• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2014. Witches, wytches, and things that go GROOT in the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gabbo

Finally was able to get my hands on Turok #8 and Veil #5 today (and Supreme: Blur Rose #4) after what seems like forever.

Ms.Marvel
Young Avengers-Gillen and McKelvie
Lumberjanes
The Runaways
Rat Queens
Batgirl
Gotham academy
Morning Glories

Ms. Marvel was excellent this week. Fantastic artwork, writing and pacing.

Edge of the Spiderverse.

Lol! Count the Amime references.

I saw
Eva, Akira, Gurren Lagann, and Ghost in a Shell.

Hey Comic-Gaf, question for you. My GF is writing an article about graphic novels that are great for or aimed at a more teen audience, especially ones that have been released in the last year or two. So more like recent YA graphic novels, I guess. I haven't been reading much this year besides what I was reading on Marvel Unlimited, so I am not really of much use here, but I was hoping someone here could offer some suggestions. Thanks!

New Warriors kind of

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Marvel is on the prowl again!

Years-of-Future-Past-2015-5461e.jpg

ok, if they keep pumping out more of these "event" posters, i think i may geek out.

at this point, im honestly expecting an AoA/clone wars poster any day now.

Cheska

What the hell was going on with Batwoman this week? Batwoman space adventure? Whaaaaa?
This issue was such a cop out. I hate shit like this, oh "tune in next time to find out how this started". I don't mind cliffhangers, but I hate when they start things from the end and go backwards.

This issue was such a cop out. I hate shit like this, oh "tune in next time to find out how this started". I don't mind cliffhangers, but I hate when they start things from the end and go backwards.

I no rite? I don't care if they send her to space, but what they did here makes me feel like I'm picking up a story arc two-thirds of the way through.

Goddamnit Superior Foes, you beautiful son of a gun. I salute you.

I know right? Gonna be sad to see the end but Spencer and Lieber really gave us something special.

I read somewhere that Spencer is gonna go for a similar tone in Ant-Man. If that's true, I am SO on board for that.

ReAxion

I know right? Gonna be sad to see the end but Spencer and Lieber really gave us something special.

I read somewhere that Spencer is gonna go for a similar tone in Ant-Man. If that's true, I am SO on board for that.

Yeah, I was just thinking before I started that I'm finally coming to grips with it ending. Just let this team work again.

Owzers

Real comic vs Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 vs Ipad 3. Same stufffff.

GEDC0044_zps4612baac.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

not sure how i feel about the Tab S so far, it's nice and light, screen is bigger and proper ratio for comics than ipad. The AMOLED has a slight blue tint on white backgrounds and it's not as well built and sturdy as an ipad, the backing feels like it wants to warp but i don't think it has. Marvel Unlimited always wants to not load comics on android too.

Nudull

Banned

So, I should probably check out the rest of Superior Foes before I dig into his Ant-Man?

I need the help badly. My friend isn't exactly
A stellar shooter player, and you know how MLG I am...I try to be nice but holy fuck is it annoying.

What does this even mean lol

Ask GH or Korrupt and you'll find out. Lol

When he joins our party it's like an angel of vengeance descending from the heavens to bless us with crucible wins.. But Zombine has certain standards and has threatened that if we ever drop below a positive KD/R he'll unfriend us. Sometimes he'll even yell at us if we're doing less than 2.0 KD/R.

Not everything in this statement is factually accurate.

Or is it?

ReiGun

Marvel has been killing it this week, Ms. Marvel and Magneto especially.

Hey Rei, haven't seen you in a while. I can officially read Teen Titans again?

I haven't been reading much, so my posting has gone way down. When I think of all I have to catch up on...

Yes, Teen Titans is good again. It's not changing the comics game or anything, but I'm not bored to tears/utterly irritated while I'm reading it like I was back when Lobdell was driving the ship.

frye

1. Edge of Spider-Verse features the cast of Evangelion, my dudes Kaneda and Yamagata, Spider-Ham, and JRJR's godlike jacket Spider-Man costume. This whole series hit 3 issues outta 5 for me, so p decent for someone who has no interest in the main event. Random 10/10

2. Justice League is readable for the first time in like 3 years

3. Sixis is p much less good Uncanny Avengers -- we may have reached the Final Execution point of UXF

I had a question about Gillen's Young Avengers run. I've only read the original Allan Heinberg run of the book. Can I just jump into Gillen's YA or is there other required reading? I haven't read Children's Crusade and I noticed Young Loki is in it so I'm assuming I need to read JiM?

frye

There's a huge spoiler for JiM in Young Avengers. I'd say if you were gonna read JiM anyway (which you should, it's quite good) then read that first.

e: don't read Children's Crusade

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Peni? Now there's a name just asking for trouble in school.

This week's comics have been OK but a bit underwhelming. New Avengers was moving the pieces about, Axis was (even more) bluster and noise not saying much of anything. Daredevil was fine but was a classic middle chapter, Batman Eternal was its usual C+ level stuff.

I ended up chain reading 6 issues of Hickman's Avengers instead of carrying on with my new stack. This is the good stuff.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I ended up chain reading 6 issues of Hickman's Avengers instead of carrying on with my new stack. This is the good stuff.

It really is. You pick up a lot of little things reading them side by side that you normally wouldn't. It's so good.

New Avengers was great. I can't help but wonder
where the hell Tony is

New Avengers has blown me away with how good it is. The way they are building up to a big event and slowly introducing new threats and concepts is so perfect and the writing and art is always top notch. I just hope the payoff is good because IMO Hickman's FF didn't really conclude good and left a lot of loose ends.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
New Avengers has blown me away with how good it is. The way they are building up to a big event and slowly introducing new threats and concepts is so perfect and the writing and art is always top notch. I just hope the payoff is good because IMO Hickman's FF didn't really conclude good and left a lot of loose ends.

Defend yourself. Vigorously.

What are some of these loose ends? Because having just re-read it, I don't think I could tell you any.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
It really is. You pick up a lot of little things reading them side by side that you normally wouldn't. It's so good.

New Avengers was great. I can't help but wonder
where the hell Tony is

Yeah totally. It's also useful to be reminded of the start of the run and all of the character introductions. I'd forgotten about Hyperion's story which really does seem utterly key to all of this. Love his and Thor's bromance early on - there is a panel in one of the Kubert issues that is so gloriously homoerotic and cute. So for them two to be stepping into the breach now is very exciting. I'd forgotten most of the stuff about he planetary defense systems too so there's lots in there to catch up on.

It's funny, even though this stuff is some of my very favourite, I still hesitate to recommend it to people because it's so dense and referential. Enough to put a newbie off comics for life I should think. But it's so damn good.

What are some of these loose ends? Because having just re-read it, I don't think I could tell you any.

It's been a good two years but from what I remember:

-In the middle of the run Thinkerer and Diablo get captured and they show them in prison a couple issues later but then there never mentioned again.
-IIRC there is still an evil reed richards out there somewhere (I remember 3 survived the big battle and 2 of them merged to become supremor)
-What happened with the bridge? First Dr. Doom took control of it and it never said what he did there and then later Reed gives it to his future daughter but is it still around?
-What was the point of that .1 issue about Nazi Reed Richards? Was he going to come back or something?

I would really need to go back and re-read the run because I know there was a lot of stuff unanswered that i've forgotten about. It was a good run though and my first real exploration of the 616 universe. I've dabbled in other writers FF series (bryne, waid, fraction, robinson) but I just wasn't feeling it. Hickman made the team interesting.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
It's been a good two years but from what I remember:

-In the middle of the run Thinkerer and Diablo get captured and they show them in prison a couple issues later but then there never mentioned again.
-IIRC there is still an evil reed richards out there somewhere (I remember 3 survived the big battle and 2 of them merged to become supremor)
-What happened with the bridge? First Dr. Doom took control of it and it never said what he did there and then later Reed gives it to his future daughter but is it still around?
-What was the point of that .1 issue about Nazi Reed Richards? Was he going to come back or something?

I would really need to go back and re-read the run because I know there was a lot of stuff unanswered that i've forgotten about. It was a good run though and my first real exploration of the 616 universe. I've dabbled in other writers FF series (bryne, waid, fraction, robinson) but I just wasn't feeling it. Hickman made the team interesting.

- If Thinker and Diablo were captured then they're off the board - they weren't essential to the run anyway, they were just there for the supervillain symposium and subsequent fight, their parts were over
- IIRC, one of the evil Reeds was killed and then the other two made the Supremor - could well be wrong though and he might be a purposeful loose end for later.
- The Doom thing I forgot until I re-read it - when he was inside the pocket dimension with all the other Dooms he went through the bridge and started a new universe that kicked his arse and kept him prisoner. Reed, pappa Richards and Val saved him from his own universe ("I was a god. I found it beneath me" haha so awesome), and then Val got to keep the council's pocket universe.
- I think it was just because it was awesome. Neat little Elseworlds story with a twist at the end.

I think the biggest misstep of the run was all the Inhumans stuff. It's not so bad in collected form but damn that was boring and confusing as it came out. It was kind of worth it to get the Supremor, but it was very cold and wooly compared to the core FF story that it was interrupting.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

There's one or two plot points that weren't entirely resolved but Hickman's picked them up for his Avengers run. If you go into the New Avengers thread there's a pretty good looking theory as to what the hell is causing the incursions that has it's genesis in his FF run.

Yeah totally. It's also useful to be reminded of the start of the run and all of the character introductions. I'd forgotten about Hyperion's story which really does seem utterly key to all of this. Love his and Thor's bromance early on - there is a panel in one of the Kubert issues that is so gloriously homoerotic and cute. So for them two to be stepping into the breach now is very exciting. I'd forgotten most of the stuff about he planetary defense systems too so there's lots in there to catch up on.

It's funny, even though this stuff is some of my very favourite, I still hesitate to recommend it to people because it's so dense and referential. Enough to put a newbie off comics for life I should think. But it's so damn good.

I know, plus you've got to be really into sci-fi to like it. It's far from the sort of standard superhero fanfare, it's more like superheroes starring in a sci-fi novel.

- If Thinker and Diablo were captured then they're off the board - they weren't essential to the run anyway, they were just there for the supervillain symposium and subsequent fight, their parts were over
- IIRC, one of the evil Reeds was killed and then the other two made the Supremor - could well be wrong though and he might be a purposeful loose end for later.
- The Doom thing I forgot until I re-read it - when he was inside the pocket dimension with all the other Dooms he went through the bridge and started a new universe that kicked his arse and kept him prisoner. Reed, pappa Richards and Val saved him from his own universe ("I was a god. I found it beneath me" haha so awesome), and then Val got to keep the council's pocket universe.
- I think it was just because it was awesome. Neat little Elseworlds story with a twist at the end.

I think the biggest misstep of the run was all the Inhumans stuff. It's not so bad in collected form but damn that was boring and confusing as it came out. It was kind of worth it to get the Supremor, but it was very cold and wooly compared to the core FF story that it was interrupting.

Yea the inhumane stuff was really confusing for me too because I never read that whole marvel cosmic saga from Annhiliation - Thanos Imperative which Hickman pulled a lot from. I still am confused since the Ronan that's in the Guardians of the Galaxy film is verrryyy different from the one portrayed in Hickman's FF. In GoTG
He's just some random villain who is racist against other alien species and then just blows up at the end
in Hickman's run he's portrayed as a hero and nobel defender of the Kree and married to an Inhuman.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Yea the inhumane stuff was really confusing for me too because I never read that whole marvel cosmic saga from Annhiliation - Thanos Imperative which Hickman pulled a lot from. I still am confused since the Ronan that's in the Guardians of the Galaxy film is verrryyy different from the one portrayed in Hickman's FF. In GoTG
He's just some random villain who is racist against other alien species and then just blows up at the end
in Hickman's run he's portrayed as a hero and nobel defender of the Kree and married to an Inhuman.

That's because the GotG film, great as it was, pretty much fucked Ronan's character. He's more Lawful Neutral IMO. The FF portrayal is how he really is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom