• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2014. Witches, wytches, and things that go GROOT in the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim1138

Sweet, got my Top Shelf shipment today.

Aultqza.jpg

That's some good stuff. Man I love Essex County so much.

I mention this regularly, but we exist within a bubble that does not indicate how the rest of the comic fandom act. We are enthusiasts and industry folk, not fanboys.

This becomes obvious to me whenever I see a comics story on a social media page. Petty bullshit and one-upsmanship. You hit the nail on the head with the word "enthusiast", that's what we are. When I get down about comics, I come in here and I get a buzz for the hobby again.

I dunno, man. I gravitated to Marvel as a kid because DC comics were impossible to get in newsagents here apart from B:TAS tie-ins to help younger kids read and write. Marvel had the reprints with the cardstock covers which were my first exposure to "proper" comics (I read the Beano and the Dandy when I was very young, but what child in the UK & Ireland didn't at some stage?) That was how I read the Clone Saga, Age of Apocalypse and all the other 90s stuff. It's pretty bad now, but kid me ate it up with a spoon.

The one that really solidified it for me was the old Wolverine Unleashed, which pretty much printed every solo Wolverine story ever over the course of about four years before they changed it to Wolverine & Gambit (it's Wolverine & Deadpool now). If there's one thing I really dislike about modern Marvel, it's that they pushed Wolverine down my throat to the point where he fuckin' died (I know he'll be back, but still) and I just don't really care.

I didn't discover DC until I checked out Dark Knight Returns from the library as a moody teenager. It was a whole new world. The idea that DC had a history from the JSA era to modern day fascinated me. I loved, and still love, the concept of a legacy hero. Couldn't believe the idea that the Flash had died and his sidekick took his place. Or that Hal Jordan destroyed the Green Lantern Corps and now Kyle Rayner was the Torchbearer. I got really into Morrison's JLA after getting a Doring Kindersley "Ultimate Guide to the Justice League" one Christmas and scraped together the money for the trades. I couldn't order anything online, and the nearest store was 90 minutes away so it took me years to get them all, and the ones I have are older printings that are missing some stuff.

I get that people are drawn in by the movies, but they are just movies at the end of the day. I love reading, whether the books have pictures or not. I enjoy the films while I'm watching them, but no movie of a comic will ever come close to the highs of the real thing for me. The studio wars just turn me off the whole thing, honestly. And while there's plenty of derivative stuff, for me comics, and especially the likes of Image and Dark Horse, are bringing the goods in terms of entertaining, original, high-concept fantastical stories and Hollywood can't match them. That's just me though, and I don't watch a lot of movies or TV (I have trouble sitting still if I'm not interacting with what I'm looking at, but that's the Asperger's for you).

I need to try Translucid. Is the first trade out yet?
Yes.. yes you do. Idk I just saw April 8th... 2015 :/
I could be wrong just googled it.

I think you'd really like it though! . Art and colors are amazing. And the story it great. Gets super deep at times makes ya think about it.
I can't give Claudio Sanchez (writer) enough praise and credit. Grew up loving Coheed and Cambria. he writes some very good songs. Talented guy all the way around. Him and his wife both wrote Translucid.

This becomes obvious to me whenever I see a comics story on a social media page. Petty bullshit and one-upsmanship. You hit the nail on the head with the word "enthusiast", that's what we are. When I get down about comics, I come in here and I get a buzz for the hobby again.

I dunno, man. I gravitated to Marvel as a kid because DC comics were impossible to get in newsagents here apart from B:TAS tie-ins to help younger kids read and write. Marvel had the reprints with the cardstock covers which were my first exposure to "proper" comics (I read the Beano and the Dandy when I was very young, but what child in the UK & Ireland didn't at some stage?) That was how I read the Clone Saga, Age of Apocalypse and all the other 90s stuff. It's pretty bad now, but kid me ate it up with a spoon.

The one that really solidified it for me was the old Wolverine Unleashed, which pretty much printed every solo Wolverine story ever over the course of about four years before they changed it to Wolverine & Gambit (it's Wolverine & Deadpool now). If there's one thing I really dislike about modern Marvel, it's that they pushed Wolverine down my throat to the point where he fuckin' died (I know he'll be back, but still) and I just don't really care.

I didn't discover DC until I checked out Dark Knight Returns from the library as a moody teenager. It was a whole new world. The idea that DC had a history from the JSA era to modern day fascinated me. I loved, and still love, the concept of a legacy hero. Couldn't believe the idea that the Flash had died and his sidekick took his place. Or that Hal Jordan destroyed the Green Lantern Corps and now Kyle Rayner was the Torchbearer. I got really into Morrison's JLA after getting a Doring Kindersley "Ultimate Guide to the Justice League" one Christmas and scraped together the money for the trades. I couldn't order anything online, and the nearest store was 90 minutes away so it took me years to get them all, and the ones I have are older printings that are missing some stuff.

I get that people are drawn in by the movies, but they are just movies at the end of the day. I love reading, whether the books have pictures or not. I enjoy the films while I'm watching them, but no movie of a comic will ever come close to the highs of the real thing for me. The studio wars just turn me off the whole thing, honestly. And while there's plenty of derivative stuff, for me comics, and especially the likes of Image and Dark Horse, are bringing the goods in terms of entertaining, original, high-concept fantastical stories and Hollywood can't match them. That's just me though, and I don't watch a lot of movies or TV (I have trouble sitting still if I'm not interacting with what I'm looking at, but that's the Asperger's for you).

Awesome post man. I got the nostalgic feels. :)

I feel bad for posting in that thread now, sorry guys. It was just too easy.

Vibranium

Banned
I just read the latest Captain America where Falcon becomes Cap. Probably some of the most cringe worthy jokey dialogue I've ever read.

Yeah, I'm sad to say that I am done with Remender's Cap until a new writer comes aboard, which won't be until after Secret Wars I'd assume. Steve will eventually come back (hopefully we don't have to go through this again for a long time) of course. I will pick up Captain Falcon in trades. I think I just want more of the espionage Brubaker style (pre-Reborn) in the future.

Deadly Class was amazing as usual this week though brahs, I love top-tier Remender. He needs more books like this.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I'll agree with this statement.

I really want to read Promethea, but that one is in limbo. I'm pretty sure the Immateria edition is going to be resolicited when it's closer to being done.

I'll add Top Ten to my list.

Yeah, I am definitely intrigued by Promethea and was looking forward to that cool horizontal edition, and then it vanished. Hopefully it reemerges someday.

Read the final of Death of Wolverine last night.

It was, well... underwhelming, I guess?

I s'pose it's hard to make it shocking when the series was called "Death of Wolverine" but I got to the end completely unsatisfied.

Honestly, I haven't been a fan of the entire "killable" arc and subsequent fear of, and eventual death, but I was expecting the finale to be a bit of a blaze of glory.

Glad he's dead.

Zombine

Banned
I don't deny Declan's talent, but his art doesn't resinate with me. He reminds me of one of those guys you see doodling that love art, but their proportions are just...weird. He gives the Everyman hope that they can break into the medium. He's definitely an acquired taste like the godly Quitely.

Yeah, I am definitely intrigued by Promethea and was looking forward to that cool horizontal edition, and then it vanished. Hopefully it reemerges someday.

Some time ago, J.H. Williams III addressed the Promethea thing on his Twitter, saying that it's going to be resolicited much later. And he provided this pic:

I wonder if this means what I think it means. :O

Messi

I don't deny Declan's talent, but his art doesn't resinate with me. He reminds me of one of those guys you see doodling that love art, but their proportions are just...weird. He gives the Everyman hope that they can break into the medium. He's definitely an acquired taste like the godly Quitely.

You mean like Wimberly?

Messi

You have to drink coffee until you get caffeine shakes to draw lines like those.

I just read his two issues of She Hulk and man that was tough. Made me yearn for Pulido, then I got to those issues and realised that it isn't much better.

Though I will say, I've seen other Wimberly stuff that I love the look of so I am not sure what is missing for me in She Hulk.

Zombine

Banned
I just read his two issues of She Hulk and man that was tough. Made me yearn for Pulido, then I got to those issues and realised that it isn't much better.

Though I will say, I've seen other Wimberly stuff that I love the look of so I am not sure what is missing for me in She Hulk.

Sometimes guys do writers a solid and fill in on a book that doesn't fit their strengths. I'm sure Stokoe could draw some crap on a Marvel book as well.

But holy shit. We need some Wimberly art on a Ghostface or Wu-Tang album like right now.

Edit: Give me a limited edition vinyl of 36 Chambers with Wimberly on the cover.

Just finished the Wolverine and Doop mini in the X-Statix omnibus. That was a really fun story, and oh MAN did I love the art! What else worth reading has Darwyn Cooke done? So far the few times throughout the omni that Allred isn't drawing I've been severely let down and turned off by whoever was drawing, but man I liked me some of that Cooke.

Messi

Just finished the Wolverine and Doop mini in the X-Statix omnibus. That was a really fun story, and oh MAN did I love the art! What else worth reading has Darwyn Cooke done? So far the few times throughout the omni that Allred isn't drawing I've been severely let down and turned off by whoever was drawing, but man I liked me some of that Cooke.

Catwoman by Brubaker and Cooke is INCREDIBLE

Edit: if DC have cast Margot Robbie in the Suicide Squad movie and it's not as Harley they have fucked up.

How is this not Harley

margot-robbie-gif-3.gif

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward

I haven't personally read it, but DC: The New Frontier (written and drawn by Cooke) comes highly recommended by many.

Read the final of Death of Wolverine last night.

It was, well... underwhelming, I guess?

I s'pose it's hard to make it shocking when the series was called "Death of Wolverine" but I got to the end completely unsatisfied.

Honestly, I haven't been a fan of the entire "killable" arc and subsequent fear of, and eventual death, but I was expecting the finale to be a bit of a blaze of glory.

Glad he's dead.

At least he has something new to be the best at even in death....
being the most potentially tacky lawn ornament ever.

Well, X-Force #124, but if you read X-Statix I assume you read that too. Its the one where Eddie and Guy Finally Do It.

X-Force_Vol_1_124.jpg

Otherwise:
DC: The New Frontier
His various Parker adaptations, especially the first one, The Hunter.
Selena's Big Score
Catwoman with Brubaker
Solo #5
JONAH HEX #33, #50

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Nah Wimberly's Art is urban and incredibly distinct. His art is like a tag come to life. His art is so vivid and gorgeous.
Fight that good fight, Z. Don't agree with you on Shalvey but Wimberly's art is just fucking incredible, and dude deserves way more love.

I highly recommend the 6 issue mini DC: The New Frontier.
It's a love letter to the Golden and Silver Age.

And, although not everyone liked it, I immensely enjoyed his Before Watchmen: Minutemen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom