• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2014. Witches, wytches, and things that go GROOT in the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aye

I don't dislike Buccaletto as much as Filthy Slug does, if only because he's a great colourist, but those comics are real tough to get through.

The writer for the JPL stuff is a novelist but he's pretty smart about not overwriting, and the story feels timeless in that it could have been written in any decade with some variation - the more I think about it the more I think it's probably by favourite non Morrison Batman in years

It reminds me of those Legends of the Dark Knight stories they used do back in the 90s, kinda continuity light, evergreen stories.

My favorite detail is actually how Batman is illustrated. Dave Stewart uses a lot of deep blacks so you can't make out everything, and the way his cape comes around and folds on his arms makes him look like fuckin' Count Dracula. I like it when artists make Batman look weird, cuz he kinda is, he's a dude in a giant bat costume. Kinda coldly detached lookin' at dead bodies, "Curious" his only reaction.

Detective_Comics_2011_035_014.jpg

PsychBat!

Banned
That's my thread :mad:

I think that's the first comic thread I've ever done here. It may also be the last.
check this thread, I think a lot us here in ComicsGAF remember it well.
It was basically superhero comics vs manga. It was a disaster, eventually I had to jump in the fray because a lot of manga people were dissing super hero comic drawings and colors. Not to mention there were many sweeping generalizations.

PsychBat!

Banned
check this thread, I think a lot us here in ComicsGAF remember it well.
It was basically superhero comics vs manga. It was a disaster, eventually I had to jump in the fray because a lot of manga people were dissing super hero comic drawings and colors. Not to mention there were many sweeping generalizations.
Reading the thread.... Jedeye was accused of calling manga readers weabos.... crazy.

I just re-read my older issues of JL and am shocked at how much Forever Evil dragged down the quality of the book. The jump in writing from issue 30 onwards is downright insane. I'm just loving the perfect mix of character moments vs plot movement right now.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Its pretty damn cool man, I like it. Its a good idea looks cool .
and im always up for more Batman

Thanks Kipp

Im curious what do you use to draw? didn't you just get some tablet type device or something.

I'm glad you like it! I appreciate the kind words.

I use one of these. Despite how much it looks like a super cheap/worthless no-name drawing tablet, it's actually really, really good for the price. I'm super happy with it.

8 issues of Deadly Class and there has not been one bad issue yet. This is the best thing Remender is putting out.

I have a really strong feeling that Deadly Class is going to be the perfect book for me. From the things you guys have said about it, it seems right up my alley.

I need to try Translucid. Is the first trade out yet?

Ah yeah. I gotta pick that up whenever the trade comes out too.

I've talked about this before, but I think one of the most important mantras to drill into new "Big Two" comic readers is this: nobody can read everything. Everybody misses stuff, everybody has to turn to a wiki now and then. And that doesn't inhibit enjoyment of those books at all.

I mean, I should be able to recommend Uncanny X-Force/Avengers and All-New X-Men to people despite the fact that both are steeped in references to past events and obscure characters. You just need to approach them with the correct mindset: roll with it, enjoy yourself, check out the most interesting threads for yourself later and return to those books with a deeper appreciation for how well the authors pulled everything together. I'm a huge Marvel nut and even I didn't catch everything in those books, and that's okay. They're just great comics. My young daughter started in on ANXM a few days ago and she's loving it. She's never read a single X-Men comic before but she doesn't seem to care at all...because it's just a great comic.

Too often people only ever recommend standalone stories and elseworlds stuff, and while all that does have an important place in initiating new readers to the hobby, I don't think there is any way to truly penetrate these universes without diving into the books we all read every week and just accepting that you aren't going to get every single reference and that's okay. I would argue you don't even need to know who Apocalypse is to enjoy Uncanny X-Force despite how central he is to that entire book. You will pick it up as you go. Again, it's just a great comic...and you miss out on so many great comics if you harbor an aversion to continuity. Continuity is a huge part of what makes DC and Marvel so fun.
Wanted to quote this again because this is such a good post.

I started off reading Marvel with Amazing Spider-Man from the 60s and jumped straight into the JMS/JRJR stuff with Ezekial and all that. I was confused at first but you learn to go with it and enjoy it. It's easier than ever to get into superhero comics nowadays.

can;t relly get hype for Star wars comics. especially original trilogy stuff

I used to feel the same way. But with pretty much the entire EU being wiped away, there's so much potential for interesting stories. I know Disney is going to milk Star Wars for every nickel they can, but the EU was so cluttered with stories that none of those characters could have ever had time for all of it. I'm at the very least going to try out a few of the new Star Wars books. Don't really have much interest in the one they announced at NYCC involving the character from the Rebels TV series, but I'll definitely try the Jason Aaron book.

Did anyone who played Alien Isolation notice that Dan Abnett is one of the 3 writers of the game script?

I remember the original Dead Space was from Warren Ellis, Antony Johnson, and Rick Remender.

And Bulletstorm is like a who's who of Remender favorites. Alcoholic protagonist with daddy issues, assassinations that come back to haunt the team in drastic ways, villain monologues, characters who break the fourth wall a bit and openly announce their cliches, etc

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
So for you fellow trade-waiters, it looks like after the next volumes of Avengers (Vol 6: Infinite Avengers) and New Avengers (Vol 4: A Perfect World) come out next month, they are going to combine the two in the following collections "Time Runs Out Vol 1" (Avengers 35-37, New Avengers 24-25) and "Time Runs Out Vol 2" (Avengers 38-39, New Avengers 26-28).

Amazon has them listed for late January and March, though they typically get their books in a few weeks later than IST/CGN and retailers.

That's pretty interesting how they're mixing those issues, I'm glad they're doing it that way though.

Messi

The story did stagnate for a little bit, but it's starting to move forward again.

I'm OK with it slowing down at times. I just love the characters and enjoy reading about them. Even when they are doing mundane shit. I also love the shock stuff. It's just there for fun.

Thank god none of you created that stupid DC vs marvel thread on the OT. I swear they're amateur hour when it comes to comic book threads.

I like to think everyone here moved past that a long time ago.

To me, there's only good comics and bad comics. Everything else is irrelevant.

Zombine

Banned
Sweet, got my Top Shelf shipment today.

Aultqza.jpg

From Hell is some classic literature. One of Moore's best.

I like to think everyone here moved past that a long time ago.

To me, there's only good comics and bad comics. Everything else is irrelevant.

I mention this regularly, but we exist within a bubble that does not indicate how the rest of the comic fandom act. We are enthusiasts and industry folk, not fanboys.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
From Hell is some classic literature. One of Moore's best.

I'm looking forward to it. It's probably the 'biggest' Moore book that I haven't yet read. I've done Watchmen, V for Vendetta, Swamp Thing, Killing Joke, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen in its entirety, etc.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I'm looking forward to it. It's probably the 'biggest' Moore book that I haven't yet read. I've done Watchmen, V for Vendetta, Swamp Thing, Killing Joke, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen in its entirety, etc.
Top Ten is his best book cause it's the most fun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom