• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2016. Let's Do It. Let's Fall in Love.

El Topo

I loved that issue

I don't know. It's nice that so many are lying and I'm still interested in what direction it will take, but it's clearly not as tight and gripping as the first two volumes.
It's finally become a superhero comic and I'm not sure I like that. Okay, maybe I'm just pissed that you-know-who is not really you-know-who.

duckroll

I think Brubaker might be one of the most consistently great writers to date.
The guy rarely if ever writes a bad issue.

Both him and Greg Rucka.

Stop, you're reminding me of Gotham Central again. It was too good for this world. :(

Although, to be fair, Brubaker isn't infallible. When they renumbered Captain America to #1 again after his initial run and he stayed on to write a bunch of extra issues, it was just bad. He clearly didn't care anymore by then. at the same time though, his work on the Winter Soldier series was amazing, so it was clear what he was more interested in.

Stop, you're reminding me of Gotham Central again. It was too good for this world. :(

Although, to be fair, Brubaker isn't infallible. When they renumbered Captain America to #1 again after his initial run and he stayed on to write a bunch of extra issues, it was just bad. He clearly didn't care anymore by then. at the same time though, his work on the Winter Soldier series was amazing, so it was clear what he was more interested in.

Yeah, I wasn't really a big fan of Fatale either. Not sure what went wrong there but it just didn't grab me at all.

edit: ohhhhh shit I forgot you just bought this. Um, I was kidding, it was great!

duckroll

Yeah, I wasn't really a big fan of Fatale either. Not sure what went wrong there but it just didn't grab me at all.

edit: ohhhhh shit I forgot you just bought this. Um, I was kidding, it was great!

Heh, I think a few people here weren't that fond of Fatale. I just finished the first part (Death chases me) and I really like it. I'm a pretty big Lovecraft fan though, so it's totally up my alley. Will post more about it when my head doesn't hurt from watching anime. Lol.

It does make me rather annoyed. Any artist that has a slightly off-beat style seems to attract so many negative emotions from the audience. I would rather see a different art style that I dislike than another Jim Lee clone.

If Kirby was working today, I think there would be a bunch of "what-is-that-face" comments like the ones Pulido seems to attract.

Yo, Henderson is a fucking fabulous cartoonist. I'm also annoyed by people who denigrate her art. It's more than just the broad "art is subjective," I think it's about how we're conditioned to appreciate comic art.

So much of the art in super hero comics is capturing "bad ass" shots, playing up the power fantasy aspects of those books. In Squirrel Girl, Henderson is not drawing a lot of action shots or poses, the "kewl" stuff we're so used to in super hero comics. Instead, she's drawing for comedic effect. So if you don't find the book funny, the comedic effect is negated and you're left with just awkward drawings.

But if you don't find Squirrel Girl hilarious, I'm not sure you still have the ability to laugh.

Zombine

Banned
I really enjoy books like Squirrel Girl and Lumberjanes, and I also enjoy stuff like Walking Dead and Punisher. All of these different books have a place and it stinks when Henderson takes heat. She really is nice! She took pitty on me when I was priced out of her art at NYCC and cut me a deal.

I'm hoping to get a Galactus page this year. I'll have the $300 to spare this time lol.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Heh, I think a few people here weren't that fond of Fatale. I just finished the first part (Death chases me) and I really like it. I'm a pretty big Lovecraft fan though, so it's totally up my alley. Will post more about it when my head doesn't hurt from watching anime. Lol.

I was one of those people. But as I said a couple of days ago it's really not a quality issue so I'm not bothered or surprised when people like it even though I didn't love it.

Five hours to go, oh ya

rOhtfEk.gif

duckroll

I was one of those people. But as I said a couple of days ago it's really not a quality issue so I'm not bothered or surprised when people like it even though I didn't love it.

Yeah I know. I have a list of all the names actually. It's part of the blood ritual I'll perform on the next full moon. Sorry everyone!

Hey, how about an All-Star Batman interview with Snyder? Sure! Oh wait, it's more about Batman Rebirth #1 and not about All-Star at all.

Fucking Newsarama.

Yo, Henderson is a fucking fabulous cartoonist. I'm also annoyed by people who denigrate her art. It's more than just the broad "art is subjective," I think it's about how we're conditioned to appreciate comic art.

So much of the art in super hero comics is capturing "bad ass" shots, playing up the power fantasy aspects of those books. In Squirrel Girl, Henderson is not drawing a lot of action shots or poses, the "kewl" stuff we're so used to in super hero comics. Instead, she's drawing for comedic effect. So if you don't find the book funny, the comedic effect is negated and you're left with just awkward drawings.

But if you don't find Squirrel Girl hilarious, I'm not sure you still have the ability to laugh.
Yeah youve hit the nail on the head. Visual comedy is really hard. Henderson pulls it off in spades.

El Topo

Yeah, that's true. It just seemed like a lot of Image stuff was mostly agreed on one way or the other or at least a decent consensus most of the time.

Nah. I think there's more than enough things one can dislike about WicDiv, be it some parts of the setting, the way the story went, the heavy emphasis on pop culture or the pacing. It's understandably divisive.
Not everyone needs to like everything. For example I can understand that people like Saga, but I couldn't get into it.

Messi

In Wicked and the divine I don't understand what is going on with
Laura. Other than the person in the last issue wasn't her. I just want her to be alive :(

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Laura. Other than the person in the last issue wasn't her. I just want her to be alive :(

Was it
not Laura in the way that all the gods aren't necessarily the people they were before they awakened, or was it not Laura/Persephone at all?

El Topo

Was it
not Laura in the way that all the gods aren't necessarily the people they were before they awakened, or was it not Laura/Persephone at all?

I think it's something different and in a way it fits
the two-fold nature of Persephone as a goddess. That girl doesn't really behave much like Laura, but on the other hand seems to have some attachment/memory.

Messi

I think it's something different and in a way it fits
the two-fold nature of Persephone as a goddess. That girl doesn't really behave much like Laura, but on the other hand seems to have some attachment/memory.

Yeah you know way more about this than I do. I felt she clearly knew who the other gods were at the very least. Does she remember what happened to Laura?

Friends I'm confused...

I've been reading Marvel's 616 Universe from the start (currently 1000 issues in), and noticed that the reading order ends ~2004. So I was wondering what happened in 2004 was there a reboot?

I also noticed that there's been a recent reboot in 2015 too merging 616 and 1610? So I'm guessing just how many reboots have happened?

Hagi

Friends I'm confused...

I've been reading Marvel's 616 Universe from the start (currently 1000 issues in), and noticed that the reading order ends ~2004. So I was wondering what happened in 2004 was there a reboot?

I also noticed that there's been a recent reboot in 2015 too merging 616 and 1610? So I'm guessing just how many reboots have happened?

2004 was when Avengers Disassembled happened but I can't remember if that lead to a major shake-up in the line in the form of issues getting renumbered or anything.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Man the
civil war inside Oppenheimer's head
in Manhattan Projects is brilliant. Go Blue! And the two issues with Daghlian's backstory were fantastic as well. A+ book

El Topo

I only really know
the basic pomegranate/Hades/winter thing. Can you elaborate?

During the transformation process Ananke calls her one part of the two-fold mystery, so I assumed that there would be some other part. From what I remember, I looked that stuff up after reading volume 2, Persephone is one part of the goddess, the other part is Kore, or rather they are different names (or even more) for the same entity. Persephone is the name taken after being taken into the underworld (because Hades desires her) and while she stays there winter occurs, whereas Kore is the original name, which is also used when she stays with Demeter, during which time summer occurs.

That also explains why she sings about how Persephone is in hell.

Also I learned that Zeus fucks his own daughter, but I guess that is to be expected from Greek mythology.

Yeah you know way more about this than I do. I felt she clearly knew who the other gods were at the very least. Does she remember what happened to Laura?

#18 shows that she remembers how Laura died. It is not clear if that is Laura's memory though, especially since she knows that Ananke killed her parents, which Laura obviously could not see.

If it's not quite Laura/Persephone, it also explains the title "Don't call it a comeback".

Messi

During the transformation process Ananke calls her one part of the two-fold mystery, so I assumed that there would be some other part. From what I remember, I looked that stuff up after reading volume 2, Persephone is one part of the goddess, the other part is Kore, or rather they are different names (or even more) for the same entity. Persephone is the name taken after being taken into the underworld and during that time winter occurs, whereas Kore is the original name, taken when she is with Demeter, during which time summer occurs.

Also I learned that Zeus fucks his own daughter, but I guess that is to be expected from Greek mythology.

kvpaw.gif

Vic_Viper

Is DCs Absolute Batman Incorporated out of print? I can't seem to find it anymore at Instocktrades and there's only 10 left on Amazon.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Why is no one talking about the Aliens Library Edition? Its such a gorgeous book, it eats Marvel, Image and DC hardcovers to lunch

Messi

I like DC's regular hardcovers. Stop changing the spines though DC. It is unforgivable that you did that to the last two volumes of Batman.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
I like DC's regular hardcovers. Stop changing the spines though DC. It is unforgivable that you did that to the last two volumes of Batman.

I hate when companies don't keep it the same for the whole time. The only reason to buy physical versions of things anymore is to have it look nice on your shelf, changing the format randomly in the middle doesn't look nice.

Why is no one talking about the Aliens Library Edition? Its such a gorgeous book, it eats Marvel, Image and DC hardcovers to lunch
There's a reason a bunch of us rave about the Library Editions Dark Horse puts out! They're excellent books. Even their hardcovers like the BPRD ones are fantastic.

Calcium

Banned
Just got back from Civil War. Fucking loved it. Black Panther was introduced well and I loved every second Spider-Man was on screen. I can't wait for Homecoming.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
There's a reason a bunch of us rave about the Library Editions Dark Horse puts out! They're excellent books. Even their hardcovers like the BPRD ones are fantastic.
Its black on the sides, no White pages, all Nostromo black.

Cant wait to read it, I just hope its not the stupid disgusting fanfaction thingy where Newt has Sex with Hicks

tim1138

Man the
civil war inside Oppenheimer's head
in Manhattan Projects is brilliant. Go Blue! And the two issues with Daghlian's backstory were fantastic as well. A+ book

One of my favorite factoids about that arc is Ryan Browne got to pretty much make all of that up. Hickman gave him a pretty bare bones outline that said what needed to ultimately needed to happen and let Browne go wild filling in the gaps and creating all the characters and insanity.

Messi

I hate when companies don't keep it the same for the whole time. The only reason to buy physical versions of things anymore is to have it look nice on your shelf, changing the format randomly in the middle doesn't look nice.

I will say the new spines look better but I'm sure the rebirth spines will change again.

Agreed. I was not a fan of Commercial Suicide other than the del Duca and Lotay issues but the new arc has been good so far.

Brian and I agree on something? WAT

tumblr_nasmgimSde1tgqi3co1_500.gif

I never stopped

Shades of your Nocenti Catwoman behavior.

In Greek mythology, Persephone is the Goddess of the harvest, and thus recurrence. She's also the Queen of the Underworld, and thus the wife of Hades. So she's kind of alive, kind of not. The bigger question is how Amaterasu is alive.

Excellent books, even better murder weapons.

Owzers

I read six comics and bragged about it online,then was sick most of the night.

I'm not saying they are directly related but they are directly related. It's not too late to stop people, it's not too late! Burn them all!

Top Bottom