• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2014. Witches, wytches, and things that go GROOT in the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lazarus from Rucka/Lark, which most of ComicGAF dropped for being too slow. Apparently they've also never read a Rucka comic before.

I don't mind if a comic is a little slow, but I read the first issue and while I certainly didn't dislike it, it didn't really hook me in. Should I read some more before making up my mind?

I don't mind if a comic is a little slow, but I read the first issue and while I certainly didn't dislike it, it didn't really hook me in. Should I read some more before making up my mind?

Yeah, I'd say so. The first arc picks up fast, and the second does some great worldbuilding.

It's a rough book, though, perhaps Rucka at his most grim. The despair among the waste in the second arc is hard to get through without experiencing human emotions.

I'd say give it 3-4 issues, which is the first arc, and if it's still not doing anything for you you can safely jettison it from your list.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
All righty, echoshifting. Here you go!

iVWhMGpmiyvrF.png

Mannnnnnnn amazon is screwing me on Bayonetta 2, ordered back in June but I don't get it till Tuesday. I actually have a 3 Day weekend this weekend, and wanted to play it.

Kipp

Oh, duh. I realized why I'm not liking the last few avatars I've made as much as the ones before. I've been using a larger pen size which gives everything a much more rounded, clean look, rather than the rough small line look that I prefer.

...Took me way too long to figure that out.

Edit: Ooh! IST shipped my order! They've definitely stepped up their game with getting orders processed and shipped quickly.

Kipp

I miss enjoying video games. I hope I can find a game sometime soon that gets me back into video games.
Until then, Street Fighter 3: Third Strike can keep me company.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I took the day off so I can play Bayonetta all day tomorrow

:/ I'm too busy with a project to have time to play it until the 31st, but gonna pick it up with groceries tomorrow. On the upside i'm doing 'route into comics' creative work at that, so... cant complain.

Alan Moore's Swamp Thing is just amazing. I've just finished reading book four. Man, what a reading!

Its got kinda wacky after that and the godlike art team of Totleben/Bissette leave, but its still really good anyway. He adapts to the characters like Adam Strange instead of the other way around, its really quite nice.

That first year of stories tho...some of the best American superhero comics of all-time breh

Are we still doing like, top 10 favorite comics of the year by December? They could be ongoings, minis, graphic novels, one-shots, whatever. I'm thinking of contenders, or how I would even count them. spoilers

Stray Bullets, Copra, Miracleman(would that count? It came out in the 80s), Satelittle Sam, Daredevil, Uncanny Avengers, Hawkeye, Deadly Class, Southern Bastards, Flash Gordon, The Private Eye, Saga, Zero, Multiversity, Annihilator, The Wicked + The Divine, Grayson, BPRD, Manifest Destiny, Thor, Copperhead, Sex Criminals, Superman, Seconds, The Fade Out, Velvet, Prophet, The Rise of Aurora West, BITCH PLANET etc

probably ten of those, in some fashion

Are we still doing like, top 10 favorite comics of the year by December? They could be ongoings, minis, graphic novels, one-shots, whatever. I'm thinking of contenders, or how I would even count them. spoilers

I think that'd be fun. They don't have to be tallied up or anything, just sharing what we enjoyed.

I think it'd also be fun if we named our favorite older (2013 or earlier) run or series that we didn't read until this year.

Messi

Stray Bullets, Copra, Miracleman(would that count? It came out in the 80s), Satelittle Sam, Daredevil, Uncanny Avengers, Hawkeye, Deadly Class, Southern Bastards, Flash Gordon, The Private Eye, Saga, Zero, Multiversity, Annihilator, The Wicked + The Divine, Grayson, BPRD, Manifest Destiny, Thor, Copperhead, Sex Criminals, Superman, Seconds, The Fade Out, Velvet, Prophet, The Rise of Aurora West, BITCH PLANET etc

I'm down.

Also lol at already listing Bitch Planet. Too good.

I think that'd be fun. They don't have to be tallied up or anything, just sharing what we enjoyed.

I think it'd also be fun if we named our favorite older (2013 or earlier) run or series that we didn't read until this year.
That would be cool too, some of the regulars in Movies You've Seen Recently do a Best Unseen Movies update every month.

That way we can all come together in our mutual appericitation of doom Patrol

Bitch Planet doesn't even hit til Dec, right? That leaves one issue for the whole year.

Good thing Rafa guaranteed it was the Comic of the Year many moons ago

Kipp

Holy hot damn, you have outdone yourself sir. Proud to wear it!

Thanks! Glad you like it!

amazing haha, good one.

And thank you too!

I'd really like this. Pretty much everything I read is 2013 or earlier.

That way we can all come together in our mutual appericitation of doom Patrol

You know it.

I haven't been reading comics except for Ultimate Spiderman out of habit, and hope they'd give Miles a good storyline eventually. Everything since he's been introduced is this poorly paced mess. And now with the cover for #9 and Peter just being back (jesus christ) I think I may be done with the ultimate universe. Is it safe to get back into DC yet or they still fucking around with their continuity and the dumb half reboot that is new 52?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I haven't been reading comics except for Ultimate Spiderman out of habit, and hope they'd give Miles a good storyline eventually. Everything since he's been introduced is this poorly paced mess. And now with the cover for #9 and Peter just being back (jesus christ) I think I may be done with the ultimate universe. Is it safe to get back into DC yet or they still fucking around with their continuity and the dumb half reboot that is new 52?

Go read Snyder and Capullo's Batman.

Go read Snyder and Capullo's Batman.

I read his Batman until he did Year Zero. I'll try to get back into him if he's done with the reboot origin story, but I don't think he's written anything as good as the Black Mirror since. He has worse issues than Bendis with endings. Maybe I should just give up on comics.

I read his Batman until he did Year Zero. I'll try to get back into him if he's done with the reboot origin story, but I don't think he's written anything as good as the Black Mirror since. He has worse issues than Bendis with endings. Maybe I should just give up on comics.

Read Image comics

Read Image comics

I have to agree that you may have grown past cape comics and should try out some Image stuff, a lot of first volume trades have released recently, unless that's not your thing.

Here's some stuff that's basically always recommended here:
Black Science
Deadly Class
FBP (Vertigo)
Manhattan Projects
Rat Queens
Saga
Sex Criminals
Southern Bastards
Velvet
Zero

Edit: Or look at ViewtifulJC post, he knows whats up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom