• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2014. Witches, wytches, and things that go GROOT in the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onemic

Yo, skip Hush. That book is trash, all style and no substance. It's the most paint by numbers story ever.

oh, really? One of my cousins kept saying it was one of the best comics he's ever read.

Well, its just nothing really noteworthy happens in that story. No new characters that stuck around, or cool villains, or big moments in Batman's life, or anything that ever gets referenced in Morrison's run, I think. Its just a pretty decent Batman story. Might as well put The Scottish Connection up there, for all its impact on the Batman mythos.

One story I would replace it with is "Dark Knight, Dark City", by Peter Milligan and Kieron Dwyer. Its a very good Batman tale, and its VERY explicitly referenced in a pretty major part of Morrison's Batman and Robin era.

aight, ill pick that one up too

Messi

oh, really? One of my cousins kept saying it was one of the best comics he's ever read.

It's great as a my first batman story as it has all the recognisable heroes and villians and it has pretty art. But I can agree with the guys. It's pretty basic and by the numbers. Yet I enjoy it.

tim1138

If you've never read a Batman comic ever in your life, it's ok I guess. It's basically my first Batman story, it has all the famous villains show up, flashy Jim Lee art, but really don't bother with it. You're wanting to read the best Batman comics, Hush is not on that list.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
If you've never read a Batman comic ever in your life, it's ok I guess. It's basically my first Batman story, it has all the famous villains show up, flashy Jim Lee art, but really don't bother with it. You're wanting to read the best Batman comics, Hush is not on that list.

You dont disagree with that avatar.

Onemic

Comixology doesnt have Batman: birth of the Demon? damn it.

EDIT: Oh well, Wikipedia told me everything I needed to know

Messi

They also don't have Thrillkiller Batman. So I might never get to read this wonder :(

290078-162111-bianca-steeplechase_large.jpg

Just look. I need to read this.

Although I want to read batman inc and the current Batman I always like reading the most important stories chronologically for a comic book series before going deep into later issues. For one I like reading up on the history of the character and it eliminates some of the annoyances that happen when writers reference past events or characters and you have no idea who or what they're talking about

Morrison is going to reference events and characters from Batman's entire 70 year history. This would also be required reading then:

Honestly those 3 are more important to Morrison's Batman than anything on your reading list outside of maybe Year One.

DKR over Year One? GTFO

They changed their list. This was the original version:

25) Venom by Denny O'Neil (W), Trevor Von Eeden & Russel Braun (A)
24) Knightfall Part One Broken Bat by Chuck Dixon & Doug Moench (W), Jim Aparo, Norm Breyfogle, Graham Nolan & Jim Balent (A)
23) Nine Lives by Dean Motter (W), Michael Lark (A)
22) The Man Who Laughs by Ed Brubaker (W), Doug Mahnke (A)
21) Thrillkiller by Howard Chaykin (W), Dan Brereton (A)
20) JLA: Tower of Babel by Waid, Johnson, Priest, Ostrander (W), Porter, Scott, Pajarillo, Raimondi, Battle & Lashley (A)
19) Tales of the Demon by Denny O'Neil (W), Brown, Neal Adams, Norvick, Michael Golden & Newton (A)
18) A Lonely Place of Dying by Marv Wolfman (W), George Perez (A)
17) Strange Apparitions by Steve Englehart and Len Wein (W), Walt Simonson and Marshall Rogers (A)
16) Gothic by Grant Morrison (W), Klaus Janson (A)
15) A Death in the Family by Jim Starlin (W), Jim Aparo (A)
14) Black and White Vol. 1 by Various
13) Gotham By Gaslight by Brian Augustyn (W), Mike Mignola (A)
12) Batman Adventures: Mad Love by Paul Dini (W), Bruce Timm (A)
11) Blind Justice by Sam Hamm (W), Denys Cowan (A)
10) Hush by Jeph Loeb (W), Jim Lee (A)
9 ) Batman & Dracula: Red Rain by Doug Moench (W), Kelley Jones (A)
8 ) Dark Victory by Jeph Loeb (W), Tim Sale (A)
7 ) Son of the Demon by Mike Barr (W), Jerry Bingham (A)
6 ) The Cult by Jim Starlin (W), Bernie Wrightson (A)
5 ) The Long Halloween by Jeph Loeb (W), Tim Sale (A)
4 ) Arkham Asylum by Grant Morrison (W), Dave McKean (A)
3 ) The Killing Joke by Alan Moore (W), Brian Bolland (A)
2 ) The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller (W & A)
1 ) Year One by Frank Miller (W), Dave Mazzucchelli (A)

Son of the Batman is funny cuz it was out of continuity for a minute, then Morrison like misread it or some shit and kinda unofficially brought it back into continuity. Its a cool story though, very 80s action movie/James Bond thing. Quips, Henchman/right hand man, exotic locales, femme fatales, that sort of thing

Onemic

Morrison is going to reference events and characters from Batman's entire 70 year history. This would also be required reading then:

Honestly those 3 are more important to Morrison's Batman than anything on your reading list outside of maybe Year One.

Unfortunately, comixology has none of those

tim1138

The Black Casebook has my favorite Silver Age Batman story ever, The Super-Batman of Planet X.
Really everything Morrison picked for that collection is fantastic and really shows the depths of Batman's history he plumbed when he was writing the book.

Yeah, that kinda of blanket criticism really doesn't hold up under much scrunity. Even before all the widescreen action stuff that got hot in the late 90s/early 2000s with JLA and the Authority, people were chergeographing fight scenes with wide panels back in the 80s, I'm thinking about those Wolverine fights Frank Miller and Paul Smith drew back in the day.

Frank Quitely is almost nothing but wide screen panels on Batman and Robin, they just play around with the form to create a different effect. Spliting up "Get him!" between two panels to show just how fast Damian is moving, or the irregular, off-center positioning of the panels themselves, or interesting perspectives like the first person shot of Damian leaving Sasha behind to make the lost more personal, or using our natural left-to-right reading to make the fire stick hitting Damian have motion. We don't see the stick, not even a sound effect, but the way we track our eyes across the panel, the way his head is titled, the way the flame effect pop out like that, you still feel it.

Its just another tool for storytelling, some people just use it better than others

Great analysis.

So should I even give Nu52 Deathstroke a try off the comixology sale?

I'm kind of predicting a Hellblazer/Constantine sale coming up and wondering if I should save my monies for that.

Boogiepop

They also don't have Thrillkiller Batman. So I might never get to read this wonder :(

290078-162111-bianca-steeplechase_large.jpg

Just look. I need to read this.

I've heard at least a couple times in here that this is good, but it's been prohibitively out of print for as long as I've been looking for it.

Anyway, finished up the rest of the Justice League cartoon. It was the Christmas episode (no Christmas for poor Wonder Woman!), that neat Joker/Royal Flush Gang 2-parter (though it was distracting that King was Robin from Teen Titans... and the wonders of imdb just taught me that he was also Ma-ti from Captain Planet, huh.) And then of course the finale, which was great. Now on to Unlimited!

BTW, since the question was kind of raised by watching that stuff: just how indestructible is a Green Lantern ring? And they can detach their constructs from themselves? It doesn't always have to be coming out of the ring? (Admittedly this one just happened with Green Lantern making a snowman, so nothing super serious, but I've never really thought about it before).

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Bruce Wayne: Alfred, what's the best way to stop crime in gotham

Alfred: Well Master Wayne, considering your zillionaire status, I think a hearty donation to the lower class school reconstruction can go a long way towards educating peo-

Bruce Wayne: I'm sorry, what? I can't hear you over the size of this bitching multi-million dollar Batmobile I just made. Can you say that again?

Alfred: I was just suggesting sir, that maybe focusing on fixing the broken Arkham Aslyum correctional and rehabilition program would have a stronger effect on crime rate tha--

Bruce Wayne: AW SHIT NIGGA do you see, I say, do you SEE all these James Bond gadgets I got on this mothafuckin' utility belt? Between this and all these martial art lessons, those poor people won't know what hit 'em. *Zooms off into the night*

I laughed heartily.

One story I would replace it with is "Dark Knight, Dark City", by Peter Milligan and Kieron Dwyer. Its a very good Batman tale, and its VERY explicitly referenced in a pretty major part of Morrison's Batman and Robin era.

So you'd recommend picking up the recently solicited Dark Knight, Dark City TPB?

The Black Casebook has my favorite Silver Age Batman story ever, The Super-Batman of Planet X.
Really everything Morrison picked for that collection is fantastic and really shows the depths of Batman's history he plumbed when he was writing the book.

Would I genuinely enjoy this if I got it, or would it be more of a novelty sort of thing? I want to want it, but I have a feeling the stories would just feel really dated and I'd struggle to get through it.

Hush is a Jim Lee pin-up book, no more, no less. It never aspires to anything more, and it never disappoints if you approach it in this way.

My wife rarely reads comics, and she LOVED Hush, it's not really "for" us I don't think. It's for people that might only ever read half a dozen major Batman arcs.

Owzers

Cap #25: At first i thought this was going to be $4.99 donated to the Remender Image Charity Fund, everything involving Jet was pure bullshit, embarrassingly so. Remender should have had Jet fly off into space looking for her true creators. But Remender pulled the book around a bit, the
banter with the Avengers in the mansion was endearing and then we got the super secret Hydra shenanigans.
but still....that Jet stuff. Wow. Random 1/10 and then 9/10 and then 7/10.

Does J-Son of Spartax *ever* put in an appearance without referring to Earth as "backwater?" Is this a particularly cutting insult on Spartax or is that just all he has in the tank?

What happens when Guardians 2 reveals who Star Lord's father is...are they going to change his origin in the comic as well? Wouldn't make sense to leave J-son when everything else about the characters has been changed. Maybe the upcoming Secret Wars/rumored reboot will help with that

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So apperantly all DC creators were told to wrap up their stories in the next 6 months: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/10...their-stories-to-a-close-before-the-band-aid/

This jives with what I heard from a guy claiming to be an insider who said that Justice League's "Darkseid War" and Batman's "endgame" would conclude those respective runs. What do you guys think? Another reboot on the way or possible return to Post-Crisis universe?

Snyder and Capullo are off the book after Endgame? Fuck that, lame DC really lame.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
So apperantly all DC creators were told to wrap up their stories in the next 6 months: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/10...their-stories-to-a-close-before-the-band-aid/

This jives with what I heard from a guy claiming to be an insider who said that Justice League's "Darkseid War" and Batman's "endgame" would conclude those respective runs. What do you guys think? Another reboot on the way or possible return to Post-Crisis universe?

Does these arcs end around the time the next Crisis is rumored to start?

Prozel

I just picked up a iPad Air yesterday and I'm exited to finally begin reading comics!

It's a bit overwhelming though, since I want to get into so much. House Of M, Messiah Complex, Dark Reign, Civil War, Injsutice and many Marvel NOW! runs.

For now I've settled on Uncanny Avengers to get started. Cool stuff so far.

I just picked up a iPad Air yesterday and I'm exited to finally begin reading comics!

It's a bit overwhelming though, since I want to get into so much. House Of M, Messiah Complex, Dark Reign, Civil War, Injsutice and many Marvel NOW! runs.

For now I've settled on Uncanny Avengers to get started. Cool stuff so far.

Uncanny is good. I really recommend you check out Jonathan Hickman's Avengers and New Avengers its a great exploration of the Marvel Universe and a good sci-fi story in its own right

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom