• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2016. The Manhattan Project

Messi

The art when Land isn't on Uncanny X-Men is so much better. But we know land is coming back soon. I like these characters but Land is killing me.

RE: Green Arrow #1's art

Talking to someone about the issue/Schmidt's pencils. They said
"I didn't know thick Black Canary was a thing I wanted, but now I really do".

The art when Land isn't on Uncanny X-Men is so much better. But we know land is coming back soon. I like these characters but Land is killing me.

I'm not sure how much more I can take, close to dropping and this is pretty close to my X-Men dream team

So bummed he's coming back

Messi

Nooooooooooooo.

Scarlet was so good. And then "To be continued... Next year."

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

tumblr_nw6kx0mwMQ1qgb6fmo2_500.gif

No thanks Bendis. I'm done.

Damn, I know IST doesn't have the fastest shipping in the world, but I placed an order on Sunday and chose the FedEx shipping option for $2.75 more. They shipped it today and it's expected to arrive next Tuesday! :(

How much slower is the regular media mail option! 0_0

EDIT: Tracking updated and it now shows that it'll be arriving on Saturday, which seems more realistic.

The fact that All New X-Men is a decent read, Battle of the Atom and horrible young Jean aside?
I liked Bendis' book, but this one is not as good as that and it doesn't even have Young Jean.
So far beast has:

Taken a verbal lashing from The Watcher.

The end of Uncanny, him driving off.

Also keep in mind in Eva's weird future, she fights some Mega Beast thing. Wonder if it's a slow build up to show the slow folly of Hank McCoy.
We haven't seen the Trial of Hank McCoy yet, but according to Eva it's supposed to occur in every timeline, including this one. I don't know if that'll ever be followed up on, but it's out there.

Besides, we know now that Beast did shit with the Illuminati and now he's with the Inhumans.
I'm not sure how much more I can take, close to dropping and this is pretty close to my X-Men dream team

So bummed he's coming back

Him leaving is the only reason I've kept it
The more you guys talk about All New X-Men the worse it sounds. Keep up the good work guys.

It's not even a bad book. It's not above decent, but it's not bad either.

Sandfox

Now that you mention it, that is really interesting. He's becoming more like the current Hank, even though like most of the O5, he didn't want to.
I like how Hopeless is handling Hank vs Bendis. Moving Jean off the team means all that focus goes to other characters.

I like how Hopeless is handling Hank vs Bendis. Moving Jean off the team means all that focus goes to other characters.

Yeah, but it hasn't been that great anyways. What are the others doing? Warren's off somewhere moping and Bobby's arc begins and ends at "I'm gay." All Scott did was whine for a little bit and get the shit kicked out of him.

Sandfox

Yeah, but it hasn't been that great anyways. What are the others doing? Warren's off somewhere moping and Bobby's arc begins and ends at "I'm gay." All Scott did was whine for a little bit and get the shit kicked out of him.

In the 10 issues we've gotten so far there has been stories for
Wolverine, Cyclops, Beast, and Evan
with the next arc seemingly focusing on
Angel and Wolverine
. I enjoyed the previous run, but personally I like how different this run is from what Bendis was doing after 41 issues. I'm also convinced that writers have no idea what to do with Bobby past or present post-schism.

In the 10 issues we've gotten so far there has been stories for
Wolverine, Cyclops, Beast, and Evan
with the next arc seemingly focusing on
Angel and Wolverine
. I enjoyed the previous run, but personally I like how different this run is from what Bendis was doing after 41 issues. I'm also convinced that writers have no idea what to do with Bobby past or present post-schism.

I did enjoy Cyclops' arc to a degree. I do think he was way too whiny, and it grated on me a bit. Angel and Wolverine, though, I just haven't particularly liked. They haven't really had anything as individuals and it feels like it's just been about their relationship. Granted, they had something, but it didn't feel great. I didn't bring up Evan or Idie because I speaking specifically to the O5. But yeah, Bobby is nothing. He exists.

Although, if they're doing arcs in pairs, then Bobby and Idie will get an arc.

Warren and Laura are awful. It's a shame because Laura is a superstar in her own book. Here she's just kind of shitty and stupid.

And Warren is kind of a whiny bitch for a dude with cosmic powers

Sandfox

I did enjoy Cyclops' arc to a degree. I do think he was way too whiny, and it grated on me a bit. Angel and Wolverine, though, I just haven't particularly liked. They haven't really had anything as individuals and it feels like it's just been about their relationship. Granted, they had something, but it didn't feel great. I didn't bring up Evan or Idie because I speaking specifically to the O5. But yeah, Bobby is nothing. He exists.

Although, if they're doing arcs in pairs, then Bobby and Idie will get an arc.

Warren and Laura are awful. It's a shame because Laura is a superstar in her own book. Here she's just kind of shitty and stupid.

Their relationship is kinda just there to give Warren something to do and give Wolverine someone to care about as a sort of representation of her growth as a human being Hopefully that changes when they get a bigger focus.

And I didn't realize that Klaus was already on episode 6. Has anyone been reading that?

Yo! It's been cool. Straightforward, kind of a so-evil-it's-comical villain but terrific main character and origin story. I'm really looking forward to reading the new issue. I'll even go so far as to say I'm a little sad it's ending.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Yo! It's been cool. Straightforward, kind of a so-evil-it's-comical villain but terrific main character and origin story. I'm really looking forward to reading the new issue. I'll even go so far as to say I'm a little sad it's ending.

Oh, nice. Glad you've been liking it. Also glad for you pretending not to notice that I said episode instead of issue.

VanWinkle

Finally starting to read the Giant-Sized X-Men OHC, and I already love it. First comic experience with X-Men. Even the OLD stuff is great and I usually have a hard time reading the older comics. That Classic X-Men #1 issue by Claremont was genuinely great. Like dialog and character personalities were startlingly well-done for the time period.

Here's what is in the OHC:

I'm only up to the X-Men Origins stuff but yeah it's great stuff. I know there are decades of great X-Men comics I can read after this, but I'm going to go to All-New X-Men after this since I already have a few OHC volumes of it. I can always go back and start reading older stuff afterwards.

Finally starting to read the Giant-Sized X-Men OHC, and I already love it. First comic experience with X-Men. Even the OLD stuff is great and I usually have a hard time reading the older comics. That Classic X-Men #1 issue by Claremont was genuinely great. Like dialog and character personalities were startlingly well-done for the time period.

I'm only up to the X-Men Origins stuff but yeah it's great stuff. I know there are decades of great X-Men comics I can read after this, but I'm going to go to All-New X-Men after this since I already have a few OHC volumes of it. I can always go back and start reading older stuff afterwards.

VanWrinkle, I forget if you've read it but, if you haven't, check out the X-Statix omni when you can. It may be going OOP and it's amazing. I slept on it too long.

VanWinkle

VanWrinkle, I forget if you've read it but, if you haven't, check out the X-Statix omni when you can. It may be going OOP and it's amazing. I slept on it too long.

I know man I really need to get it. I've been wanting it forever. It's just hard to make that ~$60 purchase. I should just get it though, since it probably won't be that cheap for much longer.

Civil War II #1
Why is
Jean Grey
in this universe?
I thought she died in the Dark Phoenix saga? I assume this is a new Jean Grey?

Civil War II #2
This has got to be my favorite panel of this issue. Actually made me laugh.
SPECGSu.png

Tony's expression is priceless.

Civil War II: X-Men #1
My favorite page from this issue was this one:
It's nice to see
all the X-Men working together...at least for the time being.

I know man I really need to get it. I've been wanting it forever. It's just hard to make that ~$60 purchase. I should just get it though, since it probably won't be that cheap for much longer.
Yeah I scooped a copy off Amazon for ~$50 and it was totally worth it. It's like 1200 pages and it's so, so good. I think you'd like it a lot.

Their relationship is kinda just there to give Warren something to do and give Wolverine someone to care about as a sort of representation of her growth as a human being Hopefully that changes when they get a bigger focus.
It's been grating to read, though. Everyone's getting their collective ass kicked by Blob, what does Warren do? "Laura y u do dis?!" all the damn time. Doesn't even help for most of it. Fuck that kid.

I wish I could experience Claremont's run through the Dark Phoenix Saga for the first time all over again. You lucky son of a bitch.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Civil War II #1
Why is
Jean Grey
in this universe?
I thought she died in the Dark Phoenix saga? I assume this is a new Jean Grey?

Young Jean Grey brought forward through time with the other original five X-Men by Beast. That story is in Bendis' X-books, and they're still around.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Young Jean Grey brought forward through time with the other original five X-Men by Beast. That story is in Bendis' X-books, and they're still around.

Does this mean that in this universe there's now a double of 5 X-Men? Besides Scott, which I think died in Secret Wars, unless he was brought back.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Does this mean there in this universe there's now a double of 5 X-Men? Besides Scott, which I think died in Secret Wars, unless he was brought back.

Two Beasts (one blue, one not)
Two Ice Men (one gay, one super closeted or something, I don't know)
One Angel? What happened to the old one? Last I saw was in X-Force.
One Jean Grey, other
died in Morrison's New X-Men
One Cyclops, other died in Secret Wars or something.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Two Beasts (one blue, one not)
Two Ice Men (one gay, one super closeted or something, I don't know)
One Angel? What happened to the old one? Last I saw was in X-Force.
One Jean Grey, other
died in Morrison's New X-Men
One Cyclops, other died in Secret Wars or something.

There are 3 Beasts (Blue Beast, Young non-furry Beast and Dark Beast from the AoA universe), 2 Icemen (young gay Bobby and current probably gay but they havent really adressed it Bobby), 2 Angels (young Cosmic powered Warren and current Archangel Warren), 1 Jean (young) and 1 Cyclops (young)

And zero Xaviers

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Bendis took him out a while ago.

I dont remember that at all. Well thats a waste of a good character. What about that other evil Beast, the white one. Wasnt he coming back for something?

I dont remember that at all. Well thats a waste of a good character. What about that other evil Beast, the white one. Wasnt he coming back for something?

Dark Beast was the explanation for the Sentinel attacks and the X-Men's broken powers during Bendis' Uncanny. They finally exposed him and it turned out he was dying from super cancer or something and was taking revenge on them as his last act. He ended up dying right as they stopped his final attack. As for white Beast, are you referring to Sublime Beast? Because that's strictly a Morrison's New X-Men thing, with Here Comes Tomorrow. There's not a reason for him to come back unless timeline shenanigans happen again (which is entirely possible given that it's X-Men).

Rhaknar

Dark Beast was the explanation for the Sentinel attacks and the X-Men's broken powers during Bendis' Uncanny. They finally exposed him and it turned out he was dying from super cancer or something and was taking revenge on them as his last act. He ended up dying right as they stopped his final attack. As for white Beast, are you referring to Sublime Beast? Because that's strictly a Morrison's New X-Men thing, with Here Comes Tomorrow. There's not a reason for him to come back unless timeline shenanigans happen again (which is entirely possible given that it's X-Men).

He was in E for Extinction with a army of evil Beasts lol

He was in E for Extinction with a army of evil Beasts lol

Ah fuck I didn't read that tie-in, so I had no idea. I didn't read the Age of Apocalypse SW tie-in either. I kinda regret that. I'll read them at some point. Only X-Men ones I read were X-Men '92 and Old Man Logan.

Rhaknar

Ah fuck I didn't read that tie-in, so I had no idea. I didn't read the Age of Apocalypse SW tie-in either. I kinda regret that. I'll read them at some point. Only X-Men ones I read were X-Men '92 and Old Man Logan.

You really should read E. Most of the x-men tue ins were shit but that one was good in its strangeness, and great as a parody of the Morrison run (but of course you would have to have read that run)

Looking back at SW it was probably one of my favorite ties ins (again, because I read the Morrison run)

You really should read E. Most of the x-men tue ins were shit but that one was good in its strangeness, and great as a parody of the Morrison run (but of course you would have to have read that run)

I'll check it out eventually. I just need to feel the urge to do so and then actually do so.

Top Bottom