• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2014. Witches, wytches, and things that go GROOT in the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Deadline reports that "Riverdale," a drama seriesbased on Archie Comics, has landed at FOX with "Arrow" and "The Flash" executive producer Greg Berlanti at the head. The show will be written by Archie Comics Chief Creative Officer Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa.

What in the hell... this has a 99% chance of being the worst thing ever put on TV, but that 1% still has me excited. I want to see some Afterlife with Archie weirdness somehow thrown into the mix.
I need to be at the auditions, in real life I am Jughead.

I am pretty sure all of the recent Marvel events have at least one comicgaffer who will go to bat for em. I liked Age of Ultron, for instance. Birdie liked Fear Itself.

Messi

I have an irrational amount of Lady (Read: Harley) statues in my home. Me shit talking figure gaf is like throwing rocks out of my glass house.

ReAxion

Speaking of Parlov, I bought Starlight 1 - 6 from my LCS on Wednesday... I haven't started it yet and I'm super apprehensive since Millar is the writer, but my friend swears by it so I'll be back later this weekend with some impressions.

I'll vouch. I have no prior Millar experience, simply picked up at the price drop cuz of Image #1s and itchy CMX finger. I keep saying it's good and my seasoned comics friends keep replying "Millar, tho."

Messi

Seller cancelled my X-Statix order due to incorrect shipping cost. Meh. Guess I'll give up on X-Statix and hope they release complete trades sometime.

fauxtrot

Banned
That is kinda nutso.

Pffft. Messi, you wish you had dis many waifus.

lol.gif

Even without retail price the shipping is 30-40. Amazon is currently charging £95 free shipping. All other dealers in there will sell the book for less with insane shipping.

Amazon isn't as great as they used to be. And third-party sellers can be ridiculous. They do the trick with shipping so their price will be higher on list due to the way Amazon sorts marketplace sellers.

Zombine

Banned
Freeza's got his own, real life anime harem. It's like what would happen if Tenchi Muyo was real life, and swapped Japan for Toys R Us.

A+

Messi

Amazon isn't as great as they used to be. And third-party sellers can be ridiculous. They do the trick with shipping so their price will be higher on list due to the way Amazon sorts marketplace sellers.

It's true but in the case of omnis they are heavy and coming from another country. Amazon free ships to Ireland and order over 25 but with X-Statix they are charging list price which makes a shit deal. I assume it's because the book is out of print. Usually they are fine.

I do hate the third party seller shipping Bullshit. Book depository charges 4€ per book shipped and ships books in the same order one at a time in shipping envelopes. I got 10 single packages one time.

I feel like an amateur in the pro leagues.

The closest I could come is if I posted my 5000+ heroclix figure collection.

Is that enough obsession GAF? Can I be one of you?

I once seen a video of what some people do with those statues

Yeah, they call it "hot gluing". I can't say I approve. Those poor waifus.

I feel like an amateur in the pro leagues.

The closest I could come is if I posted my 5000+ heroclix figure collection.

Is that enough obsession GAF? Can I be one of you?

Ha ha, I really don't consider it an obsession. I've been collecting them for several years, and I don't have them all out on display at once. I have two detolf cases and a billy bookcase from IKEA, and that's what I limit things to. I don't want them taking over the whole house, after all.

oh man. This looks amazing. Day one.

Boogiepop

My male statues actually outnumber my female statues by a pretty high number, unless maybe if the CLAMP chess set counts. I'm also really, really not a fan of the more fanservice style statues out there. The swimsuit/maid wearing variants that thrust their chests at you and whatnot. Closest I have is a Lum in a nonsexual position, since her normal attire is the whole tiger-stripe bikini thing.

Yeah it's a real shame, it looks really cute. More diversity in art is always a good thing.

It took me a bit to warm up to her new, huskier design. That's more because I'm so used to seeing her drawn the other way.

I'm also really, really not a fan of the more fanservice style statues out there. The swimsuit/maid wearing variants that thrust their chests at you and whatnot. Closest I have is a Lum in a nonsexual position, since her normal attire is the whole tiger-stripe bikini thing.

Which Lum figure do you have? Kotobukiya just released a really cute one, but I passed on it because she has generic anime-girl face instead of actually looking like Lum.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
On my phone but here's a quick and dirty on why I think both are gr8:

The thing about Parlov for me is that he can do both comic and deathly serious, often within the same drawing (which is why he's the perfect dude for Barracuda). He does ultra violence and gore in a way that's completely frank and horrifying in a way that makes it seem effortless. He's got a knack for caricature, he draws impossibly hard men and impossibly beautiful women and every single line is confident.

Fury MAX is kind of the ultimate Ennis comic. It's really only missing an Irish dude and a disfigured person that's mocked. It's one of the most damning indictments of the American wars in the latter half of the twentieth century that I can remember reading in comics. El-P and Killer Mike like to fuck and rap; Fury likes to fuck and fight, and he can't stop. One of the most interesting things about Ennis for me is his Ameriphilia and Fury MAX is a great exploration of that. War comics should make you feel sick. And that's what Fury does

Fury Max was my first exposure to Goran Parlov, and I was floored by his work. Frye pretty succinctly said exactly what impressed me about his work, but I'd add that his vision for characters is pretty fucking impeccable. The way he ages the main crew throughout the story is entirely plausible, and smooth as shit considering the amount of time-period shifts.

Thanks for the write-ups! Those are definitely some solid reasons for me to appreciate Fury MAX and Parlov more. I'll keep all that in mind while I read the second half of Fury MAX.

Yeah well you're wrong. I'm wrong.

EVERYONE IS FUCKING WRONG

Except for me, because I've never read a Marvel event! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom