• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2014. Witches, wytches, and things that go GROOT in the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Read through the first two issues of Manhattan Projects in the morning. I didn't like them.

I loved them.

Just finished Shazam TPB (new 52). It was decent. It started out strong i liked the first half a lot,, second half was kinda bland and a little goofy at times. Pretty good tho.

I've been reading Blacksad and Blankets lately,, they are both really good. Blacksad is a fuggin beauty. Just wow.
Blankets is what I thought it would be,, a really good read so far. Really getting to know and feel for the main character and his world.

Zombine

Banned
Blacksad is always good, but the other two books are not as flawless as the first collection. I think Amarillo was the weakest of the three, but still better than most on the market.

It was only a matter of time. (Newsarama)

VgWaZKd.jpg

Mumei

Hey, COMICS-GAF. How good is Morrison's New X-Men? I saw a used Omnibus edition at a place near me going for $60, and if no one picks it up before my credit card resets I'm considering getting it.

Even though I still haven't read that X-Statix Omnibus I bought :x

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Hey, COMICS-GAF. How good is Morrison's New X-Men? I saw a used Omnibus edition at a place near me going for $60, and if no one picks it up before my credit card resets I'm considering getting it.

Yeah buy it now.

It's my favorite X-Men thing ever. Morrison & Quitely evolve the X-Men from most convoluted, nostalgic continuity in comics into a stylish, modern interpetation that elevates them out of the standard superhero goulash.

The biggest knock against it is the inconsistant, revolving door of artists.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

Incredible run, definitely pick it up. Mac the Knife is right though, quality of the art can be inconsistent. You should read Whedon's Astonishing X-Men after this if you haven't.

arkon

You can get it new for $72.50 from IST.

Zombine

Banned

It's amazing. As a long time X-Fan it is my favorite run next o X-Statix. Get it now. Frank Quitely & Morrison is like chocolate and peanut butter.

Filthy Slug

It's amazing. As a long time X-Fan it is my favorite run next o X-Statix. Get it now. Frank Quitely & Morrison is like chocolate and peanut butter.

Line in the sand, pick your side:

Chocolate and peanut butter OR Bananas and peanut butter.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Civil War
Age of Ultron vs. Marvel Zombies
Age of Apocalypse
House of M
The Infinity Gauntlet
Years of Future Past
Planet Hulk
Armor Wars
Old Man Logan
Inhumans Attilan Rising
The End (of the Ultimate Universe)

I am guessing all of these are going to be one-off issues leading to (or as part of) the Secret Wars event, rather than mini-events themselves, but I'm probably way behind everyone else on that.

Messi

Chocolate and Peanut butter. Is that nice?

Also Peanut Butter and Jelly is not actually Jelly right? That sounds nasty.

Bananas are truly the most disgusting shit. Hate them.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Since we're already talking food, I just got home from work and found out that my parents came back from wherever they were, ate all the eggs, then left again. So now I have no eggs. What am I supposed to eat now.
So now instead of making a ton of eggs and then finishing Fury MAX, I have to go to the store and buy eggs and then hope I'm still in a comics-reading mood when I get back.
The day is now utterly, hopelessly ruined.

Filthy Slug

Since we're already talking food, I just got home from work and found out that my parents came back from wherever they were, ate all the eggs, then left again. So now I have no eggs. What am I supposed to eat now.
So now instead of making a ton of eggs and then finishing Fury MAX, I have to go to the store and buy eggs and then hope I'm still in a comics-reading mood when I get back.
The day is now utterly, hopelessly ruined.

Did they leave a note that said "thanks for getting She-Hulk cancelled, son."?

Kipp

Did they leave a note that said "thanks for getting She-Hulk cancelled, son."?

It was more along the lines of "We heard you completely ruined comics for everyone. We're disappointed in you, Kipp. PS: We didn't even eat those eggs. We just tossed 'em down the sink to see if the garbage disposal could crack an eggshell. As it turns out, it did it with ease. This was fully expected, but we had to be sure."

I eat like two or 3 a day. Love them, they taste weird as hell.

I used to eat a ton of bananas, but then I kind of fell out of love with them. The magic just wasn't there anymore.
Although, best pancakes ever: 1 banana, 4 eggs, 1/4 cup of pancake mix, blend, cook, enjoy the most fluffy, moist, delicious pancakes ever. A little lime on top makes it even better.

My usual pancake recipe is 5 eggs, 1/8th-1/6th cup of pancake mix, and a tiny bit of milk though. Bananas have a lot of sugar so I don't really make the banana pancakes anymore.

Oh, and while I'm listing all my pancake recipes, pumpkin pancakes: 5 eggs, 1/8th-1/6th cup of pancake mix, 1/2-ish cup of canned pumpkin, way more cinnamon and nutmeg than you'd think is necessary, and a few shakes of salt. Real good.

Also Peanut Butter and Jelly is not actually Jelly right?

Grape Jelly. Like this

welchs-grape-Jelly.jpg

I eat like two or 3 a day. Love them, they taste weird as hell.

Proof Zombine is irradiating himself from the inside out, very slowly. Eating 2 banana's a day for 2 years is equivalent to the amount of radiation some one living 10 miles from Three Mile Island received, when that shit went down. Of course they got it all at once.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
2JQub91.jpg

So excited for the Marvel Studios Event tomorrow :D
It will be so glorious when they finally reveal that Spider-Man is coming in the MCU

Wont happen and I will be so disappointed...

Goldrush

While I think the middle dragged a bit, it's worth a read since it redefined the X-Men by pushing them out of the Xavier-Magneto era. Interesting to think back when his run just ended a decade ago, everyone was worried that Marvel will retcon everything back to status quo (especially with what they did to Xorn).

While I think the middle dragged a bit, it's worth a read since it redefined the X-Men by pushing them out of the Xavier-Magneto era. Interesting to think back when his run just ended a decade ago, everyone was worried that Marvel will retcon everything back to status quo (especially with what they did to Xorn).
I think it helped that there was a crop of writers who were big Morrison fans so they kept using his elements when they saw fit. Aaron, Remender, Gillen in particular. Weapon Plus, Fantomex, Jeans death, Scott and Emma, Xavier stepping down, Quintein Quire stuck around for the longest

Zombine

Banned
Proof Zombine is irradiating himself from the inside out, very slowly. Eating 2 banana's a day for 2 years is equivalent to the amount of radiation some one living 10 miles from Three Mile Island received, when that shit went down. Of course they got it all at once.

9e1d48984a070847336f78e3d589e328.gif

frye

In the end the most damaging thing to X-Men after Morrison was Decimation, which was not inherently a bad thing but ultimately left the comics in a holding pattern where everything stalled until the status quo was restored

Kipp

Are there any comics that have a large focus on cars/driving/car chases? I never really thought to ask about that, but if there was something like that I'm sure I'd enjoy it.
I wonder if I should check out Initial D...

Zombine

Banned
You're just mad there were no furry boobies in it.

I just felt like this story was a bit more disjointed than the other two books. Not a whole lot of Blacksad, didn't really care about any of the characters, and there was
not a single boob to be seen.

It was good, but not my favorite release.

In the end the most damaging thing to X-Men after Morrison was Decimation, which was not inherently a bad thing but ultimately left the comics in a holding pattern where everything stalled until the status quo was restored

I think cutting all the mutants down to the popular ones made them less effective, just as a concept. Even after Messiah Complex supposedely gave them directions, to go to this "Divided We Fall" thing and just twiddle their thumbs until the big move to San Francisco. The San Francisco move ought to work in part by playing off the traditional metaphor that mutants equal minorities. But by getting rid of almost all the mutants, M-Day has left the X-books with too few mutants for that metaphor to work any more. The whole island thing was a real dud, I don't know if I blame Fraction or Greg Land or whoever for that, but I can't imagine its a period anybody is gonna look back on with fondness.

All my favorite X-Books of that period tended be tetirarly connected to that status quo. Whedon/Cassaday Astonishing X-Men just outright ignored it, BKV/Immonen Ultimate X-Men was another universe, Uncanny X-Force had its own thing going on. I have to commend Kieron Gillen for doing anything of worth with his brief stint on Uncanny X-Men, but honestly that was the first time that book was legit good since Claremont left 20 years ago. Crazy we lived in a world where the main X-Book wasn't the one you'd recommend to people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom