Marvel universe, maybe that's why.

Robin Rises Omega #1 While the
big fight and its aftermath
was pretty cool, I liked the first few pages (the "canon-unifier") the most.

Teen Titans #1 Surprisingly good. I haven't read the first Nu52 TT run though (or anything TT for that matter). Really dig the art. Will stay on board for now.

The Wicked + The Divine #2 This is starting to become another Deadly Class for me. Universally praised by ComicGAF I am already thinking of dropping this. I just don't care very much about the characters. Also the art is mostly bland imho. Some frames look pretty good (like
Lucifers transformation
) though. This "clean look" (I don't know how you call it) is executed much better in Nowhere Men, at least for my tastes.

Harley Quinn Invades Comic-Con Somewhat underwhelming. I really enjoy the Harley monthly but this One-Shot felt overlong and forced. "Look at how funny all the fourth wall breaking is lol xD". Yea, no.

Zombine

Banned
Issue 23 is done. This was a fantastic issue with lots of symbolism. First we have the leader of the Red Hood Gang(Joker?) telling Bruce that what inspired his criminal behavior was the pure senselessness of his parents death. He saw how chaos was the ultimate agent of fear.

Next, even a young Bruce, you get to see why he is considered a "super hero" for how resilient he is. He took a brutal beating and fought to survive. This issue has one of my favorite backup stories in any comic I have ever read that really reinforces this idea.

Then we have the recreation of most iconic moments in Batmans history. This is where I think Snyder and Capullo are geniuses, they never set out to create a new origin, but simply to show different angles. They always pay homage to the source material. "Yes father, I shall become a bat."

The hype in this post is making me want to get into Zero Year right now.

OH wow. Just as a followup to some of the baltimore stuff I was writing about yesterday, I read through volume 4 today and oh boy, what a game changer. I really hope people don't sleep on this series. Ironically, I wrote a lot yesterday about the general premise and set-up and how the basic structure of a baltimore story goes. Well, everything changes as of this volume. Every where the premise has been leading, all plot threads come together between the two stories, and much like the first few original Hellboy mini-series, suddenly you realise it was all going somewhere bigger, and everything you thought you knew and where this series would end was just a glimpse at the full picture. Between the infernal train and chapel of bones, there is some fantastic twists and turns and it really feels like the series is about to launch into its next phase, with pretty much everything that came before bookended here, and plenty of new stuff teased ahead, and new characters introduced. I would really recommend anyone who's thought about the series to check the book out.

phoenixyz

Time for some list

Batman #33
Batman and Robin #33
Batman Eternal #16
Secret Origins #1

Saga #21
Supreme Blue Rose #1
Trees #3

Also Zero, but I am tradewaiting.

Zombine

Banned
My biggest comic travesty of the past 3 years has been ignoring Snyder's Batman. I don't even know how I want to begin catching up.

OH wow. Just as a followup to some of the baltimore stuff I was writing about yesterday, I read through volume 4 today and oh boy, what a game changer. I really hope people don't sleep on this series. Ironically, I wrote a lot yesterday about the general premise and set-up and how the basic structure of a baltimore story goes. Well, everything changes as of this volume. Every where the premise has been leading, all plot threads come together between the two stories, and much like the first few original Hellboy mini-series, suddenly you realise it was all going somewhere bigger, and everything you thought you knew and where this series would end was just a glimpse at the full picture. Between the infernal train and chapel of bones, there is some fantastic twists and turns and it really feels like the series is about to launch into its next phase, with pretty much everything that came before bookended here, and plenty of new stuff teased ahead, and new characters introduced. I would really recommend anyone who's thought about the series to check the book out.

It's the one gap in my Mignola ouvre. Gotta get on it.

Speaking of Goden, you ever read The Lost Army? The Hellboy books are so weird and uneven and this is no exception.

I'm sorry, who?

I don't know if you're being serious or just joking but Lady Sif from Asgard

I'm just really sad that we're getting this new female Thor after Journey Into Mystery got cancelled. Sif was boss.

Zombine, you ever read Batman The Black Mirror? It was my first exposure to Snyder's Batman and it was dope. Highly recommend it.

It's the one gap in my Mignola ouvre. Gotta get on it.

Speaking of Goden, you ever read The Lost Army? The Hellboy books are so weird and uneven and this is no exception.

It's really great man, you'll love it. The first two volumes, the pacing was a little off, but they really tore it up with 3 and 4, managing to show they can really do it all, small and creepy one and done stories and big grand mythology driven stormers . There's a new artist coming on as of the next series, Peter Bergting, who looks pretty great. A bit of a rougher style than Stenbeck, but I'm just super pumped now to see what happens next. Golden really put himself up there for me with those two volumes.

I haven't read his Hellboy novels no, I did try and read the Baltimore novel once before, and I read a little of the uncharted novel he did, but my prose tastes are so very narrow and snobby. I basically only read Stephen King and tend to find everything else lacking haha. I want to stretch out but I don't know where to. My lack of love for Golden's prose is what keeps me holding out hope they'll do a Joe Golem comic.

I'm just really sad that we're getting this new female Thor after Journey Into Mystery got cancelled. Sif was boss.

Zombine, you ever read Batman The Black Mirror? It was my first exposure to Snyder's Batman and it was dope. Highly recommend it.

Not Zombine but I got it for cheap and have it sitting on my shelf now.

Good impressions make me want to read it. Nice.

I'm teasing. Trust me, I know what it's like to be fond of something niche.

My biggest comic travesty of the past 3 years has been ignoring Snyder's Batman. I don't even know how I want to begin catching up.

You are history's greatest monster.

Get the trades for the Talons and Zero Year.

Owzers

So when did Original Sin go wrong? I thought I remember seeing people saying that it was a great story for the first few issues, and now all of a sudden I'm seeing "This event is total garbage."

I was somewhat enjoying it right up until
The Orb made the eyeball secrets explode in issue 3 or 4 i think, and then in Avengers 29 Steve remembered that Tony and the Illumanti mind wiped him and i was on board. Then in Avengers 30 they go to the future due to the time gem and abandon that plot flow entirely and Aaron ignores everything Hickman is doing with New Avengers and Avengers and throws Original Sin ENTIRELY behind Nick Fury's one man army past both in issue #5 that is devoted entirely to this and then in issue #6 which brings the Avengers into the mix as well with a tease of #7 being more Fury. The book has been narrowed so heavily to only be about Fury that it chopped off anything interesting that could have happened with this series, and instead solely focuses on the least interesting aspect
Original Sin was sold as the secrets of the Marvel Universe being revealed, and if that's the case, Marvel should have done a one shot featuring the orb and the watcher eyeballs and then had the secrets exposed stuff take place in the individual books, but that wouldn't get them 8 issues of event money and that's all that matters.

I was somewhat enjoying it right up until
The Orb made the eyeball secrets explode in issue 3 or 4 i think, and then in Avengers 29 Steve remembered that Tony and the Illumanti mind wiped him and i was on board. Then in Avengers 30 they go to the future due to the time gem and abandon that plot flow entirely and Aaron ignores everything Hickman is doing with New Avengers and Avengers and throws Original Sin ENTIRELY behind Nick Fury's one man army past both in issue #5 that is devoted entirely to this and then in issue #6 which brings the Avengers into the mix as well with a tease of #7 being more Fury. The book has been narrowed so heavily to only be about Fury that it chopped off anything interesting that could have happened with this series, and instead solely focuses on the least interesting aspect
Original Sin was sold as the secrets of the Marvel Universe being revealed, and if that's the case, Marvel should have done a one shot featuring the orb and the watcher eyeballs and then had the secrets exposed stuff take place in the individual books, but that wouldn't get them 8 issues of event money and that's all that matters.
Events have a habit ofdoing that last spoilered sentenced....

Zombine

Banned

Never and I admit that openly. I have also never read any of Morrison's run. Pre-New 52 I was up on my Batman, but when I got back into reading back in 2011 I leaned heavily toward Marvel Now and missed out on a whole lot.

Edit: I hopped back on for Death Of The Family, lol'd a bit, read up to Zero Year Issue 2, lol'd a bit, and gave up. Worst decision I've made.

The only Bat Book I currently pull is Detective Comics and I started Robin Rises Omega.

Messi

I'm teasing. Trust me, I know what it's like to be fond of something niche.

You are history's greatest monster.

Get the trades for the Talons and Zero Year.

Why would he skip the best arc? Death of the family. If you just read that trade without the tie ins it's super tight.

Zombine, just read all of Snyders Batman. It's quality reading.

Zombine

Banned
Zombine, just read all of Snyders Batman. It's quality reading.

I know...I'm not so sure what I was thinking at first to be honest. I think it was budgetary if I can remember. This past year has been the first time in my life where I bleed cash, so now I am free to read what I feel like. Had I been making the money I make now I would probably be telling you guys a different story.

fertygo

Never and I admit that openly. I have also never read any of Morrison's run. Pre-New 52 I was up on my Batman, but when I got back into reading back in 2011 I leaned heavily toward Marvel Now and missed out on a whole lot.

Edit: I hopped back on for Death Of The Family, lol'd a bit, read up to Zero Year Issue 2, lol'd a bit, and gave up. Worst decision I've made.

The only Bat Book I currently pull is Detective Comics and I started Robin Rises Omega.

Forget Snyder's then, get Tomasi's instead :D

Never and I admit that openly. I have also never read any of Morrison's run.

Dude you are seriously missing out. Batman & Robin was my first exposure to Morrison and I fell in love the minute I started it. Probably my favorite Bat comic ever.

I cannot wait for Absolute Batman Inc.

A Legend is Born.

Bs_r6nCIIAELnl1.jpg

Issue 24 is a monster $6.99 issue and worth every penny. There is so much Bat-lore in here. First off, to quote Frank Miller talking to Scott Snyder, "you gave him a damn good haircut". They give him a military buzz-cut and it fits the theme so well. Greg Capullo explains it as Bruce is going to war. Love the hair cut.

Some of my favorite homages.

The Detective Comics 27 cover.
Bs_sRoeIIAAq1lN.jpg

The Dark Knight Returns TV panels.
Bs_sIusIgAApTd0.jpg

The Animated Series Batman
Bs_scUkIMAE5RyW.jpg

This issue is the birth of the whole Batman mythos. Snyder captures the history of Batman perfectly. The yin and yang relationship of the Joker and Batman. The Alfred and Bruce relationship. And the the start of the Gordon relationship. And biggest of all, Bruce/Batmans relationship with Gotham City.

A++++++++

Messi

Lots of signs pointing to yes. Remember the Death of the Family story where he dresses up Harley as a Red Hood? At Ace Chemical. Where it all began.

Yeah but I just figured that was a nod to Red Hood. How odd. I just assumed Joker came from nowhere. He seems slightly more sane as Red Hood.

Yeah but I just figured that was a nod to Red Hood. How odd. I just assumed Joker came from nowhere. He seems slightly more sane as Red Hood.

That's the point. In this issue, he figures out Batman was the vigilante in the earlier issues. That he transformed. Soon he falls in the acid and he is transformed into his more dynamic character. The Joker.

Messi

Haha, that's awesome. You're gonna have fun rereading those now, if you didn't read it from that angle before.

That's the point. In this issue, he figures out Batman was the vigilante in the earlier issues. That he transformed. Soon he falls in the acid and he is transformed into his more dynamic character. The Joker.

Wasn't Jokers origin always Red Hood?

Then how the hell doesn't Joker know Batman is Bruce Wayne after the blimp incident. He clearly sees his face. Is that just down to comics lol?

I always thought we didn't know his origin. Or he always lies about his origin.

Then how the hell doesn't Joker know Batman is Bruce Wayne after the blimp incident. He clearly sees his face. Is that just down to comics lol?

The way I'm writing my recaps here is not to spoil the story. Snyder explains his take on Red Hood/Joker near the end.

Also, I don't think he saw his face.

Wasn't Jokers origin always Red Hood?

It's been both. Different interpretations before and after various crises'. This is Snyder's take. Or at least one possibility. I'm sure they won't ever out and out have him say it, to leave room for other writer's takes, but it's pretty clear this is Snyder's version.

(Btw, not engaging in the chat much because I've not finished Zero Year, but as most of you know, I absolutely love Snyder and his take on Batman. Really feel like it's always going to be the definitive take on batman for me, and definitely prefer Snyder's take to Morrison a lot - totally personal preference though and very different)

Didn't death of the family end with a flashbacks of Bruce telling joker who he is and joker didn't give a shit?

Why don't I remember this. I feel like the last bit was the fly in the batcave

You definitely want to go back and read death of the family and zero year with this stuff in mind - the first half of ZY I've read and DoTF very much play of each other and what Snyder revealed in each or at least leaves open for you to interpret. Joker and Bruce's knowledge of each other's identities or lack of knowledge is definitely covered in both. He write sit in a way though that you can take it your own way if you like though, and that other writer's could if they want, to leave room for other interpretations I assume - I don't know if anything really concrete and definitive is in the second half of ZY.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom