• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2016. The Manhattan Project

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty much. Marvel has a hard time introducing new characters that stick (well in this case its not even new characters) for as long as I can remember.

That's just comics. People like what they know (or creators they know, which is what makes Image work).

How are the old Squadron Supreme comics? I see there's was an omnibus released this week.

I don't know the contents, but the old Gruenwald mini (well, it was 12 issues so it was more of a maxi) is excellent and way ahead of its' time.

Is DC the same then?

They went more the legacy hero route in the 80s-90s. Wally as Flash, Kyle as GL, the influx of new Super and Bat characters. They raided their past history for JSA. They also straight up bought other characters like Shazam and all the Charlton Comics ones (The Question, Blue Beetle, Captain Atom, a few others) who were, of course, originally bought so they could be the stars of what went on to be Watchmen.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Is DC the same then?

Do they have trouble introducing new characters? Sure.

That's where legacy characters have helped them in the past. It gives people a brand that they know and understand while being able to introduce something new.

Does anyone know the last new character they've given an ongoing solo to?

Would Cyborg count?

I don't know the contents, but the old Gruenwald mini (well, it was 12 issues so it was more of a maxi) is excellent and way ahead of its' time.

AVENGERS (1963) #69-70, #85-86, #141-144 and #147-149; THOR (1966) #280; DEFENDERS (1972) #112-114; SQUADRON SUPREME (1985) #1-12; CAPTAIN AMERICA (1968) #314; SQUADRON SUPREME: DEATH OF A UNIVERSE QUASAR #13-16 and #51-52; AVENGERS (1998) #5-6; AVENGERS/SQUADRON SUPREME ANNUAL '98; SQUADRON SUPREME: NEW WORLD ORDER EXILES (2001) #77-78 and ULTIMATE POWER #7-9.

http://marvel.com/comics/issue/10985/squadron_supreme_1985_1

Hmm. That seems to be available on MU. I will give that a shot, thanks!

tim1138

Pretty much. Marvel has a hard time introducing new characters that stick (well in this case its not even new characters) for as long as I can remember.

I think the bigger issue is that this creator owned world, creators have become loathe to create new IP for either of the big 2 that they will not own or have any rights to

where is gameproff's avatar from anyways? iirc it's not a facepalm for real but i can't remember what the context was other than i think he was crying?

Amazing Spider-Man #75, from Stan Lee, John "Ring-a-Ding" Romita Sr, and Jim Mooney. This the end of a four-part saga of sorts(rare back in those days) of Silvermane getting this magical Stone Tablet that gave him the power of youth! Unfortunately, its one of those be careful what you wish for things cuz he kept getting younger and younger until...

romitaspidey14.jpg

there's another guy on the board who has the cover art as an avatar too

Spiderman+75+-+cover.png

TheFlow

Banned
Amazing Spider-Man #75, from Stan Lee, John "Ring-a-Ding" Romita Sr, and Jim Mooney. This the end of a four-part saga of sorts(rare back in those days) of Silvermane getting this magical Stone Tablet that gave him the power of youth! Unfortunately, its one of those be careful what you wish for things cuz he kept getting younger and younger until...

romitaspidey14.jpg
Makes sense

diaspora

For the latest Amazing Spider-Man, Peter shouldn't have hit Tony.
I get why he would want to though, it's like if someone upgraded War Machine then proceeded to give Tony tech/business advice which I'm sure wouldn't end well.

Would Cyborg count?

Jim Corrigan in Gotham by Midnight? He's not really new though, he's from Gotham Central.

There's also Telos (started in Convergence) but I don't think anyone here even read that. I know I didn't.

And Midnighter I guess, unless he had a series during the Wildstorm era.

Messi

I didn't read Superman Rebirth after not enjoying the first 3 rebirth books. But I think I would like to try it. But I hear its a confusing start, what book do I need to read to make sense of it, what issues?

Would Cyborg count?

I asked this in the Ask Slayven thread about latest non-derivative characters where they were leads in their own series (either DC or Marvel). He seemed to think Nightmask or Starbrand back in the 80s.

also, let me just say that not only is there another great issue of Casanova this week, but there is a gun fight in Stray Bullets that is probably the best comic book gun fight you've ever seen

So pick up those comics if you like comics, and if you're feeling down on comics cuz Batman and Superman Rebirth were kinda boring

Zombine

Banned
Marvel has a hard time introducing new characters like Kamala Khan, Spider-Gwen, Jane Thor, Sam Cap, Captain Marvel, etc.

Messi

Do they have trouble introducing new characters? Sure.

That's where legacy characters have helped them in the past. It gives people a brand that they know and understand while being able to introduce something new.

Would Cyborg count?

Talon? I know the name has been used before but isnt he a new character spinning out of the court of owls? he got a solo book, no?

Marvel has a hard time introducing new characters like Kamala Khan, Spider-Gwen, Jane Thor, Sam Cap, Captain Marvel, etc.

lol

tim1138

Jim Corrigan in Gotham by Midnight? He's not really new though, he's from Gotham Central.

There's also Telos (started in Convergence) but I don't think anyone here even read that. I know I didn't.

And Midnighter I guess, unless he had a series during the Wildstorm era.

Corrigan is hardly a new character, he dates back to the 40s and there's been multiple Spectre comics over the years going back to the 60s. Midnighter had a Wildstorm solo book.

On the DC side, Telos would be the newest and then Green Lanterns with Jessica Cruz and Simon Baz. For Marvel it'd be Moon Girl, unless there's someone newer I can't remember.

I didn't read Superman Rebirth after not enjoying the first 3 rebirth books. But I think I would like to try it. But I hear its a confusing start, what book do I need to read to make sense of it, what issues?

If you really want to, there is Final Days of Superman Crossover (I think this is the right order):
Superman #51
Batman/Superman #31
Action Comics #51
Superman/Wonder Woman #28
Batman/Superman #32
Action Comics #52
Superman/Wonder Woman #29
Superman #52

and also Superman: Lois & Clark #1-8

They're not 100% necessary, but they add a lot of context, and are pretty excellent on the whole, the crossover especially.

Corrigan is hardly a new character, he dates back to the 40s

Wiki says there are three characters with the same name. The Golden Age one, one in the 70s who was black, and the Gotham Central version.

Messi

If you really want to, there is Final Days of Superman Crossover (I think this is the right order):
Superman #51
Batman/Superman #31
Action Comics #51
Batman/Superman #32
Action Comics #52
Superman #52

They're not 100% necessary, but they add a lot of context, and are pretty excellent on the whole, the crossover especially.

Wiki says there are three characters with the same name. The Golden Age one, one in the 70s who was black, and the Gotham Central version.

Thanks for the list

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

True, even if only 2 of those characters are actually new. I mean, Carol really? It was a costume change bro. And saying Sam is new is like saying bucky as Cap was new. Sam will probably go back to his Falcon ways soon enough.

Messi

True, even if only 2 of those characters are actually new. I mean, Carol really? It was a costume change bro. And saying Sam is new is like saying bucky as Cap was new. Sam will probably go back to his Falcon ways soon enough.

Only one person in that list isn't around a fairly long time and even she is using someone elses name. Zombone pls

Does Silk count?

tim1138

Superman #51
Batman/Superman #31
Action Comics #51
Batman/Superman #32
Action Comics #52
Superman #52

The New 52 Corrigan was essentially an amalgamation of classic Corrigan and 2000's Corrigan, needless to say, the concept of a police detective named Jim Corrigan who hosts the Spectre is hardly new.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Only one person in that list isn't around a fairly long time and even she is using someone elses name. Zombone pls

Does Silk count?

I'd count Silk, because I think you have to count legacy characters, otherwise I can't think of any.

Miles Morales was who I was thinking of (because I completely forgot about Starburns and Nightmask).

Owzers

New favorite thing to do...pick Mei on attack maps and put an ice wall up by our exit point and then switch characters well before the game begins so not to go through with ruining everything.

Miles Morales was who I was thinking of (because I completely forgot about Starburns and Nightmask).

There was a Star Brand in the New Universe comics in the 80s. I only know this because of Exiles: Worlds Tour. I've never read any of the actual 80s New Universe stuff, just Ellis' newuniversal.

Messi

Ah, ok. I haven't read anything with her in it. I thought she was introduced during the Spider-verse event.

Right before and her first big conflict was Spider-Verse (her second conflict was when Tana Ford took over on art btw). She was locked in a bunker for 10 years and when Peter releases her the Inheritors can sense her blood and come for her if I remember correctly kicking off Spider-Verse.

Messi

Blizzard created 20 great new heroes (and Bastion) in one swoop. Why can't marvel create more than 1 or 2??

Boogiepop

You know, I don't think I ever actually discussed this on here. So, random rant, but there actually one thing that's always bugged me about Watchmen. (Spoiling the ending of the comic, so I'll tag it just to be safe). Why the hell did
the genetically engineered space squid need to be psychic? Like, it's been a while since I read it, but that whole plot point was "the psychic backlash kills everyone in the city" or whatever, right? So couldn't it have just been some other, more grounded way of causing mass deaths? Like, this single plot point means that being psychic is a thing in the Watchmen universe (which is fairly grounded outside of Manhattan), and that it can be copied by cloning the brain, and then also that making the brain really big apparently amplifies the powers.
Always bugged the hell out of me, and I actually don't mind the movie changing it (though I've heard people raise valid complaints about what it was changed to as well, of course).

Foofaraw

Your definition of a new character is very loose isn't it lol
Devil Dinosaur, a Kirby character from 78. Super new.

No one is talking about Power Rangers Pink. I think this mini has legit potential, and I really like the new Pink Ranger costume. Takes place after Kimberly leaves the Rangers, has Mad Max references, and is written by the folks that brought us Gotham Academy. I don't know what more I want in comics. Loads of fun and well drawn.

Superman Rebirth: OK. Haven't read any Superman since Morrisons Action comics. Easy enough to follow, but not a good one shot.

Green Arrow: Everybody was right. This is the real deal. Gonna get on this train.

Green Lantern: Why did I buy this? I don't like GL and there were no Kirby dots. Why bother drawing space without Kirby dots? Scriver is the most house style artist possible. I was thinking about trying all the Rebirth titles, but this really changed that idea.

So, I might break the digital seal and get all of Batman N52. Does it read well on its own or does it require other books to get the full story at points?

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
So, I might break the digital seal and get all of Batman N52. Does it read well on its own or does it require other books to get the full story at points?

Mostly good on its own. There's some bat book cross overs in a few places, but it's mostly side story stuff to fill out the story.

You know, I don't think I ever actually discussed this on here. So, random rant, but there actually one thing that's always bugged me about Watchmen. (Spoiling the ending of the comic, so I'll tag it just to be safe). Why the hell did
the genetically engineered space squid need to be psychic? Like, it's been a while since I read it, but that whole plot point was "the psychic backlash kills everyone in the city" or whatever, right? So couldn't it have just been some other, more grounded way of causing mass deaths? Like, this single plot point means that being psychic is a thing in the Watchmen universe (which is fairly grounded outside of Manhattan), and that it can be copied by cloning the brain, and then also that making the brain really big apparently amplifies the powers.
Always bugged the hell out of me, and I actually don't mind the movie changing it (though I've heard people raise valid complaints about what it was changed to as well, of course).

But no one in the Watchmen world knows the squid was created right? Veidt wanted the threat to be something the the world has never seen before. And Psychic Waves are completely new to the public at large, like you mentioned.

Messi

No one is talking about Power Rangers Pink. I think this mini has legit potential, and I really like the new Pink Ranger costume. Takes place after Kimberly leaves the Rangers, has Mad Max references, and is written by the folks that brought us Gotham Academy. I don't know what more I want in comics. Loads of fun and well drawn.

Superman Rebirth: OK. Haven't read any Superman since Morrisons Action comics. Easy enough to follow, but not a good one shot.

Green Arrow: Everybody was right. This is the real deal. Gonna get on this train.

Green Lantern: Why did I buy this? I don't like GL and there were no Kirby dots. Why bother drawing space without Kirby dots? Scriver is the most house style artist possible. I was thinking about trying all the Rebirth titles, but this really changed that idea.

I was super curious about this, I flicked through it in the store and thought it looked good. I hoped it would be good as she was my fave ranger growing up. Glad it showed promise. I will buy it on cmx.

Batman is pretty much self contained, IIRC.

EvS isn't one of the regular artists on GLs, btw.

Top Bottom