• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2014. Witches, wytches, and things that go GROOT in the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marvel is on the prowl again!

Years-of-Future-Past-2015-5461e.jpg

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Ms. Marvel continuing to be a shining example of excellent comic work!

Haven't even read this week's issue and I know it's going to be damn good. This series is one of my favorites right now.

Marvel is on the prowl again!

Okay, these are obviously all teasers building up to some big announcement. I'm just curious to see what it ends up being.

Ms. Marvel continuing to be a shining example of excellent comic work!

Haven't gotten to it yet. The first thing I read today was Trees, believe it or not. It's very character-driven and hasn't actually had much to do with the "trees" themselves as of yet, but Ellis is writing some really great and interesting characters.

All the GL books are taking place at the same time. Here's a reading list based on trades:

http://www.readingorders.com/Collections/GreenLantern

From that skip all three volumes of Brightest Day, Green Lantern Emerald Warriors, and once the New 52 stuff begins skip all of Red Lanterns (it was terrible). You can also skip all of the volume 3 books and read the Rise of the Third Army and Wrath of the First Lantern collections instead as they collect everything from those third volumes.
Bruuuh thank you so much

I read the new trade of Warren Ellis' Moon Knight today. I thought it was kinda weird, but still pretty enjoyable. Definitely gave some Extremis vibes.

I also read book two of Lemire's Animal Man. It continues to impress.

And as for my top three runs, I haven't been reading comics long enough to have gotten through one writer's whole run on a series more than twice (Morrison's All-Star Superman and Milligan's Justice League Dark, and the latter was only eight issues).

Parch

Okay, these are obviously all teasers building up to some big announcement. I'm just curious to see what it ends up being.
Yeah, what are we getting? One tease per day? That's some old school X-Men there, so if it is one big announcement and not necessarily an event, it's something historical.

FinalHeaven

Neo Member
Ordered. If this turns out to be as neat as it sounds I shall return to praise you as the hero you are.

Alright, Tyrant Rave is a hero.

I really like Deadly Class and I'm only 3 issues in. Even better is that I found a site with a subscription with good prices for Canadians.

frye

The problem with Johns on Green Lantern is that everything builds up to Blackest Night and Blackest Night itself is a dud of a comic compared to whatever it was you thought it was gonna be.

And then it keeps going... and going... and going

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Is Rotworld skippable, or is it too heavily tied to both books?

I'm gonna need tim to confirm this, because I had a fucking aneurysm during that shitshow of an event, but it's HEAVILY tied to both books because it's so many damn issues (as I recall it), and you're shown the shared world that Lemire and Snyder tried to create but failed at. Also, yeah, "important" stuff happens at the tail-end for the rest of the series.

Animal Man never fully recovers from Rotworld, but you get one or two solid issues after.

Filthy Slug

I'm gonna read Rotworld anyway. If I like it, great, if not, whatever.

Yeah, man, go for it. I wouldn't recommend anybody skip it because you'd be skipping half the Animal Man run, and maybe you'll find some value in those issues.

Just look forward to the Annual that comes after Rotworld. It's great.

tim1138

I'm gonna read Rotworld anyway. If I like it, great, if not, whatever.

Nudull said:
Is Rotworld skippable, or is it too heavily tied to both books?

For the love of God, skip RotWorld! Skip issues 13-17, then pick it back up with issue 18 because that sets up the rest of the series. Be sure to read the second annual for Lemire/Foreman goodness and a really touching story.

Filthy Slug

For the love of God, skip RotWorld! Skip issues 13-17, then pick it back up with issue 18 because that sets up the rest of the series. Be sure to read the second annual for Lemire/Foreman goodness and a really touching story.

Yeap. That and the last issue were the only ones that I enjoyed in the second half of the run.

Owzers

The problem with Johns on Green Lantern is that everything builds up to Blackest Night and Blackest Night itself is a dud of a comic compared to whatever it was you thought it was gonna be.

And then it keeps going... and going... and going

yup. I at least found Blackest Night to be readable, but Johns tanked GL.

tim1138

Yeap. That and the last issue were the only ones that I enjoyed in the second half of the run.

I really liked issue 20 (the second
Red Thunder
issue) a lot as well. But that also ties into what makes the second annual so good, hits those same emotional beats.

Apart of me believes Marvel is trying to Infinite Crisis the universe but instead of making something new.. they are going to create a hellish status quo.

Yeah I'm really worried about that because Hickman is engineering this and if it's one thing he's terrible at it's generating a status quo.

In other news, UXM was so great. Based Bendis.

Yeah I'm really worried about that because Hickman is engineering this and if it's one thing he's terrible at it's generating a status quo.

In other news, UXM was so great. Based Bendis.

It's probably going to be something come up with collectively under his execution. Wouldn't be surprised if Bendis has some part in it. Secret Wars is supposed to tie in with EVERY book.

Hit the fucking jackpot today. Wife gave me the ok to get Zombie Batman statue but like I said, it didn't floor me. We went out shopping and on the way home we stopped at a comic shop we don't normally go to. They had a 12 year old Young Justice Robin statue with no tag on it. I asked how much it was and they went and got the box and he said its $175 but it hasn't sold for 12 years and if I want it for $65, it's mine. Did not hesitate.

B0BY9CuIIAAem8_.jpg

So I just read axis #2 and well
Fuck Nova, leave it to a new warrior to make shit significantly worse

I just read Axis #2 also and it was an awful read. But one line made absolutely no sense what so ever.
They make a big deal about how everyone is working together. Then they mention that
"Cyclops is fighting besides sworn enemies".
What the fuck?
Since when are any of the Avengers or X-men sworn enemies of Cyclops?

Marvel's constant character assassination of Scott has become more than tiresome.

Hagi

I just read Axis #2 also and it was an awful read. But one line made absolutely no sense what so ever.
They make a big deal about how everyone is working together. Then they mention that
What the fuck?

Marvel's constant character assassination of Scott has become more than tiresome.

The guy is a wanted fugitive hated by both populations. I don't think its unfair to say that the Avengers are his enemies. Personally though I find Alex to be a tad hyperbolic.

Still reading through Uncanny Avengers and issue 14 is absolutely mental, based Remender firing on all cylinders.

What the fuck?

Beaten to it, but Scott has been a wanted fugitive since he broke out of prison for killing charles Xavier and almost burning the planet to ash During AvX.

He and his team have been hunted by the Avengers for 27 issues now in Uncanny, and the fact that his team of new recruits keeps embarrassing the Avengers and SHIELD *badly* every time they cross paths doesn't help.

Filthy Slug

Catwoman_CN_print.jpg

$150, yes?
That is a fuckton of white border for a 150 bones. Do you know the printing method and the type of paper used? Like, the image is great, but you always gotta keep quality in mind.

Zombine

Banned
That is a fuckton of white border for a 150 bones. Do you know the printing method and the type of paper used? Like, the image is great, but you always gotta keep quality in mind.

I never took that into consideration. It's limited to 100 pieces and they said something about metal on the back.

I can't be the only one here who actually liked Rotworld :(

There's only one big thing Animal Man related that happens at the end of Rotworld. I think you can skip it.

nah Rotworld didn't bother me, I waited for it to be all done and read it all at once though

Yeah, man, go for it. I wouldn't recommend anybody skip it because you'd be skipping half the Animal Man run, and maybe you'll find some value in those issues.

Just look forward to the Annual that comes after Rotworld. It's great.

that annual was awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom