• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2015. The much-anticipated sequel to October's OT.

Messi

More like posting on Twitter

Never forget

knU0sMe.png

/ded

I love how he replied like 4 days later

Thors #4 conclusion was so disappointing. I'm expecting some sort of revelation about how
Odin is the mastermind eliminating all the Jane Fosters to protect his son's legacy
but then all of a sudden it instead veers off into
"here's JaneThor outta nowhere, this ties directly into Secret Wars, go pick up your copy today!" territory.
I suppose I should've expected that on some level, but the first three issues apart from rudimentary setup required no knowledge of the event.

Thors #4 conclusion was so disappointing. I'm expecting some sort of revelation about how
Odin is the mastermind eliminating all the Jane Fosters to protect his son's legacy
but then all of a sudden it instead veers off into
"here's JaneThor outta nowhere, this ties directly into Secret Wars, go pick up your copy today!" territory.
I suppose I should've expected that on some level, but the first three issues apart from rudimentary setup required no knowledge of the event.
Yeah I was disappointed in that

Hagi

Keep her hydrated.

Hope you enjoy the rest of your time there.

Yeah this was the problem along with the heat.

That's us leaving now, had a great day and got to meet a lot of nice people. Really good first con experience overall.

MG310

Messi Marguerite Bennett is super nice. I bought issue 1 of A-Force then she gave us a mars bar lol

She always has the fanciest (maybe 2nd fanciest...there's that one guy who brings his own desk and rug) of artist alley tables.

So, my weeklies:

Secret Wars #7: Not really any revelations or anything, but a lot of really good action and a lot of badass stuff. Especially T'challa.

Thors #4: While I am disappointed, the fact that apparently
1610 Mjolnir is now in the 616
is interesting. Makes me wonder if Odinson will pick that up. But
Jane has to die eventually.
Seems silly
for her not to, considering her storyline seems to be that she is Thor because Odinson can't be and since it's killing her more and more to do so, eventually she'd die and Odinson would be Thor again.

Infinity Gauntlet #5: Not much to say here other than
INFINITY GEM-POWERED VOLTRON!?!?!?!?
YOOOOOOOOOOOO! Also, I'm not sure I really get the ending. So,
her mom was never there, and it was actually her?
Or something? Thanos talks about
fighting Anwen in the future, not her mother.
I'm a bit confused there. Other than that, sick action sequences. That's for damn sure. But another weird ending for a SW book.

Radioactive Spider-Gwen #2: Really enjoyed it, finally got some action after last issue's set-up. We get to see Gwenverse (since I don't know the number for it) SHIELD. Carter is running it, Cap is definitely Cap, just a different race and gender. Falcon is...interesting? Redwing is a robo-drone (which is apparently how Redwing will be in Captain America: Civil War), and Falcon just wants to shoot everything? Oh, and Peggy Carter is SHIELD director.
Silk is not another Spider, but in fact SILK, some evil organization. I'm very interested in where they're going, but it still feels like too much wheel-spinning. Though the revelation that SILK is behind Peter and the Lizard Formula is very intriguing, not much happened with it. My guess is that there are more Spiders, since Cap immediately thought Gwen was with SILK, and didn't seemed surprised by her powers at all. Then again, she probably was briefed on Gwen before going to New York, so it makes sense that she wouldn't be surprised.

Captain America: White #4: Not much to say in terms of story, since it's already known, but I just wanted to say that this is a very emotionally compelling book, the art is still beautiful, and I'm still loving it.

Batman Beyond #6: What a stupid book. I swear. Like, I didn't know how to feel about it until now, but that's the ending they leave it with?
Tim stranded in the future and Gotham is the only city left on Earth? Not saying much, considering it's been totaled, too.
There had better be more stories involving this book, because otherwise that was immensely dumb.

Illuminati #1: I really like the art. For a book about supervillains, it looks like Lil' Gotham, which is a fun contrast. I enjoyed
the conversation between She-Hulk and Titania about getting a job and trying to live a normal life after being supervillain ex-con. Those kind of stories get to me.
This issue was clearly all set-up, but I'm very much looking forward to the rest of the book. Very intriguing.

All-New, All-Different Avengers #1: Funny, charming, solid art, and good pacing. Easily one of my best pick-ups this week.

The Ultimates #1: Rocafort da gawd. Just...everything is so cool. Not as much action as I wanted, but I'm only looking forward. I'm glad they took a shot at the Illuminati, saying that this team wasn't going to be like that, since it didn't work the last time. Looks like my go-to cosmic book (I'm trying to read more cosmic DC/Marvel books). Can I have the next issue now please?

Messi

It's was great and really low key. Nobody walking about handing you free shit just artist and writers tables everywhere. Would definitely recommend it to anyone.

Were people selling original art? I think I'll get a boat over for next year.

Hagi

Were people selling original art? I think I'll get a boat over for next year.

Oh yeah there was a lot of original art. Sean Murphy had a folder of pages and there was people taking commissions. If I had the money I would have bought some art but I only started my new job last week. I did get a cool Spider Gwen print though so that was cool. Forgot to buy the print Bengal did for Rick Remender during the panic at his table.

Just picked up the iPad Pro. This is the most amazing comic book reader ever!

Will post pics once i get it all setup but WOW. Its big but its amazing on CMX comics

Bii

Oh yeah there was a lot of original art. Sean Murphy had a folder of pages and there was people taking commissions. If I had the money I would have bought some art but I only started my new job last week. I did get a cool Spider Gwen print though so that was cool. Forgot to buy the print Bengal did for Rick Remender during the panic at his table.

I hope that print makes it online for us here in the US to buy.

Batman #46, Capullo seems to be a bit lazy with his art this time around. The composition and details of certain frames is off. Even the cover looks boring.

Messi

Batman #46, Capullo seems to be a bit lazy with his art this time around. The composition and details of certain frames is off. Even the cover looks boring.

Maybe the break from Batman will do him good.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

Really, I feel like this issue looked fucking great. All the Mr. Bloom stuff was rad as hell and kinetic, the
Batman Incorporated Gundam Garage
scene was damn cool, and as usual Gordon looked like a badass. And then there's the Duke stuff with all of the birds--very well done.

I'll give you the boring cover, but overall I was super happy flipping through this issue.

Ok I don't know how well this will be conveyed with photos. The issue is since the iPad pro is bigger its harder to get it in the shot to do clear comparisons. I will say that in general the huge lift it gets is essentially having deluxe/library edition comics for everything you own. And the biggest boost is with the spread page shots. With the Pro you just go full landscape and you can see EVERYTHING without squinting or having to do zoom in smart panels to read things. You can just soak it all in with no problem.

Also you can still do landscape smart panel for even greater zoom in detail. But i was seeing that just full up portrait mode really makes everything look real detailed and flows well.

So lets see if we can do some comparisons (note: ignore the crack that i've been working around the last 2 months). Also you might need to click the images to zoom in and see.

The most obvious choice for sampling landscapes is Sandman Overture. J.H. Williams III practically does the whole comic in splash panels.

Ipad Air 2

Ipad Pro

Compared together

Then I decided to try out Batman Year Zero for more standard comic paneling comparisons. Here are some shots. They go portrait, landscape autofill, and then smart panel

I also did a quick MU update and it wasn't as bad as I feared. Keeping it in portrait no smart panel the comics looked good enough to get by.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Ok I don't know how well this will be conveyed with photos. The issue is since the iPad pro is bigger its harder to get it in the shot to do clear comparisons. I will say that in general the huge lift it gets is essentially having deluxe/library edition comics for everything you own. And the biggest boost is with the spread page shots. With the Pro you just go full landscape and you can see EVERYTHING without squinting or having to do zoom in smart panels to read things. You can just soak it all in with no problem.

Also you can still do landscape smart panel for even greater zoom in detail. But i was seeing that just full up portrait mode really makes everything look real detailed and flows well.

So lets see if we can do some comparisons (note: ignore the crack that i've been working around the last 2 months). Also you might need to click the images to zoom in and see.

The most obvious choice for sampling landscapes is Sandman Overture. J.H. Williams III practically does the whole comic in splash panels.

Ipad Air 2

Ipad Pro

Compared together

Then I decided to try out Batman Year Zero for more standard comic paneling comparisons. Here are some shots. They go portrait, landscape autofill, and then smart panel

I also did a quick MU update and it wasn't as bad as I feared. Keeping it in portrait no smart panel the comics looked good enough to get by.

Its basicly a device that transforms everything into OHCs...

I was looking at it and thinking...yeah I could do with an upgrade, that looks really sweet. I went to apple.com and seen the price.

hGIvAEd.gif

Now I am here convincing myself that I don't need it.

SEVEN HUNDRED AND NINETY NINE US DOLLARS!

And that's the cheapest one! I don't think I like comics that much.

Mindwipe

I was looking at it and thinking...yeah I could do with an upgrade, that looks really sweet. I went to apple.com and seen the price.

hGIvAEd.gif

Now I am here convincing myself that I don't need it.

Also man, remember we're talking about a company that is totally happy with allowing 50 Shades of Gray to be sold directly, but blocks Sunstone from being sold via CMX on their devices period.

Tim Cook's "openness" to sexual minorities doesn't extend to BDSM ones.

Messi

SEVEN HUNDRED AND NINETY NINE US DOLLARS!

And that's the cheapest one! I don't think I like comics that much.

Basic one here is $1010.00

Also man, remember we're talking about a company that is totally happy with allowing 50 Shades of Gray to be sold directly, but blocks Sunstone from being sold via CMX on their devices period.

Tim Cook's "openness" to sexual minorities doesn't extend to BDSM ones.

Disgraceful on multiple levels.

Top Bottom