• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2014. Witches, wytches, and things that go GROOT in the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
GUYS MOTHER Fing Hulkbuster

animation1b1qz4.gif

It's going to be funny when Hulk still kicks the shit out of him.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I feel like the only person who didn't find that Avengers 2 trailer impressive.

Um. I don't get it. I just don't see the hype in that Avengers trailer.
I want to get it, but I don't get it. Someone explain me the hype please.

I'm right there with you.
Just a bunch of random clips thrown together with a couple lines of dialogue on top.

Well, the beauty of not being a hive mind is we don't all have to love the same things, you guys are off the hook

If you're still in avatar-creation mode though, Kipp, I would dearly love an Ultron av please :)

Kipp

Well, the beauty of not being a hive mind is we don't all have to love the same things, you guys are off the hook

If you're still in avatar-creation mode though, Kipp, I would dearly love an Ultron av please :)

I didn't mean to come across as poo-pooing on the people who did get excited about the trailer, so if I did come across that way, I apologize for that. But yeah, for some reason it just didn't click with me. Could be because I'm just not a movies person in general. I'm excited that you guys are excited though!

And I'm always up for drawing/making avatars!
I know absolutely nothing about Ultron though, so would you mind linking me to an image of the specific costume design you had in mind and also suggest some kind of pose or composition? I usually like to draw whatever pops into my head, but in this case since I don't know the character I don't really know what sort of pose he should be in. Haha

Also, speaking of Ultron, are there any great Ultron stories? I wouldn't mind reading one sometime.

I didn't mean to come across as poo-pooing on the people who did get excited about the trailer, so if I did come across that way, I apologize for that. But yeah, for some reason it just didn't click with me. Could be because I'm just not a movies person in general. I'm excited that you guys are excited though!

And I'm always up for drawing/making avatars!
I know absolutely nothing about Ultron though, so would you mind linking me to an image of the specific costume design you had in mind and also suggest some kind of pose or composition? I usually like to draw whatever pops into my head, but in this case since I don't know the character I don't really know what sort of pose he should be in. Haha

Also, speaking of Ultron, are there any great Ultron stories? I wouldn't mind reading one sometime.

Read ultron unlimited by Busiek and Perez

"Ultron Unlimited" and "Annihilation Conquest" are the best Ultron sagas IMO.

Pretty sure the former will be included in the Busiek/Perez Avengers omnibus vol 1 coming next year before the movie hits.

Kipp

Read ultron unlimited by Busiek and Perez

Awesome. Thanks, guys!
I'm probably going to end up getting the Busiek Avengers omnibus in March and it looks like that Ultron story is in there, so that's convenient.
Although it also means I won't be able to read an Ultron story for nearly half a year, so that's a bummer.

It's over the Pinocchio song. Ultron ain't a puppet, and he's going to smoke cigars and drink beer.

Hulk is Monstro.

Now I really want to make echoshifting's avatar a drawing of Ultron smoking cigars and drinking beer.

Pretty sure the former will be included in the Busiek/Perez Avengers omnibus vol 1 coming next year before the movie hits.

These are my favorites as well.

I think "King Ultron" from Conquest might be too much detail.....classic Ultron is what I had in mind. Maybe with some snazzy duds or a hat? Thanks in advance Kipp :)

IIQgZjQ.jpg

Kipp

Around the time of the movie, hopefully we can recommend Rage of Ultron

Opena is nuts. That looks amazing.
Even if the writing is somehow awful, it'll probably still be worth getting due to that art.

Lazarus from Rucka/Lark, which most of ComicGAF dropped for being too slow. Apparently they've also never read a Rucka comic before.

Ah cool, thanks. Should that be on my list of books to buy once it releases in OHC format?

These are my favorites as well.

I think "King Ultron" from Conquest might be too much detail.....classic Ultron is what I had in mind. Maybe with some snazzy duds or a hat? Thanks in advance Kipp :)

IIQgZjQ.jpg

Sounds good! I'll get to that sometime today. Probably after I read a little more Fury MAX.
How would you feel about Ultron with a cigar in one hand and a beer in the other?

Messi

I can hardly imagine how bad the Nocenti run was now that I've read Catwoman 35. Not that it's a bad book, but jesus people sure got excited about a lot of talking heads and, ahem, no Catwoman. Book of the month? Oooookay ;p

How bad it got? It was shit from her first issue.

I can hardly imagine how bad the Nocenti run was now that I've read Catwoman 35. Not that it's a bad book, but jesus people sure got excited about a lot of talking heads and, ahem, no Catwoman. Book of the month? Oooookay ;p

She is my favorite female character. Like Grayson, their is actual character growth in this. She is intelligently written. The art is awesome. If you have been following Selina through Justice League of America, through the Trinity War and then Forever Evil, and now through Eternal to this solo book, you appreciate the journey she has been on and how this change affects her. Definitely a book of the month consideration for fans. My nominee list is pretty long this month and still have a week to go.

October book of the month.

Gotham Academy 1
Grayson 3
Batman 35
Birthright 1
Annihilator 2
Deadly Class 8
Catwoman 35
Harley Quinn 11
Superman 35
Multiversity The Just

Kipp

Gonna sting playing $20 digi for this but it don't mean I won't do it.

Do Marvel OGNs come with digital codes? Before you want to hurt me, I'm asking because I'm wondering if I'll be able to experience this in both physical and digital (planning to buy the physical book). It does look like it'll be pretty stunning on a tablet.

Do Marvel OGNs come with digital codes? Before you want to hurt me, I'm asking because I'm wondering if I'll be able to experience this in both physical and digital (planning to buy the physical book). It does look like it'll be pretty stunning on a tablet.

I think they do. Better use it for yourself before Jedeye and Birdie come after you!

Sounds good! I'll get to that sometime today. Probably after I read a little more Fury MAX.
How would you feel about Ultron with a cigar in one hand and a beer in the other?

That would be perfect. Hail to the kipp baby.

She is my favorite female character. Like Grayson, their is actual character growth in this. She is intelligently written. The art is awesome. If you have been following Selina through Justice League of America, through the Trinity War and then Forever Evil, and now through Eternal to this solo book, you appreciate the journey she has been on and how this change affects her. Definitely a book of the month consideration for fans. My nominee list is pretty long this month and still have a week to go.

That's totally fair....I guess I just missed the boat. It was a decent enough book but it was obviously made for people who have been following her throughout her nu52 journey, not for curious new readers like yours truly. Hope you guys didn't think I was picking on the book! Just the hype. ;)

yeah Rage of Ultron is going to be glorious. Remender and Opena reuniting for a possible Thanos vs. Ultron showdown? I need it in my life.

The interview with Remender that CBR did after the announcement said it starts with Ultron taking over all the technology on Saturn's moon Titan. Thanos and Starfox are expected to appear. That's pretty much all I know and all I need to know considering the creative team behind it.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Yes, they do.

Kipp

I think they do. Better use it for yourself before Jedeye and Birdie come after you!

Just checked and it looks like that Spider-Man: Family Matters OGN came with a digital code. Sweet.
Best of both worlds.

Why are you considering buying a book before you know anything about it? XD

Because it's Image and it's Rucka and the art in those panels Spike posted looks nice. Haha

That would be perfect. Hail to the kipp baby.

Sweet. I'm working on it as we speak!

Kipp

The interview with Remender that CBR did after the announcement said it starts with Ultron taking over all the technology on Saturn's moon Titan. Thanos and Starfox are expected to appear. That's pretty much all I know and all I need to know considering the creative team behind it.

That question was regarding Lazarus, but regardless, that sounds pretty cool. I only vaguely knew about that Rage of Ultron OGN before today, but now I'm officially hyped for it.

Yes, they do.

Very cool. Thanks for the confirmation.

I adore Lazarus. I wish I had time to wax poetic about it....perhaps later. Highly recommended.

Cool! I'll almost definitely pick it up then.
...But I'm still curious what it's about. Haha

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Just checked and it looks like that Spider-Man: Family Matters OGN came with a digital code. Sweet.
Best of both worlds.
I think at this point they should add Digital Codes to all releases. I dont care about Floppys, but SC-Trades, Omnibuses and all OHCs (and not just Event-OHCs) should come with one.

They sure do. I must get around to redeeming mine before they expire.

I adore Lazarus. I wish I had time to wax poetic about it....perhaps later. Highly recommended.

I dropped it a few issues ago, but I'm getting the itch to jump back in. I never felt that inclination with East of West, because that book definitely reads better in trade. A lot of Hickman books do.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
They sure do. I must get around to redeeming mine before they expire.
OGN Digital Codes have an much longer expiration time, you have at least time until 3/7/2015 for the first batch and 4/2/16 for the second one.
Infinity Revelations seems to be without an expiration date.

Elevator pitch for Lazarus....couldn't resist...

The government has collapsed, and all of the remaining land and resources on Earth are controlled by powerful sects and families. Most people live as marginalized "waste" while the powerful enjoy the height of luxury (many tones of class war in this book). To help enforce their oppressive rule, these families each employ a Lazarus: a virtually indestructible, ultimate soldier encoded with the family's dna to ensure absolute loyalty. The book follows one such Lazarus, Forever Carlyle (sp?) as she does her best to earn her "father's" love, dealing with other families while uncovering corruption in her own.

Forever is a heartbreaking character, as is the setting. Can't recommend it enough.

Ah nice! I'll probably pick it up.
What's it about, anyways?
Action/Intrigue series set in a dystopian future where current sociopolitical and economic policies have given rise to dynastic families that control the planet and are at constant war with each other. The series centers on the Carlyle family, which rules much of what was once the United States and North America; under the Carlyle rule there are tens of thousands of citizens working toward their vision of the future in exchange for continued prosperity and safety. Anyone not family or citizen is just waste, their fates of little concern. The title "Lazarus" refers to the series star Forever Carlyle, a genetically enhanced supersoldier trained since birth to serve as her family's Lazarus, commander of the Carlyle military forces and defender of her family against all threats.

Owzers

I dropped Lazarus but i was enjoying the few final issues i read, up to issue #9. After the first several issues i started feeling like the story wasn't good enough to justify how depressing the setting was.

Kipp

I dropped it a few issues ago, but I'm getting the itch to jump back in. I never felt that inclination with East of West, because that book definitely reads better in trade. A lot of Hickman books do.

I hear a lot of mixed reviews about East of West, but is that strictly because of the fact that people are reading it monthly? Would it be a definite recommendation in trade form?

Elevator pitch for Lazarus....couldn't resist...

The government has collapsed, and all of the remaining land and resources on Earth are controlled by powerful sects and families. Most people live as marginalized "waste" while the powerful enjoy the height of luxury (many tones of class war in this book). To help enforce their oppressive rule, these families each employ a Lazarus: a virtually indestructible, ultimate soldier encoded with the family's dna to ensure absolute loyalty. The book follows one such Lazarus, Forever Carlyle (sp?) as she does her best to earn her "father's" love, dealing with other families while uncovering corruption in her own.

Forever is a heartbreaking character, as is the setting. Can't recommend it enough.

Action/Intrigue series set in a dystopian future where current sociopolitical and economic policies have given rise to dynastic families that control the planet and are at constant war with each other. The series centers on the Carlyle family, which rules much of what was once the United States and North America; under the Carlyle rule there are tens of thousands of citizens working toward their vision of the future in exchange for continued prosperity and safety. Anyone not family or citizen is just waste, their fates of little concern. The title "Lazarus" refers to the series star Forever Carlyle, a genetically enhanced supersoldier trained since birth to serve as her family's Lazarus, commander of the Carlyle military forces and defender of her family against all threats.

Thanks a lot, guys. Much appreciated. Sounds interesting!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom