• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2015. The much-anticipated sequel to October's OT.

frye

Great, thanks, I'll keep an eye out for it.

I really thought, initially, that it was the spiritual successor to Fear Agent. Problem is Grant is insufferable, and there's nothing particularly gripping about a shitty father trying to save his shitty kids from shitty circumstances he put them in. Like, there's no real anchor for me to latch onto here, and because the setting keeps shifting and the sci-fi fuckery is just random chaos, there's not much beating to the heart of the book.

The best thing Remender did here was
make the supposed villain of the story the hero after Grant "dies".
That was fucking fascinating, and could have worked so well. Eh, this book just bums me out for what it could have been.

I still remember finishing the first issue of Black Science and thinking that none of it worked for me at all

VanWinkle

I'm loving Legenderry. Man. Really wonderful art and general feel. Makes me sad that this one trade is the entire series.

I'm happy.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I still remember finishing the first issue of Black Science and thinking that none of it worked for me at all

Your gut instinct was right, unfortunately. Oh well, we've got Tokyo Ghost for good sci-fi Remender (and Murphy).

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Completely forgot about Low, which is damn good. Remender is pulling off some absurd writing feats considering how many excellent books he's juggling.

The art in Low is major turn off for me.

6b8c2d8db532c7d54766638ed009c8e7.gif

Great, thanks, I'll keep an eye out for it.

I really thought, initially, that it was the spiritual successor to Fear Agent. Problem is Grant is insufferable, and there's nothing particularly gripping about a shitty father trying to save his shitty kids from shitty circumstances he put them in. Like, there's no real anchor for me to latch onto here, and because the setting keeps shifting and the sci-fi fuckery is just random chaos, there's not much beating to the heart of the book.

The best thing Remender did here was
make the supposed villain of the story the hero after Grant "dies".
That was fucking fascinating, and could have worked so well. Eh, this book just bums me out for what it could have been.
I read the first three volumes of Fear Agent and it didnt really do anything for me. I have the first volume of Low but havent read it. Did you read Last Days of American Crime? That was the first thing I read that Remender wrote. Quite good

Man, sleeping is great. I love sleeping almost as much as video games.

I'd say I enjoy sleeping almost as much as buying comics. I enjoy reading comics much less than either of those

If the spoilers I read for why all the X-men hate Cyclops again post Uncanny #600 are true. I just may have to completely give up on the X books.

Megatron

If the spoilers I read for why all the X-men hate Cyclops again post Uncanny #600 are true. I just may have to completely give up on the X books.

It doesn't seem like they have stopped hating him.

I read 600. It was eh.

Kind of funny how the 16 page backup story that was a reprint of a much older story took me longer to read than the 36 page main feature.

Those are just covers. The color palatte of the interiors is much different.

I think the colors flow perfectly. I like how there not constrained to an object and person and just mix in with the rest of the art, distorting them and giving them a theme for the rest of the panels. I love when Tajo get's in the suit and when she unleashes all you see is a mixture of red and orange all over the page.

This Ben Carson stuff makes my head hurt

You mean the whole "The media are smearing me but I did try to kill my sister + mother"?

Also I read a bit of anad amazing spiderman...its quite fun. Gonna give Invincible Iron Man another go.

Not that I need more comics to read but is Bendis' X-Men run good if you're only real exposure to them is the cartoon + Morrison...and Whedon...

You mean the whole "The media are smearing me but I did try to kill my sister + mother"?

Also I read a bit of anad amazing spiderman...its quite fun. Gonna give Invincible Iron Man another go.

Not that I need more comics to read but is Bendis' X-Men run good if you're only real exposure to them is the cartoon + Morrison...and Whedon...

Thats a pretty good base to start from IMO

You could probably read the wiki entry for Marvel vs X-Men and be fine since Bendis's run starts right after that.

The Valiant: That was pretty ok. Really liked the first issue and the second one was good too. But it was a bit of a downhill after that. Seemed to devolve into some generic event writing, with the story being written to throw in everyone else from the universe.
The ending would have been interesting too, but it seemed more concerned with changing the status quo of Bloodshot than a satisfying resolution.

Anyway, the art was good throughout and it got me interested in reading Eternal Warrior (along with my previous interest in Archer & Armstrong). Maybe that's all they were going for, an advertisement for their shared universe.

Foofaraw

Oh man, I really forgot about Low! I really liked the first 2 issues, but decided to trade wait to save some money. The time skip in the second issue also threw me off a bit. Really need to get some of Remender's Image trades. Also X-force Omni.

Ed, I should have charged you an art for those comics instead of dollars. I goofed!

Started reading Bendis X-Men yesterday, ANXM 1-5. Hank is a real jerk. Jean getting telepathy without Xavier's help guiding her is interesting. Everyone understanding that Xavier with mind wipe the kids, including the kids, and just treating it as a normal thing is really disturbing. I forget if Xavier got actually sympathetic during Claremont, but I remember hating him when I read the silver age stuff. Very evil towards the X-men, totally behind Cyclops offing him.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Major turn on for me. Love his art.

I know you do. From what I've noticed you and I seem to have similar tastes when it comes to stories but we differ much more when it comes to art.

I think the colors flow perfectly. I like how there not constrained to an object and person and just mix in with the rest of the art, distorting them and giving them a theme for the rest of the panels. I love when Tajo get's in the suit and when she unleashes all you see is a mixture of red and orange all over the page.

Well you clearly know more about art than I do. The best way I can describe it is when I look at Low I get an icky feeling.

I'm sure it's a good book. The story sounds interesting enough. I just can't do it.

Messi

Oh man, I really forgot about Low! I really liked the first 2 issues, but decided to trade wait to save some money. The time skip in the second issue also threw me off a bit. Really need to get some of Remender's Image trades. Also X-force Omni.

Ed, I should have charged you an art for those comics instead of dollars. I goofed!

Started reading Bendis X-Men yesterday, ANXM 1-5. Hank is a real jerk. Jean getting telepathy without Xavier's help guiding her is interesting. Everyone understanding that Xavier with mind wipe the kids, including the kids, and just treating it as a normal thing is really disturbing. I forget if Xavier got actually sympathetic during Claremont, but I remember hating him when I read the silver age stuff. Very evil towards the X-men, totally behind Cyclops offing him.

Just wait.. :)

Sadist

Foofaraw going to be in a for a surprise, lol.

It still blows that the last really fun X-book I've read was Amazing X-Men volume 1 by Aaron.
Nightcrawler pirate antics in heaven and hell. How can you not love this?

Foofaraw

Let's see, Xavier forced Cyclops to kill him so he could have floating head adventures?

I vaguely recall seeing/hearing stuff about Prof X being a floating head in a jar or something for a while.

Well, you two have me excited, but I won't be able to read more for a day or so. Really need to get to bed.

Messi

Let's see, Xavier forced Cyclops to kill him so he could have floating head adventures?

I vaguely recall seeing/hearing stuff about Prof X being a floating head in a jar or something for a while.

Well, you two have me excited, but I won't be able to read more for a day or so. Really need to get to bed.

Are reading All New and Uncanny? They crossover heavily especially early on. Uncanny is the better of the two BTW

Filthy Slug

I read the first three volumes of Fear Agent and it didnt really do anything for me. I have the first volume of Low but havent read it. Did you read Last Days of American Crime? That was the first thing I read that Remender wrote. Quite good
I really suggest going through the entirety of Fear Agent. It may sound silly to say, "yo finish a book you dug into but didn't dig," but man, the last arc is fucking magic. It's nowhere near Remender's most polished book, but dude stuck with his story, got remarkably better at writing as he progressed, and stuck a hell of a landing.

And nah, I've heard of Last Days (with Tochinni right?) but I never picked it up. I'll see if I can pick up a copy if you say it's solid.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
They usually do a 50% off everything image by the end of the year

They pretty much just did a while back. And it was like the only series not on sale. I did get a bunch of The Walking Dead, the rest of Rasputin, and all of Black Science/Strange Girl though. So it wasn't all bad.

VanWinkle

Okay, starting Wonder Woman Vol. 1 (Azzarello/Chiang) again. Last time I read through issue one and just wasn't feeling it, but I liked it a lot better this time. I think I must have just not been in the mood for it last time.

Top Bottom