• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2015. The much-anticipated sequel to October's OT.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
#2 was very good as well. This is my first Doctor Strange book. I probably wouldn't have given it a try if not for Bachalo, as I was never big into the mystic Marvel stuff. But I'm glad I did.

ANAD has been very enjoyable so far. Ultimates next week rocking that Rocafort art. Also looking forward to Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur, and the new Blade series whenever that happens.

Hold up, I thought Doc Strange #1 was this week. Dammit, LCS--you fucking stink. I guess I have to hope I can find #2.

Also, I'm glad there's a new Blade series, but I still do not understand how Ron Wimberly doesn't have anything to do with it.

what should I read for backstory on Vision? Not sure what happened to set up that whole situation.
Best part of all this: Nothing! If you watched Age of Ultron, you've got his origin. Everything else is laid out in this issue.

tim1138

what should I read for backstory on Vision? Not sure what happened to set up that whole situation.

You will be fine just buying the first issue of Vision. I have no idea if the new status quo is set up in Avengers or is just post of the nebulous "Eight months later..." thing, but personally I was fine jumping in blind

Hold up, I thought Doc Strange #1 was this week. Dammit, LCS--you fucking stink. I guess I have to hope I can find #2.

Also, I'm glad there's a new Blade series, but I still do not understand how Ron Wimberly doesn't have anything to do with it.

What has happened to the new Blade book? I thought it was due out this side of 2015?

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
What has happened to the new Blade book? I thought it was due out this side of 2015?

It was supposed to come out in October, so I'm not too sure what's going on with it. Maybe someone can hit up Seeley on twitter?

if the posted page fits within what a preview range might be, Id say its fine. Thats usually the first 3 pages. never seen a preview go past pg 6 so lets try to keep it below that?

canceled. Ronald Wimberly is now making the new Blade book

in my dreams

Vyer

Best part of all this: Nothing! If you watched Age of Ultron, you've got his origin. Everything else is laid out in this issue.

You will be fine just buying the first issue of Vision. I have no idea if the new status quo is set up in Avengers or is just post of the nebulous "Eight months later..." thing, but personally I was fine jumping in blind

excellent. yeah, I've already read it but outside of the character itself I didn't know anything leading up to it so I was curious. I also had no problems jumping in.

all the praise, perhaps I should go ahead and check out Monstress.

It was supposed to come out in October, so I'm not too sure what's going on with it. Maybe someone can hit up Seeley on twitter?

I sent him a tweet, hopefully he'll have answers. I tried Googling, but it doesn't seem like there's been much promotion for it either. If it's been pushed back, it happens, but I'd love to see some preview pages.

VanWinkle

Currently reading Legenderry by Bill Willingham with art by Sergio Davila, and I'm actually really liking it. Sort of a League of Extraordinary Gentlemen type thing with Dynamite characters (Red Sonja, Vampirella, Green Hornet, Kato, Flash Gordon, etc). Fantastic art and good enough writing so far.

frye

Vision has a bit more resonance if you're familiar with the character but it doesn't really matter. There's also an actual set-up to the first issue in the last Avengers 0 but considering it's like 5 pages and the whole thing costs 5 fuckin dollars it's probably not worth it

Filthy Slug

Since we're all looking for missing Blades, can somebody tell me where Blade 3 is? The trilogy needs an ending, dammit, and Wesley is finally paying taxes again.

Since we're all looking for missing Blades, can somebody tell me where Blade 3 is? The trilogy needs an ending, dammit, and Wesley is finally paying taxes again.

Bleeding Cool seems to think that Marvel is planning a new Blade movie, based on the upcoming comic, however, starring his daughter. I doubt that's what you want to hear, but who knows how much truth there is to that rumour. It's just good to know Blade's viability as a film is being discussed again.

Filthy Slug

Bleeding Cool seems to think that Marvel is planning a new Blade movie, based on the upcoming comic, however, starring his daughter. I doubt that's what you want to hear, but who knows how much truth there is to that rumour. It's just good to know Blade's viability as a film is being discussed again.

And Wesley Snipes has been in talk about returning to the character with Marvel.
Yo, I'm sold. Now the question is how much wrestling will be in the movie?

I'm refusing Trinity as the third. It was like 2.5, or a weird WWE ppv gone wrong. They watered down Wesley with dopey ass Ryan Reynolds and 7th heaven girl.

Messi

Snipes was talking to them recently. Snipes as an older Blade training his daughter could be cool. I'd but just as cool with him getting his own Netflix series to tie into the others. Maybe replace iron fist if they can't get that going.

Vyer

I didn't realize We Stand On Guard was a limited run. I've enjoyed it well enough, but man is there a lot still left to cover for only having one issue left.

Filthy Slug

He didn't notice that his own book didn't come out the month it was supposed to come out?

Filthy Slug

Makes sense--hopefully it doesn't get lost in the shuffle.

Currently reading Legenderry by Bill Willingham with art by Sergio Davila, and I'm actually really liking it. Sort of a League of Extraordinary Gentlemen type thing with Dynamite characters (Red Sonja, Vampirella, Green Hornet, Kato, Flash Gordon, etc). Fantastic art and good enough writing so far.

I liked it. I wish they could have fit in Voltron since Dynamite has the license for that.

The Vision. Guys, seriously, wow. It was weird, and a bit creepy and seriously awesome. The narrator is what makes it, it kind of reminds me of the one from Pushing Daisies if anyone remembers that show. It's very much a Marvel book, but it's its' own thing at the same time. Unexpectedly great, though I suppose we should expect it from Tom King at this stage. Really looking forward to more.

This post brought to you by insomnia. I miss sleeping.

besada

Banned
Wow, Vision was some dark shit.

I also really liked last week's Karnak, too.

CpzoKNM.jpg

It is, but I think some people weren't happy with the direction it went and don't acknowledge it.
I rewatched it recently, and it's just not very good. The opening sequence, for one, falls incredibly flat. The final battle, while cool, at the same time felt very anti-climactic, as did the whole ending. Blade and crew give their final assault and...it just ends sort of. The cinematography is also just terrible for the most part. Any and all ties to previous established lore and mythology are also never brought up nor mentioned. It's like the previous movies didn't exist.

The sad part is that it had a lot of cool ideas: Blade passing the torch; the whole idea of "the war being over" when in reality it's all he ever had (multiple conversations in the movie revolve around this topic; the idea of a "vampire final solution," where the vamps are not only on the verge of perfecting their race, but also cementing their hold on society; the lore implications of Dracula and his existence.

A lot of that's touched on, and the movie has some very powerful moments, but it doesn't cut it. The vampire society doesn't feel like a society anymore, but we're supposed to believe vamps are uberpowerful because three of them love in a skyscraper and control the local police force of a city that's never named. Oh, and their names are "Danika Talos," "Asher Talos," and "Jarko Grimwood," so that means they're super old. The whole concept of a "pure blood" vampire now doesn't make sense since, in order for vamps to exist, Dracula would have needed to turn them. At what point in this did clans form? A big part of vampire society is all the vast clans, but again, it's not brought up. Dracula is a huge lore bomb, but ends up being a dud and nothing happens.

Most of that's due to the movie having a very troubled production (Blade tried to choke out David Goyer while super high), but there are still clearly issues beyond just a "troubled" production. It's still a decent action film with decent visual effects, but I wouldn't watch it unless you're really curious.

So...

This month...Fallout 4 or try a bunch of new comics?

I'm thinking Midnighter, Monstress, Vision, dipping my toes in Parker's Aquaman and trying out Tokyo Ghost...and of course, despite having a lack of faith, DKIII starts this month.

Also I'm guessing the answer is "No", but is ANAD Iron Man going to convert someone who doesn't really like the character a ton or not?

So...

This month...Fallout 4 or try a bunch of new comics?

I'm thinking Midnighter, Monstress, Vision, dipping my toes in Parker's Aquaman and trying out Tokyo Ghost...and of course, despite having a lack of faith, DKIII starts this month.

Also I'm guessing the answer is "No", but is ANAD Iron Man going to convert someone who doesn't really like the character a ton or not?

I'm going to break down your choices individually, but I want to give a big resounding yes to everything listed:

Midnighter is absolutely brilliant, it's one of the best books to come out of the DC You initiative. Sadly, it's not doing too well sales wise.

I was skeptical about Parker coming on to Aquaman following Johns phenomenal run, but he completely surprised me. In fact, I'd argue that Parker's run is just as good, if not better than Johns'. Definitely worth checking out. Parker captures a sense of adventure and pulp fiction that matches perfectly with Aquaman.

Vision is different and unsettling. There's a strong sense that something terrible is about to happen, yet you don't know what, or when. I think it has more in common with the horror genre than your typical super heroics and it comes off as totally fresh. With such a strong first issue, it's my favourite book of 'All New, All Different' Marvel so far.

I'm not the biggest fan of Iron Man. I read the initial 'All New' Iron Man from Kieron Gillen and thought it was awful. The writing and art were terrible and didn't help my disinterest in Tony Stark. I gave Invincible Iron Man two issues to impress and I can honestly say that Bendis has been able to turn me around. I can't say that I'm now a fan, but I am completely engaged in the book. The art is great, beautifully drawn at the best of times and Bendis' writing is on point. Invincible Iron Man has a fun energy that was lacking from previous takes on the character. Hopefully that helps you, as you seem to be in a similar position with Iron Man as I am.

I haven't read Monstress yet, I'm waiting till after I submit my next assignment on Monday. On value alone, the cover price is worth it and I've only read good things in this thread. I'm looking forward to 60+ pages of reading.

I'm also buying Fallout 4. I won't have much time to play it as yet, but for $59 AUD, it's hard not to open my wallet. If you buy comics digitally, you could always buy the game and wait out the comics. It's not as though Comixology will sell out.

I'm going to break down your choices individually, but I want to give a big resounding yes to everything listed:

Midnighter is absolutely brilliant, it's one of the best books to come out of the DC You initiative. Sadly, it's not doing too well sales wise.

I was skeptical about Parker coming on to Aquaman following Johns phenomenal run, but he completely surprised me. In fact, I'd argue that Parker's run is just as good, if not better than Johns'. Definitely worth checking out. Parker captures a sense of adventure and pulp fiction that matches perfectly with Aquaman.

Vision is different and unsettling. There's a strong sense that something terrible is about to happen, yet you don't know what, or when. I think it has more in common with the horror genre than your typical super heroics and it comes off as totally fresh. With such a strong first issue, it's my favourite book of 'All New, All Different' Marvel so far.

I'm not the biggest fan of Iron Man. I read the initial 'All New' Iron Man from Kieron Gillen and thought it was awful. The writing and art were terrible and didn't help my disinterest in Tony Stark. I gave Invincible Iron Man two issues to impress and I can honestly say that Bendis has been able to turn me around. I can't say that I'm now a fan, but I am completely engaged in the book. The art is great, beautifully drawn at the best of times and Bendis' writing is on point. Invincible Iron Man has a fun energy that was lacking from previous takes on the character. Hopefully that helps you, as you seem to be in a similar position with Iron Man as I am.

I haven't read Monstress yet, I'm waiting till after I submit my next assignment on Monday. On value alone, the cover price is worth it and I've only read good things in this thread. I'm looking forward to 60+ pages of reading.

I'm also buying Fallout 4. I won't have much time to play it as yet, but for $59 AUD, it's hard not to open my wallet. If you buy comics digitally, you could always buy the game and come to the comics. It's not as though Comixology will sell out.

That all sounds pretty good.

Thanks for spending my money :p

Haha. You're welcome! Out of curiosity, what's your current pull list look like?

Oh man, it's pretty erratic to be honest.

I've been reading Hellblazer and Hellboy mostly but just in terms of trying to get back to the monthlies I wanted to try out some new things on the Marvel side etc.

It could be anything from Batman, Justice League, Saga. Secret Wars, Ms Marvel, Star Wars, Darth Vader, Grayson, JLA etc.I have a huuuuuuuuuge physical backlog atm so really trying to work my way through that without buying anything else.

Which never works.

Edit: It is complete...for now...

Top Bottom