• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2014. Witches, wytches, and things that go GROOT in the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy Christ, Fred Meyers is the greatest scumbag in comic book history.

Like... The retail chain?

store.jpg

JJD

I've just read Avengers 37, man...I LOVE Hickman
I knew Susan was better than that!

This is one of the best Marvel stories I've ever read.

And Cap is perfect as an angry old man. It fits him perfectly. It is time he is on the wrong side of a storyline, even after what the Illuminati did to him. Blaming everything on Tony is just too easy. Cap is a hypocrite and I wonder if heis to blind to see it.

Mindwipe

I feel like the only person who didn't find that Avengers 2 trailer impressive.

I thought the trailer itself was awfully cut, but I imagine that's because an awful lot of the effects work for the last two thirds of the movie is nowhere near done yet.

So yeah, a lot of it is characters stood around wisfully. I think most of it is the promise that it sounds like Spader is owning it vocally, and the bad guy makes the film.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
So with the TV show coming out soon and whatnot, I've been kind of interested in reading some Daredevil stuff.

mob5TJB.jpg

This is the famous Frank Miller run, right? Seems like he wrote more than just this, though.

Anyway, can't seem to find it on instocktrades. Wonder if it's out of print or something.

http://i.imgur.com/4sc4xsk.jpg[img]

This seems interesting as well since it was done by Jeph loeb and Tim Sale.[/QUOTE]

Man without Fear is just the origin story, and actually the last Daredevil thing Miller wrote (93). It's a good starting point. His entire 80's run is collected in [URL="http://www.amazon.com/dp/0785185682/?tag=neogaf0e-20"]this[/URL] He started out as the artist, then started doing the writing as well. This was his debut as a writer, and it's fascinating to see him improve over the run.
There's also his seperate 'Born Again' story, with David Mazzucchelli.

Yellow is worth it for the Sale art alone

Reading some of the back and forth about the new Batgirl direction has been fascinating. All of hype for the relaunch followed by what seems to be a split reaction; some people who love it so some who hate it. I fall somewhere in the middle, I dropped the book but wish it no ill will, I'll keep an eye on it and pick it back up again when I feel it matches my tastes.

The secondary and tierchiary discussions about "fun" and "dark" are equally engaging and perplexing to me. It's as though people don't understand you can be fun and dark at the same time. Or that dark can be fun. They aren't as mutually exclusive as some comics bloggers and reviewers would like to think.

Yep, I just finished the newest Superior Foes.

Well, seeing how Fred and the others act, it's easy to understand why Silvermane wanted out.
As that gta5 guy (trevor?) mentions, the flaw in any criminal enterprise is that you're trusting people that systematically break the law. Or something along those lines.

Poor Shocker.

Messi

Definite maybe.

We know Messi is voting for Harley. Rat Queens and Sex Crims need support, too.

When does it start again? I have the first trade, just need to sit down and read it.

I didn't vote for the futures end harley issue. So I don't always vote for it. But usually.

--

Care to mention one of these fun dark books? None of Gail Simones Batgirl was fun. Babs will need counselling when she hangs up the cowl.

Messi, it's Friday (or Saturday on the Moon I don't know how Moon time works) why haven't you been losing your god damn shit about Harley / PeeGee?

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Has there ever been a comic book club on gaf? Like where theres a monthly thread to get people to read an arc or a run or something? I dont do floopies so im always out of the loop here lol. For example i just read all star superman and that would work perfectly.

Plus it would be a great way to introduce new readers

I've always been up for the idea of a comic book club, but it seems that not enough other people are interested.
If it was going to happen though, I'd definitely prefer to do it in this thread though rather than in a separate thread.

So apparently Marvel is doing a Big Thunder Mountain ongoing? Color me EXCITED

Hah. How weird. I can't imagine it'll be too great, but it's definitely intriguing.

Man without Fear is just the origin story, and actually the last Daredevil thing Miller wrote (93). It's a good starting point. His entire 80's run is collected in this He started out as the artist, then started doing the writing as well. This was his debut as a writer, and it's fascinating to see him improve over the run.
There's also his seperate 'Born Again' story, with David Mazzucchelli.

One day I'll get around to buying that omnibus... I even decided not to buy two of the three "Daredevil Visionaries" paperbacks covering Miller's run for just $5 each because I plan to get that omnibus eventually. Eventually being the key word.
With that said, I really hope Marvel reprints the Companion and Elektra omnibuses. I especially want those.

Kipp

Sounds like the strangest comic ive ever heard about o_O

Here's a little more info.

That loud noise chugging towards you? It arrives March 2015 and has a name: BIG THUNDER MOUNTAIN RAILROAD.

This five-issue limited series by writer Dennis Hopeless and artist Tigh Walker is the newest adventure under the Disney Kingdoms imprint, the historic collaboration between Marvel and Walt Disney Imagineering.

Freakin USPS didn't deliver my order AGAIN yesterday, this time because it apparently requires a signature. First time one of my orders wasn't just dropped. Gotta pick it up from the post office tomorrow.

JUST WANNA READ SHE-HULK AND MS. MARVEL DAMMIT :<

So with the TV show coming out soon and whatnot, I've been kind of interested in reading some Daredevil stuff.

mob5TJB.jpg

This is the famous Frank Miller run, right? Seems like he wrote more than just this, though.

Anyway, can't seem to find it on instocktrades. Wonder if it's out of print or something.

Hope you find it. It's got the best last line in comics history.

tim1138

I started reading Age of Ultron on Marvel Unlimited out of boredom last night (stupid World Series travel days) and got about halfway through it. I don't think it's near as bad as the internet hyperbole, but I wouldn't exactly call it great either. It just kind of is there.
At this point in the story I'd give it a sillymonkey out of BenjaminBirdie.

I started reading Age of Ultron on Marvel Unlimited out of boredom last night (stupid World Series travel days) and got about halfway through it. I don't think it's near as bad as the internet hyperbole, but I wouldn't exactly call it great either. It just kind of is there.

What part of Captain America standing up or sitting down did you find most compelling?

Did you get to the part where Cap stood up?

It was mostly disappointing because Ultron stories tend to be few and far between, and Bendis had already screwed up the last notable Avengers vs. Ultron story in his Mighty Avengers run.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I think it jumped the shark in the middle. The apocalyptic Part in the beginning was great, the rest really lame.

Boogiepop

Started Justice League Unlimited yesterday. Might take some adjusting to get used to the solo episodes vs multiparters of the other series, and it feels like a bit of a mixed bag thus far. The adaptation of "For the man who has everything" was of course great, but it's a bit of a shame that they wimped out on the ending and didn't follow through. And Question made the Power Girl episode fun, though it was a bit of a weird one otherwise. And then the Hawk and Dove episode and the intro one felt kind of weak. Also, not feeling the rock soundtrack thus far.

tim1138

What part of Captain America standing up or sitting down did you find most compelling?

ViewtifulJC said:
Did you get to the part where Cap stood up?

I found the standing to be quite riveting, I can only hope Whedon is able to replicate such drama on the big screen (yes, I know they aren't related in any way other than name). I believe the last issue I read Cap spoke and it changed the Ultron Universe forever.
It looked like there was a bunch of tie in books, but I'm skipping all that noise and sticking to the main event.

Started Justice League Unlimited yesterday. Might take some adjusting to get used to the solo episodes vs multiparters of the other series, and it feels like a bit of a mixed bag thus far. The adaptation of "For the man who has everything" was of course great, but it's a bit of a shame that they wimped out on the ending and didn't follow through. And Question made the Power Girl episode fun, though it was a bit of a weird one otherwise. And then the Hawk and Dove episode and the intro one felt kind of weak. Also, not feeling the rock soundtrack thus far.

Kids Stuff and This Little Piggy is next, you don't find something to love in those two you are DEAD TO ME

also, Bayonetta 2 comes out today. We finally made it, guys.

My favorite thing about AoU is the parts where Luke Cage dies off camera during a two page sequence of just people talking because Bendis got unchangeable pages from Hitch like three years earlier, probably 78 drafts ago, so he had to transpose an issue's worth of action beats into two pages of monologue.

I rag on DC a lot, but that was the most astonishingly blatant example of poor comic development I have ever seen.

tim1138

My favorite thing about AoU is the parts where Luke Cage dies off camera during a two page sequence of just people talking because Bendis got unchangeable pages from Hitch like three years earlier, probably 78 drafts ago, so he had to transpose an issue's worth of action beats into two pages of monologue.

I rag on DC a lot, but that was the most astonishingly blatant example of poor comic development I have ever seen.

Thanks for the unmarked spoilers, now it's been ruined for me.

Kipp

Hahaha. That's incredible. Can someone find me a link to those two pages? I want to see this.

Messi

Did my first IST order

ALL NEW X-MEN PREM HC VOL 05 ONE DOWN
BATMAN HC VOL 05 ZERO YEAR DARK CITY
BLACKSAD HC VOL 01
CAPTAIN MARVEL TP VOL 01 IN PURSUIT OF FLIGHT CAPTAIN MARVEL TP VOL 02 DOWN
FBP FEDERAL BUREAU OF PHYSICS TP VOL 02
GOTHAM CITY SIRENS TP BOOK 01
HARLEY QUINN HC VOL 01 HOT IN THE CITY PHONOGRAM TP VOL 02 SINGLES CLUB
SHE-HULK TP VOL 01 LAW AND DISORDER
SILVER SURFER TP VOL 01 NEW DAWN
SOUTHERN BASTARDS TP VOL 01 HERE WAS A MAN
SUBURBAN GLAMOUR TP VOL 01
UNCANNY X-MEN PREM HC VOL 04 VS SHIELD

readImage

Did my first IST order

ALL NEW X-MEN PREM HC VOL 05 ONE DOWN
BATMAN HC VOL 05 ZERO YEAR DARK CITY
BLACKSAD HC VOL 01
CAPTAIN MARVEL TP VOL 01 IN PURSUIT OF FLIGHT CAPTAIN MARVEL TP VOL 02 DOWN
FBP FEDERAL BUREAU OF PHYSICS TP VOL 02
GOTHAM CITY SIRENS TP BOOK 01
HARLEY QUINN HC VOL 01 HOT IN THE CITY PHONOGRAM TP VOL 02 SINGLES CLUB
SHE-HULK TP VOL 01 LAW AND DISORDER
SILVER SURFER TP VOL 01 NEW DAWN
SOUTHERN BASTARDS TP VOL 01 HERE WAS A MAN
SUBURBAN GLAMOUR TP VOL 01
UNCANNY X-MEN PREM HC VOL 04 VS SHIELD

readImage

I've only read Captain Marvel vol. 1 of your list, but I enjoyed it, art aside. Hopefully your order doesn't take too long to arrive.

Pretty great interview with Giffen on CBR about JL3K and the current state of comics.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=56549

Some highlights:

-Again, Beetle and Booster ARE Beetle and Booster, as last seen in I Can't Believe It's Not the Justice League. No shenanigans, it's really them -- they got the Fry treatment.
-On that note, Ice is the same Ice (she's a goddess after all) but changed by a thousand years or so, and Fire will be Fire (promises more on that).
-That said, don't expect a full JLI reunion any time soon. They're introducing a whole crop of new characters the next few issues, but they don't want to lose sight of the main cast either.
-Giffen has at least three years of story ideas banked for JL3K, that may or may not ever see the light of day. Anything can happen.
-On the current state of comics, Giffen remarks that "asses have tightened" compared to the JLI days, BUT that within the last year or so there's been an unclenching among editors allowing creators to take risks.
-Of course, that also means that if a book fails it's on the creators to take the blame for that failure if the editors are being hands-off.
-Fans have every right to trade-wait, it's their money; just don't complain when a book is canceled because you weren't buying it. Sales = longevity.

http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/DC/JUSTICE-LEAGUE-3000-TP-VOL-01-YESTERDAY-LIVES-(N52/JUL140244

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom