• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2014. Witches, wytches, and things that go GROOT in the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Kipp what if it gets cancelled before that. You tradewaiters make me sick.

I might as well just be torrenting the comic. Right after I go into Ales Kot's house and take the food out of his pantry.
I'm the reason why artists starve.

Peter David's open letter recently really hit me hard. I was like wow. I truly am the problem. Me being a tradewaiter is literally worse for artists than me not buying comics at all.

I think I read recently that every trade paperback is sold at a net loss which the creators are forced to pay.

If Zero gets cancelled I'm holding you personally responsible.

As you should.
I heard Ales sheds a single tear for every TPB volume that gets sold.
I can't imagine what his response will be for the sale of an OHC.

It finally happened, guys. I have read... an American comic once more! Because of how I am though, it was one a friend loaned me rather than something from my backlog (I try to prioritize borrowed things).

And as such, I have now read the back half of Captain America: Castaway in Dimension Z. It was still good, though didn't have quite the punch of the first volume. The stuff with Jet felt a tad predictable. And I'm kind of grumpy that
they decided not to follow through with Ian in any significant way.
Still a good read though. I feel like you guys have said this run isn't particularly special after this arc, yeah?

This is a spoiler!
Ian will return in Sam's Captain America arc

At least I'm pretty sure of that. I wouldn't know for sure for a little while because I too, am a dirty trade waiter.

I've enjoyed the rest of Remender's run, but for most of the big payoff I would recommend also reading Winter Soldier: The Bitter March.

Kipp

Oh! Speaking of this single issues/collected editions thing, I'm reading the extra stuff in the back of the first Criminal OHC right now, and there's a section that has some of the essays about noir movies and whatnot written by him and sometimes by his friends that were in the back of the single issues, and in the foreword for that, Brubaker had this to say:

I often get asked why we haven't collected these articles in the trade paperbacks, and my usual answer is that you don't get to the end of a crime novel and find a bunch of articles by the author's friends about 70s crime moves or Noir films from the 40s and 50s. But in addition to that, Criminal is a bit like Public Radio or TV - it's reader-funded - so we want to make sure we're rewarding those readers who have helped make it all possible. And as I said, most of the articles are done by friends of mine as favors, and I wouldn't want to abuse their charity, since they've helped make Criminal what it is.

He goes on to say that he's just included a few of the ones he had written.

Even though I'm the tradewaiter who's missing out here, I really respected that.
On the one hand, I think that should be a more common practice. Include more bonus stuff in the single issues, since people are essentially paying a premium for single issues as opposed to waiting for trades. I'm all for rewarding them for that.
On the other hand though, there is something nice, even for the people who have already bought the single issues, about having everything from a series and all the extras as well collected in a high quality hardcover.

But yeah, I thought that was interesting and pretty relevant to the current conversation (I do know that we're all being highly sarcastic and just having a laugh, but it's still relevant).

frye

So: Zenith Phase One isn't a great comic, but that's about what I expected. Going into it though, I wasn't sure how it was going to merge Miracleman and Paradax! (two brilliant and whole takes on the Silver Age superhero but otherwise almost the complete opposite) and I was sorta surprised that it almost makes it work. Zenith is a serious take (very serious at times) with a protagonist who kinda is Paradax-lite.

PS Brendan McCarthy wins character design forever

Kipp

Kipps nice guy act might fool most of you guys. But not me.

My cover's blown. Oh well. It was good while it lasted.

Hey guys what's going on in here oh trade-waiter jabs I'll just check another thread.

No! Don't go!
None of us here actually care about tradewaiters (or if anyone does, they keep it to themselves). I'm one of the biggest tradewaiters here.
We were just having a laugh, mostly because of Peter David's recent silly rant about how tradewaiters are the scum of the earth.
Sorry about that. We're pretty good at going hard on sarcasm. Definitely didn't mean to scare you off like that.

Can't detect sarcasm?

No! Don't go!
None of us here actually care about tradewaiters (or if anyone does, they keep it to themselves). I'm one of the biggest tradewaiters here.
We were just having a laugh, mostly because of Peter David's recent silly rant about how tradewaiters are the scum of the earth.
Sorry about that. We're pretty good at going hard on sarcasm. Definitely didn't mean to scare you off like that.

I picked the word "jabs" to indicate that I understood that you guys weren't
entirely
serious. I guess I'm not as good at sarcasm as I thought.

Kipp

So: Zenith Phase One isn't a great comic, but that's about what I expected. Going into it though, I wasn't sure how it was going to merge Miracleman and Paradax! (two brilliant and whole takes on the Silver Age superhero but otherwise almost the complete opposite) and I was sorta surprised that it almost makes it work. Zenith is a serious take (very serious at times) with a protagonist who kinda is Paradax-lite.

Hmm. So would you recommend skipping it? I could use an excuse to spend less money on comics this month. Haha

Since you said it's basically just a lesser version of Paradax, should I use this as an excuse to pick up this collection instead? I've been meaning to pick that up for a while now.

I picked the word "jabs" to indicate that I understood that you guys weren't
entirely
serious. I guess I'm not as good at sarcasm as I thought.

Hey, no worries. I apologize that we came off as unwelcoming like that.
But yeah, we were entirely not serious about the tradewaiting thing. Tradewaiting isn't frowned upon one bit around here. You should always feel welcome to discuss your trades. I mean, trades are the only thing I talk about. Haha

frye

Hmm. So would you recommend skipping it? I could use an excuse to spend less money on comics this month. Haha

Since you said it's basically just a lesser version of Paradax, should I use this as an excuse to pick up this collection instead? I've been meaning to pick that up for a while now.

I'm definitely going to continue picking these up but considering you haven't even read New X-Men yet, I'm gonna say to skip this particular volume and come back around when more of it's out.

Also: yes, pick up that collection.

I feel its gets better as it goes along, especially Phase IV which is basically Miracleman Book 3, with the same narrator, and some more overtly Morrison narrative structure devices and weirdness takes over. Also, the color looks great.

frye

I feel its gets better as it goes along, especially Phase IV which is basically Miracleman Book 3, with the same narrator, and some more overtly Morrison narrative structure devices and weirdness takes over. Also, the color looks great.

Yeah, that's what I've always heard too, that Yeowell and Morrison reach some real highs by Phase III

loneliness + alienation + fear + despair + self-worth ÷ mockery ÷ condemnation ÷ misunderstanding × guilt × shame × failure × judgment n=y where y=hope and n=folly, love=lies, life=death, self=Kipp

Kipp has taken away our confusion and given us obedience. He has taken away our fear of ourselves and given us fear of Kipp. He has liberated us from the chaos of indecision. He has given us one straight path! One clear purpose!

One goal: To die for Kipp
seid

tim1138

Kipp has taken away our confusion and given us obedience. He has taken away our fear of ourselves and given us fear of Kipp. He has liberated us from the chaos of indecision. He has given us one straight path! One clear purpose!

seid

When Kipp tradewaits it is with three billion wallets! Nothing like Kipp has ever come among us: nothing will again. He will take us to a hell without exit or end. And there he will murder our books! They will die, die, die for Kipp!

When Kipp tradewaits it is with three billion wallets! Nothing like Kipp has ever come among us: nothing will again. He will take us to a hell without exit or end. And there he will murder our books! They will die, die, die for Kipp!

All is one in the Omnibus. The mighty book is his church. When he stares into your eyes, and shatters your dreams. And breaks your heart. It is with six billion hardcovers!

Kipp

I'm definitely going to continue picking these up but considering you haven't even read New X-Men yet, I'm gonna say to skip this particular volume and come back around when more of it's out.

Also: yes, pick up that collection.

Cool. Sounds like a plan. Thanks for the advice.

loneliness + alienation + fear + despair + self-worth ÷ mockery ÷ condemnation ÷ misunderstanding × guilt × shame × failure × judgment n=y where y=hope and n=folly, love=lies, life=death, self=Kipp

seid

All is one in the Omnibus. The mighty book is his church. When he stares into your eyes, and shatters your dreams. And breaks your heart. It is with six billion hardcovers!

Hahahaha. You guys are too much.

tim1138

We turned our back and he wrecked our world. He robbed our hobby of its floppies, its trade paperbacks, its future, itself. What will we do when our writers, our artists, our editor, are all Kipp? When there is one book. One mind. One will. One life that is Kipp.

We turned our back and he wrecked our world. He robbed our hobby of its floppies, its trade paperbacks, its future, itself. What will we do when our writers, our artists, our editor, are all Kipp? When there is one book. One mind. One will. One life that is Kipp.

Will we be the enemy of the comic industry then? What irony that would be, comic book buyer.

of course WE won't, since we've embraced the future that is digital

Zombine

Banned
That fight in the first issue of Zero somehow managed to topple the fist fight in They Live. Dear god this book is awesome.

tim1138

Will we be the enemy of the comic industry then? What irony that would be, comic book buyer.

of course WE won't, since we've embraced the future that is digital

The sun has set forever. There is a black hole where the comics industry should be.

We've seen the light and gone beyond the Source Wall to discover digital and it truly is the future

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Vita means Kipp means life.

KIPP is Anti-life.

NDEuJns.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom