• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2014. Witches, wytches, and things that go GROOT in the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FinalHeaven

Neo Member
So I've got some of the Fire and Stone comics I missed incoming because I've sort of been getting back into the whole Aliens/Predator/ETC scene lately and I'm wondering if someone who's reading it could help me understand the chronology?

I'm understanding it's somewhat loose, but the the Aliens: Fire and Stone comics come first?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Read Thor: The Mighty Avenger. I like how it combines the modern setting with 60's superheroes (Iron Man came out best), and manages to have a decent love story. My favorite issue was Thor getting drunk with the Warriors Three. Also loved Thor's facial expressions, the art here really is incredible. However, even though it has tons of charm, it feels more like a fun little collection of vignettes than a real story, but how could it be since it's unfinished. It's just plain cruel to leave this hanging, especially as it was only a miniseries to begin with.

What makes me excited though, is that the artist for this is also the one for Waid's Daredevil. I should really look into his run sometime... after I finish my pile of other books.

My favorite page from the series:

0Jpnrkp.jpg

fauxtrot

Banned
Wow, how have I never read that Thor run? He's one of my favorite Marvel heroes...

edit - If you like Samnee's art, you're doing yourself a disservice by not reading Waid's Daredevil.

sogood.gif

Read Thor: The Mighty Avenger. I like how it combines the modern setting with 60's superheroes (Iron Man came out best), and manages to have a decent love story. My favorite issue was Thor getting drunk with the Warriors Three. Also loved Thor's facial expressions, the art here really is incredible. However, even though it has tons of charm, it feels more like a fun little collection of vignettes than a real story, but how could it be since it's unfinished. It's just plain cruel to leave this hanging, especially as it was only a miniseries to begin with.

What makes me excited though, is that the artist for this is also the one for Waid's Daredevil. I should really look into his run sometime... after I finish my pile of other books.

That shit is funny though.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Wow, how have I never read that Thor run? He's one of my favorite Marvel heroes...

edit - If you like Samnee's art, you're doing yourself a disservice by not reading Waid's Daredevil.

sogood.gif

I know. But I have to finish other stuff first (Uncanny X Force & X-tatic omni)

That shit is funny though.

His reaction to the phone ringing is pure gold, best panel of the book.

Boogiepop

It took me a bit to warm up to her new, huskier design. That's more because I'm so used to seeing her drawn the other way.

Which Lum figure do you have? Kotobukiya just released a really cute one, but I passed on it because she has generic anime-girl face instead of actually looking like Lum.

34925.jpg

This one. It was a bit of an impulse purchase at my last anime con, as I really wanted a Lum. Definitely would've at least preferred green hair, though I think the pink appears on enough of the covers and whatnot to at least be an interesting alternative to the norm. (Takahashi really wasn't good at nailing down hair colors herself till at least Inuyasha!) Oddly enough I actually picked up two pink haired anime figures at that con, though I actually prefer the Utena I grabbed.
utena-sega-figure-600.jpg

This one.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Got my IST haul today. :D

This is what I've gotten in the past 2-ish weeks.

y8Fj57i.png

RBdYFb0.png

Read Y the Last Man, Ghost World and Battling Boy so far. Working on Aurora West right now.

Got OK-ish deals for 100 Bullets and Y off Ebay.

y8Fj57i.png

RBdYFb0.png

Read Y the Last Man, Ghost World and Battling Boy so far. Working on Aurora West right now.

All of this is good. Except Sex Criminals. Otherwise you did good.

kd-z

I also just bought my first Omnibus. X-Statix
Man, I really should finally crack mine open. I've been waiting for the right moment since late August!

Is it weird if I'm always two pages late with my replies? I can never catch up with this thread :<

Messi

All of this is good. Except Sex Criminals. Otherwise you did good.

Not gonna argue for it, but Sex Criminals is great.

Man, I really should finally crack mine open. I've been waiting for the right moment since late August!

Is it weird if I'm always two pages late with my replies? I can never catch up with this thread :<

Wait until you get to the post where they cancel my order.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
All this waiting for the Big Hard Sex Criminals OHC to pop up on Amazon is soooo anoying :(

Matt Fraction is the best. Love this guy since I read his Iron Man. In a perfect world, he would write Spider-Man :(

hey, don't get me wrong I'm glad you dudes like that book. Not for me though.

Matt Fraction is the best. Love this guy since I read his Iron Man. In a perfect world, he would write Spider-Man :(

Fuck. That would be awesome. Too bad Slott is set on writing AMS until we all are dead.

Is the movie Ghost World based off this comic? Good to see you've read Y the Last Man. I think you should've gotten the hardbacks though. I like the cover of Incognito. I might have to check that out.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Just read that Squirrel Girl preview. I really didn't think I was going to like it, but that was just great. Color me excited.

Boogiepop

hey, don't get me wrong I'm glad you dudes like that book. Not for me though.
Clearly you're just some sort of prude! Next you'll be saying you're not interested in Bayonetta!
It's cool, not everything is for everyone. If you don't like something then you don't like it.

Also, I have to hold strong till Sunday for Bayonetta so I can use it to get that deal on the Best Buy club thing. Hopefully I can make it!

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Is the movie Ghost World based off this comic?.

Yup. Not the same story, though, it's more the feel and style of the comic in movie form.

I think you should've gotten the hardbacks though. .

Those cost soooooo much, though. D:

It was 58 with shipping for the full run on Ebay. It's like, what, 150+ for the HCs? Would've gotten those if I could have found a good deal on ebay but they cost way more there then they do new.

Also, not really a huge deal but 1-4 are a different printing then 4-10. Looks out of place on my book shelf and it makes me cry.

fauxtrot

Banned
Is the movie Ghost World based off this comic? Good to see you've read Y the Last Man. I think you should've gotten the hardbacks though. I like the cover of Incognito. I might have to check that out.

Yep, the movie is (loosely) based on the comic... my friend that owns my LCS found this amazing Enid vinyl figure for $2 at a thrift shop. I dunno what it's worth, but she's about a foot tall and has her accessories.

vinyledin.jpg

Busaiku

So I'm guessing Miles will be integrated into 616, and the rest of the universe will be nixed.
Are there even any other series still running?

Thank you so much for that. Gods, the art in that thing looks terrific. Hunting it down right now.

fauxtrot

Banned
It was 58 with shipping for the full run on Ebay. It's like, what, 150+ for the HCs? Would've gotten those if I could have found a good deal on ebay but they cost way more there then they do new.

Also, not really a huge deal but 1-4 are a different printing then 4-10. Looks out of place on my book shelf and it makes me cry.

It drives me absolutely nuts when this happens... thankfully, I'm now a member of the digital comics master race and don't have to worry about this kind of stuff any longer!

Messi

Jesus Christ that 90's Deadpool was hilariously shit art wise starting out and I had no idea what the hell was happening and then it got suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuper dark in the middle.
deadpool murdering his family with no dialog at all
. Fuck I feel dirty.

Thor: The Mighty Avengers appears to be an oversight in my Thor reading as well. Gonna have to fix that. Sucks they didn't finish it though.

Looks like I'll be trying Squirrel Girl too, because it looks like it might actually be pretty fucking funny

...even if she will almost certainly be responsible for the death of Earth-616

Boogiepop

So here's a question for you guys: what examples are there of cartoons straight up adapting a comic book story? They're obviously always taking elements and characters in the cartoons (and movies) for comic book characters, but a full on adaptation of a story feels more rare. Obviously all of those DC movies are straightforward. I also believe the really old Spiderman show did this some for the first season or so but then moved away from it, and I KNOW the Fantastic Four show did it (I actually watched the Galactus episode shortly after reading the story in an essential, and it was like shot for shot, word for word.) Mainly thinking of this because it was cool seeing Justice League Unlimited do "For the man who has everything," even if they cut out Jason Todd (which doesn't matter that much) and softened the ending a bit.

B:tAS did my favorite "straight from the page" adaptation, The Laughing Fish, which was pretty damn faithful for a 22-min cartoon. One of the darkest episodes of the series, too.

Edit: oh drat, I'm afraid this doesn't meet your criteria at all! My memory of the comic is that all of that stuff happens in one story, but I suppose that is the cartoon's influence; it is apparently all based on three different Joker stories. Oops!

Omg f print... My shop still don't have replacement Batgirl books. Also supergirl is still in whatever that doomed junk is and the only Harley cover they had left was some ugly hyena thing cover. I left with no comics =(

We'll f print and diamond..the Barfield and Harley thing is diamond I guess

Messi

Omg f print... My shop still don't have replacement Batgirl books. Also supergirl is still in whatever that doomed junk is and the only Harley cover they had left was some ugly hyena thing cover. I left with no comics =(

We'll f print and diamond..the Barfield and Harley thing is diamond I guess

Take that print comics! Another win for digital.

I hope you get your books soon though.

Nice! On your way to COMICS SUPERSTARDOM.
dude nice
Yeah, right?!? Comics Alliance is the only place I check for comics stuff multiple times daily. Outside of this thread of course.

Very nice! Congratulations on sharing the same page as all of that other great art! You definitely deserve it.

Thanks, lots of dope pieces in there. Mine isnt even the best Spider-Gwen in there haha

Is Ed our first legitimate comics superstar?
Gary Whitta had a book coming out from Image right? I don't think he's ever hung around here tho. I'm pretty sure this means that in order for me to ascend to superstardom, I need to kill Whitta.... or get him banned. Either works I think.

Damn man,, that's sick. Good shit good job

I think we may need to get a Batman commission in the works brossive...
Just sent a PM your way!

-_-

i drew a webcomic for four friggin years
illustrated infinite jest (INFINITE FUCKING JEST) for the graphic canon
drew a card for a gaddamn best show premium card set

but TTOB says one word and my legacy is CBR.

that dude is the worst forever
I liked having him around. Varied our collective tastes a bit and was always super passionate about what he liked. He was a top notch hater though! He could throw shade with the best of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom