• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2014. Witches, wytches, and things that go GROOT in the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
A questions for all of you who have read comics for a while. Are there any "big" comics you haven't read at all? Books that usually pop up in the 'my first comic book' recommendation threads, e.g., Sandman or Watchmen or Dark Knight Returns?
Like how Messi hasn't seen Star Wars

Sandman
Transmetropolitan
Read half of The Invisibles
Fables

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I actually forgot: I read something Superman related, it was All Star Superman, but this was ages ago. I really have to re-read it again.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Neither have I.

Probably never will. From the little bits I've seen, the art looks awful.

This one, too. For the same reasons.

I can't get over how dumb the main character's design is.
I fucking love this post.

Messi

You really want nocenti's dialog on that? After what happen to Klarion?

What happened to Klarion? From what I was told here it was shadowy, confusing and mysterious ect. Some people even enjoyed that intrigue. I don't think they realize that it is confusing because Nocenti is a shit writer.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
i95tUTn.jpg

Kill it with fire.

Canucked

A questions for all of you who have read comics for a while. Are there any "big" comics you haven't read at all? Books that usually pop up in the 'my first comic book' recommendation threads, e.g., Sandman or Watchmen or Dark Knight Returns?
Like how Messi hasn't seen Star Wars

I've been reading comics for ...a long ass time... and I've never read Tank Girl or Hellboy.

I haven't read any of the essential Garth Ennis stuff:

Punisher
Preacher
Hitman

Actually, the only thing I have read by him is like the first half of The Boys.

I haven't read any of the essential Garth Ennis stuff:

Punisher
Preacher
Hitman

Actually, the only thing I have read by him is like the first half of The Boys.

Just read Preacher. Punisher and Hitman are fine, quite wonderful actually, but Preacher is a masterpiece. It's the only comic I've ever read that I can actively quote directly, and do, at least once a day.

I mean, I dare you to walk through the city without saying "Fuck out the way, dipshit," under your breath at least once a day.

#Preacher

Boogiepop

Dang, people in here need to read themselves some Sandman! Also, I'm sure there's a ton of gaps that I've got. Off the top of my head I really feel like I need to read some Hellblazer at some point.

Also, got Bayonetta 2! Hooray!

Cheska

Cheska what pods do you listen to?

Oh boy! Let's see:

Talking Comics
Talking Games
The Hangout
Comics Conspiracy
iFanboy
Beyond!
3 Chicks Review Comics
Assembled After Dark
SLink FM
Women of Marvel
The Infinite long box
Less than Live

Oh boy! Let's see:

Talking Comics
Talking Games
The Hangout
Comics Conspiracy
iFanboy
Beyond!
3 Chicks Review Comics
Assembled After Dark
SLink FM
Women of Marvel
The Infinite long box
Less than Live

This post with that avatar was particularly funny, the excitement of pouring out all these links.

Boogiepop

I have the same message for both of you:

Get on it.

Those of you who are listing what you haven't read yet, you are making your next IST order and you don't even know it yet.

I definitely plan to, yeah. Just kind of out of money for the year. I guess I'd be good to just grab the new numbered printings and keep up with that for Hellblazer? Is there any point of the series to avoid or is it pretty much all good? I admittedly haven't looked into it too heavily yet because I was focusing on getting Hellboy and whatnot more or less caught up first.

Oh boy! Let's see:

Talking Comics
Talking Games
The Hangout
Comics Conspiracy
iFanboy
Beyond!
3 Chicks Review Comics
Assembled After Dark
SLink FM
Women of Marvel
The Infinite long box
Less than Live

Have you listened to Decompressed? I have been catching up on all the old episodes.

It's good to see Sixis not selling well, even though Marvel is papering the damn thing with free copies and pennies. If they try to reduce those events next year as minis it's gonna hurt them and Atillan Rising.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Oh boy! Let's see:

Talking Comics
Talking Games
The Hangout
Comics Conspiracy
iFanboy
Beyond!
3 Chicks Review Comics
Assembled After Dark
SLink FM
Women of Marvel
The Infinite long box
Less than Live

I wish the iFanboy guys still did a video podcast. It was so gooood.

Those of you who are listing what you haven't read yet, you are making your next Amazon.country order and you don't even know it yet.

I guess that's fine. Anyways I'm going start rounding up some books to take with me on my 2.5 week holiday getway in December — mostly what's on comixology wish list though.

Canucked

It's good to see Sixis not selling well, even though Marvel is papering the damn thing with free copies and pennies. If they try to reduce those events next year as minis it's gonna hurt them and Atillan Rising.

As somone who is easy prey for events, and even liked Age of Ultron, I don't care for Axis. I hope it flops.

I guess that's fine. Anyways I'm going start rounding up some books to take with me on my 2.5 week holiday getway in December — mostly what's on comixology wish list though.

I love your avatar so much. I hope they bring her back (I haven't read any after progeny so shhhh)

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I've been reading comics for ...a long ass time... and I've never read Tank Girl or Hellboy.

Oh my goodness. Since you're someone who particularly appreciates a good OHC, you NEED to at least pick up the first Hellboy Library Edition. By far the best hardcover I own, both in quality of the book itself and in content.

Just read Preacher. Punisher and Hitman are fine, quite wonderful actually, but Preacher is a masterpiece. It's the only comic I've ever read that I can actively quote directly, and do, at least once a day.

I mean, I dare you to walk through the city without saying "Fuck out the way, dipshit," under your breath at least once a day.

#Preacher

Seconded.
I am too excited for my re-read. I've forced myself to wait a tiny bit longer to start the re-read so that I don't have to stop in the middle of the series while I wait for volumes 5 and 6 to arrive (which I'm ordering when 6 comes out on Tuesday). Waiting was too hard though, so I compromised and read the first issue. Sooooo goooooooood.

Edit: Oh, and speaking of best things, off topic, but this is also best.

Canucked

Oh my goodness. Since you're someone who particularly appreciates a good OHC, you NEED to at least pick up the first Hellboy Library Edition. By far the best hardcover I own, both in quality of the book itself and in content.

I have been tempted, and have been meaning to read it for years. But that's an expensive drug you're pushing.

I love your avatar so much. I hope they bring her back (I haven't read any after progeny so shhhh)

I was really into Witchblade during my teenage years, but it reached point where stopped buying them( there weren't any comic shops near me any more, is one reason) so I missed a lot it seems. I only started getting back into it with rebirth series.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I have been tempted, and have been meaning to read it for years. But that's an expensive drug you're pushing.

Yeah, I was put off by the price for a while too, but eventually I just went for it since I wanted to read some Hellboy so badly and just bit the bullet. However, now that I've got it, I know that it's more than worth the asking price. Everything about it is just pure quality. The Absolute-size dimensions, the super thick paperstock, the fantastic binding, the cloth cover. And not to mention the fact that the comic itself is my favorite thing ever. I enjoy Mignola's writing and art in Hellboy more than pretty much anything else in comics.

If you want something a little cheaper though, this Hellboy art book for $11 is a fantastic product. It's the exact same build quality as the other Library Editions (Absolute Edition-sized, super thick paper, though the binding on it isn't as fantastic as the other Library Editions) and it's a really great book in general. It's pretty much 130 pages of Mignola Hellboy prints, so if you like Mignola's art, I'd definitely go for it and get a little taste of what the Hellboy Library Editions are all about.
It might be a little weird to buy a book of bonus stuff before buying the book itself, but I'd recommend it anyways if you like the art. Haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom