• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| November 2015. The much-anticipated sequel to October's OT.

But you bought Devil Dinosaur

C98tkOl.gif

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Good quality, inoffensive book that is never really truly fantastic but is never awful. worth reading in trade imo.

I thought the first arc was okay, but I dropped it after that. I ain't got no time for middling comics. Regardless of whether I like the theme or not.
It felt like is was going for heavy atmosphere in the first arc, but it wasn't really amazing in that regard either. But if I hear it found a good groove I'll definitely get back into it.

Meanwhile I'm going through MIND MGMT and completely in love with it.

VanWinkle

Oh man. Amazon taking 30% extra off any book (up to $10 extra off) with promo code HOLIDAY30. I think it might be one-time use? I think.

Lying Cat statue 8'. Preorders TheSagaShop.com Friday.

91191a914eb120b4255665d74141fd90.jpg

• Payment at time of order or when it ships?
  • What the hell am I supposed to do with an uncolored CG render? That's hardly a substitute for a prototype. This thing could turn out horribly. Royo Wonder Woman had an amazing prototype and still turned out badly.

Tizoc

^I can vouch for that, at least it runs a 100 times better than the PC ver.

What a black day, my 2 prized Hardcovers of All-Star Supes are missing :(
Ordered the complete edition TPB for around $15 from IST, no worries.
If I manage to find my HCs I'll just give the TPB I'm to my fav. relative :3

Man, I've been sleeping since Fallout 4 came out. Didn't realize a bunch of stuff came out.... Put in an IST order for:

GIANT DAYS TP VOL 01
INVISIBLE REPUBLIC TP VOL 01
KABUKI LIBRARY HC VOL 02
LOW TP VOL 02 BEFORE THE DAWN BURNS US
USAGI YOJIMBO SAGA TP VOL 05

It's gone now, I'll be happy if at least one of you guys got it. Guess I made the right choice getting a refund on the pc version, thought I would have to wait until GOTY on console to play it again.

Messi

91191a914eb120b4255665d74141fd90.jpg

• Payment at time of order or when it ships?
  • What the hell am I supposed to do with an uncolored CG render? That's hardly a substitute for a prototype. This thing could turn out horribly. Royo Wonder Woman had an amazing prototype and still turned out badly.

I can't answer your questions

Tizoc

Oh man. Amazon taking 30% extra off any book (up to $10 extra off) with promo code HOLIDAY30. I think it might be one-time use? I think.

Time to order some more books, when does the code expire I won't be home for another 10 hours or so :/

Dalek

Why are they sticking with this new-look Groot in GOTG with long "hair"? He looks fucking stupid. Then again-the entire book is fucking stupid.

EDIT: That said Groot #6 is awesome and has a hilarious Wolverine sight gag.

Foofaraw

20% off MU 1 year subscription. Coupon code - TREAT

Jump on the 6 month behind train! I really love the Marvel Epic collection books, but I'm having a hard time justifying buying more now that I have so much good old comics on this App. The Fantastic Four Vol 1 epic collection is on super sale on IST, but I already can read that stuff on MU. Makes me feel bad that I'm not buying more Marvel trades, but my wallet is very happy with it. I will be much much happier for it if I end up going to Grad school next year and have MU be the majority of my comics budget.

Picked up Frankenstein Underground today, forgot it was out!
That was a solid book. Makes me wish they'd do more with Frankenstein as a character, assuming that he wasn't used in any of the non-Hellboy books.
Also finished watching Jessica Jones. Really enjoyed it. David Tennant was phenomenal. Now to watch Daredevil.
I ALSO just finished JJ (and loved it a lot) and I ALSO plan on
re
watching DD.

Owzers

best black fridayish purchase: Carly Rae Jepsen's Emotion cd from target for $7, in-store pickup whenever i get around to it. I might put an IST order in....but i'm so far behind on trades i lack the urgency to buy second volumes of things i haven't read the first of.

Anyone read X-Men Season One? It's Hopeless, so I'm not expecting the world as far as the writing, but that McKelvie art is yum. There's a one use code on Amazon right now (HOLIDAY30) to get 30% off a single book. Brings X-Men down to $12.

For the record, it's not on MU for some reason.

Thanks for the heads up. Ordered the Carl Barks Uncle Scrooge Box Set. Coupon is perfectly maximised. :D

Jump on the 6 month behind train! I really love the Marvel Epic collection books, but I'm having a hard time justifying buying more now that I have so much good old comics on this App. The Fantastic Four Vol 1 epic collection is on super sale on IST, but I already can read that stuff on MU. Makes me feel bad that I'm not buying more Marvel trades, but my wallet is very happy with it. I will be much much happier for it if I end up going to Grad school next year and have MU be the majority of my comics budget.

Definitely.I will be subscribing again next year once I've made a dent into my physical backlog.

Mindwipe

Meanwhile I'm going through MIND MGMT and completely in love with it.

I feel like MIND MGMT will fly when it's finished and be a perennial seller. It's a great book.

Bah, I might actually bite on that overpriced Multiversity hardback if Amazon UK were doing this.

Halfway through the 700-800 reading block of the Chronological Reading Order for Marvel's 616. It's been tough. The last few issues of the 600-700 issue block was amazing, ending with Spiderman's 50th Issue and story arch of 'Spiderman No More'.
So it was always going to be a bit of a tough act to follow, sadly they didn't even try. The order restarts with A LOT (around 15 issues) of Thor flashback stories, which I've had little interest in since the beginning.

I find Thor to be the most dislikeable of all the heroes created so far, he's so arrogant and self-righteous, I'm not sure how anyone can tolerate him. Yet, almost the exact same character of Hercules I really like, because he seems to have a ton of fun being a God/Titan.
Thor's supporting characters are pretty interesting though, and they're the only thing that really saves the Flashback issues. Loki hasn't really evolved much, yet.

The Hulk has been floundering too over the last few issues of Tales to Astonish, and he's just had a REAL bad run of issues where everyone and their dog manipulates him to destroy something.
Puppet Master and Loki both takes turns to directly influence the Hulk's mind for their own ends. However, I really enjoyed The Hulk attacking Asgard and it led over to the first of the new Hulk issues - yay!

Namor has went from being one of the most interesting characters to another love triangle confused fool. He's spent his entire life waging war on the land, yet decides he better make sure no one is attacking the land living... but bumps into the Hulk and persuades him to attack them... it was odd.

Avengers has been really good, if only because it feels like it has a true continuity with lots of call backs to previous issues and even standalone issues from other lines. Captain America has retired as Steve Rogers, something that has been on his mind for a while across Avengers and Tales of Suspense, so it was interesting to see it finally play out. He did this because he wanted to marry Agent 13, but she broke his heart when she said she couldn't - for 'reasons'.
Magneto has returned, as has the Black Knight! I REALLY like how they've handled the Black Knight. He's went from a throw away villian in Iron Man, to suddenly having this really interesting back story that has affected other people - his Nephew and co-worker. That's all linked in with how Magneto has returned to Earth too. It's pretty clever. Magneto plays Wanda and Peitro like a damn fiddle, and uses the United Nations as the bow to manipulate them into leaving the Avengers and joining his Brotherhood of EVIL Mutants.
Yes, he actually called them the Brotherhood of EVIL Mutants. Oh well.

If Avengers hadn't been as good as it has been, I don't think I'd have managed to get through as much of the current order as I have so far. However, the Avengers are currently on their knees, as it's interesting to see how the group dynamic is dealing with Captain America retiring, Magneto returning with Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver defecting back to the Brotherhood of EVIL Mutants.
Oh and Pym has decided he wants to be Antman again.

Pym's character has been a bit of a disaster really. He seems to change his mind back and forth every 10th issue on just who he is and what power he's going to use. He's been:

Ant-Man
Giant Man
Retired
Goliath
Ant-Man again.

In fact, I feel like I've probably missed someone/something out. The writers have tried to give reasons for his decisions, but they either never follow through on the reasons or are quickly forgotten. If anything I feel like Pym is heading for a mental breakdown at some point.

There's been no Spider-Man so far, but I was treated to a 40 page spectacle of Daredevil's first annual... which featured a great retelling of all his best moments... I cried.
There's been very little to do with Tony Stark/Iron Man too.

Oh and the X-Men continues to be bad. They've been trying to rescue Professor Xavier forever from Factor Three. It's a shame as the story started off really well, with Xavier trying to save his brother Juggernaut from the bands of cyttorak and the curse they've placed on him. However, things go wrong as Factor Three have planted a mind trap in Juggernaut that triggers when Xavier starts to probe. OH NOES!
So, I'm sitting there thinking 'wow, what a great setup! X-Men is finally going somewhere!'.
Oh, how wrong I was. The X-Men assemble and quickly decide they need to save Professor X... and then take 13 issues to even attempt to anything about it (I might have lied here). At one point they even do a fund raiser so they can afford tickets to go to Europe so they can save him (I'm not lying here).
Thankfully they do finally save him from Factor Three, and as a reward Professor Xavier decides that now's the time for Jean to show everyone the new costumes she's been making... seriously.

I'll leave you with this image that made me chuckle.

I love that he Cap discovers that Steve Rogers is a bloke that just likes to sit at home in his Wifebeater watching TV. A True American!

Tizoc

That's some dedication to read the Marvel comics chronologically.
I'd never do that, just get the good stories and leave the rest.

My least favorite game of the year. What a snoozer.

It's also my runner up for GOTY.

Yeah I only played two new games this year.

Go grab Kero Blaster from Steam
http://store.steampowered.com/app/292500/
It can run on any pc and is Keyboard control by default

Best shooting game I played this year.

tim1138

I think your Darkseid obsession has gone too far Tim

Speaking of DC. Any recommended DC deep cuts i should look into. I think i've got them all already. Hell i'm planning on buying all silver age flash that CMX has available

My recommendation for a niche title to look into:

Hard Time
Its 12 issues and its about a high school kid that is on death row after being part of a Columbine school shooting incident. Its half about him trying to survive in prison and also he has this ability to project a spirit to go do things. I remember liking it when it originally came out and there's no way it'll ever get a trade/reprint

Silver Age Flash is a great pickup.
Other recommendations, hmmm, I imagine you have most of the good stuff from other sales but here's some recommendations that may not necessarily be deep cuts, but I don't recall ever being discussed here:

Ostrander/Mandrake's Spectre (the last issue of the run should go up next week)
The '97 Anarky miniseries by Grant/Breyfogle
Silver Age Green Lantern
Green Lantern Mosaic
Hawkworld
The 97-99 Resurrection Man series
Any Warren Ellis you don't have
Sword of the Atom
Peter Milligan's Egypt (final issue should go up next week)
Shade the Changing Man
Daytripper
Kid Eternity
The Trenchcoat Brigade

The same book, actually.

What do Superman and Harley Quinn have in common? JL3K1 SPOILERS:
they were both brutally murdered by Keith Giffen today.

Re: Superman
that may have been the most tonally perfect death in comics. I laughed out loud when I read that sequence

Owzers

That deal on MU is really tempting. Annual subscription would be less than 50 euro. And everything gets added after 6 months?
Most things, they haven't been including marvel max books, but marvel rarely has new ones anyways. I'm glad they are putting their Star Wars books on MU though.

Most things, they haven't been including marvel max books, but marvel rarely has new ones anyways. I'm glad they are putting their Star Wars books on MU though.

I can live with that, its a really good deal.

CMX wish list ready to go for the B1G1 DC sale tomorrow. All of Waid's 90s Flash run. LeMire's Green Arrow. Johns' Aquaman. issues of Midnighter, Grayson, Omega Men, and a few other bits. Little over 300 euro. Can't wait to see what comes off with the sale.

It's probably been asked a few times but I couldn't see it. Do I NEED to read Dark Knight Strikes Again before DK3? I've read TDKR and hear nothing but bad things on the sequel.

Silver Age Flash is a great pickup.
Other recommendations, hmmm, I imagine you have most of the good stuff from other sales but here's some recommendations that may not necessarily be deep cuts, but I don't recall ever being discussed here:

Ostrander/Mandrake's Spectre (the last issue of the run should go up next week)
The '97 Anarky miniseries by Grant/Breyfogle
Silver Age Green Lantern
Green Lantern Mosaic
Hawkworld
The 97-99 Resurrection Man series
Any Warren Ellis you don't have
Sword of the Atom
Peter Milligan's Egypt (final issue should go up next week)
Shade the Changing Man
Daytripper
Kid Eternity
The Trenchcoat Brigade
Sweet. Thanks. I had most of those on the list but added some more. Man Monday will be awesome!

I'm gonna use this to get the Usagi Yojimbo set that came out I think. I need to think about it though. But that would be a steal considering it's like $47 right now before a coupon.
It's probably been asked a few times but I couldn't see it. Do I NEED to read Dark Knight Strikes Again before DK3? I've read TDKR and hear nothing but bad things on the sequel.
I haven't read DK3 but I think people have said that you don't ~need~ to read DKSA to read this. TDKR should be fine.

Also just read this:
0bn1Sfr.jpg

Absolutely adored it. It's a relatively short graphic novel about a guy named Noel who gives up his life of crime to try and settle down with a girl in upstate New York. The artwork is amazing and the dialogue and characters are incredibly charming. This comic is just fun to read through and I highly recommended to everyone! One of the best comics I've read this year and I've read quite a few books this year. Pick it up if you want a nice standalone story, you won't be disappointed.

Only downside is that it's out of print and it's not available digitally. I was able to get a cheap used copy off of Amazon however. Very worth it.

Tizoc

Oh come on seems if you use the code but NOT complete your purchase it still counts as if you used the code.
Come on Amazon....

Bii

Thanks for the heads up. Used it on a Batman Moleskine notebook I've been eyeing. Needed a new one since I can't find my other notebook.

Oh come on seems if you use the code but NOT complete your purchase it still counts as if you used the code.
Come on Amazon....

You sure it's not applying it on the left-hand side. I entered it but then backed out and returned later so I had to sign in and I couldn't input it again but it still had it listed on my account and was automatically subtracting it from my total.

Top Bottom