• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2014. Witches, wytches, and things that go GROOT in the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that Taylor Swift?

c'mon they don't even look alike

giphy.gif

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Declan does have some pieces that stand out to me, like this one:

ds6.jpg

But that Star Lord is really questionable.
Declan handles violence brilliantly. Moon Knight 4 is the most brutal comic i've ever seen. Dude just has this ruthless fluidity and character to his art, and it doesn't hurt that Jordie Bellaire colors most of his stuff.

Zombine

Banned
c'mon they don't even look alike

giphy.gif

Is that Ryan Seacrest?

Declan handles violence brilliantly. Moon Knight 4 is the most brutal comic i've ever seen. Dude just has this ruthless fluidity and character to his art, and it doesn't hurt that Jordie Bellaire colors most of his stuff.

Moon Knight 4 was glorious, and that's why the dude is on my radar. You are right about Bellaire though, he does enhance the foundation that is laid out by Declan.

Edit: Speaking of Jordie, her work on American Vampire was amazing.

Thanks for the Cooke recommendations guys! Def gonna check out Catwoman, cus I love me some Brubaker (I got into comics with civil war, and his captain america run was one of the few that I would read every time it came out). I've heard of The Hunter before, probably check that out as well. And yeah I loved that issue of X-Force, didn't realize he drew that issue. Hell while we are on the subject of awesome artists from X-Statix, what else can I read that has some awesome Allred art?

Messi

Thanks for the Cooke recommendations guys! Def gonna check out Catwoman, cus I love me some Brubaker (I got into comics with civil war, and his captain america run was one of the few that I would read every time it came out). I've heard of The Hunter before, probably check that out as well. And yeah I loved that issue of X-Force, didn't realize he drew that issue. Hell while we are on the subject of awesome artists from X-Statix, what else can I read that has some awesome Allred art?

If you love Brubaker you are going to love his Catwoman. It is absolutely the best Catwoman story I've read. They just finished releasing 3 big trades of the entire run so it should be easy to find.

frye

Hell while we are on the subject of awesome artists from X-Statix, what else can I read that has some awesome Allred art?

Madman and Red Rocket 7 and Solo #7 for his own stuff

FF and Silver Surfer and I guess iZombie if you want to see him draw scripts

Also Wolverine and the X-Men #17 is pretty amusing, if not an actual replacement for X-Statix.

For me it's #5, Sleep. This is Marc Spector not giving a fuck:

...but you are absolutely right - brutal and ruthless fluidity. Nailed it.

Messi

I'm loving Silver Surfer so much because of Allred, I was a little skeptical of the Dawn character at first but it is working out so incredibly well with the story.

Any idea when that trade is out? Wasn't a fan of the first issue but most here seem to enjoy it ,so I would give the trade a go.

Speaking of Marvel trades I see the first new volume of Amazing Spider-Man came out this week. Isn't it odd that they went straight to paperback? You would think Marvel would milk people and put out a hardcover then paperback. I wonder why they didn't.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Oh God you guys haven't even seen his WATXM pages yet have you holy crap guys I cant

Goin' to the shop tomorrow. Am I just looking for the newest issue? I haven't kept up with WaTXM because almost nobody said it was decent around here. But Wimberly is worth it.

Any idea when that trade is out? Wasn't a fan of the first issue but most here seem to enjoy it ,so I would give the trade a go.

Speaking of Marvel trades I see the first new volume of Amazing Spider-Man came out this week. Isn't it odd that they went straight to paperback? You would think Marvel would milk people and put out a hardcover then paperback. I wonder why they didn't.

Next week :D

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Solo #7, it was a bunch of different stories. This is from the one with Hourman, lot of Watchmen jokes, like the 9 panel grid here he's trapped in here.

Man, I really need to pick up Solo.

Also, that Hellboy: First 20 Years hardcover has gotten me too hyped. I've already got my post-Halloween avatar ready to go:

ib0Tc6dRjkKZIE.png

...I already want to switch to it.

Posting this so that Messi can prepare so that he'll know it's me when I do switch.

Messi

Man, I really need to pick up Solo.

Also, that Hellboy: First 20 Years hardcover has gotten me too hyped. I've already got my post-Halloween avatar ready to go:

ib0Tc6dRjkKZIE.png

Posting this so that Messi can prepare so that he'll know it's me when I do switch.

I will update my spreadsheet. Absolute nightmare when you folks change faces.

ib0Tc6dRjkKZIE.png

tbh it would be really funny if someone stole that avatar

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
It's generally a Sunstone one though to be fair. But yes that is true. You won't lose me though just look at every 3rd post.

You should change your name, not tell anyone, and see how quickly people adjust based on your posting frequency.

All this talk got me reading Moon Knight again (second time in one week). This panel is so brilliant.

HNx5X5i.jpg

For me it's #5, Sleep. This is Marc Spector not giving a fuck:

...but you are absolutely right - brutal and ruthless fluidity. Nailed it.

God, now I have to go re-read Moon Knight 1-6.

Fucking Bryan Wood.

Declan's art is really beautiful. You guys are right about its brutality and fluidity. It's the same thing with his work on Deadpool.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
You should change your name, not tell anyone, and see how quickly people adjust based on your posting frequency.

That already happened. He was pock3tmonster, but then he realized that he wouldn't be the top poster by as significant of a margin if he posted with two accounts.

But seriously, what happened with pock3tmonster? He/she was posting even more than Messi for the first week of this thread, then just dropped off the grid.

That already happened. He was pock3tmonster, but then he realized that he wouldn't be the top poster by as significant of a margin if he posted with two accounts.

But seriously, what happened with pock3tmonster? He/she was posting even more than Messi for the first week of this thread, then just dropped off the grid.

It takes a lot of effort to post as much as Messi does. I'd probably burn out too.

Asides from Capullo and the Batwoman folks, who are the best/distinctive artists over at DC? I'd feel hardpressed to mention unique visual styles at DC whereas with Marvel seems to give each book a weird, specific visual identity that I love.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
God, now I have to go re-read Moon Knight 1-6.

Fucking Bryan Wood.

Declan's art is really beautiful. You guys are right about its brutality and fluidity. It's the same thing with his work on Deadpool.

No Brian Wood's fault Ellis didnt want to commit to more stories.

No Brian Wood's fault Ellis didnt want to commit to more stories.

I know. I just like blaming Brian Wood cause I miss Ellis :(

What do you not like about Brian Wood's work?

I don't like the two issues he's done so far very much. Mostly cause it steers away from the weird nasty crime that Ellis' Spector deals with and is about, I dunno, conspiracies or something.

The second issue that Wood did is okay though. It doesn't have much on "weird crime" but it's structurally interesting. But it seems like he's decided to ditch the one-shot structure that Ellis set up.

Edit: He also seems like a douchenozzle based on internet stories.

Chiang and Rocafort are both excellent

What are they on?

Filthy Slug

Asides from Capullo and the Batwoman folks, who are the best/distinctive artists over at DC? I'd feel hardpressed to mention unique visual styles at DC whereas with Marvel seems to give each book a weird, specific visual identity that I love.

Pat Gleason. Dude is a top talent at DC, and brings his best shit to Batman & Robin monthly.

Ellis' Moon Knight is the only one I've, read so with Wood writing it, it feels like it's a pale imitation, and not a genuinely outstanding work.

Like, Ellis created a template, and Wood is following a template, but there's not a spark there. I can't see Wood writing a line like "You have been breathing in his dreams" and having it be as effective as how Ellis pulled it off.

Do you know what I mean? I mean, maybe Wood can still surprise me, but his two issues to date haven't done that, whereas Ellis' first issue immediately grabbed me.

Yeah, those two books would be my picks as well. I love Local. But a lot of his recent stuff has been meh-tastic.

DMZ couldn't even hold my attention and that's a series of his that seems to be generally well received. But I have such a love of Demo and (like you) especially Local that I will always sing that dude's praises if he never writes another good comic book for the rest of his career.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom