• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2014. Witches, wytches, and things that go GROOT in the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, so is Bendis/Maleev's Spider-Woman supposed to be good? With Alias coming out and having read Scarlet pretty recently, Bendis's older stuff (especially the Maleev stuff) is much more on my radar.

OH. Right.
I actually got about halfway through making that avatar the day after you asked me to make it. I drew the face and mask and was really happy about it, but then I got artist's block and had no idea what context to put the floating head in.
I will almost definitely get that finished one way or another tonight. Sorry about that!

Read the BENDIS/maleev moon knight

Hey, so is Bendis/Maleev's Spider-Woman supposed to be good? With Alias coming out and having read Scarlet pretty recently, Bendis's older stuff (especially the Maleev stuff) is much more on my radar.

OH. Right.
I actually got about halfway through making that avatar the day after you asked me to make it. I drew the face and mask and was really happy about it, but then I got artist's block and had no idea what context to put the floating head in.
I will almost definitely get that finished one way or another tonight. Sorry about that!

Sweet, no rush mang

Ooh, DC sale on IST. Some Absolutes and Omnibuses on sale too. Tempted by the Brightest Day omnibus ($36) and DC New 52 Villains Omnibus ($72). Will the New 52 Villains Omnibus be interesting even if I haven't ready anything from the New 52?

oh wow

brightest day is tempting

so is the joker luthor absolute, even though I own both of those books in hardcover already, and only REALLY liked Luthor.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
So I forgot that I had Gotham Academy on subscribe on Comixology.

I read it. I don't know what I was expecting exactly but I feel like I can't get mad at it because it's exactly what I thought it would be and I'm not 100% sure who the audience for the book is.

Planet Hulk seems to be in name only. The poster looks like its about Captain America stranded on a world full of hulks. It would have been better if it was a retelling of the original story but with different twists here and there.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Godshead was just okay this week, I kind of felt like the story could have been told in two pages.

This has sort of been the GLC cross-over format.

John gets sent on side mission, meets back up with hal at the end of the book and the big reveal is the reveal that was already at the end of the GL book the week before.

I would rather them either

1) Give John a non-tied story to pursue
2) Give him a plot thread to pursue that actually impacts the larger story
3) Just turn these events into glorified weeklies running across 4 books that continue the same plot thread.

I actually feel that Green Lantern has been at it's best since Blackest night since Geoff John's departure (Green Lantern War was okish, the first lantern arc was really half-hearted at best), but GLC feels more like it's become side stories to keep everyone happy that side character x is still kicking.

I guess that's been the fate of GLC during most of the Johns run as well barring Sinestro Corps and Green Lantern War.

This has sort of been the GLC cross-over format.

John gets sent on side mission, meets back up with hal at the end of the book and the big reveal is the reveal that was already at the end of the GL book the week before.

I guess that's been the fate of GLC during most of the Johns run as well barring Sinestro Corps and Green Lantern War.

Well, it's like John is the cop that is three days from retirement and he just wants out and he is too old for this shit but they keep pulling him back in.

Messi

So I forgot that I had Gotham Academy on subscribe on Comixology.

I read it. I don't know what I was expecting exactly but I feel like I can't get mad at it because it's exactly what I thought it would be and I'm not 100% sure who the audience for the book is.

Teen girls and people who enjoy school mystery/antics.

The Messi demographic if you will.

Planet Hulk seems to be in name only. The poster looks like its about Captain America stranded on a world full of hulks. It would have been better if it was a retelling of the original story but with different twists here and there.

In this version the Illuminati throws Cap into space for being the worst wielder of the Infinity Gauntlet ever

Does the nu52 Detective Comics ever get good? I heard there is some good stuff in there eventually but I'm ten issues in and losing faith (the fact that DC is still charging three bucks for old books because they have a crappy backup isn't helping). If it does get good, is there stuff I can/should skip or does it all tie together?

Surely somebody has been reading Detective...

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Dear Kipp,
I hope you didn't forget about me.

Yours Truly,, ThyMusicMan

Yeah, so, I apologize. I was never able to really think of a good idea to draw and thus I'm not all too pleased with how it turned out.

I started out with a base face/mask that I was pretty pleased with, but then after that I was just kinda lost.

So I decided to draw Batman holding a flashlight under his face like he's telling ghost stories, since that's vaguely Halloweeny and was the only thing I could think to do with the face I'd drawn.

So here you go:

ivwdy2LSAmGiU.png

(Higher res version if you wanna see it)

I feel bad that I couldn't draw you something that I'm proud of, and I feel like the execution of the idea was pretty sloppy too, but it's something. There's not much else that's more frustrating than a drawing that just isn't working.
Hopefully sometime soon I draw a Batman that I'm happy with and I'll make you an avatar out of that. I might start a new one from scratch today or tomorrow.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
It is the worst comics OT thread I've been to. It's almost as bad as my old thread.
I really cant stand it anymore. Comicthreads beside Hero Vs Hero, the official MCU Thread and our Comic OT are overcrowded with Fanboys and People who have seen a couple of movies and think they are now well informed about the characters.
Makes me so annoyed while reading that I always post in those in a far more annoyed tone as I intend to do...

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Hellboy: The First 20 Years definitely has the best value of any book I've bought. $11 for 120 pages of goooorgeous Mignola prints in an incredible quality Library Edition sized hardcover. It's almost taking me longer to get through than an actual comic of equal length.

frye

The current John Paul Leon Detective Comics is good...although I will be dropping it as soon as he leaves next issue

Aye

I don't dislike Buccaletto as much as Filthy Slug does, if only because he's a great colourist, but those comics are real tough to get through.

The writer for the JPL stuff is a novelist but he's pretty smart about not overwriting, and the story feels timeless in that it could have been written in any decade with some variation - the more I think about it the more I think it's probably by favourite non Morrison Batman in years

Yeah, so, I apologize. I was never able to really think of a good idea to draw and thus I'm not all too pleased with how it turned out.

I started out with a base face/mask that I was pretty pleased with, but then after that I was just kinda lost.

So I decided to draw Batman holding a flashlight under his face like he's telling ghost stories, since that's vaguely Halloweeny and was the only thing I could think to do with the face I'd drawn.

So here you go:

ivwdy2LSAmGiU.png

(Higher res version if you wanna see it)

I feel bad that I couldn't draw you something that I'm proud of, and I feel like the execution of the idea was pretty sloppy too, but it's something. There's not much else that's more frustrating than a drawing that just isn't working.
Hopefully sometime soon I draw a Batman that I'm happy with and I'll make you an avatar out of that. I might start a new one from scratch today or tomorrow.

Its pretty damn cool man, I like it. Its a good idea looks cool .
and im always up for more Batman

Thanks Kipp

Im curious what do you use to draw? didn't you just get some tablet type device or something.

So for you fellow trade-waiters, it looks like after the next volumes of Avengers (Vol 6: Infinite Avengers) and New Avengers (Vol 4: A Perfect World) come out next month, they are going to combine the two in the following collections "Time Runs Out Vol 1" (Avengers 35-37, New Avengers 24-25) and "Time Runs Out Vol 2" (Avengers 38-39, New Avengers 26-28).

Amazon has them listed for late January and March, though they typically get their books in a few weeks later than IST/CGN and retailers.

Thanks! I think I'll skip to the next team, give them an issue or two and then just move on to those guys,

Aw :( Doesn't seem like a very long run...

I'm talking about the guys who were on Flash that took over detective comics after their flash run. He's talking about the team that did 2 fill in issues during their run.

Cheska

Read Blacksad:Amarillo on my lunch and now feel like it was over too soon :( Didn't feel quite as attached as with the previous stories, but it's still super captivating and wonderful.

Never has there been a more tepid death than
Wolverine's

his fucking son's death was a shock, this was not even a thud.

commission Remender for all of your deaths, Marvel.

8 issues of Deadly Class and there has not been one bad issue yet. This is the best thing Remender is putting out.

Top 3 books of the week

Deadly Class 8
Justice League 35
Batman and Robin 35

8 issues of Deadly Class and there has not been one bad issue yet. This is the best thing Remender is putting out.

Top 3 books of the week

Deadly Class 8
Justice League 35
Batman and Robin 35

Yessir well said. Super hyped for Deadly Class and Justice Leagues next issue!
Thats my top 2 this week also.. haven't gotten to Batman and Robin yet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom