• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2014. Witches, wytches, and things that go GROOT in the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

frye

This is great, if superhero books are destined to have fight scenes, you should really put this kind of thought into crafting them. Think about the size and shape of your panels and what they convey, how do you control the pacing of a scene with the amount and size of your panels, how do you convey motion and impact in a soundless, static storytelling medium. You know the reader reads left to right, you can make your action flow in that direction with your widescreen panels, you know how loud colors work or how effective contrast and negative space can be, all that shit. Really fun read.

I think impact is what I’m trying to sell most. I hate it when you read a fight scene and it just doesn’t connect; figures fly around the page, but there’s no tension, no release. With this page, I had decided that last punch was the focus, as was the panel with the bullet being split. Therefore, the first two panels (which in theory could have been big action-y panels) are given less real estate on the page and made into smaller, less significant action beats.

To me, the important thing was what happens next: Moon Knight’s crazy line, the sniper about to fire, Moon Knight launching toward the sniper as he fires, etc. All those moments are given the same amount of space, they are a certain part of a sequence. The bullet split is a very important moment, but I thought it best to show restraint here and have it be a small, quiet moment (which is why it’s the shortest panel on the page), but given the same width, to prolong the tension. Then bam: Moon Knight knocks the sniper through the table. Establish the confrontation, heighten the tension, heighten it more, even more, then release.

I remember reading a criticism of Larocca on how he uses only widescreen panels and that always felt weird to me cuz -- yeah that guy sucks now but it's not because he uses wide panels, y'know? Guys like Shalvey and Parlov make it work just as well as a traditional grid.

I remember reading a criticism of Larocca on how he uses only widescreen panels and that always felt weird to me cuz -- yeah that guy sucks now but it's not because he uses wide panels, y'know? Guys like Shalvey and Parlov make it work just as well as a traditional grid.

that is a wierd critism. i love Bryan Hitch becasue of his wide screne feel

Alright guys line in the fucking sand.

Damian dead or alive?

Alive. If Damian stays dead the role of Robin would need to be retired with him. Some idiot teenager dies as Robin, fine, Bruce's ten-year old son? Not a chance. They'd never be able to be able to bring it back, and there should be a Robin (even if it's never been a favorite character of mine in any iteration). I just don't see any believable justification for Bruce to bring back the persona his son died for unless Damian comes back. Even if Damian retires and decides to strive for normalcy....whatever. Bruce's son having died as Robin is a problem that needs to be fixed and I don't see any alternative to resurrection.

Damian should grow out of the role eventually, though. I hope quicker than Tim or Dick did.

Messi

Alive. If Damian stays dead the role of Robin would need to be retired with him. Some idiot teenager dies as Robin, fine, Bruce's ten-year old son? Not a chance. They'd never be able to be able to bring it back, and there should be a Robin (even if it's never been a favorite character of mine in any iteration). I just don't see any believable justification for Bruce to bring back the persona his son died for unless Damian comes back. Even if Damian retires and decides to strive for normalcy....whatever. Bruce's son having died as Robin is a problem that needs to be fixed and I don't see any alternative to resurrection.

Damian should grow out of the role eventually, though. I hope quicker than Tim or Dick did.

This is exactly how I feel about it. Especially the bolder part. Bruce wouldn't do it.

I always enjoy seeing this

UPL7rQW.jpg

I'm sorry.

Hagi

It's important. It kind of ripples through all of the main stories.

Thanks I'm always wary with tie ins.

This is a great post and sums up how i feel.

Lumberjanes #1-7:
WELP LOOK AT THAT NEW FAVORITE BOOM COMIC
Jeez, is this getting the attention it deserves?
It's gooooooooooood~
The characters? Excellent.
The art and the style? Excellent.
The setting and story and development pacing? Excellent.
Everything is excellent.

Magneto #11:
Hmm. Well, that's some reasoning for choosing those specific peeps.
Yeeeeeeeeeeep.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Lumberjanes #1-7:
It's gooooooooooood~
Everything is excellent.

Review by Paul Excellent

Lumberjanes #1-7:
It's gooooooooooood~
Everything is excellent.

Is this something I could read with my daughter? She's young, reads plenty of "T-level" stuff but if everything sails over her head it's no fun. What say you? Looks like a neat book.

Yeah, that kinda of blanket criticism really doesn't hold up under much scrunity. Even before all the widescreen action stuff that got hot in the late 90s/early 2000s with JLA and the Authority, people were chergeographing fight scenes with wide panels back in the 80s, I'm thinking about those Wolverine fights Frank Miller and Paul Smith drew back in the day.

Frank Quitely is almost nothing but wide screen panels on Batman and Robin, they just play around with the form to create a different effect. Spliting up "Get him!" between two panels to show just how fast Damian is moving, or the irregular, off-center positioning of the panels themselves, or interesting perspectives like the first person shot of Damian leaving Sasha behind to make the lost more personal, or using our natural left-to-right reading to make the fire stick hitting Damian have motion. We don't see the stick, not even a sound effect, but the way we track our eyes across the panel, the way his head is titled, the way the flame effect pop out like that, you still feel it.

Its just another tool for storytelling, some people just use it better than others

that is a wierd critism. i love Bryan Hitch becasue of his wide screne feel

Its a fair criticism, IMO. If you're not varying your panels to accommodate the needs of the shots, then you are not doing your best. Panel variety is an understated part of comic storytelling. Hitch may use wide shots often but he does know how to vary it up when the story calls for it. You can actually see him experiment with how he uses his panels in his FF run and in Reborn. He knows whats up.

Let's face it: if having your own son get impaled on a broadsword fighting a man three times his size doesn't convince you that having an underage sidekick isn't the best idea in the world, after your previous sidekick got his skull bashed in by the same guy who shot your OTHER sidekick in the spine paralyzing her for life (lol), then there's not a whole helluva lot that will.

Is this something I could read with my daughter? She's young, reads plenty of "T-level" stuff but if everything sails over her head it's no fun. What say you? Looks like a neat book.

Well, there's no blood/gore or anything of the sort and I can't think of any double-entendre expressions or anything, so it should be fine! The story has been really neat, building an interesting setting based around what seems to be a regular summer camp for girls.
The characters are all relatable and well-written, each providing lots to the story. I think it would be a swell read, but you should give it a try with issue #1 and see if it works from there. Issue #2 gets right into the "explaining" aspect of things, but does it well and non-intrusively. So... yeah. >.>

Owzers

Let's face it: if having your own son get impaled on a broadsword fighting a man three times his size doesn't convince you that having an underage sidekick isn't the best idea in the world, after your previous sidekick got his skull bashed in by the same guy who shot your OTHER sidekick in the spine paralyzing her for life (lol), then there's not a whole helluva lot that will.

next time they will train....harder. This isn't a game, Robin!

Onemic

Can someone give me a rundown on the most important releases prior to Batman Inc? Im currently looking at these:

Year one
Death in the family
Gothic
Dark Knight Returns
Arkham Asylum
Knightfall
Hush
Batman and Son
Batman RIP
Return of Bruce Wayne
Batman and Robin (1 - 16)
Batman Inc.

Like my Xmen read, I'm trying to get the most important stories for the comic book series chronologically. Am I missing any other important story arcs from the list?

Can someone give me a rundown on the most important releases prior to Batman Inc? Im currently looking at these:

Year one
Death in the family
Gothic
Dark Knight Returns
Arkham Asylum
Knightfall
Hush
Batman and Son
Batman RIP
Return of Bruce Wayne
Batman Inc.

Like my Xmen read, I'm trying to get the most important stories for the comic book series chronologically. Am I missing any other important story arcs from the list?

Your missing The Long Halloween and Dark Detective

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

Year one
Death in the family
Gothic
Dark Knight Returns
Arkham Asylum
Knightfall
Hush
Batman and Son
Batman RIP
Return of Bruce Wayne
Batman Inc.

The Man Who Laughs, Killing Joke, and Long Halloween

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
are Harley and X-23 the only characters that have debutted in a cartoon and made the crossover to comics (and both became quite popular)?

tim1138

Can we all agree that Bruce Wayne is a horrible, horrible person.

Honestly to read Batman Inc. all you need to do is just read the Grant Morrison stuff starting with Batman & Son. He basically treats every batman comic ever written as canon and pulls from everything to create his own mythology for the character.

I read Lumberjanes with my 6 year old daughter and we both love it. What's great is that my daughter craves female heroes and she's so pumped with how much the Lumberjanes kick ass. Plus, she finds it hilarious. She's always laughing out loud at something in every issue.

Can we all agree that Bruce Wayne is a horrible, horrible person.

Bruce Wayne: Alfred, what's the best way to stop crime in gotham

Alfred: Well Master Wayne, considering your zillionaire status, I think a hearty donation to the lower class school reconstruction can go a long way towards educating peo-

Bruce Wayne: I'm sorry, what? I can't hear you over the size of this bitching multi-million dollar Batmobile I just made. Can you say that again?

Alfred: I was just suggesting sir, that maybe focusing on fixing the broken Arkham Aslyum correctional and rehabilition program would have a stronger effect on crime rate tha--

Bruce Wayne: AW SHIT NIGGA do you see, I say, do you SEE all these James Bond gadgets I got on this mothafuckin' utility belt? Between this and all these martial art lessons, those poor people won't know what hit 'em. *Zooms off into the night*

Onemic

Honestly to read Batman Inc. all you need to do is just read the Grant Morrison stuff starting with Batman & Son. He basically treats every batman comic ever written as canon and pulls from everything to create his own mythology for the character.

Although I want to read batman inc and the current Batman I always like reading the most important stories chronologically for a comic book series before going deep into later issues. For one I like reading up on the history of the character and it eliminates some of the annoyances that happen when writers reference past events or characters and you have no idea who or what they're talking about

Your missing The Long Halloween and Dark Detective

The Man Who Laughs, Killing Joke, and Long Halloween

Thanks

I question the importance of Gothic...as in its not important at all.

Why's that?

Kikarian

Although I want to read batman inc and the current Batman I always like reading the most important stories chronologically for a comic book series before going deep into later issues. For one I like reading up on the history of the character and it eliminates some of the annoyances that happen when writers reference past events or characters and you have no idea who or what they're talking about
It's what I like to do too, if not most people. It's a good habit to get into.

The Killing Joke and Long Halloween are fantastic!

Why's that?

Well, its just nothing really noteworthy happens in that story. No new characters that stuck around, or cool villains, or big moments in Batman's life, or anything that ever gets referenced in Morrison's run, I think. Its just a pretty decent Batman story. Might as well put The Scottish Connection up there, for all its impact on the Batman mythos.

One story I would replace it with is "Dark Knight, Dark City", by Peter Milligan and Kieron Dwyer. Its a very good Batman tale, and its VERY explicitly referenced in a pretty major part of Morrison's Batman and Robin era.

Well, there's no blood/gore or anything of the sort and I can't think of any double-entendre expressions or anything, so it should be fine! The story has been really neat, building an interesting setting based around what seems to be a regular summer camp for girls.
The characters are all relatable and well-written, each providing lots to the story. I think it would be a swell read, but you should give it a try with issue #1 and see if it works from there. Issue #2 gets right into the "explaining" aspect of things, but does it well and non-intrusively. So... yeah. >.>

I read Lumberjanes with my 6 year old daughter and we both love it. What's great is that my daughter craves female heroes and she's so pumped with how much the Lumberjanes kick ass. Plus, she finds it hilarious. She's always laughing out loud at something in every issue.

Thanks guys! I'm all over this book. Looks great.

tim1138

Thanks

Why's that?

Yo, skip Hush. That book is trash, all style and no substance. It's the most paint by numbers story ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom