• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2015. The much-anticipated sequel to October's OT.

Foofaraw

Nice Sandman collection. I snagged vol 4 for $15 at a library sale. It is beat up, and doesn't have the box, but I am really wanting to get the other stuff at some point.

Also, is Switch just a Darkness/Witchblade crossover with a more reasonably dressed main character? I just finished reading it, and there was no d-rings on collars, so I am confused about what Sejic thinks he is doing.

Tizoc

Vision #1
Uh....I don't get it. What was so good about this issue?

007 by Warren Ellis
Good first issue.

Klaus #1
Great issue and great art, one of the best 3 books of the week IMO.

Monstress
No wonder you kids liked this, the art is by Sana Takeda who did the X-23 series, that comic books series that Messi STILL hasn't read. Get off your lazy bum and read it already.

Transformers MTMTE 46
Great conclusion to the 2 parter but one that raises so many questions.

Holy shit Vision was amazing. What an unsettling book. It was like a David Fincher movie in the Marvel Universe. Not often do I think of music after I read a comic but this story gave me the same feelings that I get when listening to Trent Reznor/NIN instrumental music like Ghost or his soundtrack work. Eerie, dread, suspense, curious wonder. Subscribed!

Messi

Nice Sandman collection. I snagged vol 4 for $15 at a library sale. It is beat up, and doesn't have the box, but I am really wanting to get the other stuff at some point.

Also, is Switch just a Darkness/Witchblade crossover with a more reasonably dressed main character? I just finished reading it, and there was no d-rings on collars, so I am confused about what Sejic thinks he is doing.

It's somewhat of a reboot of the witchblade universe. Give it time I'm sure Sejic will get some bondage in there soon.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I'm sure it's already been mentioned here, but Barnes & Noble is doing the Buy 2 Get 1 Free sale again.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Yo, I think the Manhattan Projects HC Vol. 2 is finally coming out...in February 2016.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Does that work out to being cheaper than IST on average?

It really depends. From my quick browsing, it seems that their prices are a little bit higher than they were last year (last year their prices were already pretty close to IST, so with the B2G1 it was a great deal), so it would probably come out the same as IST on the average book. I'm sure if you look around you can find some good deals though.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Character depth, art, atmosphere, story. The only way I can see you saying that this wasn't good was if you were expecting lots of action.

Or sex. There was no synthezoid sex, so it's not a perfect issue.

frye

I've just realized what the narration in Vision and that line about
how at the end of the story the old couple will die in their home
reminded me of -- it's straight outta any number of 90s Vertigo comics (which means it's straight outta the Moore Swamp Things)

These pencils look awesome

SPIDER-MAN #1 (Miles Morales)

8MpdFTb.jpg

Filthy Slug

reminded me of -- it's straight outta any number of 90s Vertigo comics (which means it's straight outta the Moore Swamp Things)

It does have that classic Vertigo feel. Honestly haven't been excited by comics (aside from rereading Casanova) in weeks, and Vision got me out of that comics-funk.

tim1138

In an interview on Newsarama King admitted he straight up stole the idea from Sandman. In the same interview he said he was going for a Vertigo feel because Marvel never really had that kind of book.

Messi

I liked the narration in Vision. It feels like it is incredibly calm and collected and then it just says some fucked up stuff like
That couple who would be dead by the end of the week
. and you are like ... wat.

Great book. Feels all new and all different.

Y'all shouldn't have posted that Vision page, IMO. That's the page where things clearly take a dark turn. You don't know what the themes will be until then. I'd count it an a spoiler.

Anyway, yeah, stellar book. I was surprised by how sad it made me feel.

Filthy Slug

It's a page from towards the beginning of the book that'll get people interested, and it's just a bit of black comedy. I don't think it's very spoiler-y. There are lots of great moments that add to the overall mood that nobody's mentioned, and we've all talked about the darkness creeping throughout the issue.

Messi

I don't know why we bother with spoiler rules, we don't follow them anyway. Every week someone does something when excited.

It's a page from towards the beginning of the book that'll get people interested, and it's just a bit of black comedy. I don't think it's very spoiler-y. There are lots of great moments that add to the overall mood that nobody's mentioned, and we've all talked about the darkness creeping throughout the issue.

I get wanting to interest others in the book. I'm on board with that. It's a fascinating so far and I want it supported. But still, it's one thing to say the book is creepy and another to post a page that tells us that
a member of the Vision family will burn down a house causing two deaths.

I'm happy to see you posting here, FS, because I notice you don't post as much as you used to. Last thing I want to do is dissuade you from posting more. But I'd imagine some may be themselves hesitant to join a comics community that spoils plot point day one or two of release.

Bii

The only way to stop someone from spoiling something is to spoil it yourself first. Rockets win tonight.

Spoilers are always tough considering comics is, mostly, a visually-centric medium. I know I probably wouldn't have been interested in certain books had I not glimpse at a few pages that may or may not have spoiled a part of it for me.

frye

It does have that classic Vertigo feel. Honestly haven't been excited by comics (aside from rereading Casanova) in weeks, and Vision got me out of that comics-funk.

In an interview on Newsarama King admitted he straight up stole the idea from Sandman. In the same interview he said he was going for a Vertigo feel because Marvel never really had that kind of book.

A lot of the hallmarks of those kinds of comics have fallen out of vogue for one reason or another (my theory: among other things, Ellis became the dominant influence for a generation of writers over Moore) but it's cool to see some of that stuff in a Marvel comic c. 2015

Tizoc

This is the best panel this week
BE4SlSR.jpg

Character depth, art, atmosphere, story. The only way I can see you saying that this wasn't good was if you were expecting lots of action.

Or sex. There was no synthezoid sex, so it's not a perfect issue.

Don't care for either, I was expecting a good read but uh...the book failed to make me care for the characters :/ I think I'll give it a re-read and try again.

Filthy Slug

What did I miss? ComicGAF Civil War IV starting?

Nah, I understand Maq's point of view, and I'll keep that in mind as I discuss new comics going forward.

Also, who let you out of your poster cave? You get back in there immediately, dammit.

Top Bottom