• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| March Harley Quinn does the Banana Splits

Wild Storm

I am liking what I'm reading, but I can't help feeling that I am completely lost reading it. It feels like it's really not written for new readers.

I have no previous Wild Storm/Stormwatch baggage and I thought everything was pretty straightforward. Sure there's no exposition and we are dropped in right where the action starts but I thought everything was introduced cleanly.

ElNarez

Banned
did I hoot and/or holler at the latest nightwing well it starts with some panels straight-up jacked from Frazer Irving sooooo

Can anyone tell me if Nobody is in Supersons.

Not yet, but with her being in that Batman/Superman crossover I'd be surprised if she didn't show up at some point.

I have no previous Wild Storm/Stormwatch baggage and I thought everything was pretty straightforward. Sure there's no exposition and we are dropped in right where the action starts but I thought everything was introduced cleanly.

It's not so much the introduction or the plot aspect that I think isn't written for newbies. It's more like there is a sense of playing too much to the long time fans.

The only thing I can really compare it to is Doom Patrol, where it seems to have a lot of nods and deal with a lot of past stories but the current run is done in a way of making me feel either curious about it or making it feel unneeded as the story is great on it's own. With Wild Storm so far I feel like there is a lot of density or impact that is largely felt from implied history. Stuff like the conversation in the office in this issue came across as more impactful to past readers and then it had to say in the conversation itself as to why it was a big deal afterward.

I dunno, I'm still liking it, I just feel like I'm missing out on some of the impact while reading it.

The end of this book better be them going back in time (I don't care what happens with their memories retained and angel's weird ass wing upgrades just say that they trigger the creation of another alternate timeline that's like an X-Men staple anyway).
The whole point of them showing up was that they are pulled from the past using Doom's time platform, which doesn't splinter the timeline.

It's not so much the introduction or the plot aspect that I think isn't written for newbies. It's more like there is a sense of playing too much to the long time fans.

The only thing I can really compare it to is Doom Patrol, where it seems to have a lot of nods and deal with a lot of past stories but the current run is done in a way of making me feel either curious about it or making it feel unneeded as the story is great on it's own. With Wild Storm so far I feel like there is a lot of density or impact that is largely felt from implied history. Stuff like the conversation in the office in this issue came across as more impactful to past readers and then it had to say in the conversation itself as to why it was a big deal afterward.

I dunno, I'm still liking it, I just feel like I'm missing out on some of the impact while reading it.

Hmm. I think I see why you might feel like that. I felt like that about Planetary when I first read it. (I hadn't read too many superhero comics at that time). Knowing the previous Wildstorm universe might add a lot to the series for some readers.

rac

Banned
So that comixology sale for batwoman is missing a few issues, like batwoman #5 any reason for that?

also does it go bad after JH Williams leaves?

Am I crazy or isn't there supposed to be a fourth "I am" arc finishing up everything?

I am Gotham
I am Suicide
I am Bane
then there was one King didn't want to reveal because it'd include spoilers?

When the hell are they going to get into the "there are three Jokers subplot"? I would figure Batman would be flipping the hell out right now trying to figure that out.

Snyder and King have both said that's Johns' beehive to deal with.

Ross61

When the hell are they going to get into the "there are three Jokers subplot"? I would figure Batman would be flipping the hell out right now trying to figure that out.
Can't do that when there are more pressing immediate matters right now. It would be really weird to stop what he's doing right now for a villian who has amnesia the last time he seen him.

I think I Am Bane was always supposed to be the last one.

Snyder and King have both said that's Johns' beehive to deal with.

Ha. "That's Johns' mess, not ours."

Can't do that when there are more pressing immediate matters right now. It would be really weird to stop what he's doing right now for a villian who has amnesia the last time he seen him.

Surely the point is that there are two Jokers who don't have amnesia. Unless Batman thinks the badge is related to Joker, why on earth is he prioritising that investigation over the three Jokers?

Ross61

Surely the point is that there are two Jokers who don't have amnesia. Unless Batman thinks the badge is related to Joker, why on earth is he prioritising that investigation over the three Jokers?
What investigation? There haas been a continuous storyline going on in Batman that would prevent him from really doing anything else right now. Bane's out for blood and Batman's gonna just investigate 2 Jokers who haven't shown themselves or anything?

I'm sure DC will just give it to Hitch or Orlando as they laugh maniacally with their incriminating info on DC exec's.

What investigation? There haas been a continuous storyline going on in Batman that would prevent him from really doing anything else right now. Bane's out for blood and Batman's gonna just investigate 2 Jokers who haven't shown themselves or anything?

The next arc of Batman is the Flash crossover investigating the badge. Batman is just one book out of the many Bruce stars in however so the argument that he's not investigating Joker because he's busy with Bane isn't convincing. Three Jokers hasn't been mentioned anywhere in a year.

Ross61

The next arc of Batman is the Flash crossover investigating the badge. Batman is just one book out of the many Bruce stars in however so the argument that he's not investigating Joker because he's busy with Bane isn't convincing. Three Jokers hasn't been mentioned anywhere in a year.
The next arc is The Button because the "I Am" trilogy is finished afterword. Which means Batman would have some time to breathe. And it doesn't matter how many books Batman is in if John's specifically said he wanted to tackle it.

A whole arc where he says the same thing over and over?

Checks out

Ouch.

The next arc is The Button because the "I Am" trilogy is finished afterword. Which means Batman would have some time to breathe. And it doesn't matter how many books Batman is in if John's specifically said he wanted to tackle it.

I swear at one point it was referred to as 4 story arcs. Now suddenly it's The Button, Aftermath, and now Jokes and Riddles.

mreddie

C7DKo1_WsAEEsgq.jpg

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
C7C9Ud-XEAAZmm1.jpg

not sure if it works for existing (lapsed) accounts or just new

4th World Omnibus solicit:
After co-creating comic book heroes such as THE FANTASTIC FOUR and THE HULK, legendary writer/artist Jack Kirby came to DC Comics in 1970 to write and illustrate four interlocking series known collectively as “The Fourth World.”Now, as part of the celebration of the 100th birthday of Jack Kirby, DC collects Kirby’s entire runs on these four series—THE NEW GODS, THE FOREVER PEOPLE, MISTER MIRACLE and SUPERMAN’S PAL JIMMY OLSEN—In a single volume. These comics spanned galaxies, from the streets of Metropolis to the far-flung twin worlds of New Genesis and Apokolips, as cosmic-powered heroes and villains struggle for supremacy, and the world-conquering Darkseid adventured across Earth for the deadly Anti-Life Equation.

Collects SUPERMAN’S PAL JIMMY OLSEN #133-139 and 141-148, THE NEW GODS #1-11, THE FOREVER PEOPLE #1-11, MISTER MIRACLE #1-18, plus later stories from NEW GODS #4 and DC GRAPHIC NOVEL #4.

57 issues out 12th December for $150. You could kill someone with this.

VanWinkle

Batman

This wasn't as awesome as the previous issue, mostly because it felt like a different angle on the same gimmick of the last issue, but it still came off really cool.

All-Star Batman

The Narrative style Snyder is using for this arc is really just not suiting me. I liked this more than the last couple, but I still felt confused and annoyed most the time I was reading this. The back up felt even more annoying because it was purposely just teasing the Duke name. That's just dumb.

Superman

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Super Sons

God damn this book is sooooooo good. So glad it's living up to my looking forward to it for months. It's also kind of awesome that it can pull off the dark as hell beginning and then shift so easily to Damian and Jon bickering and being funny.

Book is great!

Wild Storm

I am liking what I'm reading, but I can't help feeling that I am completely lost reading it. It feels like it's really not written for new readers.

Extrimity #1

I really really liked this start. It had some negatives but overall I really liked the gruesome feel of the book and the establishment of arts being important in the world. It could still end up being pretty shallow and just about the action and gore, but this first issue has me really interested.

Kill or be Killed 6+7

Caught up to the last two issues of this and I think I'm back on bored. I was starting to think the book was too on the nose and a little too dumb, but I liked the turn in these two issues of stuff crashing in on him.

Regarding The Wild Storm, that might just be Ellis' style. When I was first reading Planetary, it didn't make sense at all to me. But as things went on, things slowly revealed themselves and it started making sense. Maybe this is the same.

Regarding The Wild Storm, that might just be Ellis' style. When I was first reading Planetary, it didn't make sense at all to me. But as things went on, things slowly revealed themselves and it started making sense. Maybe this is the same.

Yeah this could very well be true.

I was half feeling this way about Deathstroke and that has paid off fairly well as I'm still really enjoying it.

Thank God I already have this in multiple formats, because this baby is gonna be a pain in the ass to actually read. That said, of course I'm buying it.

What other formats do you have this in. I have the 4 paperback omnibuses but am thinking of getting rid of them.

tim1138

What other formats do you have this in. I have the 4 paperback omnibuses but am thinking of getting rid of them.

The four volume set and I'm buying all the individual issues digitally as they're released on CMX (they're about halfway through Mr Miracle and then will only be missing Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen).

Top Bottom